Rate the last Book/Comic you read

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Walking Dead series. 8.5/10

Basically a comic book series set during a Zombie Apocalypse, following the adventures of a rural small town sheriff. I heard good things about it and gave it a look see. Overall not too bad, though it seems that the only people who weren't effected/infected were pretty much all Joe Averages and so far no one with any really brains has turned up (guess the smart brains lure the Zombies or something), and often the characters seem to veer around like drunken Soap actors in their behaviour. Half the problem for the survivors seems to stem from their own ineptness and inability to reason, as it does from shambling undead. Still it's fairly compelling at times, and there is a degree of morbid fascination in seeing how far the writers will go in terms of shock/surprise deaths. People get snuffed with alarming regularity, and often surprising choices, it's no holds barred brutal in that respect.

I've been ranting and raving about TWD for a while now, good to see another reader! I love it, though I agree, often the whole concept of ''it's more of a people book than a zombie'' book does get a little trudging, but overall it's probably one of my favourite comics at the moment. What issue are you on? I just got my hands on Issue 50, the latest.

The penciller/inker, Charlie Adlard, lives about 6 miles away from me! :D I was stoked when I found out, it being an American comic n' all.

Stormbreaker - 4/10

Had to read one book for school during the summer, my choices were full of suck, and well, this was too.

I'm up to 49, Everything has just gone completely tits up at the Prison big time. Indeed it is good but as I say, the lack of smart characters does worry me a bit, principally because I have a slight fear that Kirkman can't actually write smart (it's like no one knows what a map is it seems...). Ricks not exactly struck me as the sort of person who'd of made a good sheriff at times. Plus I didn't really buy the whole town gone to hell aspect. The leader was quite clearly psychotic, and I can't really see even after 9 months or so, everything going to wrong that people would willingly let someone like him run their lives. Still at the end of the day it is comic book fiction, so one shouldn't be too critical.

Old Man and the Sea-Ernest Hemingway.

9/10. I loved it.

A Feast for Crows - George R. R. Martin 9/10
-1 for Martin being a bastard and giving no info at all on Jon, Tyrion, Davos and Stannis.

Haven't read anything in forever. Thinking about getting The Watchmen

Don't think, just do it.

I actually just finished reading the Watchmen again. It never ceases to amaze me no matter how many times I've gone over it, though it's been a while since I last read it so it was nice to see and read all those many great scenes somewhat fresher.

Rorschach's death always really, really saddens me. It's such a blunt scene but it's incredibly powerfull. It's a page I always seem to flick through to randomly just to soak it in some more

Don Quixote- 7/10

I didn't actually finish it. I got about a quarter of the way through, and liked it pretty much, but then there was the love story between the crazy guy and the farmer chick and it went on for aaaages and it really put me off. But there are fart and vomit jokes, lol.

There were plenty of fart and vomit jokes in Canterbury Tales. Unfortunately, they didn't make it any more enjoyable. Ugh :x

American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis- 10/10 (One of my favorites, and the funniest satire I've ever read)

Less than Zero also by Ellis- 9/10 Would have been 8 but the escalation of the situations the character gets in starting around four fifths through the book are greatly disturbing to read.

I'm reading Fountainhead by Ayn Rand now and getting into it.

American Gods: 7.75/10
Shit started out pretty cashly, but got shitty at the end and a tid bit shitty in the later portion of the middle, but it's a good book.

I am Legend + 10 short novels by....... the guy who wrote I am Legend - 9/10

Nice, in a wtf-esque way.

The curious incident of the dog in the night time- 9/10

That's an absolutely great book. A Spot of Bother by Haddon is also awesome.

I've just finished reading The Colour of Magic. 10/10. I'd forgotten just how good it is.

AWESOME book. My brother is on the autism spectrum, and it both reminded me intensely of him at times, and gave insight to some of the stranger things he's done. Just really, really good.

Oh, and The Colour of Magic is goddamn hilarious as well.

Anyway, I just re-read Neverwhere (Neil Gaiman), and I give it a 9.5. Utterly brilliant- the characters, storyline, and atmosphere are so well-defined and... well, for lack of a better word, f*cking awesome.

I just read the first Blacksad graphic novel. man that was pretty awesome, the art work is amazing, and the story is pretty solid, with a nice anthropomorphic twist to the characters. I highly recommend it if you like fairly short, thriller/detective style comics. Price tag seems a little high on amazon though.

Art - 9/10 - Only because some scenes I've noticed can be a little dark, colour wise.

Story - 8/10 - fairly cliched but its good nonetheless.

Overall - 9/10 - Fun, enjoyable and interesting. :p

Born to be riled by Jeremy Clarkson.

Well, its by Clarkson. What more needs to be said? 10/10.

Shadow of the Hegemon 8/10 Not as good as the others of the series, but still a very good book

I am Legend - 8 or 9/10
Very good, if short, book. Took me two evenings to read but I could have finished it in one. Much better plot than the film and just very good. The last third of the book isn't quite as good as the other two (but it's fantastic compaired to the crapfest that was the final third of the film) and could probably have been better but it was still very entertaining and interesting.

Xenocide 9/10 Much more "out there" than the first two but Card managed to pull it off in a believable fashion. Eager to read the final book.

Currently reading Empress of the World. So far I would rate it 8/10. I don't know if any other girls have read it......

