Religion (In General)

What is Religion to you?

• Set of moral values that one should live by.

Votes: 33 52.4%
  • Answer and Explanation to how everything exists and functions.

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Null Vote.

Votes: 25 39.7%

• Total voters
DreamThrall said:
After all, the bible WAS written by man, and only after how many years of being passed on by word of mouth?

2 Timothy 3:16 said:
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness.

You obviously don't believe in the inerrancy (sp?) of the bible.

Well, I'm glad everyone completley ignored the topic of the post and has gone off topic.

Which, coincidently, has brought this forum into the light of the Admins. So expect alot more warnings and bans for off topic posts, flaming, etc.

With that said, I will warn anyone who's post is off topic in regards to the original thread.

Why are all of you off topic?
Where did I mention the Bible? I said religion specifically because I did not want this to be a discussion focused on the Bible, but as religion as a whole.

Anyway, examples? Don't kill random people in the street. Respect another person and thier property.
Again, this ties into me talking about Religion in general. If we look at the moral codes of most of the major religions, and only keep what they all agree on, you have a pretty decent set of rules that you should follow. Like not killing people in the street.

So, with my comment said, if you want to continue on and argue about the Bible, which is non-topical re: this thread, go right ahead. Make your own thread.

SidewinderX said:
Where did I mention the Bible? I said religion specifically because I did not want this to be a discussion focused on the Bible, but as religion as a whole.
Well, certainly you must know that some people will only discuss what they know of religion. I was raised by the Bible, and Christianity is the only religion I can speak with any authority on. I can't say anything about religion as a whole, because I don't know enough about other religions.

Voodooism isn't. Nor is Bhuddism. Or the dozen other religions in the world.

I dunno, there's not that much to discuss when the entire topic is about whether you think religion is all about morales or a strict way of life. It seems most people agree that it's all about the morale values.

SidewinderX said:
Well, I'm glad everyone completley ignored the topic of the post and has gone off topic.

Which, coincidently, has brought this forum into the light of the Admins. So expect alot more warnings and bans for off topic posts, flaming, etc.

With that said, I will warn anyone who's post is off topic in regards to the original thread.

Why are all of you off topic?

Anyway, examples? Don't kill random people in the street. Respect another person and thier property.
Again, this ties into me talking about Religion in general. If we look at the moral codes of most of the major religions, and only keep what they all agree on, you have a pretty decent set of rules that you should follow. Like not killing people in the street.

So, with my comment said, if you want to continue on and argue about the Bible, which is non-topical re: this thread, go right ahead. Make your own thread.
My apologies for traveling into a religious subtopic. I was simply speaking in terms of academic study of literature and how it relates to religion. I sincerely hope I have not offended or flamed anyone. As far as what is religion to me? I would have to say both a “Set of moral values that one should live by” and “Answer and Explanation to how everything exists and functions”

I personally belive the latter, and I wish more people would belive it, as it allows science and religion to peacefully coexist, for the most part.

Er.... no offense... but didn't you mean... "the former"??? "The latter" would imply that you think that religion explains everything, when your view seems to be that it is about moral values...

Tantalus said:
I can't wait until I see you burning in hell.

:flame:

:O ...does that mean you'll be burning in hell with him? how else would you see him unless you were there? :cheese:

"God works in mysterious ways" is a cop-out, not an explanation.

How would you explain it then? I mean, how would you state the quote?

"Gods an evil basterd, he'll kill you all"

or

"Maybe your sister dying of Cancer will one day inspire you to stop playing Halo 2, and go out there, make a life for yourself, AND FIND A CURE FOR THE SHIT THAT KILLED HER"

I dunno. With or without god, I view life as a lesson to learn from and enjoy. However, life's a teacher -- she gives the test first, then the quiz afterward.

CptStern said:
:O ...does that mean you'll be burning in hell with him? how else would you see him unless you were there? :cheese:
Perhaps heaven has a channel called Hell TV? It's a 24-hour reality show.

K e r b e r o s said:
How would you explain it then? I mean, how would you state the quote?

I would say "I don't know why this happened", because when it comes down to it, I simply don't. "God works in mysterious ways" sounds like "Well, we don't know why that happened. But God does! He works in ways that we don't understand... So, no I don't know how he works. I have absolutely no clue. But you can bet your ass that God did something!".

You're still just as clueless as everybody else. The only difference is that you just had to involve God as a desparate reinforcement of your beliefs.

