Rate the last Book/Comic you read

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to start reading The Blot, by Tom Neely. It's a graphic novel/book that consists of zero text, just images. It tells the story of a nameless everyday man who is troubled by a cloud of ink.

It looks amazing.

I'm about to start reading The Blot, by Tom Neely. It's a graphic novel/book that consists of zero text, just images. It tells the story of a nameless everyday man who is troubled by a cloud of ink.

It looks amazing.

I love The Blot with a deep, deep passion that may or may not be healthy. I'm kinda jealous of you for getting to read it for the first time.

Your a fan of Neelys work? Sweet! I can't wait to start reading, I'm just waiting for the right time... if that makes sense. Haven't got the right lighting in my room at the moment and I want to go over the pages in the finest quality.

I don't know, eh.

Ubik by Philip K. Dick - 8.5/10
Pretty good most of the way through, but the end was confusing.

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick - 6 or 7/10
Differed significantly from Blade Runner... I kinda prefer the movie.

No Country for Old Men by Cormac McCarthy - 9.5/10
Great book. Every chapter starts off with some internal thoughts from Sheriff Bell, so you get more out of his character from the book than from the movie.

Zodiac by Neal Stephenson - 9.9/10

This book is so awesome. Neal Stephenson is great. I'd say this book has about the awesomeness level of Snow Crash. It is about this guy who goes around in a boat cleaning up pollution... while being hunted down by people who want to kill him. Sounds ridiculous because it is. From the little summary on the back of the book:

"After his latest exploit, he's wanted by the FBI, possibly by the Mafia, and definitely by a group of Satanist angel-dust heads who think he's looking for a PCP factory, not PCB contamination."

Unrelated note.... I was wandering around the library and happened to notice a book called "The 7th Guest." I thought, "No way, someone totally did not write a book based on that old 90's DOS puzzle game, and get someone to agree to publish it." But then I looked inside, and yes they did. There were a few screenshots from the game interspersed throughout.

I figured I might read a few lines to see how awful this book was, and came across this one: "Brian Dutton wandered down the hall, trying doors. The first one was locked."

It was just like the game. *facepalms*

Awwww yeah, Zodiac is great.

26th feb
had sex with whatserface
hippy sex, on the beach
was shit.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
8.5/10

once the book actually gets moving it's great but the first few chapters are absolutely brutal and move like a snail in honey. the ending doesn't fit AT ALL in my opinion as well. it seems like something out of an action movie more than one of the deepest novels of the 20th century.

Watchmen 10/10 Exceeded excpectations despite all the rave recommendations you guys gave it. Stunning.

Marabou Stork Nightmares- 8.5/10

Another great one from Welsh.

Something In The Water by Trevor Baxendale (another one form the Torchwood series) - 9/10. It was good but still not the best Torchwood novel I've read; The Twilight Streets is still the best!
At the moment I'm reading Anything Goes, the autobiography of John Barrowman. I bought the re-released version which has personally hand-signed by John! I'm up to chapter five now but already I'd give it 10/10.

Read Watchmen a week ago. It's amazing. The artwork is flawless and the story is every bit as great.

10/10

Just catching up on the classics.

1984 - 9/10 - The second act sagged a bit for me, the third certainly made up for it. Thought provoking all the same.

Catcher in the Rye
- 9/10 - Quite melancholic, which was the opposite of what I was expecting. I would probably have to read over it again to pick up the vague symbolism.

Animal Farm - 8/10 - Good and fun to piece together the analogies and metaphors, but it didn't really grab me too much.

Lord of the Flies - 9.5/10 - Brilliant.

I'm onto Heart of Darkness next. Seriously, these books are like a continual downward spiral into madness. I can only see this next book as the climax.

Heart of Darkness is ****ing awesome. Conrad is amazing. I highly recommend like everything else he's ever written but particularly Nostromo and The Secret Agent.

Right now I'm reading Metropolis - 8.5/10

Crazy story and really mind-bending. Twiiiiisted.

World War Z - 9/10

Brilliant if somewhat 'unrealistic' (insofar as that applies to a book about the Zombie War) storytelling. Only downpoint is that every single person has an incredible vocabulary.

V for Vendetta - 3/10

No NO NO NO NO MAKE IT STOP MAKE IT STOP

THE MOST HORRID ENDING EVER. AQrgh.

I imagine so. Numbers prefers to be patronised than to be engaged.

Man... the last fiction book I read was probably back in... ****, 2002 or something.

I've read lots of nonfiction though.

Four Comedies: The Taming of the Shrew, The Merchant of Venice, A Midsummer Night's Dream 7/10

Pretty good I s'pose. Although Shakespeare's plot device of "SOMEBODY DRESSES UP LIKE SOMEBODY ELSE LOL" is a little overused. Midsummer was my favorite, although it's a little more confusing. Reading Twelfth Night now, and then on to Four Tragedies and then Prospero and then I'm done with my mandatory literature: Shakespeare edition. I'll probably be sick of it by then.

Anathem- 9.5/10

It was difficult to read initially but after the first 50 pages I couldn't put it down. I'll have to re-read it at some stage just to fully grasp the entire story (it was about 900 pages long).

