Secret Santa Discussion 2014

-smash-

Content Director
Reaction score

It's that time again, everyone. Christmas is just around the corner!

ríomhaire is, erhm, "tied up" this year...

"Help me!"

Quiet, ríomhaire! Or I'm putting the sock back in.

Where was I... Oh, yes, so I'll be organizing the sixth-annual ValveTime Secret Santa event! The rules are the same as last year, but only with one new, teeny tiny caveat... You have to have at least 35 posts in our forums to participate. Sorry, but that's just how it's going this year.

The sign-up thread is here. Make sure to read the rules until your eyes bleed. If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about the Secret Santa, then leave them in this discussion thread.

Attachments

• Christmas-gifts.png
    Christmas-gifts.png
    147 KB · Views: 1,486
Last edited:
Anyone checking out this thread should head on over to the sign-up thread as soon as possible as sign-ups close this Friday, December 19th 2014.

Okay, do I smell or something? Or was it the 100 post minimum rule? Because things are much slower this year.

I've just lowered the minimum post requirement to 35.

we must make sure that the person doesnt have the game in his library yet right? (If we dont choose a game from his/her wishlist). Some people have tons of games already in their library, thats why Im askin.
Also first time I´m participating in this, its a nice idea, reminds me of school :D

edit: oh one more question: 10$ minimum means the normal price of the game or the SALE price? (sorry my english is not great so I didnt understand what you mean in the rules page)

we must make sure that the person doesnt have the game in his library yet right? (If we dont choose a game from his/her wishlist). Some people have tons of games already in their library, thats why Im askin.
Also first time I´m participating in this, its a nice idea, reminds me of school :D

edit: oh one more question: 10$ minimum means the normal price of the game or the SALE price? (sorry my english is not great so I didnt understand what you mean in the rules page)
You should check the person doesn't already own the game you intend to buy them. And yes, $10 is the SALE price (the physical amount of money you spend at the time, not the price before reduction).

Also, paging @DevonWC - You can update your post in the sign-up thread with your wishlist. We've lowered the entry limit to 35 posts, so you can join in.

I'll be closing the sign-ups thread in like 6 hours so get it in if you haven't.

Phase one is completed. I've sent all participants their giftees. Phase two begins now!

PHASE TWO (DEC 20 thru JAN 2): GIFT PURCHASING

Buying your gift

You must spend $10 minimum on your gift but you can be as generous as you like. As this is Valve Time all gifts are going to be done through Steam. Note the $10 is taking into account any sale prices during the Christmas sale so if you have a particular game in mind for your giftee WAIT AND SEE IF IT SHOWS UP IN A DAILY DEAL. You don't have to buy games that are on someone's wishlist. Just do your best to make sure it's something you'd think they want and something they don't already have.

You must not tell the person whose name you have been given that you are their Secret Santa. It's supposed to be a secret. In general telling anyone who you're buying gifts for is discouraged but not forbidden. You also might want to set your Steam gift inventory to private to make sure people don't snoop through your gifts.

Now the buying guide: READ THIS
  1. When you have everything added
  2. Step one is very simple: Find the game(s) you want to buy as your gift and add them to your cart.
  3. to your cart proceed to the checkout and select PURCHASE AS A GIFT.
  4. Next you must choose your delivery method. Send it as an email to [email protected] . Make sure you spell this correctly!
  5. Next is adding in a custom gift note and finally payment. You should be able to handle that yourself.

wow you just told us who our partner is and I had like 5 minutes left to buy a game which was one of the big sales, but steam lagged and shit happened and now I cant buy it anymore :S
Guess I have to choose a different game

wow you just told us who our partner is and I had like 5 minutes left to buy a game which was one of the big sales, but steam lagged and shit happened and now I cant buy it anymore :S
Guess I have to choose a different game
The games that were on sale yesterday are still on sale for another 24 hours, they're just listed further down the page. Alternatively, you can wait until the final day of the sale, when it may reappear.

The games that were on sale yesterday are still on sale for another 24 hours, they're just listed further down the page. Alternatively, you can wait until the final day of the sale, when it may reappear.
I know, the game I was looking for was already on sale for 48 hours now, but you´re right I could wait for the final day. Or I just choose a different game (already have one in mind).
Just one thing for next time: close the sign-up period before the sales begin :)

I know, the game I was looking for was already on sale for 48 hours now, but you´re right I could wait for the final day. Or I just choose a different game (already have one in mind).
Just one thing for next time: close the sign-up period before the sales begin :)
We usually do, but the person who usually runs the Secret Santa event wasn't available this year and we forgot about it until early this week.

edit: ignore what I said

Last edited:
Just a reminder to all participants that January 2nd is the last day to buy and/or send your gifts to me @ [email protected]. I'll then send out everyone's gifts the following day.

Okay, so I'm going to go ahead and close this now, actually, since the Encore event has started already. That way, you can feel safer buying discounted games for yourselves without worrying about getting duplicate of something your Secret Santa might be sending you.

So to all participants that haven't sent me their gifts yet, please do so ASAP.

There is a problem with your email though. Steam says it's not a 'valid' one.

That's weird because everyone else has been able to send me their gifts via email.

@User With No Name @Aizawa @Lolcomputer @Dog-- @Omnomnick @Eejit @ríomhaire @MaRsun

Last edited:
Alright, it worked this time. Must have been something with Steam.

That way, you can feel safer buying discounted games for yourselves without worrying about getting duplicate of something your Secret Santa might be sending you.
not really. The game I bought (like 1 week ago) is also in the encore sale. Next time close sign-up periods before sale starts (I know thats how its supposed to happen anyway) and also think of something to prevent buying duplicates, at least finish the event before Encore-Sale and give everyone his gift at that day so the person has still time to buy games he wants without worrying about duplicates.
But dont get me wrong, I like this event.

The Encore sale ends in under 30 minutes. Anyone who still has to buy gifts for their Secret Santa had better do so right now.

Thanks for the gift! I wish to know who my Secret Santa was!

edit: Assetto Corsa is awesome! Unfortunately its not a proper "game" but an exceptional simulation.

Last edited:
Literal whatthe****s are in order.

Tropico 5, Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel Season Pass, Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, and Lego Marvel Super Heroes. Super, massive, amazing, huge thanks to whoever bought this stuff!

RyL9rob.jpg

Oh cool Ground Zeroes. That was one of those things I wanted but didn't really want to buy.

Wait, shouldn't it be Grounds Zero?

Or is it a game about puree of Japanese Fighter Plane?

Just redeemed my gifts: Van Helsing 2, Wasteland 1, and Chivalry!

Thanks a ton, Mr Secret Santa! I'm going to play the shit out of all these ma ****as!

EDIT: Wasteland 1 is.. Interesting! I'm definitely going to have to watch a Let's Play of the first little bit. One of those old what-do-I-do kind of games haha

Last edited:
Took me some time to realise that I recieved a gift, but damn I am happy for Shovel Knight. Thank you a lot whoever was my secret santa.

Thank you so much to my Secret Santa for Nuclear Dawn! Sorry for the late reply, I was in Florida visiting family/attending a christening. Nuclear Dawn was always one of those games I would occasionally see featured on the storefront, knew very little about, be intrigued by, and finally be interested to try out to see how good it is, but not wanting to spend money on because of how little I knew about it. Though I look forward to playing it now! Thank you to my secret santa, If only I knew who you were.

Back