Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepo

The Freeman
Reaction score
The Stand: 8.5/10

Apropriately anti-climactic, but more so than I would have liked

Andy McNab: Crossfire - 9/10

As always. Can never put his books down.

The Lost World 8/10

Pretty entertaining and interesting.

Comic was.. The Long Halloween- 8/10

Before that it was Watchmen- 10/10

Catch-22: 9/10

Before that...

Brave New World: 5/10

Maybe that's too harsh. I just didn't like it that much and didn't much care for any of the characters, especially in comparison to 1984. The same thing happened when I read Fahrenheit 451... it was just kind of meh.

Helter Skelter: 6/10

A pretty good true crime book, but it could have used better writing and less tedious lists of facts.

V for vendetta: 9/10

interesting, original, but the art style although cool, was sometimes confusing, and the girls were really ugly.

Darkly Dreaming Dexter 9/10 Fantastic

Bread Givers - 4/10

Broke jews in America trying to live isn't a particularly original idea

Philip Pullman - Northern Lights 9/10
Philip Pullman - The Subtle Knife 9/10

Reading through The Amber Spyglass now. Fantastic books, wish I had picked them up sooner.

George Eliot - The Lifted Veil
7/10

Lovely little thing.

Also Catherine Belsey - Critical Practice
9/10

A Clash of Kings - George R. R. Martin 10/10

Excellent series so far. I hope it doesn't go the same way as the Wheel of Time.

Currently reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I rate it 10/10. It's my favourite one in the series, followed by Order of the Phoenix, followed by Prisoner of Azkaban.

I honestly can't rank any other Harry Potter book besides Hallows.

1) Deathly Hallows
2) Everything else

What was very wonderful about Hallows, aside from finally being actually quite nasty, was that it definitely shook things up. When it came out I re-read the preceding two books, just to get up to speed on the story, but by the time I started number 6 I had become very bored. Because I knew that the novels would have to follow exactly the structure of a Hogwarts term. I was able to predict when the rises and falls would come. By removing the action from the school context Rowling made the best possibly move, pitching the characters into an unpredictable dangerland where anything could happen and things genuinely felt - well, frightening.

Last book I read was Critical Practice by Catherine Belsey, which was seriously great. Complex, difficult, yet lucid - I recommend it to anyone with an interest in literary theory, in the processes by which we perform the act of reading itself.

Haven't read an actual book in ages, due to revision...well, that's going to change. I just found out my Dad has a signed copy of Inversions by Iain M Banks.

What was very wonderful about Hallows, aside from finally being actually quite nasty, was that it definitely shook things up. When it came out I re-read the preceding two books, just to get up to speed on the story, but by the time I started number 6 I had become very bored. Because I knew that the novels would have to follow exactly the structure of a Hogwarts term. I was able to predict when the rises and falls would come. By removing the action from the school context Rowling made the best possibly move, pitching the characters into an unpredictable dangerland where anything could happen and things genuinely felt - well, frightening.

Totally agree. There is not a single dull moment in Hallows, whereas, like you say, bits in the other books could get a little dull. Hallows certainly had me near tears on a few occasions:
Hedwig, Dobby and Fred were the deaths that got me
and it's such a great book that sometimes you can be intending to read for just ten minutes but you end up reading for over four times that!!!

What's Left - Nick Cohen

Fantastic book.

Dearly Devoted Dexter 9/10

This is a fantastic series.

So Long And Thanks For All The Fish 8.9/10

Oh Trilogy of Five, you get funnier every time I read you...

The October Horse - 8.5/10

I prefered Caesar, or First Man in Rome, but still... this had the Alexandrian Civil War in it, so I'm not complaining.

2Iron Kat: Andrey Zhvalevsky,Igor Mytko
This book series (4 books) is Russian(and Belarussian) parody,just great (sometimes better than the original HP).
here,I have a fan translation: http://zhurnal.lib***/m/mekallx_m_s/pga01.shtml
These are the first 2 chapters...not the best quality but still good.However,the original book names main hero as "Porry Gatter".I think the name was changed in translation not to take it for Harry.Pity these books have no complete translations....they are just great.
on-line russian archive:http://www.fenzin.org/library/author/1435

Don Quixote- 7/10

I didn't actually finish it. I got about a quarter of the way through, and liked it pretty much, but then there was the love story between the crazy guy and the farmer chick and it went on for aaaages and it really put me off. But there are fart and vomit jokes, lol.