Watchmen 9.8/10

Finished it a while back but some other books I'm bouncing around seem to be eating up my time....besides the 4-5 different magazines i read. for $5 a year you can't go wrong, plus i'd rather read something i can hold

Judge Dredd Complete case files 11 9/10
Marvel encyclopedia 9/10

currently reading best of Crime and zombie comics. Star Wars Invincible and a Forgotten realms book which coincidently i have forgetten the name of. All of the above for less than 14 pounds not including the FR bool which was free, so cheap because i joined a book club.

Also reading Bourne identity and Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy. be back with ratings ASAP

Anthem 7/10

Meh, there wasn't really anything wrong with it, and it had some very interesting ideas, but by the end of the book I was just finishing it for the sake of being done with it rather than any real interest.

Watchmen (first reread) 9/10

Still amazing. Every single time I get to the end of chapter 11 I get bad goosebumps.

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand
8.5/10

once the book actually gets moving it's great but the first few chapters are absolutely brutal and move like a snail in honey. the ending doesn't fit AT ALL in my opinion as well. it seems like something out of an action movie more than one of the deepest novels of the 20th century.

If by "one of the deepest novels of the 20th century" you mean a load of objectivist, egomaniacal bullshit and self-fellatio then you're absolutely right, but this filth doesn't deserve to stand in the annals of history alongside the great American novelists of the 20th century; Hemingway, Faulkner, Kerouac, Steinbeck, O'Conner, Salinger and their ilk. I hate Ayn Rand, almost as much as I hate the mindless trolls that actually are capable of subscribing her to wannabe philosophy.

This semester I'm taking a class on the 19th century Russian author Nikolai Gogol, and we're pretty much reading his entire literary output, so here are my ratings, all for short stories between 10-120 pages. (I strongly suggest for all of you to try reading him at some point):

Cycle: Evenings on a Farm Near Dikanka (Volume I, 1831, short story collection)

* The Fair at Sorochintsy (short story) (the basis for Mussorgsky's opera of the same name) 7/10
* St. John's Eve (short story) 7/10
* A May Night or the Drowned Maiden - 7/10
* The Lost Letter: A Tale Told by the Sexton of the N...Church 8/10

Cycle: Evenings on a Farm Near Dikanka (Volume II, 1832, short story collection)

* Christmas Eve 8/10
* A Terrible Vengeance 8/10
* Ivan Fiodorovich Schponka and his Aunt 9/10
* A Bewitched Place8/10

Cycle: Mirgorod (1835, short story collection, published in two volumes)

* The Old World Landowners 10/10
* Taras Bulba 10/10
* Viy 9/10
* The Tale of How Ivan Ivanovich Quarreled with Ivan Nikiforovich 8/10

Arabesques (1835, short story collection)

* The Portrait 9/10
* Nevsky Prospect 10/10
* Diary of a Madman 8/10

Other short stories

* The Nose (1836) 10/10
* The Overcoat (1842) 10/10

Next I read his famous plays Gamblers and The Inspector General and then his epic novel Dead Souls. I'm working towards a minor in Russian literature and this class is sustenance for my soul, I swear.

The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss 9/10
genre = coming-of-age fantasy
I read a lot of books, but not quite like this one. I was going to bed hours earlier than normal just to read some more, only turning off the light when I was about to drop the book on my nose from tiredness. Recommended, anyway.

The Heroin Diaries - Nikki Sixx 9/10
genre - memoir (drug addiction)

This was a pretty unusual read for me, which is apparent from the very onset for anyone. Morbid illustrations, comments from various people, random lyrics littering the pages, photos, etc. Its the memoir of Nikki Sixx who is/was the leader of Motley Crue (<< insert the little dot things and such), and who did a ****ing ton of cocaine and heroin and all that good stuff at the time.

I'd go into a tad more detail, but I'm procrastinating horribly on a paper and I need to stop.

World War Z - 9/10

Brilliant if somewhat 'unrealistic' (insofar as that applies to a book about the Zombie War) storytelling. Only downpoint is that every single person has an incredible vocabulary.

I was bought this for Christmas and finally got around to polishing it off the other day (my reading rate these days is slack bastard...).

I'd probably give it a 6/10.

It starts of pretty well (the premise is good), but it soon becomes abundantly clear that the author is fairly limited writer. The book excels in imagining the spread of the pandemic, the containment and the slow recovery, but it trades off of so many character, cultural & and racial stereotypes in the telling of it's tales (it's a collection of different peoples personal accounts of the Zombie War), that there is a sad predictability to each tale. The Russians are all calculatingly ruthless for the greater good, the Chinese are doggedly inscrutable, the Israelis out for themselves, the Indians are upright and polite, and the Good ole USA is here to save the day again ('sigh'). If your obsessed with Zombies, it's probably worth reading, but if you're after a good story look elsewhere.

Last book I read was Alien Encounters and I'm still reading it, it's an awesome book, It has stories about some of the best UFO cases. 10/10

Watchmen

****ing genius.. i'm interested to see how the film turns out, even though i know nothing can replace this. quite simply the best comic i've ever read.. jesus, what a heavyweighter.

Watchmen - 9/10...
Aside from the weird ass ending, I enjoyed it very much.

Angels & Demons - 9/10...
Excellent, kept me on the edge all the way through.

The Road 9/10

Very beautiful book. Quite liked the style and delivery, very confusing how a book can be so deeply dark and depressing yet simultaneously hopeful and uplifting.

Definitely gonna pick up 'No Country' at some point, seeing as I already love the movie.

Jesus, sounds like I really need to get a hold of Watchmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back