"Swine Flu" appears, quickly spreads to US.

theotherguy

Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30398682/

A new swine flu strain that has killed as many as 68 people and sickened more than 1,000 across Mexico has “pandemic potential,” the World Health Organization chief said Saturday, and it may be too late to contain the sudden outbreak.

The number of cases in the U.S. still stands at eight, all in California and Texas. The Texas health department announced Saturday that Byron Steele High School in Cibolo, near San Antonio, will temporarily close as local health and school officials work to keep the virus from spreading.

“The situation is evolving quickly,” Chan said in a telephone news conference in Geneva. “A new disease is by definition poorly understood.”

This virus is a mix of human, pig and bird strains that prompted WHO to meet Saturday to consider declaring an international public health emergency — a step that could lead to travel advisories, trade restrictions and border closures. Spokesman Gregory Hartl said a decision would not be made Saturday.

But experts at the WHO and the CDC say the nature of this outbreak may make containment impossible. Already, more than 1,000 people have been infected in as many as 14 of Mexico’s 32 states, according to daily newspaper El Universal. Tests show 20 people have died of the swine flu, and 48 other deaths were probably due to the same strain.

This is exactly what we've been fearing all along. This flu seems to have been spread from birds to pigs to humans. Most of those that are dead are young adults. This is usually the hallmark of a true pandemic. It easily spreads from person to person. It appears to be responding to Tamiflu, for now.

Meh, there was a huge fuss about Bird Flu and nothing happened there. I ain't scared.

Meh, there was a huge fuss about Bird Flu and nothing happened there. I ain't scared.

This basically IS the bird flu. The reason "nothing happened there" was because Bird Flu never gained the ability to be transmissible between humans and other humans. It was only transmissible from birds to humans. Thus, infection rates were very low. Exactly as was predicted by many epidemiologists, a similar flu has spread from birds to pigs, and to humans. In the process, it gained the ability to be transmissible between humans. This is exactly what we were afraid was going to happen with Bird Flu. It is happening right now.

If this has the same lethality as Bird Flu, we have a lot of reason to be worried. A pandemic with the transmission of common flu but the lethality of Bird Flu or Spanish Influenza may mean the death of millions of people world-wide. It could be a catastrophe.

We just have to hope that it isn't so lethal, and that the authorities can contain it in time.

EDIT: The disease has just been reported in New York City. It really is a pandemic. It's likely that people who didn't know they had symptoms have been traveling by air for weeks. We should start seeing it in major population centers around the world now. This is very, very bad news.

EDIT 2: The disease has been spotted in Kansas and Nebraska

I've got a sore throat and a cough, but I think it's just a cold. No flu symptoms. I'm a hypochondriac and now I'm scared. Thanks a lot, theotherguy :(

I've had a sore throat for a few weeks. today I noticed my eyes are itchy and watery. Sneezed earlier. My sinuses are bothering me. I feel a little worn down, but mostly I feel fine. I don't know if it is just allergies due to the season. I never knew I had allergies.

I got an allergen blocker pillow yesterday. Sleeping on that last night, I'm not sure if it helped or not.

I've had a sore throat for a few weeks. today I noticed my eyes are itchy and watery. Sneezed earlier. My sinuses are bothering me. I feel a little worn down, but mostly I feel fine. I don't know if it is just allergies due to the season. I never knew I had allergies.

I got an allergen blocker pillow yesterday. Sleeping on that last night, I'm not sure if it helped or not.

same here but look up and see the chemtrails and realize that all those chemicals are killing all the bacteria in your throat and lungs...just a guess. I'm going to do what I normally do, sneeze into my arm if I need to, wash my hands regularly, be mindful not to touch my face, drink hot tea everyday with OJ, and get plenty of sleep. Also consider this: the more defenses you have the better your chances of survival. Stop cleaning out your ear with Q tips, that buildup is natural and protects you from disease and problems. the less ear wax the more danger you put yourself in despite the popular opinion to keep your ears wax free.

Also I wonder if this is because the recent outbreak of violence in Mexico and just another way to quell the anti government people in Mexico. And if not and this is for real, millions will possibly die if the flu evolves.

I've got a sore throat and a cough, but I think it's just a cold. No flu symptoms. I'm a hypochondriac and now I'm scared. Thanks a lot, theotherguy :(

People need to stop getting colds and flus mixed up.

Colds make you sneeze. Flus make you puke or have rancid diarrhea.

same here but look up and see the chemtrails and realize that all those chemicals are killing all the bacteria in your throat and lungs...

Chemtrails? EH? Look up?

Also I wonder if this is because the recent outbreak of violence in Mexico and just another way to quell the anti government people in Mexico.
So Mexico developed a new strain of virus to kill off their people?

Lets go to Madagascar! Shit their ports are probably already closed.

People need to stop getting colds and flus mixed up.

Colds make you sneeze. Flus make you puke or have rancid diarrhea.

Flus have a wide range of symptoms, including sore throat, coughing and fever.

They've developed a new virus to kill off their people in the past?!

(I might just be giving you a hard time)

Well, I work at a library packed full of fat, stupid, unclean people... so this is good for me..

Warped said:
does it look like i care?? (actually you can't see me smiling)

(parenthesis are awesome)

zombieturtle01 said:
Well, I work at a library packed full of fat, stupid, unclean people... so this is good for me..
Every time I get some movies or music from the library, it's all covered in sticky residue. Just completely drenched in plague. I clean everything when I get home.

Indeed, library patrons are some of the worst people. Ever.
They make a mess, they complain, they stink, they break things, they complain some more, and they don't pay a cent for anything.

And now they will kill me with their plague.

I suspect that even if this develops into a worldwide pandemic that kills millions of people, then those people are unlikely to be the ones living in first world countries. The worst effects will probably be caused by panic.

I suspect that even if this develops into a worldwide pandemic that kills millions of people, then those people are unlikely to be the ones living in first world countries. The worst effects will probably be caused by panic.

its more than twofold though. today you have people that are more aware and we have a faster response time than lets say the 1918 Pandemic. but you also have people that would probably flip out and try and effect as many people as they could. then you'd have the people shot for supplies or just extreme stress. there are just so many variables.

It is because you have all sinned and God hates the sodomites, this is punishment for your piggish homosexual acts against the Lord.

You will all burn in hell and God hates you!

its more than twofold though. today you have people that are more aware and we have a faster response time than lets say the 1918 Pandemic. but you also have people that would probably flip out and try and effect as many people as they could. then you'd have the people shot for supplies or just extreme stress. there are just so many variables.

Most of that is exactly what I was saying. People panic and do stupid things. I'm sure a few people would try to infect others, but I don't think they'd really achieve that much unless the infected tried to do the same. Of course if one of those turns into a tank or a boomer, then we're probably screwed.

Back