Resident Evil 4 Reviews

PvtRyan said:
Lets just say guns feel powerful and every bullet seems like something special :)

I agree - it's something so many other titles should offer too. When bullets hit the bad guys they should flinch - otherwise it doesn't feel like they're being hit at all (i'm looking at you HL2)

Golden Eye and Perfect Dark did it well, and now Res 4.

PvtRyan said:
Combine soldiers flinch :)

Are you sure?

If they do it's a very minor one - the shooting really isn't convincing (for me anyway) It's probably the reason why the weapons feel really weedy.

Anyways - getting off topic.

Resident Evil 4 \o/ woohoo.

PvtRyan said:
That's not really what I mean, sure it looks like you'll kill a LOT, but it's not 'bam bam bam bam' reload clip, but carefully aiming each shot, the 'zombie' reacting nicely to each shot. Lets just say guns feel powerful and every bullet seems like something special :)

Oh yeah....I know what you mean. The reactions are definitly first rate. It really does seem like every shot does something different to each enemy and they respond differently. Each shot has a unique effect.

But I guess there is a lot of "bam bam bam" action. As Gamespy put it, there is an abundance of ammo.

So far it's got a 99.3 at gamerankings, I know it's early but still thats good

Bump.

Only a few more days \o/ (and the time it takes to ship from the US to England :/)

I want it now!

9.6 from Gamespot.

Ties with GTA:SA as the highest rated game in the last 12 months. Thats a damn good accomplishment with some of the heavyweights that have come out.

good thing i bought that Gamecube :E

i am crossing my fingers for a PC port...and i don't mean a crappy port..something actually worthy of being called a port :p

Woh - just watched the gamespot video review.

Words fail me :) Simply great \o/

im sure gamecube owners are wetting themselves that finally they have a decent game,well thats not totally fair

twin snakes,zelda etc but nice to see its not being forgotten

jimbo118 said:
im sure gamecube owners are wetting themselves that finally they have a decent game,well thats not totally fair

twin snakes,zelda etc but nice to see its not being forgotten

Far from forgotten. New Zelda title this year, Mario 128 etc There were many good games last year (more than the pc offered imo)

Horses for course.

Either way - Resident Evil 4 is a 'must have'. Considering how cheap GC's are these days there's no reason why everyone shouldn't own one (it's certainly given me more value for money than my many 1000 pounds pc :/)

KagePrototype said:
And to think, I have to wait untiul march for a PAL conversion. :(

Freeloader?

(never buy pal ;) You'll save cash on games alone. Res 4 is costing me 30 quid incl. delivery from the states)

Warbie said:
Far from forgotten. New Zelda title this year, Mario 128 etc There were many good games last year (more than the pc offered imo)

Horses for course.

Either way - Resident Evil 4 is a 'must have'. Considering how cheap GC's are these days there's no reason why everyone shouldn't own one (it's certainly given me more value for money than my many 1000 pounds pc :/)

Indeed a must own Warbie.

And for all those that don't onw a GC yet, how many more reasons do you need. MP 1 and 2, Zelda series, RE1, RE 0, and RE4 among other great titles that I'm no doubt failing to mention simply because I'm in a hurry. Plus the damn thing is only $99.00. Thats dirt cheap for a next gen console. No other system offers as many reasons to own it and I laugh at people that sell the GC off as being the worst console of the 3....far from it. Quality wins over quantity time and time again.

This is a good sign considering the horrible reviews RE 2 and 3 have gotten. I like the new game playing style and the over the shoulder camera. It looks like theres plenty of action where in the older ones it was more scarce. They've dumbed down the puzzles, which is a disappointment but atleast they didn't completely take them out. Overall I think this will be the best Resident Evil to date and I'm looking forward to it tomorrow :).

Pressure said:
They've dumbed down the puzzles
This is a sort of ambiguous phrase, in the case of Resident Evil. Dumbed down puzzles can mean either "really stupidly simple puzzles" or it can mean "at least we have somewhat logical puzzles."

Pressure said:
This is a good sign considering the horrible reviews RE 2 and 3 have gotten. I like the new game playing style and the over the shoulder camera. It looks like theres plenty of action where in the older ones it was more scarce. They've dumbed down the puzzles, which is a disappointment but atleast they didn't completely take them out. Overall I think this will be the best Resident Evil to date and I'm looking forward to it tomorrow :).

When did Re2 and 3 get horrible reviews?

the cheap no graphical upgrade ports to the GC got bad reviews

/me holds up $50 pre=order stub for RE4

hurrah!

Someone give me a GameCube now!:(
Wish I hadn't sold it, never thought I would regret it but now I do, how much is a GC these days? like 100 USD right?

Warbie said:
Freeloader?

(never buy pal ;) You'll save cash on games alone. Res 4 is costing me 30 quid incl. delivery from the states)

Hey guys...uh...don't mean to sounds like a total moron here but...

What's "pal?"

DarkStar said:
Hey guys...uh...don't mean to sounds like a total moron here but...

What's "pal?"

