Rate the last Book/Comic you read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get it. The it is of the uttermost essence that anyone who likes graphic novels/comics read it.
I haven't read a comic in years, and all I ever read before was Sonic the Comic and Beanos. I don't want to get into the larger Marvel/DC universe because the continuities are so convoluted. I am interested in getting into graphic novels or certain pecific series of comics (eg Batman: Year One and The Long Halloween).

I spent a great deal of my younger years traveling & living overseas, so you can imagine that some of the comics I was exposed to, were a little different that what I came across during the time I lived here in the US. The ones I enjoyed most & so read were those listed below. Most others did not interest me.

Comics I read here in the US:
1) Conan
2) Groo

Comics I read Overseas:
1) Footrot Flats
2) Asterix
3) Tin-tin

-MRG

Surely it's a keen irony that, of your cosmopolitan collection acquired when travelling the world, one is an English language publication, and the other two (Herge) have become so popular outside of their country of origin that everyone I know read them as a kid? :p

It's like "hah, you should broaden your tastes - try some really exotic beer. Here you go - this is from the Netherlands. It's called Heineken."

I haven't read a comic in years, and all I ever read before was Sonic the Comic and Beanos. I don't want to get into the larger Marvel/DC universe because the continuities are so convoluted. I am interested in getting into graphic novels or certain pecific series of comics (eg Batman: Year One and The Long Halloween).

Watchmen is stand alone. It's 12 issues that all run into (or alongside, or before) each other.

It's really very good.

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Jean-Dominique Bauby

The book that the movie was based on (I never saw the movie)... written by a man who had a stroke and ended up with "locked-in syndrome" -- he's paralyzed except in one eye and some partial neck movement. He dictated the book letter-by-letter by blinking his eye as someone read the alphabet. The book is mostly short memories, little things that happen/thoughts and imaginings he has while in the hospital, etc.

8.5/10

Been on a bit of a graphic novel spree over the last two weeks...

Watchmen - 10/10

Third time I've read it now and I am just in awe once again. I become more and more attached to the characters every time I read it. Zack Snyder better do it justice. Or I'm gonna crack some skulls.

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth - 9/10

Among the best Batman graphic novels I've ever read and the art by Dave McKean is really something special. It's a little too short though. Read it four times in one night.

The Sandman: Preludes & Nocturnes - 10/10

Read it a second time because I'm planning on buying the series in full now I have a little more money. The Doctor Destiny and Hell sequences are my favourites in almost any comic book ever.

The Sandman: A Doll's House - 8/10

Again, read it for the second time and still didn't enjoy it as much as P&N. But I still have a strange desire to read it again. Also hints at a larger story which I look forward to discovering.

The Sandman: Dream Country - Calliope - 10/10

To read a short story twice in a row before even glancing over the next short story in the collection means it is something damn special. And this is damn damn damn special.

The Sandman: Dream Country - A Dream of a Thousand Cats - 8/10

A couple of bits made me quiver in a way that only Neil Gaiman can make me. But then some other bits felt a little out of place. It was the drawing in this comic that really made it wonderful.

That's referring to Rorschach, isn't it? If you got that he was a mask wearing pervert, maybe you didn't completely understand it.

Well yes, but I was quoting the police. :p (My friend lent me the Korean transaltion, while noting that I remind him of the New Frontiersmen editor, Rorschach, and the Comedian combined. I have yet to decide whether to be offended or not :p)

I just read it again, and 9/10, now that I understand it a bit more. The comic keeps shocking me again and again.

Too much sexuality for my liking though.

Yeah, I know what you mean. However, I still highly reccomend Watchmen.

I picked up Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets today by David Simon. Seriously looking forward to reading it whilst I wait for season 5 of The Wire to go down in price a little.

Lots of comics recently.

DMZ, Smoke, and The Exterminators.

Holy shit is the comics industry obsessed with 9/11 and Iraq!
Fuller assessment later.

The Stand: 6.5/10

I didn't like the story line and a crap load of the characters, Randal Flagg was such a pathetic excuse for a villan, and this book has quite a share of stupid unrealistic crap, but some characters amused me eg. "The Kid", "Trashcan man" (a bit), and Harold Launder (a bit.) This book is basically the Lord of the Rings in the USA.

Ecological Imperialism by Alfred Crosby.

Very, very interesting. Made me smack my head a few times and think 'why didn't I think of that?'

However, some of his points are a little lacking on evidence, and despite a very straightforward writing style, his chapters meander a tad. Overall though, very recommended.

I finished reading Border Princes the other day after reading it for a solid three hours just to get it finished. I've finally moved onto The Twilight Streets now (another one from the Torchwood series) that I've been wanting to read for ages. It has my favourite character (Ianto, for anyone who knows Torchwood) as a main character in the book and also has an awesome picture of him on the front cover.
Ianto is the guy in my av, btw, so that'll give you an idea of what he looks like.

