Rate the last Book/Comic you read

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently reading all 94 volumes of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

I rate Phantom Blood (volumes 1-5) as a 10/10.

'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy 10/10

Started reading about 10 in the evening last night, and finished it about 9.30 this morning (with a few hours kip in between).

Absolutely enthralling to the point where the fear, desperation and fragility the book exudes becomes palpable.

I certainly recommend it, though I warn you there are a couple of deeply harrowing scenes that will haunt you. McCarthy tackles the subject of survival in a sober and clinical manner that puts human sentiment so firmly to the side, that it forces you to wonder how you'd handle it or not.

If you've read it:-

Man I did not see that cellar scene coming at all (even though it should of been obvious), it pretty much completely creeped me out..in fact the mental imagery just won't go away.......

Look to Windward - 9/10

Iain M Banks awesomeness as usual. I wish he'd suddenly reveal that it's all true and he's a SC agent. Siiiiigh.

That would be SOOO dreamy
swoon.gif

the zombie survival guide 10/10
when all you lot have been eaten alive i shall be forced to repopulate the earth
with all of the victorias secret models who have obviously had the sense to read the same book

the zombie survival guide 10/10
when all you lot have been eaten alive i shall be forced to repopulate the earth
with all of the victorias secret models who have obviously had the sense to read the same book

I'd recommend reading World War Z by Max Brooks as well, it's a pretty good read.

^will do thanks.
also
Dispatches- Michael Herr 10/10. 3rd time reading it, still a brilliant look at his experiences during the Vietnam War.

Currently reading Another Life by Peter Anghelides. It's another one from the Torchwood series, the first book actually. So far I'd rate it 8/10. It's quite gross in parts (some of it you definitely don't want to read while you're eating!) but the storyline is very good and gripping. There's a lot of mystery involved as well, which is always good!

Shadow Puppets 8/10

Great characters and plot as usual with Card, but I felt like there wasn't a really good build up of suspense for this one. It was just kinda like blablablaSUDDENCLIMAX!

RIP Achilles
One of my favorite villians ever

Batman: Year One
Shorter than I'd hoped, but I wasn't really sure what to expect from it to be honest. It left me with mixed feelings. Loving what was there but wishing there was more and that things were expanded upon, like Batman's relationship with Dent.

One reason I was always against comics was the rediculous and convuluted continuities. So picking up a reboot of Batman's story from the beginning seemed like a good idea. I thought that there were comics that were direct sequels to this but reading up about the continuity after this has just confused me again. What the hell follows on from this. One would have thought Batman: Year Two but aparantly Green Lantern erased that comic ?_?
This is why I hate comics. So what the hell comes next? Or should I just skip ahead to the Long Halloween or just read Watchmen instead?

Edit: So it goes Year One, the Monster Men, the Mad Monk, The Man Who Laughs, The Long Halloween, correct? That seems to be it. Right. I'll just buy Watchmen instead.

I'm really struggling to get into Watchmen. So far - 1/4 of the way in - it's been painfully dull. It better get better or i'm blaming certain individuals in this thread!

On that note, probably my first post here ever (I'M CANS READED):

Batdude and Long Halloween - 9/10

Somewhat vastly awesome. Nifty to see the parallels between this and TDK. Enjoyed the art style as well, although I think they went a little overboard on the Joker...

I'm really struggling to get into Watchmen. So far - 1/4 of the way in - it's been painfully dull. It better get better or i'm blaming certain individuals in this thread!
Stick with it. It starts pretty slow, and I found the comic-within-a-comic segments a bit much to endure at times, but it picks up eventually.

I found Watchmen very interesting from the start. Still reading it at the moment. And Darkside, I think I'll pick up the Man Who Laughs before the Long Halloween. Even if it isn't as good, it's the correct order, right? And seeing as Christmas is coming up I should be able to get one/both for nothing!

Finished all of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure.

I previously said Phantom Blood was a 10/10. This is correct, but somehow Battle Tendency managed to be better than it, so it's a 12/10. 11 is not enough. It is THAT good. Also, CAESAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!

Stardust Crusaders is an 8/10. I don't know why everyone likes this part so much, though. I think it's just because this is the beginning of stands. The characters are great, but the storyline itself is kinda meh. But it has THE WORLD. Also Kakyoin.

Diamond is Unbreakable gets 9/10. This is actually a much better arc than Stardust Crusader in my opinion. Another great cast of characters but I felt the story in this one was better. It was more focused. Killer Queen is such an awesome villain, too.

Golden Wind I'd give it a 7/10. Good characters, okay story. There wasn't anything actually "bad" in this one, and there were some good moments, but it was pretty much just STANDS STANDS STANDS. But to its credit, Narancia. Good heavens. Also everybody in this arc is fabulous.

Stone Ocean...look, I just finished reading this part JUST now. I'm dead tired from being up all night, I was falling asleep going through the last volume, fell asleep on the last chapter, woke up ten minutes later and finished reading it...man I don't know what the hell is going on. I want to give it a 5/10. I had a hard time getting into it. But I just finished it, and the ending is tripping me out on a level that I'm trying to deal with. That ending is like WTF/10. I just read 15 years worth of manga, like 700 chapters, and this is how the JoJo series ends? It's not good, and it's not bad. It's not anticlimactic; it wraps things up in its own way. But it's just...I can't explain it. The ending doesn't factor into the score of the rest of the arc. The ending probably deserves its own score. Or no score at all.