I Am Legend (Graphic Novel) 8/10 Very interesting

Civil War: The Marvel event- 9/10

The main book and Spiderman's story.

Finished a manga series called Bitter Virgin.

Up until the last chapter - 10/10 Dear God you are one of the most touching, tear-jerking things I've ever read and I have half a mind to e-mail the author about how beautiful this is.

Last chapter - 8/10 Feels slightly anticlimactic. Also, hints about the future of the protagonists are rage-inducing.

On the Beach - Nevil Shute

Post-apocalyptic novel where nuclear war wiped out the northern hemisphere, and people in Australia are waiting to die as the radiation gets blown south with the wind. They manage to keep things going much as they were before, so there's nothing violent or horrific. But the way they know fairly accurately when they'll die and try to delude themselves or do the things they enjoy while they still have time.... pretty depressing.

8.5/10

Next book to read: either The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, or Earth Abides. I ought to pick happier books...

On the Beach - Nevil Shute

Post-apocalyptic novel where nuclear war wiped out the northern hemisphere, and people in Australia are waiting to die as the radiation gets blown south with the wind. They manage to keep things going much as they were before, so there's nothing violent or horrific. But the way they know fairly accurately when they'll die and try to delude themselves or do the things they enjoy while they still have time.... pretty depressing.

8.5/10

Next book to read: either The Diving Bell and the Butterfly, or Earth Abides. I ought to pick happier books...

So do they all die in the end? :eek:

Currently reading Empress of the World. So far I would rate it 8/10. I don't know if any other girls have read it......

I've finished reading this now. I would now rate it 9/10. It gets very cute at the end!!!!
I'm now reading a book from the Torchwood series: Border Princess by Dan Abnett. I really want to read the Twilight Streets. Has anyone read that one?

So do they all die in the end? :eek:

Yep. There was no way to get out of it. The pharmacy had little pills that they gave out for free so people could kill themselves before the radiation sickness got really bad, and syringes if you needed to kill a baby.

Through the Looking Glass- 8/10

Not quite as entertaining as the original story, I don't think, and didn't seem to have the same classic feel to it. Hard to explain. Also, some things I had read outside of Lewis Carroll's works distracted me (things like what certain characters were meant to portray, things like that) so I was thinking more about that than the story.

Hellboy: Right Hand of Doom and The Chained Coffin-9/10

First time I have read any of the hellboy comics and it was somewhat different than what the movies led me to believe Hellboy was. I like them very much however, the art is great, the stories are short and sweet, the folklore and how it's built in is brilliant. Oh yeah oh yeah.

Oh yeah, I love Hellboy. While the movies are good, they're a bit different in tone to the comics - which always carry a strange sense of solemnity, or pregnant tension, or inestimable mystery. And the characters in the movies are far more pronounced, more like caricatures (which fits, but can be disgruntling). Also, in the films nobody knows about him, so you get this slightly cliched "oh god the world thinks I'm a freak" subplot, whereas in the comics everyone is like "oh hi hellboy".

You should read some of the longer stories. Seed of Destruction is alright, but Wake the Devil and Conquerer Worm are fantastic.

EDIT: Got damnit scifi channel why didn't you pick up Screw-On Head you sons of a bitches.

Old Man and the Sea-Ernest Hemingway.

9/10. I loved it.

I agree. "The Old Man & The Sea" was an excellent story by Mr. Hemingway. Over the years I have read that story of his, more than any other.

A great series I just finished, was the "Twilight" vampire series by Stephanie Meyer. In my humble opinion, I think she is a much better author than Anne Rice when it comes to writing about vampires. Believe it or not, my car insurance sales lady turned me onto the series a couple months ago when I went in to change my policy. Not sure how we got onto the topic of books, but she told me about a series she was reading that she thought was good. I told my wife & she suprised me a few days later with the first book in the series & I was instanty hooked. A movie has been made based on the first book & like most movie trailers for any given movie, it looks to be very interesting. I plan to watch it on opening day. (11/21/2008)

Movie Trailer: - http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/twilight/

Official site: - http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/twilightseries.html

1) Twilight - 8.5/10
2) New Moon - 8.5/10
3) Eclipse - 8.5/10
4) Breaking Dawn - 10/10

-MRG

Filth - 9/10

Another Irvine Welsh number. I really enjoyed it. I liked the dark humour that was splattered all through it, even though the plot, characters and setting have either very little redeeming features or contain a very bleak and depressing tone.

It's a book that would nauseate a reader with a squeamish side or weak stomach, but the whole thing has an undeniable draw to it that makes you read on.

Highly recommended.

Watchmen - 8/10

Holy ****.

It was a bit hard to understand, but nevertheless I liked it. Especially the bit where the mask-wearing pervert gets busted by SWAT.

The ending.... was a bit sudden... It wasn't a truly great ending.

I was about to buy Watchmen the other day when I saw that Terry Pratchett had a new book out.

Get it. The it is of the uttermost essence that anyone who likes graphic novels/comics read it.

Watchmen - 8/10

Holy ****.

It was a bit hard to understand, but nevertheless I liked it. Especially the bit where the mask-wearing pervert gets busted by SWAT.

The ending.... was a bit sudden... It wasn't a truly great ending.

That's referring to Rorschach, isn't it? If you got that he was a mask wearing pervert, maybe you didn't completely understand it.

The Dark Knight returns- 9/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back