Secret Santa Discussion 2012

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
gabeclaus.jpg

It's that time of year again folks. This is the official discussion thread for the Valve Time Secret Santa 2012. Post any questions or thoughts here. If you want to see the rules or join in the fun go to the sign up thread!

Since all those old members started posting again, they should consider signing up!

Since all those old members started posting again, they should consider signing up!
PM them! I will deputise you as the official Secret Santa deputy. We need to get this rolling quickly because it's so late and most of the staff are busy.

Secret Santa? Ewwww... giving and receiving presents. Count me out!

I posted this here because I put it in the other thread and deleted it after my mistake. I forgot you guys have two threads.

SORRY!

Don't make me buy you a gift, Raz. I'll do it.

Don't make me buy you a gift, Raz. I'll do it.

Don't you get this overwhelming sensation that the person you're gifting is going to be disappointed, or that you're going to be disappointed in the gift they give you and you feel really bad about that?

You've forced me to reevaluate my position on the subject. No gifts for anyone!

Don't you get this overwhelming sensation that the person you're gifting is going to be disappointed, or that you're going to be disappointed in the gift they give you and you feel really bad about that?

Well they wouldn't be getting anything otherwise, so if they're disappointed that's not my problem.

And it shouldn't be on their wishlist if they have any shot of being disappointed.

gotta loosen up my ninja, wishlists are fo this (just include a broad price range, some folks have limited budgets, some feel really generous!)

You all smell. I'm gifting myself, and no one else..... except maybe one other person..

I'm normally a Grinch and hate xmas, but it's a gift exchange among (mostly) long-time friends. Makes me all warm n fuzzy knowing I'm going to get someone aside from myself something this Christmas.

It's also weird to think about that this is basically gambling. You're putting in x amount of dollars and could possibly double that x in the way of a game, but possibly half it. Maybe break even? Maybe break even in price, but not in quality of game?
Dis shit exciting yo.

I don't think about it as gambling. I guess that's because there's hours and hours I've put into games that cost very little and some full cost titles that I've given up on in a matter of minutes. Sometimes you just can't know until you play something. I will gift according to what I think the player will want - even if it ends up costing the full sixty.

I don't think about it as gambling. I guess that's because there's hours and hours I've put into games that cost very little and some full cost titles that I've given up on in a matter of minutes. Sometimes you just can't know until you play something. I will gift according to what I think the player will want - even if it ends up costing the full sixty.

It's a gamble in the sense that you put in something and don't know if you'll get something of equal value. Not just money oriented, gameplay time as well. For example I bought Minecraft for $25 and it has just as many hours as Skyrim which I bought at launch (and the strategy guide) for a total of ~$80. I'd personally say Minecraft was a better purchase and a better game. I mean it isn't as much of a gamble because you know you'll get something you want, but if you buy someone a $60 game and they buy you a $10 game that you didn't think was as good as you thought, and only play for a few hours.. Well, the house wins?

Either way I don't really care if I get a game I don't end up playing a lot, that's not the point. This whole thing is more about giving someone else a fun time. :)

I also wanted to buy someone a full $60 game, but some money trouble arose and I couldn't.. $35 is my limit now :(

Well that's okay, like I said, it's about whatever players want within your fiscal constraints. I have a bit of spending money, I fully understand folks who don't. I'm sure they will be grateful no matter what. :]

Imma just go with whatever I truly believe they want most... hopefully I can backtrack their posts and stalk a bit :] find out their style!

Imma just go with whatever I truly believe they want most... hopefully I can backtrack their posts and stalk a bit :] find out their style!

This.

I'm looking forward to doing some detective work. And if I suck at being a detective I'll just buy EVERYTHING

And this is the magical moment with ríomhaire realised he could fix the secret santa results however he wanted.

I wish I could be like Oprah..

and YOU get your entire wishlist, and YOU get your entire wishlist, EVERYONE GETS THEIR ENTIRE WISHLIST!

Hmm might be worth mentioning that if you decide to cave in and buy something yourself that you really want (but aren't 100% your santa would buy it say if it's still a bit expensive), you could just buy it and store it in your inventory. That way at least you would have another copy to give away or whatever.

gotta loosen up my ninja, wishlists are fo this (just include a broad price range, some folks have limited budgets, some feel really generous!)

I'm talking about gifting in general, not gifting somebody something from a list of things they would want.

This year, I took everything off the list that I would absolutely purchase if it went on sale. Makes balancing this and the holiday sale much easier.

I've loved doing this every year, can't wait for the sale to start!

I'm talking about gifting in general, not gifting somebody something from a list of things they would want.
Still no. Everyone knows its a hit or miss thing, and I dont buy gifts for people who don't realize that. If I give someone something, and they don't like it as much as I thought they would, **** it, I tried, and I know they appreciate the thought (I also don't buy gifts for people who don't appreciate thoughts).

I want whoever that gets me to just buy whatever. Don't think you have to stick to some arbitrary list. Just go wild with it.

Likewise, don't feel you have to stick to my list. Just make sure you don't buy something I have already.

Sign-up is now closed. I'll be generating the pairings randomly and sending out who has who via PM. The sale reportedly starting tomorrow and ending on the 4th of January. You have the day after that to buy the gifts and send them to [email protected]. Then I'll send them all out as simultaneously as possible once I have them all.

All PMs have been sent out. If you didn't get yours please tell me and I'll check to see how badly I ****ed up.

I GOT MINE, BUT IT TOLD ME I WAS MY OWN SS.

:(

just kidding jerkwads.

Dang, I'm too late to sign up...:( Maybe next year then.

Back