Secret Santa Discussion 2012

I think I have juuuuuust enough to surprise my giftee. Haven't bought yet because I don't know if it will change or not, or if the sales will affect things, but I think they're going to be happy with what I get em :)

With some luck from the Holiday sale...my giftee is going to shit themselves.

Wow, this steam sale really made things better. There are such good deal I just want to buy stuff for myself!

Question about this Steam sale schenanigans....

I heard I shouldn't buy anything til the last day of the sale...but the current deals say they're disappearing in X amount of time....if I see something today...I shouldnt buy it? Or should i? I'd prefer to buy everything at the end if that's possible.

Question about this Steam sale schenanigans....

I heard I shouldn't buy anything til the last day of the sale...but the current deals say they're disappearing in X amount of time....if I see something today...I shouldnt buy it? Or should i? I'd prefer to buy everything at the end if that's possible.
Those are daily deals and flash deals, that's the cheapest the item is going to be for the whole sale and that's when you should buy them. If a game didn't come on sale at all on such a deal, then you can get it on the last day.

Those are daily deals and flash deals, that's the cheapest the item is going to be for the whole sale and that's when you should buy them. If a game didn't come on sale at all on such a deal, then you can get it on the last day.

Im just stupid enough to not fully understand what you mean. So if its a daily deal or a flash sale, that's the lowest price it'll be. If it doesn't show up on the flash or daily deal, but is on sale now, I can wait til the end. Is this correct?

And can something that's already discounted show up as a daily/flash deal at an even greater discount?

The point of waiting till the last day isn't to buy things on the last day. The point is not to buy anything that isn't on a daily deal and wait for it to be so. If it goes on a daily deal that's the cheapest it will be for the sale. If it's on a daily deal that's when you buy it, otherwise you wait. If it gets to the last day and it hasn't been on a daily deal then get it on the last day.

My Secret Santee keeps buying things. Stop that! I want to buy you things.

Question: Does everyone get their gifts sent to them on the same day (January 4th or whatever) or do they get sent once the secret Santa sends to riomhaire and tells him "these are all the gifts"?

Also, do the secret Santa's get revealed after it's over?

Also I came into some extra money this year so I'm spoiling the **** out of my person now. :)

EDIT: I don't think, if you have something on your wishlist, you should buy it. That kind of ****s over the person buying for you if they already bought something on your wishlist, then you buy it, you know?

Question: Does everyone get their gifts sent to them on the same day (January 4th or whatever) or do they get sent once the secret Santa sends to riomhaire and tells him "these are all the gifts"?

Also, do the secret Santa's get revealed after it's over?

Also I came into some extra money this year so I'm spoiling the **** out of my person now. :)

EDIT: I don't think, if you have something on your wishlist, you should buy it. That kind of ****s over the person buying for you if they already bought something on your wishlist, then you buy it, you know?
Send me the gifts as you buy them and I'll send them all off together at the end. In previous years it got revealed because when you click the links it tells you. I can avoid that this year by adding them to my Steam Inventory then sending them on again so everything is from me. I not sure what's the best way to do that. What does everyone think?

I already said in the rules that if you're planning on buying something for yourself you should remove it from your wishlist.

My Secret Santee keeps buying things. Stop that! I want to buy you things.
How do you know your secret santa is buying you things? You're not supposed to know who they are and all the gifts are supposed to be sent to my email for me to give them out at the end.

I think the way you described is best. Everyone gets them from you, but everyone knows they're not actually from you lol

And I think Stigmata meant his Santee was buying stuff that he wanted to buy them. He doesn't know what his Secret Santa is buying him.

Santee = person you're buying for
Santa = the person buying for you

I think the way you described is best. Everyone gets them from you, but everyone knows they're not actually from you lol

And I think Stigmata meant his Santee was buying stuff that he wanted to buy them. He doesn't know what his Secret Santa is buying him.

Santee = person you're buying for
Santa = the person buying for you
The technical term is Santer.

Oh I understand now. Hopefully anyone who's doing that will see these posts and stop it.

Oh, I emailed myself the codes like we've done the last two years, to email collectively.

How do you know what game is from who? I don't think you've got me on steam (shakin_bacon)

So if I email all the codes to myself, I can send all the codes collectively to riomhaire at the end. Allowing me to make purchases as their discounts become available. That's good. That's most good.

I've sent one to Rim already but I'm not done yet. I'll just send them to myself from now on until I'm finished buying to avoid confusion.

I don't know if you all knew this, but when you buy a gift you can choose not to send it right away by putting it in your steam inventory (as a gift). I have 4 games there right now that I bought on 3 different days.

I sent friend invites to anyone who I wasn't already friends with. Please accept them. It'll make sending the gifts on easier.

