Rate the last Book/Comic you read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut.

Wow. Read it in a day. Truly amazing.

where-the-wild-things-are_476x3571.jpg

can't wait to see the movie. i now remember reading it when i was a kid but i never owned a copy. then i got the ebook and it was still amazing

Night 9/10 Very horrifying and moving. Also so densely packed with information it's virtually impossible to recall any names or locations, let alone any accurate timeline of events.

Dear sir(s),

We have noticed your ability to rate media may be malfunctioning.

We are currently dispatching our top experts to remedy the problem.

Your order will arrive in 6-8 weeks.

Thank you for being a valued customer.

They all just happen to be really good

Pattern Recognition - 8/10

Future is now, Gibson is a genius and I want Buzz Rickson MA-1 badly.

Angels & Demons - 9/10...
Excellent, kept me on the edge all the way through.

Seriously? I think Dan Brown is one of the most mediocre writers ever.

Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut.

Wow. Read it in a day. Truly amazing.

I think my ex still has my copy of this one. I haven't read it yet. I absolutely love Cat's Cradle and TimeQuake. Worth getting it back?

I am legend 9/10

I love that story.

Night 9/10 Very horrifying and moving. Also so densely packed with information it's virtually impossible to recall any names or locations, let alone any accurate timeline of events.

Man I only read that once, when I was...13 or so? I don't think I could ever get through it again. It was absolutely devastating.

I just read Rant by Chuck Palahniuk a few weeks ago. 6/10. Loved how it started but it took a turn partway through. Definitely one of his weaker books.

I'm going back through Ultimate Spider-Man now, which is my favourite comic book series ever. And I'm also re-reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, which is a fantastically underrated book.

Batman: Year One 8/10 Pretty good, although it felt a bit rushed.

I'm about halfway through Red Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson. Pretty damn good so far.

@ Yorick. Yeah, it's pretty impressive in terms of sheer morbidly depressing content. I kept expecting it to have some underlying message about the human spirit or hope, but nope. It's pretty much just a testament to the incredibly terrible things humanity is capable of. Sort of refreshingly uncompromising in that regard.

Speaker for the Dead: 9/10

Kinda slow to start, but man does it ever get good in the last third. A different style from Enders Game, but one I am more than happy about.

Well, take a guess at who introduced me to Orson Scott Card :)

@ Yorick. Yeah, it's pretty impressive in terms of sheer morbidly depressing content. I kept expecting it to have some underlying message about the human spirit or hope, but nope. It's pretty much just a testament to the incredibly terrible things humanity is capable of. Sort of refreshingly uncompromising in that regard.

Yeah, it's such a sharp contrast to other books of that period simply because of the severe lack of hope. I should really try to read it again one of these days.

Haunted- 9.3/10

Some of the short stories made me cringe.

Princess Bride - 9/10

Finally got around to reading it. Another over-the-top semi-metafictional adventure, just the way I like 'em.

Animal Farm - 10/10

I love it every single time I read this book. Favorite charector: Boxer. "I will work harder!"

Batman: Year One 8/10 Pretty good, although it felt a bit rushed.

I'd agree with that, as I recently read it again -- it definitely needed to be more comprehensive, but I appreciate how it's as much Gordon's story as it is Wayne's. It should have invested more in Dent, too, because that triumvirate we later see explored in 'The Long Halloween' is so very effective and endearing.

Yeah, I was kind of annoyed that Dent is showed in one page, and is just completely gone except for a few later mentions. I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable following Gordon's story was, liked it just about as much as Wayne's.

I'm now going back to To The Last Man, again. I've been reading it very slowly for the past six months, periodically putting it down to completely read something else. Not sure what the problem, I love the topic and it's quite well written, it just goes... very slow. Only about 100 pages left, I'm determined to finish it before I pick up anything else.

I'm now going back to To The Last Man, again. I've been reading it very slowly for the past six months, periodically putting it down to completely read something else. Not sure what the problem, I love the topic and it's quite well written, it just goes... very slow. Only about 100 pages left, I'm determined to finish it before I pick up anything else.

Y The Last Man? Countless people have asked if I got Yorick from that. Is it worth reading?

Grant Morrison - The Filth

Fantastic inoculation for living under modern authority. The way it combines mundane depictions of modern British life with some of the more surreal and ridiculous things I've seen in comic books is masterful (one character's response, when a musclebound superman jumps out of the window and pounds towards his car after being shot several times, is to shout "Oh for crying out loud!" Said superman proceeds to punch through the window, yelling "AND ANOTHER THING, YOU"). I would heartily recommend it to everyone, although be prepared for mind****.