Watchmen: 10/10

Probably the best graphic novel ever.

V for Vendetta: 9/10

Very good - better than the movie.

Philip Pullman - Northern Lights 9/10
Philip Pullman - The Subtle Knife 9/10

Reading through The Amber Spyglass now. Fantastic books, wish I had picked them up sooner.

Awesome trilogy. Plan to read through them again this summer.

The How and the Why - David Park

An awesome book about scientific history, from Plato to Quantum Theory. :bounce:/10

The Solaris Book of Science Fiction Short Stories - volume 2

This is really fantastic. It's an anthology of original sci-fi shorts, all written recently, with contributions from Michael Moorcock, Neil Asher, and a bunch of other people I've never heard of. There are some wonderful stories in here: highlights are iCity, about a town whose districts shape and reform on the regular command of competing urban landscape artists, who compete for public votes and popularity; Mathralon, a weirdly-related account of the mining of a rare mineral, and Eyes of God, about ten minutes in the shoes of somebody about to go through a nightmare airport security of the future - one that can read your intentions.

Kitchen Confidential 9/10

My weird obsession with chefs stays on course. Funny, dark, informative, and not at all what you expect in a book that's supposedly about cooking. Learned as much about drugs as about food.

YEAAAH BOOKS

Bring on the Apocalypse by George Monbiot
Journalism and articles. Monbiot ably exposes the terror and the corruption behind the western world's policy, especially with regards to the third world and the environment. Main subjects are the extent and power of fundamentalist religion (Arguments with God), the utter inadequacy of the world's green policy, and dishonesty of the warming 'skeptics' (Arguments with Nature), the awful truth of the Iraq conflict, and how journalists repeatedly conceal it (Arguments with War), the destruction and sorrow visited on the poor world by the rich one, and the capture of government by corporations (Arguments with Power), how companies and the rich escape prosecution or blame for crimes that, in others, would be lambasted (Arguments with Money). This is an illuminating book - a book to make you angry.

Macbeth by William Shakespeare
Hells yeah bitches. It's got witches. And - britches? I'd never read it before and I liked how doomy and gloomy it was, and also how ol' Shakey Bill surprises you with riddle-mysteries. Oh, so that's how he wasn't born of woman! etc.

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchet
One of those times when you pick up a book, read with mild interest, and then just end up reading the whole thing. Highly enjoyable, and the older I get the more I appreciate how smart the man really is - thankfully he pulls no punches and gives no ground in his politics.

World War Z by Max Brooks
Same deal. "Oh, I guess I'll just read...the whole book!" Fun, but clumsy; Brooks isn't exactly a masty at differentiating the different voices of his characters (either over or underdoing it), and sometimes you get tired of people saying it "actually" did this or that "actually" happened. Occasionally you note with irritation the constant references to a very narrow range of pop-cultural items, and you wander if everybody is referring to this stuff because Brooks himself lacks the culture to refer to anything else. Still, some wonderful moments, and by damn I hope the film gets made.

Four Jacobean City Comedies by various artists
These are hilarious. Basically four plays from 1606-1630 (or something) and all of them concern tricksters, whores and criminals of one type or another. There's always a moralist's heart somewhere in the script, frumpishly condemning the exploits of the immoral characters, but you can tell that the playwrights themselves are having far too much fun revelling in the villainy. And they are funny! From four hundred years ago, they are seriously funny!

*play whose name is unlucky to say* was written to be played, not read. Shame on you, Sulk!

Making Money - Terry Pratchett. Up there with his best. Mr Moist, what a name :)

Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman. I enjoyed this more than American Gods. Mythology and a funny, lazy pace.

Prey- 5/10
A mediocre thriller, smarter than some, but its not very good literature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back