Shogun 2: Total War

Didn't play the demo yet, but I just bought the game.

I sucked so much at Medieval 2 I'm afraid to go for this. I think I'll stick with Medieval 2 and Civ 5 to satisfy my turn based needs. Not to mention I just bought King Arthur and have yet to even launch it, though I did find the demo to be entertaining.

I keep getting my ass kicked in the historical mission. Is it supposed to be winnable? Playing on hard difficulty, the best I can manage is like 1.25 kills per loss of one of mine, which still leaves like a shitload of enemies.

I keep getting my ass kicked in the historical mission. Is it supposed to be winnable? Playing on hard difficulty, the best I can manage is like 1.25 kills per loss of one of mine, which still leaves like a shitload of enemies.

It's a Bushido simulator. Choose death.

Got to playing Rome: Total War. Holy shit I forgot how much better it was compared to the others.

I could never quite put my finger on why, but Rome is undeniably the best Total War title. Medieval 2 can only compete with mods.

*Edit*

Note: Have not tried Shogun 2 yet. Very much enjoyed the first.

Empire: Total War is decent if you ignore the numerous bugs and glitches that plague the game, but yes, Rome: Total War is undoubtedly the best in the series. Perhaps Shogun 2 will carve an amazing path and become even better.

Rome was my least favorite. What's wrong with you guys!

Shogun Total War was the best. Followed by the original Medieval.

Shogun Total War was the best. Followed by the original Medieval.

I honestly never played Rome or the original Shogun. I loved Medieval II, and I loved Empire in between its many game-breaking, wrath-inducing bugs.

The older ones before Rome had such archaic and clumsy UIs that they were a pain to play for me.
Though, I enjoyed Shogun the most just because it's about a time period that rarely gets the proper video game treatment it deserves.

I love all of them. I started at Rome though, might be why I have a special thing for it. Playing on hard campaign difficulty seems to just spawn full stacks of armies near the briton/gallic capitals, so it's such a bitch to get anywhere.

Thankfully dirty barbarians can be killed in the thousands by 800 legionaries. If you don't look in the screenshots thread check out my steam screenshots.. I took some of defending Narbo Martius versus a full stack of Spanish troops. Defending is painfully broken when all the enemy has are light infantry. What isn't shown is that I'd been defending using those same units against a previous 4-5 more full army stacks, one after the other.

I love Empire, but jesus christ it really likes to crash and it just kills my motivation to play. Napoleon is even worse, but I love the visual morale system and wish it was in Empire.

Hopefully Shogun doesn't have these issues, the demo seemed stable enough. what were with those low poly textures, though, Rome looked crisper and better than it

I should have said that Empire and Napoleon which I haven't played are my least favorite.

only played rome and shogun 1, both were awsome. although now I'm a little concerned about the high system reqs. of Shogun 2, the demo didn't run too well either :|

Need a new PC for this but I am not gonna be getting one until May.:(

Maybe I'm just blind, but I cant see anyway to buy this on Steam. Like, there is no button to add it to your cart anywhere.

RS2IE.jpg

Well... shit. Guess I'll head to Best Buy tomorrow and get it there.

Just played for an hour and has got a few questions.
- Guys seem to auto Run when you move them. They always used to be on walk until you hit the R key, any ideas how to turn this off?
- Units always used to keep their formations in relation to each other, now they seem to create new formations when you move them. Whats the shortcut to keep them the same.
- Are you able to replenish your dudes quickly. You used to be able to put them in a barracks and they would replenish over a turn. Now it seems you just keep them in a city and they regain a few men a season. Any way of speeding this up?

My Specs, tell me if I could run this smoothly.

Pentium D 2.8Ghz Dual Core
NVidia GTX 460 1 GB
4 GB RAM
plenty of HDD space

I had some serious graphical issues with the game when I first got it, but that just came down to outdated driver support; however while the game is now at a playable standard, I'm still suffering from no antialiasing (as in, the menu won't even let me) and ugly, poor textures; my graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT which according to sega support is fine for the game. I'm also now having an issue with steam which prevents me from playing the game whereupon I get an error message saying "Incomplete installation of Total War: Shogun 2 (15)", which wasn't explained at the steam help and support section.

bummer, I'll just wait for the price drop but damn does this game look good

I get an error message saying "Incomplete installation of Total War: Shogun 2 (15)", which wasn't explained at the steam help and support section.

I got this too and fixed it through restarting steam, seems it just got a bit confused about something.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1795544

I had a chat to one of the developers about this odd run thing too and seems astho it was one of the designers bright ideas. If you just right click to move a unit they will walk to that position but if you drag out your formation to move they will RUN to that position. Its retarded :( I like to walk my guys to keep they full of energy until the battle. Hope it gets fixed in a patch very soon.

I had a chat to one of the developers about this odd run thing too and seems astho it was one of the designers bright ideas.

JJ Simmons "You're Fired!"

Yeah, I never understood that myself. Keeping your units fresh is more important than running around in circles. I thought double clicking to run was adequate enough, but I guess many people can't even do that.

Does anyone know how to trade with western ports without accidently attacking somebody elses trade ship already docked there?

Everything works great for me.

Same for me. I dont get the anti-aliasing option though, which I suspect is some kind of hardware limitation, like a couple years ago you couldn't have AA and HDR on at the same time. Textures are great for me though, set on high, but a 9800 is not going to be able to get even close to the same resolutions I have.

It lags a bit on ultra, but it's smooth at high for my 4850 which looks like Empire, which is fine with me. This game definitely has a whole lot more depth than the previous games, especially multiplayer. I took some screenshots, will be uploading via steam once I get done.

Runs fine on low settings on this laptop @ 1600x900 apart from some slow-ish load times. AMD M520, 4GB RAM, ATI mobility 4530.

Nevermind, can't seem to get into a game on multiplayer. It just hangs on matchmaking.

Has anyone figured out how to replenish troops other then waiting 10 turns??

*than

But no, you wait. There are 'arts', buildings etc. which increase rate of replenishment. It becomes much more rapid mid-late game in decent provinces.

Troop replenishment is the same as it is in Empire and Napoleon; instead of magically adding men to forces it works off of a certain number per turn based on what unit it is(how rare, how many resources you need to make them, etc) and the region. Ashigaru units will replenish faster than no dachi samurai, for instance.

You can build an Encampment(highish level building) and the second tier of that, the Barracks, which adds a good +40% to replenishment rate I believe.

Back