Secret Santa Discussion 2013 - Merry Everyone!

ríomhaire

Staff member
Reaction score
vt_Secret_Stanta_2013.png
Hey everyone I've finally gotten around to putting up the sign-up for this year's Secret Santa! We have a much classier banner announcing it this year so I expect all of you to show just as much class. Head over to the sign-up thread to take part and please if you know anyone who may want to take part but doesn't check the forums much any more please send them a message!

Wish I could join in. :( But I hope everyone has fun doing it! :D

I'll be signing up tomorrow.

I'm in, as always. This year should be cool, with the wealth of new games out thanks to greenlight.

I'm going to pass this year. I gifted to the same person two years in a row, and I still haven't done much with my gifts from last year.

How do we feel about brand new members participating? There's very little security wrt culpability of actually participating.

All the ones before had a restriction on it, and you had to be a reasonably active member for 1+ years. Frankly its probably better that way. Not to say these guys in particular ring of ill-intentions (other than the suspicious fact that there's so many of them), but even if they do follow through, I don't think its a good precedent to set for future years where undoubtedly such an issue will eventually come up.

On the other hand, they make up almost half the participants this year... so not sure how I'd call it.

Well I have to manually send anything out so if anyone doesn't actually contribute anything I simply won't be sending them the gifts they were bought. If they match up to something their giftee wanted I could send them on to them instead.

Not that I am completely pessimistic about our new members. If anyone of you are reading this please stick around!

Good guy rimfire. Being the grinch so you don't have to.

Well I have to manually send anything out so if anyone doesn't actually contribute anything I simply won't be sending them the gifts they were bought. If they match up to something their giftee wanted I could send them on to them instead.

Not that I am completely pessimistic about our new members. If anyone of you are reading this please stick around!

Fair enough, but would two sub-pools of gift exchange be appropriate to avoid chance of disappointment? All the single-post accounts made today and yesterday could be assigned secret santas with each other.

I'm honestly starting to think this was posted about somewhere (like 4chan or something) and its making me suspicious. This never happened in all the previous years' Secret Santas.

I'm honestly starting to think this was posted about somewhere (like 4chan or something) and its making me suspicious. This never happened in all the previous years' Secret Santas.

It was mentioned on the Round-Up yesterday. We told users with a forum account to head on over and sign-up.

Which was taken as telling everyone who subscribed to the youtube channel to make a forum account, I guess. In previous years we've had quite a few cases of people shelling out substantial amounts simply because they like the community enough to spend more than ten dollars, I'm not sure anyone will be too excited to give a generous gift to a member whose only post has been their steam wishlist

Which was taken as telling everyone who subscribed to the youtube channel to make a forum account, I guess.

Yeah, maybe. At the same time, I'd personally prefer new members to sign-up and take part as an alternative to having a total of 4 participants for the entire event, causing it just collapse (which was about to happen when the episode was written and release, as more people only signed up after it was released).

All PMs with your giftee should have been sent out. If you signed up and didn't receive a PM please tell me straight away.

I am here to discuss the fact that I returned to the forum one day to late to participate. Crippling sadness.

I am here to discuss the fact that I returned to the forum one day to late to participate. Crippling sadness.

And we'll pretend like it wasn't totally on purpose. Cheapskate.

Sorry guys! I'll participate next year, I swear!

(Much <3 to ShinRa for last year, I ended up playing and enjoying all my games :))

I've gotten things from more than half of you at this point just to say. No rush for the rest of you: As long as I get them before the end of the Steam sale it's all good. Also a reminder that if you had something on your wishlist and your secret santa got it for you but you had already bought it for yourself that's your own fault.

I've noticed my recipient doing the same as me and editing their wishlist to add items on sale. This I recommend. I'm also adhering strictly to their wishlist since I don't want to buy something else on sale that they might buy themselves (that's not on their list).

Yep, anything that I intend on buying for myself if I see a good deal for it, is not on my wishlist.

Last year the cut off date was the day before the steam sale ended, just incase people wanted to buy something on their wishlist that was on sale that they didn't get during the SS. Just a thought.

Also a reminder that if you had something on your wishlist and your secret santa got it for you but you had already bought it for yourself that's your own fault.

Eh, other people buy me gifts from my Wishlist too and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Just because someone has a game that was previously on their wishlist doesn't necessarily mean they bought it themselves.

Actually just happened to me last night, an IRL friend got me Spelunky.

I don't have any friends that ever bought me a game. My life is sad.

Two of the newly signed up users have gone silent. I'm really hoping they send things in at the last minute but I may just have to sort out the gifts as I can in the circumstances. If I'm lucky the games that the people got for them will match up with stuff that the people they were meant to get stuff wanted but if not I might sort it out myself out of pocket.

I'm going to send out the stuff for veteran members now and try to sort of the new members stuff after. Sorry to everyone this delays things for.

I got The Wolf Among Us! Whoever you are mysterious redacted stranger, thank you!

Hopefully the [REDACTED] recipient of my presents is satisfied.

I received Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Thank you! I was really surprised!

Back