Rate the last movie you watched (DON'T POST SPOILERS Y' EEJITS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am being serious.

Oz=Ounce=unit used to weigh gold
Yeah....but as far as connections go thats a pretty ridiculous leap of logic. Ounces are cam and are used to measure the weight of almost everything.

Inherit the wind (1960) 10/10
Its a fictionalized retelling of the Scopes "Monkey" trial, so I would recommend it to the hordes of atheists we have on this board. Amazing film.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - I really wanted to love it, but only ended up liking it/10

It must be said: Goddamn you, George Lucas.

I don't know what movie the people posting earlier, saw, but it was not the same film I saw. Perhaps I'm a bit jaded. Maybe the hype and hope got to me too much. Whatever it may be, this is the worst of the Indiana Jones films. It is not a horrible movie; in fact, it's pretty good with lots of fun and action. Before going any further, I will say that I definitely reccommend seeing the movie in theaters, as it was meant to be seen. It is an experience, just not quite the experience I was hoping for.

The very first shot irks me and sets up the main problem I have with the movie, which is some very poor CG amidst very good CG and practical effects. I still don't understand why many of these things couldn't have been done practically and then given a slight sheen of CG if necessary. There are several very important sequences ruined because of the use of CG that either should have been worked on more or scrapped for more traditional effects work.

The script was adequate at best. There are certainly some good lines and some great exchanges, but it felt more like it was trying to be an Indiana Jones film rather than actually being one. Marion and Indy's exchanges were fairly worth it, though.

The acting was spotty. Harrison Ford did a good job gettin back into the character, albeit a bit changed by time. Shia was actually very good for a lot of the film, minus one part that just felt completely out of character and awkward. Ray Winstone was given barely anything to work with, so it's hard to fault him. John Hurt's performance was unfortunate and annoying. They tried to play it for drama and laughs and neither worked for me. Karen Allen was just fine as Marion, keeping a bit of the spunk she used to have. Cate Blanchett was good up until the end, though that's no fault of hers considering how the ending was done.

The story felt rushed, but halting. There was barely any rhyme or reason for anything and a lot of the actions of various characters were extremely suspect, including Indiana himself. He helped out very willingly with a lot of things I don't feel he would have. Maybe I read his actions wrong, but it still came off as weird and out of place. Like the other Indiana Jones movie, the central story is rather fantastical and you'll either go along with it or you'll be groaning at it. Especially at the end. The end was pretty much what I expected as I saw things going along, but it still didn't make it that good and it's very obvious they could have done a lot more with the material they had. It felt lazy. A lot of the film felt like that.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is a good movie I feel could have been great if more time, effort, and thought had been put into it. There are some absolutely awesome sequences, which I won't ruin, showing that there were some good ideas that just needed to be developed more. I think with some editing tis film could be a lot better. It almost feels like George Lucas was sitting around on set crying to get his way on certain things and then sitting there in the editing room bawling if Steven Spielberg even thought about cutting his ideas. It's not The Phantom Menace of the Indiana Jones series, but it still leaves some of that same sour taste in your mouth, ruining the sweet goodness of the rest.

I haven't seen it yet and I'm hoping to go tomorrow. I will say that I'm not sure it's entirely fair to blame Lucas for all of the films failings. Spielberg was directing, Koepp was writing – I'm not so sure everything is going to be the fault of George Lucas.

I haven't seen it yet and I'm hoping to go tomorrow. I will say that I'm not sure it's entirely fair to blame Lucas for all of the films failings. Spielberg was directing, Koepp was writing ? I'm not so sure everything is going to be the fault of George Lucas.
Ok, I'll blame Koepp, too. Still, some of the major things that felt wrong felt similar to Lucas' recent missteps. Also, I'm just hoping it wasn't more Spielberg's fault. I still like the guy and I'd rather not have too many reasons to frown on him.

