"Swine Flu" appears, quickly spreads to US.

1216502342206bc0.jpg

This is bad news for the world. What Ive heard through the danish newspapers, and television, all of the American infected survived and only 80 of a 1000 died in Mexico. I think that this shows us that (no offence) the mexicans who died, were "unclean", while the americans, had opportunity to get treatment. Just what I think

On a joking side note
On some of the boards in L4D a date of those who died is writen, sometime around october 09. Well could this be...

Since I live in a school 24/7 that's in a mountain, I prolly will be safe. Suckers! :p

If caught early it is treatable and they also have vaccines for it now, saw it on the news yesterday. I seriously doubt it will get out of hand.

If caught early it is treatable and they also have vaccines for it now, saw it on the news yesterday. I seriously doubt it will get out of hand.

Ive just read that too. And still no word about deads aoutside Mexico. Viva la world

^ New Zealand has just been hit. 10 suspected cases.

But the mortality rate of this one seems to be fairly low. I don't think it will turn into a pandemic.

It better not be a pandemic, because I would be pissed that my family in their desert island country will be safe while I'm sitting in a town barely an hour away from London.

I am the only one who takes this whit some seriousnes?

I see people going whit the "oh yeah like the bird and all this is just media scaremongering" but it looks much more serious,events and places are closed and people are geting mask and 83 people have died since 2 months compared to the 200 reported deaths of bird flu in like 4 years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H5N1#Humans_and_H5N1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_H1N1_flu_outbreak

even though not all are confirmed to be that specific one

I dont want to sound like a "doom is coming!" person but I just wouldnt be thinking that all this is bullshit,after all it happened before

Thank god its H1N1 not H5N1.

In the worst case scenario, when the H5N1 virus mutates so it can spread by human to human contact, we atleast get the possibility to make an antidote.
Now were just basicly waiting for shit to hit the fan so that we can clean it up.

I say we kill all wildlife and go to the moon.

-dodo

Since I live in a school 24/7 that's in a mountain, I prolly will be safe. Suckers! :p

But if someone does catch it at your school.... you got nowhere to run.

I am the only one who takes this whit some seriousnes?

I see people going whit the "oh yeah like the bird and all this is just media scaremongering" but it looks much more serious,events and places are closed and people are geting mask and 83 people have died since 2 months compared to the 200 reported deaths of bird flu in like 4 years
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H5N1#Humans_and_H5N1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_H1N1_flu_outbreak

even though not all are confirmed to be that specific one

I dont want to sound like a "doom is coming!" person but I just wouldnt be thinking that all this is bullshit,after all it happened before

The people that died in mexico may have not be killed due to the virus though, they think it was other factors, and generally the mortality rate is actually very low and quite a lot of people are said to be getting better. It should blow over soon.

This basically IS the bird flu. The reason "nothing happened there" was because Bird Flu never gained the ability to be transmissible between humans and other humans. It was only transmissible from birds to humans. Thus, infection rates were very low. Exactly as was predicted by many epidemiologists, a similar flu has spread from birds to pigs, and to humans. In the process, it gained the ability to be transmissible between humans. This is exactly what we were afraid was going to happen with Bird Flu. It is happening right now.

If this has the same lethality as Bird Flu, we have a lot of reason to be worried. A pandemic with the transmission of common flu but the lethality of Bird Flu or Spanish Influenza may mean the death of millions of people world-wide. It could be a catastrophe.

We just have to hope that it isn't so lethal, and that the authorities can contain it in time.

EDIT: The disease has just been reported in New York City. It really is a pandemic. It's likely that people who didn't know they had symptoms have been traveling by air for weeks. We should start seeing it in major population centers around the world now. This is very, very bad news.

EDIT 2: The disease has been spotted in Kansas and Nebraska

And then the infected rise up from the grave to feed on the living.

*yawn*

Another boring doosday scare, boohoo.

And then the infected rise up from the grave to feed on the living.

*yawn*

Another boring doosday scare, boohoo.

You really are ignorant, aren't you?

This isn't some fictional zombie disease, it's a H1N1 flu virus. The last H1N1 pandemic killed 50-100 million people worldwide. This might be less severe, it could be worse. It's certainly a real cause for concern to anyone with half a brain.