If my sister got cancer, then she got cancer. If she smoked like a chimney, then I'd say she got cancer from the cigarettes. I don't see how or why God should factor into this at all.

I would say "I don't know why this happened", because when it comes down to it, I simply don't. "God works in mysterious ways" sounds like "Well, we don't know why that happened. But God does! He works in ways that we don't understand... So, no I don't know how he works. I have absolutely no clue. But you can bet your ass that God did something!".

Well, that works -- but your not one for supernatural stuff right? No tree-spirits ... no, "the tree's cant feel my saw blading into their foundations" ... n-no ...? Nothing? Gasp*

You're still just as clueless as everybody else. The only difference is that you just had to involve God as a desparate reinforcement of your beliefs.

... and it's not that I feel guilty for ...not... being a hopeless and difficult basterd to get along with, its just that I'm curious: Why do you continue to slam people who believe in something like deities?

Let me change my question here -- as it should've been: Do you feel better now? ... I mean that burp of hate was just noxious ...

If my sister got cancer, then she got cancer. If she smoked like a chimney, then I'd say she got cancer from the cigarettes. I don't see how or why God should factor into this at all.

My ending statement was also that life is a lesson to be learned from and enjoyed -- and wether or not religion has anything to do with the people that die in our lives has yet to be discovered. First man to die, wins.

K e r b e r o s said:
Well, that works -- but your not one for supernatural stuff right? No tree-spirits ... no, "the tree's cant feel my saw blading into their foundations" ... n-no ...? Nothing? Gasp*

noep

... and it's not that I feel guilty for ...not... being a hopeless and difficult basterd to get along with, its just that I'm curious: Why do you continue to slam people who believe in something like deities?

Do I slam people? Do you really think so? I don't have a problem with people that believe in deities. So long as you can accept that it is just a faith, then we have nothing to argue about.

I just think that using "God works in mysterious ways" is a shortcut around any true explanation. It's a religious euphemism for "Shit happens". I personally think that if we require an explanation, then it should be sought in reasoning applicable to the universe we live in. Add the transcending "God" tag afterwards, if you really need to.

My ending statement was also that life is a lesson to be learned from and enjoyed -- and wether or not religion has anything to do with the people that die in our lives has yet to be discovered. First man to die, wins.

That's something I can agree with.

He_Who_Is_Steve said:
Perhaps heaven has a channel called Hell TV? It's a 24-hour reality show.

heaven doesnt have cable silly! too many boobies and un-god-like conduct ...why, I hear they even have homer-sexuals on cable :eek: ! and specials on evolution and <whisper> a-bortion! I wont even mention all the "science" shows on Discovery ..the only path to "discovery" is through baby jebus and his merry band of Apostles!

Black baby Jesus, nigga, black baby Jesus. Remember that well!

^@ Sterns lated post: lol, to think you used to believe in that!

What changed you ... ? :D I'm just curious -- (they would'nt have that on Heaven TV would they? Me, a curious bisexual ... I'd be burning in hell with Spongebob and ... you. :D)

CptStern said:
heaven doesnt have cable silly! too many boobies and un-god-like conduct ...why, I hear they even have homer-sexuals on cable :eek: ! and specials on evolution and <whisper> a-bortion! I wont even mention all the "science" shows on Discovery ..the only path to "discovery" is through baby jebus and his merry band of Apostles!
Why are you so against religion?

hmmm you have little humour in you ..I'm not against religion persay ..I just dont feel there's much of a need for it anymore (personally). Not to mention that it tends to get in the way of personal freedoms etc

CptStern said:
hmmm you have little humour in you
How's that, because I asked you a question?

CptStern said:
..I'm not against religion persay ..I just dont feel there's much of a need for it anymore (personally). Not to mention that it tends to get in the way of personal freedoms etc
How does it get in the way of your personal freedoms? I don’t understand, just curious.

RZAL said:
How's that, because I asked you a question?

because I was obviously joking

RZAL said:
How does it get in the way of your personal freedoms? I don’t understand, just curious.

well not my personal freedoms ..freedoms in general: same sex marriage, inter-faith marriage, abortion rights etc

CptStern said:
well not my personal freedoms ..freedoms in general: same sex marriage, inter-faith marriage, abortion rights etc
So what you REALLY meant to say was that religious government officials get in the way of your personal freedoms?