Well spielberg did make war of the worlds and personally i have thought some of his other works were very overrated like jaws

Well I liked war of the worlds. And im seeing Indy tommorow, high expectations, Spielberg has yet to let me down.

I'm seeing Indy in a few hours. So far I've resisted learning anything about the movie or reading any but the vaguest of impressions, aside from watching the trailers and stuff. Will report back.

A plant you say? I riposte, sir, thusly:

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Worththewait/10

This film blew me away, as always with Indiana Jones films. STory was a bit...'thats far too over the top', dont know what Lucas was thinking but regardless, its still Indy.

The second that music starts to the second the film finishes, youll be sat grinning like a prat.

Dont miss this guys, easily as good as Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Will you yield the argument gracefully Master [Matt], or shall I be forced to chasten you a second time?
monocleemoticonmb2.gif

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 9/10...

****ing awesome, it was as great as the original Raiders... but not as awesome as the Last Crusade.
I'm going to see it again on my birthday after a night out with the guys.

Yeah....but as far as connections go thats a pretty ridiculous leap of logic. Ounces are cam and are used to measure the weight of almost everything.
If I have take photos of every study sheet on the Wizard of Oz I have, I'd be happy to, sadly though, I won't be able to get those until 5-27-08 as I left my notebook in the school locker and have a great 4 day break.

Don't worry skeptics, I WILL bring you proof.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 9/10 - Pretty awesome. I haven't enjoyed a movie this much in a long time. Some parts were indeed a bit "over-the-top" and some were too sci-fi for Indy I felt, but overall a very enjoyable experience reminiscent of the original trilogy.

Well spielberg did make war of the worlds and personally i have thought some of his other works were very overrated like jaws
Yeah, I think it's overrated too. Pretentious modern use of black and white film, unconvincing German accents, people with comedy noses being put to death...

oh... Jaws? Uhh yeah. That too.

*runs*

omg I want to see Indiana Jones so bad... I watched all the old ones yesterday...

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 8.5/10

Just below Raiders and the Last Crusade (both 9.5/10 in my book) but above Temple of Doom (7/10). Very entertaining, very good, very Indiana Jones. Also, this movie has completely changed my opinion of Shia LeWhatsit. As in I used to think he was a douche, and now I like him... somewhat. There were a few hiccups (and the plot itself, especially the later portion, is a bit ridiculous even next to the Holy Grail or the Ark of the Covenant) but this is classic shit.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - 8.5/10.

Closest I will get probably to Fate of Atlantis on the silver screen. Lots of great action and lines. Hated Shia (as usual). Loved everyone else, though Marion did not seem as fun as in Raiders--maybe she grew up? Not as good as Raiders or Last Crusade, but better than Temple of Doom imho. I am excited for the next one, esp. if they cut more of Shia's screentime. :D

Watch even stevens then you'll understand :flame:

What about? He plays like a 12 year old. I really don't understand the hatred of him either. It seems people blame the stupidity of Transformers on him (I actually liked Transformers though), although Transformers was just a stupid movie anyway. He was pretty good in Disturbia.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull gets a thumbs up from me. I wanted to a 1950s Indiana Jones movie, and I got a 1950s Indiana Jones movie. Hell of a lot of fun.

I didn't mind transformers but I still hated even stevens :flame:

Legionnaire - 8/10

Never thought I would find a film with Van Damme in it that wasnt just mindless action (which I like for the record) but I actually really enjoyed this.

Indiana Jones KOTCS 6/10

Enjoyable fun don't get me wrong BUT so many problems that detracted the experience for me even if they are OTT they are so OTT even by indy standards :O spoilers ahead
Cate Blanchett being a psychic russian general who uses her psychic powers once and they don't work.

A magnetised box that is inconsistent in what is magnetised (why don't the soldier's guns get stuck to the box. Admitedly they move abit but if metal from metres away is attracted then the guns should stick to the box not just move).

The fridge scene even for Indy is OTT.