The Spanish flu killed people within 24 hours and there was no cure, not to mention there was a war going on at the time of its origin and they hardly had the technology and procedures to contain such a threat, it is no where near as severe as that was I assure you.

It's not clear how severe it is yet, the mortality hasn't been established, nor has infection rate so don't give assurances based on wishes and rainbows. Hopefully you're right, but it's simply an assumption at this stage.

The effective anti-virals aren't sufficient in supply to halt a pandemic, and it's unlikely the spread can be effectively controlled at this point.

We should've shot the pigs when we had the chance. Now they caused our fall.

Seroiusly, this doesn't look terribly bad, but I'm still a bit worried. My parents just went to New York, which has been hit, and my sister is in India, which hasn't been hit, but I guess it could spread rapidly if it does.

Once it spreads beyond a certain amount it can go global basically. The Spanish Flu ended up infecting half of the world's population and there was a lot less global travel in 1918, plus what there was was usually slower.

A lot less global travel apart from the millions of soldiers travelling around the world.
I'm in South America, so I should be safe.

Wait.

SHIIIIIIIII

What confuses me is that there is an obvious state of emergency in terms of containing this thing, yet flights haven't been grounded, people can leave Mexico merely by filling out a questionaire.

Perhaps the greatest warrior and military leader of all time, the undefeated Alexander the Great, won hundreds of battles and conquered most of the known world, only to die at 34 years old from malaria by mosquito bite.

And that is relevant because ... the biggest threat to humankind is disease.

Not really Virus, disease can't wipe us out entirely, our nukes can.

Seriously? OK, I can respect that. That's number 2 on my list. But I believe that a deadly communicable disease is much more of a threat.

A powerful disease can easily kill people within 24 hours (it's happened before), and spread through congested populations with overwhelming speed.

Would it take out every human on earth? Certainly not, but neither would the nukes, mostly because they won't be targeting everything on earth.

Once one country takes a nuke hit (in fact they often will have warning by radar), they will retaliate and decimate whoever launched it.

Most of the nukes are owned by very large countries (not small ones like Japan) with nukes available from many parts of the country, not to mention nuclear capable ships and submarines always ready.

Scenarios can play out in many ways, but hopefully, we'll never know.

The only thing that could wipe out humanity entirely would be a natural disaster of epic proportions, like an asteroid hitting earth or something. Even in huge disease outbreaks such as the Black Death and Spanish flu, whereas millions died, still many, many more people survived. As for nukes, if prepared then humanity could survive a nuclear war.

It's in Canada now :D

Coincidentally my entire family feels the beginnings of a flu coming on..

I wonder if a man could kill six to seven billion people with a knife if they all formed a queue.

If anything, I would prefer an extinction event to having to watch one or more members of my own family die in a feverish delirium drawn out over several days and/or suffering it myself, knowing that the majority of people will survive.

Flu is a sniper picking off random people from a clocktower, stand me at the epicentre of a groundburst anyday.

What confuses me is that there is an obvious state of emergency in terms of containing this thing, yet flights haven't been grounded, people can leave Mexico merely by filling out a questionaire.

The disease is already impossible to contain. It is likely that people have been traveling to and from Mexico by air for weeks since the start of the outbreak. Some of these people might have had the disease. The disease is already in the U.S, so what's the point of closing off the borders and restricting air travel? All that will do is cause panic. Restricting travel at this point when we don't know anything about the severity of the disease would be a very bad idea.

What would likely happen if travel were restricted is that people would start to panic. Hospitals would get flooded by people with colds, and people with allergies. There'd be no way to tell which people had the disease until they started dropping dead. Further panic ensues, and the medical system is overwhelmed.

What we must do is remain cautious, only seek out confirmed cases of the disease, figure out exactly what properties it has, and how fast it is spreading, and only if we are positive that it is an imminent and virulent threat should we start closing down transportation networks.

People are already panicking around that infected school in New York and the school in San Antonio, and the hospitals are getting flooded. Whatever happens, we must prevent this sort of panic.

Besides death, what are the symptoms?

General flu symptoms really. But not everyone has died from it, there hasn't been any fatalities other than in Mexico, could be significant.

And yeh good call theotherguy.

Back