Resident Evil 4 Reviews

I'm stuck at the cavetroll type boss, after you get the key to the church. I've tried 3 times, keep dying.

Got it today and have been playing all afternoon/night.

I just got past the part with the showdown in the cabin with your Spanish ally. Love the graphics. Freaky atmosphere.

As a Resident Evil fan, I give it a 10/10.

This game is so good it almost hurts, and I thought code veronica would never be dethroned as the best survival horror game ever... well, then eternal darkness came out... then re4 came out...

Regardless, this is the best ever.

To put the difficulty of this game in perspective without giving to much away,
in the first scene of the first level you fight a Chainsaw weilding villager, 1 hit from this guy CUTS YOUR FACE IN HALF. you die in 1 hit. He can eat 6 shotgun rounds and all of your pistol ammo.
And thats the FIRST LEVEL. it gets a lot harder.

So good.

mortiz said:
I'll probably buy a second hand GC for dirt cheap, still gotta wait two months for RE4 though :(.
Same ****ing here :\ I WANT IT NOOOW!

I can't ****ing wait to play as either Albert Wesker or Hunk after finishing the game, I hope that I'll be good enough to unlock'em atleast!

Homer said:
This game is so good it almost hurts, and I thought code veronica would never be dethroned as the best survival horror game ever... well, then eternal darkness came out... then re4 came out...

Regardless, this is the best ever.

To put the difficulty of this game in perspective without giving to much away,
in the first scene of the first level you fight a Chainsaw weilding villager, 1 hit from this guy CUTS YOUR FACE IN HALF. you die in 1 hit. He can eat 6 shotgun rounds and all of your pistol ammo.
And thats the FIRST LEVEL. it gets a lot harder.

So good.
So it should be bloody (pun intended) good fun for everyone? Even people who dont like RE type games (i didn't like ED either)

I've been playing it all night last night and I can say it's definitely worth a buy. The best thing about it is the new perspective and shooting style. It gives the game a whole new feel to it. There is a lot more action than in the old Resident Evils so you won't get bored.

This is a question for people who have it.

Is it really worth it to upgrade the pistol or should I upgrade a different weapon? Is it better just to get new weapons instead of upgrading the ones you have? Are spinels good for anything or can I just sell them to get more money? I've found stuff like a Dirty Pearl Pendant and Beerstein, are they used for anything later in the game or can I sell them?

Pressure said:
This is a question for people who have it.

Is it really worth it to upgrade the pistol or should I upgrade a different weapon? Is it better just to get new weapons instead of upgrading the ones you have? Are spinels good for anything or can I just sell them to get more money? I've found stuff like a Dirty Pearl Pendant and Beerstein, are they used for anything later in the game or can I sell them?

I upgraded my pistol because its still my main weapon. Its good for capping those crazies in the knees to bring them down. Its more accurate than your shotgun.
The shotgun blows away a group of em but it also takes off the head which isn't such a good thing the further in you go.

The treasures that you find are good for other things as well. You can combine treasures too for one expensive piece of jewelry instead of selling it piece by piece. So, you may want to hang on to special pieces, not the spinels. :thumbs:

Good, is the rifle worth buying right away or should I just stick with my pistol and shotgun?

could anyone tell me what the story is like no spoilers,just in gen,whos the protaganist?setting?do you need to have played the other games to get it?is it typical survival horror or more action orientated?

Guys, if I ask for you oppinion don't flame me, is it worth buying a GameCube+Freeloader just to play this game?:)

Gargantou said:
Guys, if I ask for you oppinion don't flame me, is it worth buying a GameCube+Freeloader just to play this game?:)

If not just for Res 4, then for all the other great GC games.

A GC is the best value for money gaming purchase around at the mo :)

Ok :) Well I'll just sell my Steel Battalion collecting dust and buy a new GC and import RE4 :D

jimbo118 said:
could anyone tell me what the story is like no spoilers,just in gen,whos the protaganist?setting?do you need to have played the other games to get it?is it typical survival horror or more action orientated?

You are Leon Kennedy from the earlier Resident Evil games. You are assigned security detail for the US President's daughter. She has been kidnapped and the last known sighting of her was in a small European village. I'm thinking somewhere near Spain, or in Spain, because everyone speaks Spanish. Two local police officers drive you out to the village and drop you off, where your search for the girl begins.

Pressure said:
Good, is the rifle worth buying right away or should I just stick with my pistol and shotgun?

The Rifle is my favorite weapon. Upgrade the reload speed several times and it's a mean firearm. There are several places where it comes in handy too, where you can pick off people and lower their numbers before they get to you. Or if you can get a height advantage on them, pick them off from above. I also upgraded to the Riot Shotgun. I absolutely love it. It packs a serious punch and doesn't take as long to reload. Personally I didn't find a whole lot of use for the TMP. It seemed to be a waste of ammo. Several times I'd be mowing down people and waste 15-20 bullets because they've died but haven't fallen to the ground yet. But I suppose if you want to put out a lot of lead fast, that is the weapon to use.

