Steam's Big Picture Mode Trailer Released, BPM now in Open Beta

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Big Picture Mode is now LIVE! Restart steam to check it out!
To start using Big Picture mode, opt into the Steam Beta Update.

Valve have just released a brand new trailer showcasing Big Picture mode, a new optional UI redesign for Steam intended for use on big modern televisions with controller support.

In the trailer, Valve talk about Big Picture mode's new features, including controller typing support and an integrated web browser which "doesn't suck". Check it out at the link below, and get ready for the planned launch later today. The official update page has been released, showing off all the new modes and features, head over to the page here to read all about it.

Aww, the link in the video description leads to a 404 right now ;_;
Can't wait to try this out. I'm going to need a new controller, a 360 controller in fact. Too bad 360 controllers for PC are 40€ and I only have 9€ :(

EDIT: The site is up now! http://store.steampowered.com/bigpicture/
The beta itself is still on it's way

Debating whether or not to buy Arkham Asylum GOTY then move the PC over to the big TV and pretend I'm doing it to try out Big Picture Mode and not just to spend most of the money I have left on a Batman game.

How is this different from having an HDMI cable from my computer to my tv?

How is this different from having an HDMI cable from my computer to my tv?
I'm not sure what you think this is. It's an alternative UI for the Steam programme not a device to plug into your TV.

That's what I mean. They are making quite a bit of noise over what is just a new UI. As if we couldn't access our Steam libraries from the living room before this.

Unless I'm supposed to deduce that at some point in the future there will be a separate box with access to Steam and strictly Steam apart from my personal computer that will exist in my living room and the Big Picture Mode is what it will use as a UI. Anything else seems like more work than what is necessary for what either the company or the consumer will get out of this.

Requires me to run an HDMI cable from my PC to TV? No thanks, I don't have a 200ft HDMI cable. Would have been cool if it was easier to access.

I seriously tried using an HDMI when CS:GO came out and it was cool at first but then I stopped and kept playing on my laptop

Big Picture Mode is neat but that trailer is so misleading. It's like, "Why leave your PC behind when you go to your TV? Now you don't have to, because Steam has a new TV-friendly UI!" Wait... but my PC still isn't at my TV. Derp.

Was about to ask if you could actually play your Steam games, but it's just a console UI?
ed: nvm, according to the site, you need to connect your pc to your tv and you'll be doing pc on tv.

Was about to ask if you could actually play your Steam games, but it's just a console UI?
It has nothing to do with consoles. It's literally just an alternate UI for steam. You still need a computer. You still need to hook your computer up to your TV.

Even if it is just a new UI, I can see how some people would find it useful. Maybe it's just me, but I thought the typing for controllers looked like genius design.

Of course it's useful. I'm just saying a lot of people have probably been a little misled by how Valve went about marketing this.

Oh, I didn't mean to argue against you there. I agree it could be confusing for people who didn't know what it was in the first place.

Some really bad photos of me installing Arkham City with BPM on my brother's rig in BPM. Still has some interface issues to work out with launching games it seems

http://imgur.com/a/jtjrh

Some really bad photos of me installing Arkham City with BPM on my brother's rig in BPM. Still has some interface issues to work out with launching games it seems

http://imgur.com/a/jtjrh
Where are the issues? The CD Key thing could be annoying, but that's just more incentive for developers to start using Steam for authentication as opposed to antiquated keys.

Well, I'm still waiting on the software on Steam....what happened to the 5th of Sept? Oh wait...valvetime....

Where are the issues? The CD Key thing could be annoying, but that's just more incentive for developers to start using Steam for authentication as opposed to antiquated keys.
There are still plenty of issues. So far the CD-key pop-up and first-time install stuff (direct x, etc.) all have to be dismissed or canceled with the mouse, no gamepad support. The "play game or configure" dialogue box showed up as normal Steam on the first run, but as the BPM equivalent on subsequent runs. The overlay sometimes either becomes invisible or stuck on its current image (if I move around the controller I can still hear the menu navigation noises, so it's not frozen) and doesn't fix itself till I exit BPM. Crashes Steam on closing BPM too sometimes. Arkham City is not without its bugs too.

Back