Y The Last Man? Countless people have asked if I got Yorick from that. Is it worth reading?

We must be talking about two different books (see Samon's post). Mine is a book of accurate personal accounts of World War 1 from the perspective of marines, pilots, and generals.

Haha, that threw me. I think everyone assumed you were talking about the comic book Y: The Last Man. Perhaps Samon knew. Perhaps his comment about the writer was a clever joke. But I don't know who the writer was of either and I can't be arsed to look it up.

Not sure why, hard to believe I confused more than one person into seeing Y: rather than To. Any way, I've got book money to burn, and I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for my second batman book? I was thinking Killing Joke or Long Halloween...

Not sure why, hard to believe I confused more than one person into seeing Y: rather than To. Any way, I've got book money to burn, and I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for my second batman book? I was thinking Killing Joke or Long Halloween...

Well, I'm retarded and Samon follows my lead.

Both are fantastic. Killing Joke is one of my favourite Batman comics ever.

Any way, I've got book money to burn, and I'm wondering what you guys would recommend for my second batman book? I was thinking Killing Joke or Long Halloween...

The Killing Joke is quite excellent, and one of The Joker's finest outings. I recommend the recent edition, as opposed to the first colouring -- Brian Bolland returns to the strip to recolour it, as per his original vision.

The Long Halloween left me with a divided opinion. On one hand, I enjoyed it, and appreciated the central focus on the war between the Mob and 'The Freaks', and the continued efforts of Wayne, Gordon, and Dent, and the gradual deterioration of that relationship. I think it's definitely the most comprehensive comic detailing the downfall of Dent. But on the other hand, it was rife with Loeb's lack of refinement and focus, feeling loose and often arbitrary. It claims to be a continuation of Year One (a good reason to continue with this one), but it's so sporadic in its development of Batman's Rogue Gallery -- Poison Ivy, The Joker, Mad Hatter, Grundy, all make appearances here, but they're kind of sprinkled in, and they fail to mesh with the setting of Year One. It is much more comic-book. But, as I said, y'know, the power struggle between the Mob and The Freaks is definitely compelling.

I would also definitely recommend the Batman: No Man's Land series, which is all kinds of awesome. It's kicked off with Cataclysm, which although weak is a necessary set-up to the series, so start with that. NML details the aftermath of an earthquake which tears Gotham apart, exploring the repercussions of that as the villains secure territory and usher in a post-quake culture that displaces Wayne's mission. Volume Five contains my favourite Joker storyline.

13zznlu.jpg

Digital Fortress - 8.8/10

Couldn't get enough. Dan Brown is genius, without wax.

Hjalmar Söderberg - Doktor Glas (1906)

10/10 - Highly engaging story and a very relevant moral discussion. One of the classic pieces of Swedish literature.

So I totally got sidetracked again. I was reading To The Last Man when suddenly Magic Street caught my eye, and 100 pages in I picked up Neverwhere.

Neverwhere 9/10

I want to have Neil Gaiman's babies.

Magic Street 5.5/10 I am disappoint. Ugh, this may sound bad, but Orson Scott Card should not write dialogue for black people. Or maybe even just normal people. He should stick to only writing genuis characters. I really liked the idea here too. If the characters and dialogue hadn't been so headshakingly painful to read I would've enjoyed the hell out of it, I'm sure. The premise is a bit cliche, but it goes in an original direction and I really like how it turned out, except for
the ridiculously happy ending where they go back and undo every non-happy loose end in the story. 'What something bad happened because the protaganist had a tragic flaw that made him more interesting!? That must be fixed!'
It had its moments, but I wouldn't recommend it.

The Catcher in the Rye 8.5/10 It's wierd. The more I think about this book, the more I like it, but the more I try to reread it, the less I like it. I guess it's just all on the first read for this one. I really liked it, though, and I feel an enormous connection to Holden, although that was clearly the intended design of the character. It's funny and sad and enormously and beautifully honest to how the world works.

I'm now reading The Sun Also Rises, by Hemmingway, which I'm liking quite a lot at the moment.

I didn't like Catcher in the Rye at first, probably because i was forced to read it in English and the sexual jokes about the title began to get old, when my exam approached i started reading it again of my own accord and began to like it. Holden suddenly became relatable as i actually started paying attention to the book. Then i had to give it in and i didnt have chance to finish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back