CptStern said:
because I was obviously joking
I can be a little humorous……….now and then

CptStern said:
I can see where same sex marriage and abortion rights could be a problem.
But if we are talking Christianity I would discount inter-faith marriage.

RZAL said:
I can be a little humorous……….now and then

hehe really? havent showed it yet (not being condescending)

RZAL said:
I can see where same sex marriage and abortion rights could be a problem.
But if we are talking Christianity I would discount inter-faith marriage.

well christianity is just an umbrella term for many different sects of the religion ..there are a few christian groups that dont allow inter-faith marriage others do.

It's not just that, there's a whole subset of christian ideology I just cant agree with: creationism, faith taking precedent over fact, historical role of the church etc

CptStern said:
well christianity is just an umbrella term for many different sects of the religion ..there are a few christian groups that dont allow inter-faith marriage others do.
It's not just that, there's a whole subset of christian ideology I just cant agree with: creationism, faith taking precedent over fact, historical role of the church etc
I understand what you’re saying and to an extent I agree.

you're an enigma rzal ..I still havent decided if you're:

religious
an fbi agent
work for stats canada ( ;) )
all of the above

CptStern said:
you're an enigma rzal ..I still havent decided if you're:

religious
an fbi agent
work for stats canada ( ;) )
all of the above
It could be (E) Scruffy Nurf Herder, but wait who’s scruffy looking?
“There are two kinds of simplicity—one that is akin to foolishness, the other to wisdom. The philosopher’s style of living is only outwardly simple, but inwardly complex. The savage’s style is both outwardly and inwardly simple.” Thoreau

Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to
people who call in to her radio show. Recently, she said that
homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22 and cannot
be condoned in any circumstance. The following is an open letter to
Dr.Laura penned by a US resident and also posted on the Internet:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I
have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that
knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the
homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus
18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need
some advice from you, however, regarding some of the laws and how to
follow them.

a) When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
pleasing odor for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They
claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

b) I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in
Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair
price for her?

c) Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and
female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend
of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you
clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

d) I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2
learly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill
him myself?

e) A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.
I don't agree. Can you settle this?

f) Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have
a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does
my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

g) Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair
around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by
Lev.19:27. How should they die?

h) I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me
unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

i) My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different
crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of
two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to
curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the
trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them?
(Lev.24:10-16). Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family
affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you
can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal
and unchanging. Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

RZAL said:
It could be (E) Scruffy Nurf Herder, but wait who’s scruffy looking?

hmmm a scruffy looking law enforcement officer (part-time nurf herder) ....are you Serpico? ;)

Apos said:
Er.... no offense... but didn't you mean... "the former"??? "The latter" would imply that you think that religion explains everything, when your view seems to be that it is about moral values...

Apos: Here is the rest of my post....

For those of you who are religious (in any way shape or form), do you feel that religion is an end-all be-all answer to everything, or just a guideline of how one should morally live thier life?

I personally belive the latter, and I wish more people would belive it, as it allows science and religion to peacefully coexist, for the most part.

The latter refers to the paragraph directly preceding it, not the poll option.

I believe it should be a moral guideline for life, but what it's turned into is an end-all be-all answer to everything. It's kind of sickening to see all these religious zealots running a good portion of America.

john3571000 said:

Dear Dr. Laura:

follow them.

price for her?

him myself?

How did she respond to those?

john3571000 said:

Dear Dr. Laura:

follow them.

price for her?

him myself?

At the risk of receiving a warning for traveling into a religious subtopic, I must apologize for the following:

This is a perfect example of what Stern and I were discussing in regards to interpretation of religious writings. As you can see the above argument is based on the Old Testament book of Leviticus.

Leviticus contains a vast collection of legal and liturgical material, priestly instructions about maintaining the ritual and ethical purity of the Israelite community, an obligation necessitated by Yahweh’s abiding presence in the tabernacle. Each individual Israelite must retain “Holy”, scrupulously observing priestly distinctions between clean and unclean in diet, private life, and public behavior, thus avoiding a contamination that offends the Deity and brings punishment on the entire community. Presenting detailed regulations to ensure the sanctity of both the tabernacle and everyday life, Leviticus spells out the implications of Exodus’s definition of Israel’s purpose as a covenant community: it must be a Kingdom of priest, a holy nation.

The short definition is, Leviticus contains the bi-laws for the covenant between God and his people. Covenant meaning the contract between God and the Jews.

