Remember Me. New sci-fi game from a new developer

Krynn72

The Freeman
Reaction score
Just stumbled upon this game somehow. Haven't seen much in the press about it, but it looks pretty good. Out on Steam this Tuesday. http://store.steampowered.com/app/228300/

Official Release trailer:

Video describing basic concepts/mechanics of the game:

Yep, even now, any time I read "remember me" I read it in Bender's voice.

Didn't watch the videos in this thread but my prediction for this game based on other stuff I read a few weeks ago:

It will be an interesting idea in a cool world with the actual mechanics of the memory stuff being underdeveloped and becoming repetitive after the first hour while the combat that was shoehorned in for market appeal will be awful and drag the game down further.

We'll see. I preloaded it on steam already. The fighting mechanic looks like it could be fun since you customize your own combos, and the memory remixing parts seem to be hand scripted for each situation you use it, so I'm not so sure it will become repetitive or boring during the first playthrough.

I'll look forward to the PC reviews, maybe I'll pick it up.

Combat sounds fun mechanically but it looks like it flows terribly. It doesn't help that it looks so similar to Arkham Asylum/City's, which flowed incredibly well. Even Prince of Persia's combat looks ten times smoother than this.

Concept is interesting, though.

The environments look stellar. From the little you could hear in the preview, the soundtrack may be pretty nice as well. I think I'll hold out until the first reviews, but this is definitely on my radar now.

Edit: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/remember-me. Looks like average reviews so far..

I'm through the first four episodes. Its fun, and the combat actually does seem to work pretty well in practice. The combos are not very deep, and customization of them is not very satisfying since there's only 4 different moves, and some slots are restricted. Basically once you set a combo the way you like it, unlocking new stuff is irrelevant because you just use your current combo.

The four types of "pressens" you can use in the combos basically amount to high damage, health recovery, cooldown, and chain. Chain being a multiplier of the previous pressen in the combo. In addition to combos you have special moves, like a frenzy move, a logic bomb (disabling enemy's tech abilities), sabotage (make a enemy droid fight for you and then blow up). etc. These all have cool downs, which you can speed up by using your combos that have cooldown pressens. You also get an arm-shooter thing that you see in the end of the video below. So there can be a fair amount of fun to be had using all these things at once in a fight.

So far my impression can be summarized as thus:
The graphics are very good and performance is good (running on near max settings at 2650x1440 and recording fraps at 50% resolution, and I get around 45fps on average), atmosphere is pretty good, combat gameplay is fun, plot is decent, voice-acting and dialog are bad, and some of the characters are awful in that they are cringe-level cheese. Also I ****ING HATE THE CAMERA ****. Also, at the end of the fourth episode (out of eight I believe) I've only done two remixes. They're pretty cool, and I actually wish there were more of them. As it stands now, without having finished the game, I'd say this game is a perfectly valid buy... when its discounted. I'm fine with paying $50 for it because its supporting a new developer and I'm like that, but to my cash-conscious amigos I'd say wait for a steam sale.

Here's a video showing some of the basic gameplay, and a boss fight with one of said cringe-worth characters (so far he is easily the worst offender, thank god). If I recall correctly, this is the end of the second episode, and this clip doesn't have a memory remix because there's so few of them I don't want to spoil them if anyone reads this before playing it. There's no commentary or anything, because I feel weird when talking to the computer.

The dialogue in the trailer is pretty awful

Back