Researchers Succeed in Quantum Teleportation of Light Waves

CptStern

suckmonkey
Reaction score
In a real-life use of Schrödinger's theoretical paradoxical cat, researchers report that they were able to quickly transfer a complex set of quantum information while preserving its integrity. The information, in the form of light, was manipulated in such a way that it existed in two states at the same time, and it was destroyed in one spot and recreated in another. The new breakthrough is a major step toward building safe, effective quantum computers

The results pave the way for high-speed, high-fidelity transmission of information, according to Elanor Huntington, a professor at the University of New South Wales in Australia who was part of the study.

“If we can do this, we can do just about any form of communication needed for any quantum technology,” she said in a news release.

http://www.popsci.com/technology/ar...reakthrough-could-lead-instantanous-computing

hums theme to Quantum Leap

Yes. Yeeeeeeeees.

One quantum internet, please.

One quantum toilet please. Take my poop to the sea, VIA LIGHT.

I wonder if we'll ever make very small cameras that can be teleported long distances. I'd love to see Alpha Centauri and all its planets on video before I die

Wait, so, they strategically collapse a wave function?

This is cool. I wish I had the capacity to understand this in detail, instead of a general grasp of the idea.

I also wonder if these things can, you know, get rid of the lag in online games. :p Or is it just for computing speed?

Or if I can upload my entire being into a digital format, and then construct a body any distance away, and then transmit the being and have it put into the body. Works for me. Also, irl quicksaves, in that case.

Or if I can upload my entire being into a digital format, and then construct a body any distance away, and then transmit the being and have it put into the body. Works for me.

This concept has always baffled me. If you transfered your entire being into another body, how would your consciousness 'follow' it? Like say you made that transfer into a new body but you kept the old one as it is. Which body would your consciousness lie in? Both? How would that work? It's a real mind**** to think about. Makes me think that there's no way to transfer the consciousness of a human. It's just too paradoxical.

I don't think there's anything keeping two identical personalities from existing at the same time. It would suck, I would probably end up killing my analog, but I could see it happening. I don't know about true transference though.

This concept has always baffled me. If you transfered your entire being into another body, how would your consciousness 'follow' it? Like say you made that transfer into a new body but you kept the old one as it is. Which body would your consciousness lie in? Both? How would that work? It's a real mind**** to think about. Makes me think that there's no way to transfer the consciousness of a human. It's just too paradoxical.

Not really, it would just be two instances of you, operating separately. Your "consciousness" is just your brain. If you have two brains, you have two consciousnesses. As soon as the second one is created though, both of you would start forming differences due to living in different circumstances, so it'd basically just be two different, though similar, people.

There was a guy on the Daily Show last week I think who talked about this, and how we're only a few decades from being able to make backups of our brains, and eventually we'll be able to transfer our brains into robots.

EDIT: My mistake, it was on the Colbert Report. I'm thinking of picking up this guy's documentary.

http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colbert-report-videos/381488/april-12-2011/ray-kurzweil

It's things like this that make want to go into a scientific field of study. But, my poor brain doesn't have the comprehending power to get the intricacies of it all :(

Also, we were just talking in my comp architecture class about how the Von Neumann Architecture is pretty much obsolete. I wonder if this will be its replacement?

This is really difficult to answer, because it questions the very basis of conscious experience itself. Krynn is on the right track, I think.

Personally, I believe that if you cloned yourself - not a genetic clone, but a perfect, atom-for-atom clone - then you would experience a duality of consciousness. Of course, the instant after the cloning process, both bodies begin to physically react to very slightly different set of experiences, so over time (maybe years, maybe seconds) this duality disappears. But this is based on the preconception that consciousness is the basic fundamental experience of the universe itself (basically Monism) and that individual consciousness, i.e. ego, is purely a product of a specific brain structure. So chances are there's like two people on this forum who agree with me.

Your "consciousness" is just your brain. If you have two brains, you have two consciousnesses.

But which one do I assume control of? It couldn't possibly be both. If I make 2 clones of myself and destroy the original, which brain will I feel myself going into?

I don't see how you could experience both consciousnesses at once, because then you'd be able to experience something in one consciousness and be able to apply it to another. Which is basically a telepathic link. But I don't think such a link is possible, so that's what makes me think having 2 consciousnesses doesn't make any sense.

It sounds pretty far-fetched, but still. Consider stories about fraternal twins who spontaneously "react" to situations the other is in, and also quantum entanglement. Food for thought?

Here, take this LSD.

But which one do I assume control of? It couldn't possibly be both. If I make 2 clones of myself and destroy the original, which brain will I feel myself going into?