The Trial of Colonel Sweeto and Other Stories - 10/10

Lovely Complex vol. 4

9/10

Laugh-out-loud moments combined with an engaging internal emotional struggle, brought to life with a fairly unique art style that just works. Definitely above the bar for a shojo manga.

Everybody Poops

9/10

A fantastic read that really had me coming back for more, at least once a day.

Visions of the Future: 7/10

Epic interweaving stories about Han, Leia, Lando, etc mixed in with occasionally tedious stories about Luke and Mara Jade gettin' it on while Zahn jossed other people's work. Still, quite well written, and even fake Thrawn is really ****ing awesome.

Nation: Terry Pratchett, 9/10.

A sad, happy, lovely book. It gets a +1 for being lovely.

The Killing Joke- 8/10

I wish it were longer, but alas. It aint.

World War Z
By Max Brooks

8/10

"The collective recalled personal memories and accounts of survivors of the Zombie War, from the first outbreaks, through The Great Panic, and eventually to victory, albeit in a world where spring thaws are times of fear in the north and coastlines always carry the risk of attack, and there are still "White Zones" where the undead rule."

The book is written in the format of a reporter who has travelled far and wide and recordec the accounts of survivors of a war that we consider impossible, from the people witnessing the first outbreaks of the Blight, through those who took advantage for their own gain, through stories of people merely trying to survive and those in the militaries tasked with defending their fast crumbling nations to the tide of infected, through civil strife and civil wars to those who finally reorganized and stood firm and those who would partake in taking back the world for humanity.

While there are some instances I felt personally seemed a bit stretched, one battle that seemed only plausible if every commander involved suddenly lost all military competence and logic and blaming the failure on Cold Warriors (even though Cold War planning was all about stopping human wave attacks) overall the book did a good job of really making the war seem plausible and real.

It caught well the human story behind it, how you would expect humanity to react and face the impossible that is the risen dead, and while naturally science has to be suspended in some small parts to believe in the zombies, overall Brooks does a good job of predicting how humanity recoils and reacts to the hell on Earth scenario that they are presented with.

I really like zombie apocalypse/modern civilization collapse type survival movies and this book was as interesting as any, leaving, as it was in this case, allot of gory detail to the imagination, you'll read everything from the politics of a zombie infested world to personal stories of survival, of accounts of bravery and cowardice, of the determination to survive and of people who simply let go of life.

It reminds me of allot of what I like about the HL2 series and thats the ever present sense of desolation and decay, and of that ever so faint glimmer of hope amongst a tide of hopelessness.

It touches on humanity by the stark contrast of the zombies complete lack of it.

So if you like that zombie stuff give it a read.

I'm about to start reading Demons by Fyodor Dostoevsky for class. Frankly I'm excited, I love Dostoevsky and I haven't read this novel yet. Not to mention it's homework... ahh, awesome.

I've finally gotten around to starting Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets by David Simon and I'm really enjoying it. I'll be honest though - If I hadn't of already seen all five seasons of The Wire, this might of been very slow and trudging reading as theres a hell of a lot of terms, buzzwords, phrases and other such cop chatter that would of gone right over my head otherwise. That said, had I read this before I started watching The Wire, maybe then it wouldn't of taken me til the end of season one to finally gather together all the crazy jibber-jabber I had just spent 12 hours sitting through.

It's brilliant, though, it really is, but then so is The Wire. It's just so engrossing looking into the lives of these dedicated, hard working good-****ing-poh-leece as they struggle against the impossible. I'm not too far into the book but I'm reading through the first major case (eleven year old girl strangled/stabbed and dumped in an alley) and already it feels just like how I felt when I was three or four episodes into The Wire - fantastically written.

The Steel Wave 10/10

Excellent WW2 book. Just started Rising Tide.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas- 9.5/10 Brilliant

Trainspotting- 9/10 Took awhile to get used to the writing style

Reading American Psycho..which is pretty great so far.

Trace Memory by David Llewellyn (another one from the Torchwood series) - 9/10. Very creepy but a bit difficult to keep track of the time lines, although that's really the point of the story.

1984 - George Orwell

infinite/10
Amazing, moving book. Best I've ever read, and I'm sure it will be the best I ever will read.

Jane Eyre 9/10

p. hot, good despite "chick book" reputation. Charlotte Bronte is a great writer.

American Pyscho 9.5/10

I felt physically ill a lot of the time while reading it.

Cemetary World... by Clifford Simak.

Other planets turned Earth into a giant Forest Lawn-ish cemetary, but ancient intelligent-battletanks rule the undeveloped wilderness beyond the gates... Crisp writing, believable characters...

I'm reading About A Boy right now after re watching the movie recently.

Alexander Pope's selected works

Can be pretty dry, and the poems are VERY rich/white Victorian style, but he's a clever rhymer and has a beautiful sense of word placement.

the poems are VERY rich/white Victorian style
Aha, so you think.

BUT THEN

you discover

that Alexander Pope died about ninety years before Victoria ascended to the throne!!!
dun
dun
duuuun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back