3)The carousel
It's magnificently well done.

Make sure you make note of the details in the ending. Specifically:

1)The catcher in the rye description, obviously
2)The '**** you' graffitis
3)The carousel
It's magnificently well done.

You forgot about the red hunting hat.
Also what was meaning behind the '**** you' graffitis? I didn't quiet understand that.

Near the end Holden comes across three seperate graffitis of '**** you' and his reaction to each indicates his progression to coming to terms with the fact that he can't change the nature of the world.

Ive already done my exam, the question was on his relationships with females

We can remember it for you wholesale 7/10
Mimic 7/10
Got a book that has a bunch of sci-fi stories that some films are based on. Good so far

There was a number of questions, i chose that one because i thought i could write the most about it.
I wish i could read it again. In the exam i basically had to skim through it.

Ill see if i can get it in a library somewhere. By the way im thinking of getting either Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep or A Scanner Darkly, has anybody read any of these or other Phillip K Dick work and would you recommend it.

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? is an excellent book, highly recommended. But don't expect Blade Runner, it's quite different. I also love his collection of short stories "Paycheck", Minority Report and The Man in the High Castle.

Cheers, ill think about getting it. I knew it would be completely different to the film but diffferent isnt always bad.

Do Androids Dream is far superior and very different from Blade Runner. I haven't seen A Scanner Darkly but that book is fantastic, probably my favourite of the two. Both are definitely worth reading, though.

Also I read Catcher in the Rye every single time I take a plane / train trip. It's such a marvelous book.

Thanks alot, its my birthday soon so maybe ill get both. Your opinions as ever appreciated

Thanks alot, its my birthday soon so maybe ill get both. Your opinions as ever appreciated

Reading through your previous posts in the thread, (Twilight 6/10, Watchmen 10/10, I Am Legend 9/10), I find that I'm liking you. If you let me know a few of your favourite books, I'll throw some recommendations your way, if you'd like. :)

Northern Lights
10/10

Excellent fiction/fantasy for children, teens, whatever. Great ideas well executed, engaging characters in an original universe.
Take note J.K., this is how you should write. Except you can't, hack.

I Robot 9/10

Dont know why it took me so long to read this, i enjoyed it immensely and it isnt that long.

Thanks Yorick,erm pretty much any decent sci-fi. im a big fan of Asimov have a few books of his. Any decent Graphic Novels, quite like Dean Koontz and Stephen King. TBH im pretty much overloaded with books to read yet there are still so many i want. I have about 20 Terry Pratchett books to read and dozens of King and Asimov books. I dont really have a favourite genre in particular i just like anything thats a good read. Which unfortunately seems quite a rare thing these days. I like games and film as much as the next person but the decline in the amount of people who read books, decent or otherwise is atrocious.

I dont really have a favourite genre in particular i just like anything thats a good read. Which unfortunately seems quite a rare thing these days. I like games and film as much as the next person but the decline in the amount of people who read books, decent or otherwise is atrocious.

Ehh, you just need to know where to look. The real problem is, as you said, there are so few people who are reading books, that you often don't hear, "Hey I just read the most amazing book". I've got a few good friends that I exchange books with every few times a year. It's a good system. It keeps me from having to listen to people rave about how "awesome" Twilight is.

If you like SciFi you're definitely on the right track with PKD and Asimov. I'd also recommend William Gibson, one of the basic creators of Cyberpunk. I'm not a huge fan of his writing, but most everyone else is, so it's at least worth a flip through. Marc Laidlaw also has some SciFi books that I enjoyed.

Alright thanks alot. Im basically the only one in my social group who reads actual books. I have a friend who reads fan fiction, and dont get me wrong i dont mind a decent one but it would be nice to talk about an actual book for once.

By the way if i was the give Twilight a score now it would be like 3 or 4. I hadnt read anything in a while and i was in a good mood. Its ****in awful

Columbine by Dave Cullen - 9/10

Fantastic work. I've always harbored a morbid fascination with school shootings and especially Columbine, and while I didn't learn too much that was new from this book it clarified some things and filled in a lot of small gaps, particularly where personality of the victims and people associated with the event and its investigation were concerned. Disturbing, as to be expected, but clears up dozens of myths and outright inaccuracies that were widely reported in the media in the years following the shooting (such as the myth of Cassie Bernall's martyrdom). If this interests you I definitely recommend it as a supplement to the released documents (police interview transcripts, the killers' journals and school papers etc) which are all available online.

Johnny Mnemonic 6/10

Well i felt completely confused the whole way through. I don't think Gibson is for me.

Try reading Gibson with a slower pace than you usually would, it's easy to miss details that make things very confusing. I'm about a quarter of the way into his latest book Spook Country right now and I'm loving it so far.

Read Neuromancer. His short stories don't have shit on his novels, although Johnny Mnemonic is almost a novella.

The Sun Also Rises 8.5/10 The messages didn't really ring very true to me, but the story is quite enjoyable through out. The writing is so marvelously charming it's definitely worth a read.

I'm currently reading Orson Scott Card's short stories via Maps in a Mirror. A lot of it is pretty meh, but there are one or two really good gems in each section. His commentary is great as always.

Try reading Gibson with a slower pace than you usually would, it's easy to miss details that make things very confusing. I'm about a quarter of the way into his latest book Spook Country right now and I'm loving it so far.
I got Spook Country last week, must find some time to read it. I'm huge Gibson fan (I love books and admire the man himself), Pattern Recognition was excellent, now my expectations are high.

Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman.
9/10, first full book he's put out where I was actually completely satisfied by the ending. It's oddly written... it's written like a children's book but a lot of what actually happens is kind of dark. I can't decide whether it's because it's treating the reader like a kid who can think at an adult level or something along those lines... nonetheless, I enjoyed it.

Dune
Fantastic. What's the next one? Dune Messiah?

Nation is next on my list.

Gaunt's Ghosts: Necropolis.

Ten out of mother f*cking ten. I love any Imperial stuff by Abnett, he writes combat so beautifully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back