The ***** who are FBI agents (he was kidnapped jeese) (speaking of which)

Again by Indy standards he is kidnapped way too much such as the sandpit scene they escape and 5 mins later are kidnappped again

Aliens? Aliens?! Even for Indy this is way too stupid!

The skull is so much of mcguffin. Why is it able to cause the ants to run away? When anything can't be figured out the answer is always the skull or ask the crazy man.

Every character seems to know everything considering the characters always explore places that haven't been discovered before like cate blanchett talking about the alien hive mind and how they are one being split apart. How the **** would you know?

Lastly because I'm getting bored of ranting i find it kinda disappointing when some of the best parts are references to the other films but why did they feel the need to kill off marcus and his dad?

Indiana Jones KOTCS - 7/10
Very enjoyable, but also different from previous Indiana movies which is neatio.

Watch even stevens then you'll understand :flame:
Oh yeah, he was such an annoying 14 year old in that show. Wait, that's what he was supposed to be. Not to mention that was something like 8 years ago. And you think it's an accurate representation of all the roles he's played recently and the quality with which we did those roles?
Also, in reference to the last point in your spoiler tags... they would have been something like 80 years old. Even if they were still alive somehow, what difference would it have made?

No I like Shia in his new roles I just have some hatred still over that show :flame:

Also spoilers

if sean connery can be alive today then they don't need to kill them admittedly marcus did die inr eall life but they could just say he was on a trip or something

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Blah Blah - 8/10 - I think I lost all hope for logical reasoning once Indy had used the fridge and then proceeded to roll out of it near unscathed. Very over the top, very fun. A lot of clunky lines though, and far too much exposition.

Twister - 8/10...

Damn fun, some of the dialogue is really dumb though.

Black Snake Moan - Christina Ricci's Tits/10

Meh, weird ****ing movie.

Ricci is pretty hot though. She was hot even with a pignose in Penelope.

It's just weird, I had just watched Casper like... a week ago.

And all of a sudden I see her as a town pump in this movie. D:

* Spoilers*

Indy 4 - 6/10. I absolutely love Indy. But this was an abomination, especially the ending. Why the **** was the ending a direct rip off a ****ing Stars Wars movie, I expected Chewie to be in there at one point. There was only 2 scenes that felt like Indiana Jones and thats when Indy was on the bike and jumps into the car and where he jumps from a jeep to the other jeep fighting the Russians. Apart from that, the movie was a medicore. The sets felt like Mummy Returns then Indy. The John Williams Score was nothing memorable (apart from the odd tracks that were brought back).

I still don't understand why there was monkeys and gophers. And what happened to the there won't be that much CG? There was probably more CG then the last 3 films put together. It didn't feel like a Spielberg film. 20 years waiting for the right script and this is what they got to show? I really would love to see what Frank Darbont had written. And why go into the realm of science fiction? When Raiders of the Lost Ark was in pre-production they were going to give Toht a robotic arm , Lucas disagreed saying its not "Indy". This one had a ****ing spaceship and E.T.

[/end bitching]I felt disappointed overall. I wasn't expecting a landmark in film making (although Raiders is), but it could have been better than Temple of Doom (yeah, I preferred ToD over KotCS).

Heres toht with a robotic arm - http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/gallery/makingof/mo_12.jpg

Tape - 8.7/10. The whole movie is based in a hotel room. Watched it for the second time, and it just shows that a good script/actors that you can make a really compelling movie.

The move into the science fiction area is actually probably why this movie got made. The concept behind the film seems to have been to make a movie with Indiana Jones in the 1950s era, and not just keeping him in the same old 1930s style adventures. The whole movie exudes the mythology of the 1950s, with it's atomic weapons, the Red scare, aliens, time travel, family, etc. Whereas the old movies, being set in the 1930s, dealt with the mythology of that period of time, with the Nazis, biblical adventure, cultists, and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back