Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad

OR, launch yourself into the sun riding cowboy on the back of a supermassive fission bomb with a mass equivalent to manhattan to catalyze the birth of a new star, thus saving mankind

Prove to me that mankind's worth saving and I'll do it!

GUYS this isn't period appropriate to the thread you are RUINING MY IMMERSION

Did I just correct your grammar correction or what?

Probably, I am in reality in no position to correct peoples grammar.

My writing is mainly "instinctual" rather than "rule"-based, I don't really remember rules, heck I have a hard time remembering linguistic terminology and such.

So I just go with what feels right to me and I am sure it means I am wrong a lot, especially in English which isn't my native language.

:(

Aww. Well, just like tav, I find it pretty surprising, because your english is practically flawless. I know very few native speakers who don't have punctuation problems. A sentence should only have one whole thought (a subject and verb), so "This isn't period appropriate" and "You are ruining my immersion" can't really be joined into one sentence.

This isn't period appropriate. You are ruining my immersion. So shut the **** up about grammar already. You keep making me think theres actual, game related news being posted.

Actual, game related news being posted. Some info on how the tanks work. In short: very realistically.

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=719119#post719119

And which data on plate hardness do you take? The German steel specifications are one thing - but, according to British tests, they didn't always achieve them. But (again), the British tests were done using the Poldi test for hardness, which isn't perfectly reliable.

And yes - this does mean that plate hardness is in the calcs. Along with the round hardness and quality. The quality of the armor plate, as well as the obvious stuff like thickness and angle. Comparison with the test plate used to achieve the penetration data. The ogive shape makes a notable difference too (go look up "ogive" ). Face-hardening of plate, thinner high-hardness armor, overmatch, round shatter criteria, spalling. And the end result is probablistic - well, for those tricky "maybe" results. Running the test cases, the German 75 mm L/43 vs. the T-34 front glacis is an interesting one - NOT a good shot for the Germans to take as the Pz.Gr.39 doesn't handle heavily sloped armor well. Shoot for the turret front instead! All in all, many miles ahead of anything we achieved with RO1.

Back on RO2, we were starting to stress-test the vehicle AI in the Friday play-test. That should be quite a world removed frmo the old days, as that all gets finished up. In one of those bizarre moments (that WON'T happen in the final version), I got shot out of the gunner position and the camera somehow got stuck, presumably where my head finished up - on the floor of the turret basket. So I got to see the AI hull gunner crawling through to take up the gunner position, which was kinda wierd. Scary too - the AI are now trained to prioritize crewed positions in each vehicle.

I must say I'm impressed.

I'd like to see a sort of 'ace mod' community development that gets rid of all the casual aspects of the game. There's a lot of potential with this engine, clearly. Hope the mod support is good.

Still waiting some more gameplay videos of this.

I can't wait to see more of the maps in the latest unreal engine.

I must say I'm impressed.

I'd like to see a sort of 'ace mod' community development that gets rid of all the casual aspects of the game. There's a lot of potential with this engine, clearly. Hope the mod support is good.

http://www.gamersguidetolife.com/2011/02/exclusive-interview-red-orchestra-2.html
Will the game be moddable? Will it ship with Steamworks?

Yes, the game will ship with a full SDK, as we always do. The community always ends up creating some amazing content and we love that. We’ll probably end up sponsoring mapping contests and so on again. And yes, we’ll be using a lot of the Steamworks features.

I may even jump in on the modding scene for this game to do just that, if no one else does it right.

Thanks for the updates Krynn. This and Battlefield 3 are looking to be the next multiplayer shooters that I sink my teeth into. Cant wait to hear more about this one.

This game just keeps looking better and better.

The AI looks like it still has a lot of problems though, at least the infantry AI.

Also, not sure how big a fan I am of this whole levelling system for weapons etc.

Noo, not leveling systems! Red Orchestra was my escape from that bullshit.

Don't worry morgs I am fairly certain the old established clans will have servers running that are RO1-style, i.e. no levelling BS enabled.

This game is shaping up to be fantastic. Still no release date though.

Really looking forward to this, the first game had a huge range of server styles, from traditional public mayhem, to extremely long and coordinated tank battles.