It's a televison broadcast standard. Countries like the US and Japan use NTSC, while Europeans, Australians and a bunch of others use PAL. Because consoles use a TV to broadcast all the visuals and audio, the consoles need to adapt to a certain standard. NTSC consoles tend to run games faster but don't look as good, while PAL games run slower but usually look better, though sometimes suffer from huge black borders on the top and bottom of the screens (though this is only if the developers did a bad PAL conversion, like the Final Fantasy games). NTSC games don't work on PAL consoles, and vice versa. This is why it sometimes takes a long time for a European version of a game to appear, because they have to convert it to PAL.

These broadcasting standards don't affect PC games, or handhelds, because neither use TVs.

I hope I got all that right. :eek:

KagePrototype said:
It's a televison broadcast standard. Countries like the US and Japan use NTSC, while Europeans, Australians and a bunch of others use PAL. Because consoles use a TV to broadcast all the visuals and audio, the consoles need to adapt to a certain standard. NTSC consoles tend to run games faster but don't look as good, while PAL games run slower but usually look better, though sometimes suffer from huge black borders on the top and bottom of the screens (though this is only if the developers did a bad PAL conversion, like the Final Fantasy games). NTSC games don't work on PAL consoles, and vice versa. This is why it sometimes takes a long time for a European version of a game to appear, because they have to convert it to PAL.

These broadcasting standards don't affect PC games, or handhelds, because neither use TVs.

I hope I got all that right. :eek:

Hehe okay thanks. Stupid American here.

Gargantou said:
Someone give me a GameCube now!:(
Wish I hadn't sold it, never thought I would regret it but now I do, how much is a GC these days? like 100 USD right?

Dirt cheap my friend...considering evrything else is 150-179.

When the price fell to 100 USD, I bought a second one to put on my TV in the basement. I love Nintendo.

A little off topic, but I bought a DS yesterday....purchase of the year. That damn thing is so fun I nearly pooped myseld playing Mario 64 DS and the demo of MP:Hunters. :)

I looked for it at my local EBgames and nothing. Then I called another EB further away and they said that they'd be getting their shipment in sometime today. Im about to call Gamestop right now. I WANT THIS GAME!!!!!

:thumbs:

AH! just got off the phone with Gamestop and according to them, it doesn't come out till tomorrow. :flame: Whatever happened to "NEW RELEASE TUESDAY?!?!"

satch919 said:
I looked for it at my local EBgames and nothing. Then I called another EB further away and they said that they'd be getting their shipment in sometime today. Im about to call Gamestop right now. I WANT THIS GAME!!!!!

:thumbs:

AH! just got off the phone with Gamestop and according to them, it doesn't come out till tomorrow. :flame: Whatever happened to "NEW RELEASE TUESDAY?!?!"

Yeah, Gamestop told me tommorow as well, even though today, 1-11-05 was the official release date.

Bastards.

You'd think that a store that specializes in VIDEO GAMES would have one on its release!!!! DAMN.

Oh well, one more day won't hurt......that much. :hmph:

1 day :/

I have to wait a week while it ships to the UK.

No posts saying how great it is untill my copy arives! ok? :)

Warbie said:
1 day :/

I have to wait a week while it ships to the UK.

No posts saying how great it is untill my copy arives! ok? :)

Hehe.

Too bad Warbs. I wish there was a smiley playing a tiny violin, but alas, no such luck.

I just bought the game...and I love it! I never really got into the first RE's because I never knew what to do. I love how there is more action. I'm stuck at the one part after you get knocked out by "The Big Cheese", and wake up. I buy a rifle from the guy and do some mega sniping action, but I always get killed really far into it.

EDIT: Sorry Warbie, didnt read your post =).

It's ok - i'm not listening

lalalalalalala /o\

Time to dust off the gamecube it would seem...this game just looks too fun.

I'm off to the store to buy it right now. I'll let you UKers know if it's any good lol.

I'll probably buy a second hand GC for dirt cheap, still gotta wait two months for RE4 though :(.

Picked it up yesterday at 1pm. Haven't stopped playing since. They are right, it is by far the best survival horror game ever played. I've never liked the RE games because of their funky controls, but this game is so smooth and well designed that it feels almost natural. The AI is incredible too. You'll be inside a house, and they'll put a ladder up to the second story window. You can go over and knock it down, but they'll put it back up or find another way in. They really do freak you out at times. The locational damage has never been better. They react just like you'd expect. Shoot their leg, they fall or kneel down. Shoot their arm and they drop what they're holding. A well placed head shot causes....well you just have to see it. Oh, and the guy carrying the chainsaw, I almost fell out of my chair the first time he got ahold of me. They don't hold anything back.

Definitely a must buy for any gamecube owner. Heck with the gamecube at $100 I'd buy it just for RE4. It's an incredibly well designed game and it oozes polish at every point. The level design is convincing and spooky. The humans, though not zombies, still have this eerie presence about them. They work well together to surround you and make your life hell. I really can't say enough about the game.

If you've got questions over something, ask away.

Just got the game yesterday, and HOLY SHIT its good. Hard as all hell, but SO good.

Back