And now I need to read Steel Ball Run, because it plays off of that ending.

a hellboy book- I forget which one, I lent it to a friend- 7/10, it was about the baba yaga trying to get helloby's eye, the whole book was one story and was drawn by another artist that was not mike mignola, which I don't really like, but the book was good still.

hellboy- the troll witch and others- 8/10
had more stories in it, which I prefer, and the one longer story was very interesting. Also had other artists, but I can deal.

edit: aha, it's called "darkness called"

Watchmen
Brilliant overall but I only want to discuss the ending here.
When the giant mutant was revealed my first thought was not actually about how weird/brilliant the plan was but rather more along the lines of "I didn't realise there were psychics in this novel." Maybe they had been mentioned and I just hadn't noticed but it was annoying that the big plot reveal hinged partially on a concept that I didn't know existed in the comic's world. Perhaps if psychicness was elsewhere in the story. Maybe Moloch could have been slightly psychic or if Owl Man (original) had mentioned a psychic superhero in his book (he did seem to hint at there being more than one man with extra-ordinary powers, although the only one he names is Jon).

As I was reading I found the ending a bit underwhelming, but the last page made up for it. A great novel/comic/series.

Rising Tide 9/10

Marvelous, loved Patton and Rommel.

I'm reading Anansi Boys right now, and so far... wow. Hope it ends well.

hellboy- seeds of destruction 5/10

didn't like this one. Art was great, but the story wasn't. In my opinion.

Anansi Boys 10/10

****ing loved it. Need to find more from this author.

H.P. Lovecraft - Dagon, The Nameless City, The Hound, The Festival

Why have I only started reading his weird shorts now? I am actually honestly scared to set foot out of my house after nightfall. Not really, but I've never been more afraid, or with a feeling of uncertain most dread, in my entire life when it has come to something like a book (in the same vein as games, movies, shows, etc)

Neal Stephenson - Anathem - 9 to 9.5/10

Recommended, especially if you liked Cryptonomicon and/or Snow Crash. About the same length as Cryptonomicon (~1000 pages) but I was able to read it a lot faster. Not as ricidulous(ly awesome) as Snow Crash, but it has

aliens

The Crow 10/10

Wow. This was brilliant. I really felt the emotion. A little depressing but a fantastic read nonetheless.

Currently about 3/4 way through Watchmen.

Brilliant so far.

A Game of Thrones, GRRM.

Colour me impressed. I just bought the next two.

H.P. Lovecraft - Dagon, The Nameless City, The Hound, The Festival

Why have I only started reading his weird shorts now? I am actually honestly scared to set foot out of my house after nightfall. Not really, but I've never been more afraid, or with a feeling of uncertain most dread, in my entire life when it has come to something like a book (in the same vein as games, movies, shows, etc)
H.P. Lovecraft is the only author besides Stephen King that wrote something so sketchy that I got goose bumps all over my body, had to put the book down and turn on the lights.

Neverwhere and American Gods are cool ones by him. Also, one he worked with Terry Pratchet on, was Good Omens, very good one.

What this guy said :)

Good Omens is great fun - possibly my favourite book - and American Gods is awesome.

The White Tiger - Aravind Adiga 8/10

Less cliched than I expected, considering it's an India centric book. (Also a booker prize winner)

Three graphic novels I got for Christmas:

Batman: Arkam Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth
Very interesting art style. Manages to be a bit ****ed up but still comprendable. Some bits remind me of a Goya painting. I liked Dent's portrail and I'm not sure why but I particularly liked the line about
God creating the Earth when the Moon landed scratched-side up.
Unfortunatly I wasn't familar with all the characters so I probably didn't get as much enjoyment out of it than others might. In the end
it seemed to all build up to nothing. The thing with Dent was really good but then everyone just leaves Batman walk out and then what? Do the inmates just happily go back to their cells? I'm sure many would but the situation is never actually resolved in the story. I know the comic wasn't really about the riot but it just seems cheap that it doesn't get resolved.

The Dark Knight Returns
Brilliant. Great writing and the drawing style is just how I like to see Batman. Great portrails of all of the characters (but what the **** are those baby-things the Joker has?). I normally hate to see Batman getting dragged into the wider DC universe but the relationship between Bruce and Clark in this is great. Kelly's parents are pretty rediculously one dimentional, but I guess it was just supposed to be a bit of comic releaf.

I also got the Joker's Last Laugh too but I can't be arsed writing a review but it was pretty dissapointing.

Ender in Exile 7.5/10

I don't know about this. All the characters are just as complex and interesting as ever, but I just didn't see any real conflict.
Admiral Morgan fighting for the spot for governor was the biggest dissapointment. Though some of their conversations were funny as hell, it was obvious from the start he wasn't a threat to Ender at all, just a power hungry fool. The stay in Shakespeare is very brief for all the build up to geting there. Arkanian was interesting, but he didn't seem nearly as intelligent as Bean to me, nor as evil as Achilles.
All in all though, it's an Ender book. And you can't go wrong with that.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn - 9/10

Thought provoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back