I don't see how you could experience both consciousnesses at once, because then you'd be able to experience something in one consciousness and be able to apply it to another. Which is basically a telepathic link. But I don't think such a link is possible, so that's what makes me think having 2 consciousnesses doesn't make any sense.
This has been sci-fi fodder for 40 years now.

The answer: no one really knows what would happen if you digitally teleported a person (or if it's strictly possible). Personally I believe that the original dies, but I'm biased from watching the Prestige.

Sort of related: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_suicide_and_immortality

Neither, you'd have destroyed yourself. Making copies of yourself isn't the same thing as making instances of yourself.

Nope Vegeta's right.

For a long time I was sure I would never step in a teleporter. It would make a new you and destroy old you. The new you however would be convinced it is the old you and would never know it wasn't.

Then I started to think, but when I go to sleep I lose conciousness then find it again, what is that? Then I started getting serious and some spiritual research led to me discovering that there is no 'you' in the first place.

Our bodies are just vessels anyway. I really think it could be housed in a computer program one day and we may not even know the difference. We could all be hooked up to machines right now and we'd never really know!

/knock knock

Our bodies are just vessels anyway. I really think it could be housed in a computer program one day and we may not even know the difference. We could all be hooked up to machines right now and we'd never really know!

/knock knock
Vesels for what?

some spiritual research led to me discovering that there is no 'you' in the first place.

But? If I don't exist then... How... What? Bluuuuhhhhhhhhhrgggrgndf;omvlv;------------

*Stylo vaporises*

As far as I'm concerned your consciousness is the result of the physical arrangement of your brain. Thus if you make a copy of that without taking the physical parts then it would be a copy of you... and not you.

Though I think Solaris is right, it would probably be no different to going to sleep and waking up again. It's only the person who is conscious at any one time that can consider these things, if you are transported then the original you is not going to care that they might have been destroyed, while the new you would 'wake up' on the other side exactly the same way we all wake up in the morning after going to sleep. Who's to say that the consciousness we woke up with this morning is the same one we went to sleep with last night.

Nope Vegeta's right.

What? He didn't even make any statement to be right about. He was just asking questions out loud.

Your consciousness is bound by your brain. Hes talking like its not, and that if he made a copy of himself then his consciousness would be split between two bodies. But each body would have its own, separately operating brain, and thus its own, separately operating consciousness. Your consciousness is just a function of your brain.

Even if you were to create instances of yourself (as opposed to copies), you couldn't really have more than one consciousness functioning at a time. Like, if you made an instance of yourself, then the original you would have the brain with the consciousness that drives the instanced version of you. Anything else, I think, could only be a copy that makes a completely self contained and operated being. I can't think of any scenario where there would be identity confusion.

How would my original brain be 'driving' the instanced version though? Everything else you said I agree with though.

There is no difference between consciousness and the brain. Nor consciousness and a shoe for that matter.

How would my original brain be 'driving' the instanced version though?

I suppose the same way one would control an RC car. There'd have to be like, a blank-slate brain in the instance that can only respond to your own brain wave's transmissions (through some wireless network or whatever). Although I guess you could theoretically mix up your bodies if you're not paying attention, because I'm sure the instanced body would be feeding its information back to you as well (though not commands). Still, there'd be only one consciousness, and you'd know its in only one body. But that'd be so easy to prevent. Just have your instanced body cut off it's left pinky or something, then you always have a way to check lol.

I meant like actually how; telepathically? What do you mean a wireless network? Are you saying this would require technology and brain implants?

Yeah, probably. We've already got technology that can read brainwaves and transmit the information digitally. All you'd need is one of those in your body, along with a transmitter, and then a receiver and a device that reconverts the digital signal back into brainwaves in your instance.

So if that technology wasn't set up, then would this instanced version of myself just be... braindead?

It could even be full dead, if it required your own brainwaves to do any muscle contractions (like for the heart). If we managed to get it to do that stuff on its own, then yeah, I'd probably just be braindead. Or maybe not, maybe as soon as that connection breaks the brain would start to function on its own, as if it were a quasi-newborn baby or something. Forming its own consciousness and whatnot.

EDIT: oooo. Maybe that would only happen if there was never an actual connection between your brain and the instance's. Maybe if you had control of it for awhile, it would have remembered all the transmissions you sent to it during that time and learned how to do the stuff you were telling it to do. Thus making a retarded version of you when the connection broke because now its just a quasi-blank slate, with no information other than what it remembers you making it do.

I believe I read a article about quantum teleportation cannot transfer classical information faster than light.

Back