Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

Also, "Heroes of Stalingrad" could just mean people who were heroes in Stalingrad are fighting, not that it's taking place in Stalingrad.

Yeah, just like Medieval Total War is set in classical times, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident takes place near Saturn and Battlefield Vietnam is situated in Korea.

Oooh! Gore and dismemberment! That's an added plus.

I just hope that they balanced out the vehicle combat. I prefer infantry combat tbh.

You are aware RO:Ostfront had gore and dismemberment too?

lol, :Ostfront

Anyways, if the gore looks like that for realsies, then they implemented it really well. I'm quite sure I'll be getting this game when it releases. Looks pretty good, even if they only come through on some of the promises.

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad hands-on

Little moments of panic are the why we enjoy being scared by movies or amusement park rides. For too long I feel that multiplayer shooter designers have only been trying to give players joy. Now is the time to stop feeding FPS players only cotton candy, and give them some steak and potatoes along with the sweet stuff.

Do want.

I'm personally looking forward to some tank fights. I just hope I know enough people who have the game to actually man a tank, without having to rely on idiots.

I will tank-crew with you Krynn *salute* although infantry combat was always the bread and butter of RO for me.

I honestly am really excited about this game. Red Orchestra is an excellent game (I played quite a bit of both the mod and retail versions) and I look forward to getting back into it. I also find there is a shortage of good MP ww2 shooters now, which is a genre that I never really tire of when done correctly.

The upgrade to Unreal Engine 3 will be excellent as well :D

Infantry combat is the bread and butter of RO, but the tank system in the game is really intriguing to me. Not even ARMA2 did it this good. I was never really interested in vehicle warfare until recently, as I learned more about WWII. The Tiger Aces were some incredible people, and their mastery of their tanks impressed the hell out of me. Walt Wittmann, in particular got me interested. If I can be a non-nazi video game version of him, I'll be ecstatic.

EDIT: Not Walt Wittman, wtf. His name is Michael Wittmann. Don't know where the Walt came from.

Whoa Krynn, you got something against nazis?

Nah, not all of them, only the ones who are Nazis.

but the tank system in the game is really intriguing to me. Not even ARMA2 did it this good.

Okay yeah there's some cool things added and things look better overall but you shouldn't compare this game to arma 2 plz!

Walt Whitman is a super-famous poet (Leaves of Grass, etc) so his name was probably already sort of in your head.

I don't remember much about the tank mechanics in RO, other than that they were more realistic than usual and it was irritating because I had to crew with random internet morons.

tbh, large vehicles maps ruined retail RO for me. I found it tedious and boring and often damning and limiting to those preferring infantry combat. The maps were just unforgiving for us grunts. Here's to hoping the map design allows for proper flanking for my fellow potato throwing comrades.

I am kinda worried about the whole officer things, i.e. people reaching certain levels will get to unlock unique skins alongside unique weapons and stuff.

Not sure I am a huge fan of this, especially since I fear they will be giving incorrect weapons for incorrect dates and stuff as exclusives.

Are you saying that you are worried about, for example, the StG 44 being an unlock?

I am kinda worried about the whole officer things, i.e. people reaching certain levels will get to unlock unique skins alongside unique weapons and stuff.

Not sure I am a huge fan of this, especially since I fear they will be giving incorrect weapons for incorrect dates and stuff as exclusives.

They won't. I've trolled the Tripwire forums for quite a while. If it's not plausible for it to be in the game, it won't be. Which is how it should be, IMHO.

Are you saying that you are worried about, for example, the StG 44 being an unlock?

Yes, and the unlockable General uniforms etc.

Though they haven't supplied specifics as far as I know as to how the uniform unlocks will work, but it would certainly be silly if you eventuallyo see a bunch of people running around on the battlefield dressed as high-ranking Generals.

How rambo.

I'll see your Rambo and raise you a Rommel.

SFFUI.jpg

Cutaways of the Panzer IV G. Click the picture for full size.

Read a preview for this game. I havent played WWII shooters for a long time, but this actually looks pretty interesting. Hope there is some sort of demo or beta.

I played this when it was a mod way back in they hey...day so by default i am more awesome and hardcore than all in this thread.

The problem back then, especially in a piddly populated country like Australia, was a lack of players! I could never get enough people in a map for any kid of enjoyment. When it went retail it improved a bit.

The extreme hardcoreness of this games turns off a lot of retard counterstrike and modern warfare instant satisfaction casual gamer types. It requires skill ,patience and some brain age.

I also love the **** casual gamers attitude of the development team. If the development team were a bunch of german soldiers standing in front of innocent children they would k98 them to the hot place.

So yes, if this game can get a vibrant strong community it will be immensely addictive, immersive and all round awesome.

Yeah being an Australian's gotta suck for "niche"-titles like this, I feel for you.:|

That is why we must drill Australia loose and tug it to the US.

What? **** that, take it back to your place sweden. We've got enough debts as it is.

What? **** that, take it back to your place sweden. We've got enough debts as it is.

We'd have to get permission from far more nations to transport it past them than you would!

It'd be an administrative nightmare, silly!

I played this when it was a mod way back in they hey...day so by default i am more awesome and hardcore than all in this thread.

The problem back then, especially in a piddly populated country like Australia, was a lack of players! I could never get enough people in a map for any kid of enjoyment. When it went retail it improved a bit.

The extreme hardcoreness of this games turns off a lot of retard counterstrike and modern warfare instant satisfaction casual gamer types. It requires skill ,patience and some brain age.

I also love the **** casual gamers attitude of the development team. If the development team were a bunch of german soldiers standing in front of innocent children they would k98 them to the hot place.

So yes, if this game can get a vibrant strong community it will be immensely addictive, immersive and all round awesome.

This post is perfect, and true. +1 so hard. I'm gonna have to remember the phrase "k98 them to the hot place" :D

Man, now I need to write a post that gets a +1 from Ennui too!

I've only seen one of the films, the one where some guy is looking for his sister or whatever, and then they kill a bunch of people and everyone lives happily ever after.

Theres only one film in the series, and the guy is with his sister the whole time, You get a -1 for that post.

Theres only one film in the series, and the guy is with his sister the whole time, You get a -1 for that post.

I recall the film starting with him breaking her out of some facility, so your statement isn't fully valid!

I think I only deserve a -0.5

Hard to be looking for someone you've already found. So you're right, you deserve an additional 0.5 point penalty, bringing your total to -1.5.

Cut me some slack, Jack!

I curse your good grasp of logic.

I guess there's nothing more for me to do now than launch myself into the sun with an device inside my stomach that triggers a supernova thus eradicating us all.

Cut me some slack, Jack!

I curse your good grasp of logic.

I guess there's nothing more for me to do now than launch myself into the sun with an device inside my stomach that triggers a supernova thus eradicating us all.
OR, launch yourself into the sun riding cowboy on the back of a supermassive fission bomb with a mass equivalent to manhattan to catalyze the birth of a new star, thus saving mankind

Back