And Moses went up to God, and the LORD called to him out of the mountain, saying, "Thus you shall say to the house of Jacob, and tell the people of Israel: 4 You have seen what I did to the Egyptians, and how I bore you on eagles' wings and brought you to myself. 5 Now therefore, if you will obey my voice and keep my covenant, you shall be my own possession among all peoples; for all the earth is mine, 6 and you shall be to me a kingdom of priests and a holy nation. These are the words which you shall speak to the children of Israel." Exodus 19:3-6
Keep in mind this is not the same covenant God made in the New Testament

16 Now the promises were made to Abraham and to his offspring. It does not say, "And to offsprings," referring to many; but, referring to one, "And to your offspring," which is Christ. 17 This is what I mean: the law, which came four hundred and thirty years afterward, does not annul a covenant previously ratified by God, so as to make the promise void. 18 For if the inheritance is by the law, it is no longer by promise; but God gave it to Abraham by a promise. 19 Why then the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the offspring should come to whom the promise had been made; and it was ordained by angels through an intermediary. 20 Now an intermediary implies more than one; but God is one. 21 Is the law then against the promises of God? Certainly not; for if a law had been given which could make alive, then righteousness would indeed be by the law. 22 But the scripture consigned all things to sin, that what was promised to faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe. 23 Now before faith came, we were confined under the law, kept under restraint until faith should be revealed. 24 So that the law was our custodian until Christ came, that we might be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a custodian; 26 for in Christ Jesus you are all sons of God, through faith. 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you are Christ's, then you are Abraham's offspring, heirs according to promise. Galatians 3:16-29

7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, there would have been no occasion for a second. 8 For he finds fault with them when he says: "The days will come, says the Lord, when I will establish a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah; 9 not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; for they did not continue in my covenant, and so I paid no heed to them, says the Lord. 10 This is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says the Lord: I will put my laws into their minds, and write them on their hearts, and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 11 And they shall not teach every one his fellow or every one his brother, saying, 'Know the Lord,' for all shall know me, from the least of them to the greatest. 12 For I will be merciful toward their iniquities, and I will remember their sins no more." 13 In speaking of a new covenant he treats the first as obsolete. And what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. Hebrews 8:7-13

Hebrews 8:7-13 Jesus points out the first covenant was faulted so he established a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah.

Below are a few scriptures dealing with this new contract

"Think not that I have come to abolish the law and the prophets; I have come not to abolish them but to fulfil them.” Matthew 5;17

For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. John 1:17

The scribes and the Pharisees brought a woman who had been caught in adultery, and placing her in the midst 4 they said to him, "Teacher, this woman has been caught in the act of adultery. 5 Now in the law Moses commanded us to stone such. What do you say about her?" 6 This they said to test him, that they might have some charge to bring against him. Jesus bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 7 And as they continued to ask him, he stood up and said to them, "Let him who is without sin among you be the first to throw a stone at her." 8 And once more he bent down and wrote with his finger on the ground. 9 But when they heard it, they went away, one by one, beginning with the eldest, and Jesus was left alone with the woman standing before him. 10 Jesus looked up and said to her, "Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?" 11 She said, "No one, Lord." And Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you; go, and do not sin again." John 8:3-11

Romans 3:20 - For no human being will be justified in his sight by works of the law, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

Romans 3:21 - But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from law, although the law and the prophets bear witness to it,

Romans 6:14 - For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

Thus a married woman is bound by law to her husband as long as he lives; but if her husband dies she is discharged from the law concerning the husband. 3 Accordingly, she will be called an adulteress if she lives with another man while her husband is alive. But if her husband dies she is free from that law, and if she marries another man she is not an adulteress. 4 Likewise, my brethren, you have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead in order that we may bear fruit for God. 5 While we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death. 6 But now we are discharged from the law, dead to that which held us captive, so that we serve not under the old written code but in the new life of the Spirit. Romans 7:2-6

Romans 7:4 - Likewise, my brethren, you have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead in order that we may bear fruit for God.

Romans 8:2 - For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set me free from the law of sin and death

So in conclusion

One cannot use the old contract and bi laws as guidelines or substitution for the new contract. As I posted earlier, the laws were never meant to deliver its people to salvation. The law was meant too lead its people to the salvation of Christ. Alive to the law dead to Christ, Alive to Christ dead to the law.

CptStern said:

A view from heaven.

Back