Steam "Give & Get" Sale Begins

I added 10 games that I don't really want to my wishlist... but wouldn't mind if they were free. Just gotta get the most value for this thing if I'm gonna win free games.

So, anyone want to offer a theory on why they're pushing the wishlist feature all of a sudden? Your options:

1) They need more data for the new recommendations system
2) They're using the data to influence the sales in some way
3) They have no ulterior motives whatsoever, they're just philanthropic arseholes.
4) ...
5) Profit!
6) All of the above

edit: ATTENTION FAGGY WEEABOOS
Holy crap at the Indie Story Pack. £3.99 for Recettear some of you were probably waiting on. Now you get four other games in there too, and most of them were reasonably well received titles

edit2: Krynn, And Yet It Moves is in the above pack
Also:
Puzzle Agent
Gish
Jolly Rover

The holidays are coming. This is a great feature for parents or family members who don't know shit about games.

My 5: Witcher's 1-2, Portal 2, Dragon age ultimate, lost planet 2

So, anyone want to offer a theory on why they're pushing the wishlist feature all of a sudden? Your options:

3) They have no ulterior motives whatsoever, they're just philanthropic arseholes.
4) ...
5) Profit!
6) All of the above

Honestly, its probably just to make people aware that there is a wishlist feature.

I'm probably getting the indie story pack in a few mins.

I added 10 games that I don't really want to my wishlist... but wouldn't mind if they were free. Just gotta get the most value for this thing if I'm gonna win free games.

Post em.

In all honesty, I don't give a shit for wishlists. If I really want the game, I'll definitely remember it. I suppose it's good for them though, reminding you to spend your money!

4) ...
5) Profit!
6) All of the above
Valve just got a lot of people to think about and make a list of what games people want to have. They've gotten people to decide what they want while having a sale and when people know a Christmas sale is coming.

Not only do they suddenly have loads of data on what games people want (which like you said would surely be good for the recommended for you stats) but they also have gotten you to make a permanent (unless you delete the wishlist when this is done) list reminding you of what games you want to own (interesting fact, the recommended for you page tells you when games you like are on sale).

People who don't own any games on Steam are also eligible for this so they probably have just gotten a bunch of people to sign up to their games-purchasing service and make a list of the top ten games they would like to purchase from their service and this is all costing Valve next to nothing to do. Valve are marketing geniuses.

lists are public.

Raz's list.

20101126113140capture.jpg

20101126113223capture.jpg

Oh, and, that's in US dollars, so it costs ~120 here. Yeah! F*ck activision etc (not that I'd ever want to play it!)

Think of us in the UK then! US price for Black Ops - $59.99, we have to pay what converts to $63. Tragic eh?

Think of us in the USA though. $59.99 USD for any new console game, but we have to live in the US. A couple extra bucks on your games seems like a small price to pay!

I bought Black Ops for $45 from D2D. Still rip off if you ask me. If you are fan of poor optimization and instant spawn kills, have at it!

Nothing impressive from the daily deals so far. Most of the games that interest me are months away from being released.
I am somewhat intrigued by AudioSurf though. Does anybody here have it? How well does it work with your own song collection? Is it any fun at all?

Yeah, it's pretty enjoyable. Good with two players, but the novelty does wear off after a while and the games processes become a little tiresome.

edit: there're millions of gameplay videos on youtube, check them out.

lists are public.

Raz's list.

You obviously did what I wanted you to do.

Also stop using different fonts!

EDIT: I left the opening in there intentionally. That's why you see my comment about your dumb fonts :p

Aww, how kind of Valve... Well, no point in creating a wishlist then...
Not really following... is it because of the huge userbase and hence low odds? Because a very small chance is larger than no chance at all, and all it costs you is telling them what games you would like for their own mass marketing statistics - a fair trade in my opinion.

No one has Rage on their list ?
am i missing something ..

id software is dead.

I bought Black Ops for $45 from D2D. Still rip off if you ask me. If you are fan of poor optimization and instant spawn kills, have at it!

Nothing impressive from the daily deals so far. Most of the games that interest me are months away from being released.
I am somewhat intrigued by AudioSurf though. Does anybody here have it? How well does it work with your own song collection? Is it any fun at all?
Both Target and Amazon were selling Black Ops for $10 earlier today. Snatched it up while I could.

Yeah, that went quick.

No one has Rage on their list ?
am i missing something ..

I put it on mine after I saw my friend had it. I had totally forgotten about it. Not even really sure I want it though, because I doubt its going to be that good.

whatadeal.jpg

(this was fixed in the time between me taking that screenshot and uploading the image)

Yes. It will be fixed.

Full sale list:

Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - $14.99
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Gold Edition - $13.60
Machinarium - $5
Tropico 3: Gold Edition - $7.50
Torchlight - $5
Empire: Total War - $14.99
ARMA II: Operation Arrowhead - $19.99
Blur - $14.99
Indie Clever Pack - $4.99

Today's Gift Packs

Freedom Force - $7.49 for 10
Portal - $14.99 for 6
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II Chaos Rising - $39.99 for 8
Empire: Total War - $59.99 for 6

AHHHH! I just bought the indie story pack (really just for Puzzle Agent) and now I'm sorely tempted to buy the clever pack. God damn it I hate you Valve, almost as much as I love you.

Bleh, all the Arma games are so cheap today. Tempted to get it, but worried I will hate it.

What do you mean by it is dead ?
Even if you've got no objections to the quality of DOOM III, the fact that said game was the only top-tier title they've released since Quake III Arena ten years ago should probably give you a clue*. iD Software releasing games is like when some 80s band reforms for a new album. Your reaction is usually one of surprise that they still exist, which changes into indifferent interest tempered by the fact that you know it'll be shit

* I think it's probably uncontroversial to say that the only half interesting thing they've done since Quake III Arena is Quake III Arena

I understand the history of iD, but from gameplay videos it is looking IMO very good, and i don't mean the gfx but gameplay. But yeah they need to prove themselves with it.

And yes, i am crap with english .

Bleh, all the Arma games are so cheap today. Tempted to get it, but worried I will hate it.

Get it. I didn't like the game until I started playing online with other hl2.netters. I ****ing love the game now though. Playing in a 6-person squad where we play tactically in co-op missions is major fun. Ren182 just bought all the games today, so he's probably going to be joining us as well.

I understand the history of iD, but from gameplay videos it is looking IMO very good, and i don't mean the gfx but gameplay. But yeah they need to prove themselves with it.

And yes, i am crap with english .

Don't worry about your English, its fine. As for iD, its hard to say if Rage is going to be fun, because there hasn't been any straight gameplay videos without lots of editing. I always remain skeptical about a game until I see an unedited video of someone playing for a few minutes. iD's history is all the more reason to remain skeptical.

$22.49 is a ****ing deal of the century for Arma 2: Combined Ops

Unfortunately since it's on Steam, it won't be as easy to work with regarding patches/betas/acemod, but it's probably worth the sale price.

I'd recommend anyone who is looking for a new FPS and multiplayer cooperative experience (with fellow hl2.netters!) to get this pack.

I would like to point out as a side note that as of the current patch, the game is kind of broken for some people. But BIS is working hard to get some kind of hotfix out, so please don't be too disappointed if you try out the game and something bad happens.

Which of the Arma games is the one you're all playing, Combined Ops? What is the difference between that and Operation Arrowhead? Also is it a super realism FPS, I've been thinking about it for a while but I'm unsure if it will be my kind of thing.

Back