I read last month in an interview that they gave the SDK to some of the larger mod teams early, so that they would be available shortly after launch. PC is getting some great stuff this year.

I think it's SUPER important that we support this kind of developer as much as possible. They are doing everything right - dedicated servers, mod support, awesome gameplay, etc. I am going to buy the shit out of this game and then buy it for a friend too (even if it shows up for free on my Steam account).

I really hope im not broke when this comes out.

I've been longing for a more realistic online shooter that isn't some disappointing COD-like garbage. I was quite fond of the original mod and unfortunately never followed up on subsequent releases. But this will certainly be getting a purchase from me.

I haven't had a good scratch for my WW2 itch in a while either.

Honestly, I think I might just buy this on principle, even if I don't end up loving it (which I suspect I will). The amount of effort they're putting into everything is incredible for a PC-only title, and it's not even full priced? Daaang.

The strangest thing about watching the game in action is the sensation I get from it - it's eerily similar to the first Call of Duty, to me. The mechanics are pretty far removed from CoD's arcade aesthetic, but besides the obvious thematic similarities it really does give me the same feeling as when I played it all those years back. It seems like a natural evolution, I guess. Been waiting for another shooter to recapture that frantic, seat-of-your-pants, always-on-the-verge-of-death kind of gameplay. You know, without the killstreaks and bollocks.

Honestly, I think I might just buy this on principle, even if I don't end up loving it (which I suspect I will). The amount of effort they're putting into everything is incredible for a PC-only title, and it's not even full priced? Daaang.
Second.jpg. I haven't been paying any attention at all to this game, but that Gametrailers video sold me on it.

I made a reddit page for RO if you want to keep up to date on any news from tripwire and the community; http://www.reddit.com/r/redorchestra/

This game will save FPS gaming for me. I look forward to BF3 but the lack of mod tools really kills me inside. For me battlefield 1942 was galactic conquest, BFpirates and Forgotten hope. BF2 was again forgotten hope and Project reality. A friend bought me BC2 and I think I played it for a total of 10 hours before uninstalling. The sounds and destruction are great but it feels like they took out the squad and (non-artillery) commander mechanics for no good reason.

Box art and system specs out.

Specs:

Minimum:
Processor: Dual Core 2.3 GHz or better
RAM: 2 GB
Graphics card: 256 MB SM 3.0 DX9 Compliant NVIDIA® GeForce 7800 GTX or better ATI® Radeon® HD 2900 GT or better
Sound: Windows Supported Sound Card
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c
Hard Drive: 8 GB free hard drive space
Recommended:
Processor: Quad Core 2.6 GHz or better
RAM: 3 GB
Graphics card: 512 MB SM 3.0 DX9 Compliant NVIDIA® GeForce GTX 260 or better ATI® Radeon® HD 5750 or better
Sound: Sound Blaster Audigy or better
DirectX: DirectX 9.0c
Hard Drive: 8 GB free hard drive space

Aaaaand box art:

Dzigk.jpg

Looks like I'm skidding in just above recommended for everything but my CPU, which sorely needs replacing. Box art looks pretty decent, love that semi-ironic quote at the top though. :v

I wouldn't worry about the specs if i were you. It's still the Unreal Engine 3. As much as the game sucked, the engine's pretty well optimized.

I wonder why Steam isn't offering pre-orders yet. The game is in their system, but it can't be bought. I'd pre-order this the second it does live.

Reasonable system specs!?!?! It's almost as if they want people with average computers to be able to play!

Given that it's running on the UE3 I'm not that surprised!

I wonder why Steam isn't offering pre-orders yet. The game is in their system, but it can't be bought. I'd pre-order this the second it does live.

I heard they'll be allowing them soon. Not sure if the source is reputable, but it's like a month until it comes out so it hardly seems unreasonable...

I heard they'll be allowing them soon. Not sure if the source is reputable, but it's like a month until it comes out so it hardly seems unreasonable...

I thought it was strange because all games that come out between now and October first can be bought except for RO2.

Well at least I won't have to buy my Arma 3 PC to play this. Game on!

Back