As for spindels, bernstiens, rings, broaches, necklaces, etc sell it all. There's no purpose for them. If it's an item you need for later in the game, it will go under the Keys menu where it's stored for later use. All the treasures there you can sell. Some of them are worth lots of cash. And if you want to buy the more powerful weapons, like the Riot Shotgun, Rocket Launcher, etc make sure to have the Carrying Case L. The Case M won't fit the larger weapons.

Oh another Resident Evil, how awesome...how boring

Seppo said:
Oh another Resident Evil, how awesome...how boring

Suit yourself. It's not "another Resident Evil" game. It's completely different from the past versions. Going by your assumption, you're missing out on an excellent game. Probably one of 2005's best.

I heard once you shoot 10 of those blue things the weapons dealer gives you a special pistol. Does it replace your current pistol and keep all the upgrades you've gotten or is it just a more powerful one that you need to upgrade seperately?

Seppo probably knows nothing about the game judging by what he's said. But who cares he's the one missin out while we get to have all the fun :).

is it very actioney or more puzzlely?
is the action good or the usual clunky combat?
would some1 who only has 1 survival horror game and doesnt play too many enjoy it?(silent hill 3 is the 1 i have)

jimbo118 said:
would some1 who only has 1 survival horror game and doesnt play too many enjoy it?(silent hill 3 is the 1 i have)

A lot more focused on action. There are a few puzzles, but nothing that requires a lot of hard thought. They are pretty straightforward. I'm in your boat, I don't play survival horror games and I always hated RE's horrid control scheme. This latest version however is completely different. The over the shoulder view and laser sight use is simply fantastic. Interacting with the environment during fights has never been more fun. Jumping through windows, over fences, off rooftops, knocking down ladders, etc. RE4 isn't what you would expect from a survival horror game. It's so much better than any of the ones I did play.

BTW Pressure, the pistol he gives you doesn't replace the one you have, but you might as well sell the one you have. The new one has the same stats (though not upgraded) but can shoot through one enemy and hit a second. It is upgradable as well as the other weapons.

jimbo118 said:

More action oriented this time around. No clunky combat either. Its all done very well. Best one in the series IMO. Get it. :thumbs:

madacian said:
A lot more focused on action. There are a few puzzles, but nothing that requires a lot of hard thought. They are pretty straightforward. I'm in your boat, I don't play survival horror games and I always hated RE's horrid control scheme. This latest version however is completely different. The over the shoulder view and laser sight use is simply fantastic. Interacting with the environment during fights has never been more fun. Jumping through windows, over fences, off rooftops, knocking down ladders, etc. RE4 isn't what you would expect from a survival horror game. It's so much better than any of the ones I did play.

BTW Pressure, the pistol he gives you doesn't replace the one you have, but you might as well sell the one you have. The new one has the same stats (though not upgraded) but can shoot through one enemy and hit a second. It is upgradable as well as the other weapons.

CRAP! That mean's I wasted money on my other pistol. Time to load my other game lol. I use 2 save files and alternately save on each if you're wondering.

Pressure said:
Shooting these villagers is just so much fun lol.

Haha! No kidding. Shooting one in the knees, kicking it in the head, and watching the head explode, never gets old.

Blesh I'll wait til March with getting it, got so many other stuff I need to spend cashon so can't afford it :( Someone hug me...

Got a Q for those who use the rifles. Will the villagers/cultists drop the ammo if I have that type of gun? I've only come across very little amount of ammo for the rifles, I've never had a villager drop rifle ammo and I was thinking it was due to the fact I never carried it. I've only used the rifle for one part and sold it right after that spot. Now I'm at 3-1 and it seems to be the rifle is the weapon of choice for taking out guys.

BTW the game is great. Absolutely amazing.

The villagers will start dropping ammo for whatever gun you have.

Well, except the magnum, I have seen almost no ammo for that gun since I bought it.

madacian said:
Haha! No kidding. Shooting one in the knees, kicking it in the head, and watching the head explode, never gets old.

Exactly. I like capping them in the knees or setting them on fire. Love the incendiary grenades. :flame:

One time I was heading down a path and I saw like 10 villagers bunched up at the gate. I took out a frag and threw it at em. They all blew up and I walked the the gate unharmed. They didn't even see me lol.

This game gets tough! I don't know how far you guys are, but I'm at 3-3 and some of these fights are rough. Ammo starts becoming incredibly scarce too! I took on a room full of guys with 15 handgun ammo and 5 shotgun shells. After a few tries I finally made it, but man was it hard. Such a good game.

damn this game sounds good,graphically is it as good as hl2,far cry etc?

Got it last night...it's really fun...really action-oriented...though...
I miss the zombies!

Back