My secret santa santee should stop buying things on their wishlist. They're ruining Christmas.

Shit. I just realized I, myself ruined Christmas. If my secret santa happened to purchase Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, then I will reimburse them with a game worth whatever they spent on it.

Sorry.

Why are so many people participating in this buying games? Stupid.

It's not that stupid. I mean, yeah it kind of is, but still, not buying any of 10 games on the chance that you'll get 2 or 3 of them from your SS is a pretty big opportunity cost if you can afford most or all of them during the sale. It might be too late for this to be terribly useful, but I think there should be a restriction that you *only* buy games on your Santee's wishlist, so then anything you plan on buying yourself you just don't put on your list and buy whenever you want.

I, for one, forgot that I put it on my wishlist, bought two copies for multiplayer shenanigans.

Why are so many people participating in this buying games? Stupid.
I haven't bought one game. I figure my secret santa will get me atleast one game and I usually get a game from someone in my family for Christmas. Two (atleast two) games will last me a long while, why would I need 30 games?

That's my logic anyways.

It worked out, as well. I got the Mass Effect Trilogy from my brother. I think 3 games (especially Mass Effect) will last me a damn long time, that's not counting my secret santa's game(s).

It's not that stupid. I mean, yeah it kind of is, but still, not buying any of 10 games on the chance that you'll get 2 or 3 of them from your SS is a pretty big opportunity cost if you can afford most or all of them during the sale. It might be too late for this to be terribly useful, but I think there should be a restriction that you *only* buy games on your Santee's wishlist, so then anything you plan on buying yourself you just don't put on your list and buy whenever you want.

This is how it should be. I plan to buy games in this sale, though none of them are on my wishlist.

I plan on buying one game but it's not on my wishlist anyway.

Buy whatever you damn well want. Just buy it as a gift and put it in your inventory that way at least you can give it to someone else if your santa buys it for you. Otherwise you can open it from your inventory after gifts are given out.

Where's the fun it that? "Oh boy! My secret santa got me 'X'. I already had it so it's not that exciting, but that's ok, I can just give it away."

This might be my last secret santa :\ at least my giftee has been a good boy.

Anyone who bought items on their wishlist for themselves are twats. When I set up my wish list I knew I wasn't going to buy any of them because that'd be shit if I got them in this. Even 2 or 3 games out of 10 leaves a damn good chance that you bought something someone else already got for you. It should be a rule for next year.

Buy whatever you damn well want. Just buy it as a gift and put it in your inventory that way at least you can give it to someone else if your santa buys it for you. Otherwise you can open it from your inventory after gifts are given out.
It doesn't really have anything to do with wasting money or doubling up, it's just against the spirit of the whole thing. Why even participate if you don't give a shit about what you receive? Maybe you care more about gifting stuff to other people, and that's cool, but someone else probably cared about gifting stuff to you too and you're cheapening that for them by buying your own shit. Where's the fun in that?

I guess it's less exciting if people just populate their wishlist with games they kind of want but not enough to spend their own money on, though. Personally, I have a few games on my wishlist I'd probably have bought for myself in any other circumstance, but by leaving them I a) have a range of stuff for my SS to pick from from all price ranges (all of which interest me, so I win out regardless), and b) avoid another year of buying too much and playing too little. Instead I get to pay it forward to someone else, and get them some stuff they'll probably appreciate, since I've played a lot of it myself. That's just me though, I guess some people don't hoard as much as me and want to take advantage of the deals while they can. Whatever. I forget what my point was now.

Yeah, there's stuff on my list I'd have bought myself otherwise, but I figure there's a good chance still that I'll get it anyways, and even if I don't the games I do get (and other ones I've gotten for myself prior to this but havent beaten) will hold me over for awhile. And by the time I finish them, its very possible that the game I would have bought will be discounted or had a price drop anyways.

Am I the only one who thinks the SS should end on the 4th? So if there is still something we want on the list that we didn't get we have a chance to pick it up ourselves?

Deadline for sending in gifts is Jan 5.

I personally haven't bought anything on my list (though someone was nice enough to xmas gift me). But I'd imagine people are putting things they actually want and why miss out on something that's like $2.50, 75% off? I know some santas are generous as hell but if it's a couple bucks off your back and ends up being an opportunity instead to get that game and give it to someone else, I'd call it a win-win (unless you have no friends).

Am I the only one who thinks the SS should end on the 4th? So if there is still something we want on the list that we didn't get we have a chance to pick it up ourselves?
I was just coming in to this thread to post this.

I forget if we did that in the past, though the last day is usually a bunch of popular sales items coming back so I endorse this one day earlier thing as well.

Back