Team Fortress 2 Updates Coming To Xbox 360 Later This Year, Gonna Cost You

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
Looks like 360 gamers will finally get their Team Fortress 2 updated, that means new, class-specific Achievements, new unlockable weapons for the Pyro, Medic and Heavy, new gameplay modes and new maps, all on your Xbox 360. The down side is Valve being forced to charge for the update.

Valve marketing director Doug Lombardi got that piece of business out of the way just before our latest Left 4 Dead demo, saying that the developer wanted to build up a massive update for Xbox 360 users before delivering. Given that Valve is being forced to charge for the update, they wanted to ensure that 360 owners were getting their money's worth.

I'm sure it's gonna worth it. Oh and still no word on the PS3 version.[br]

Kotaku

well looks like xbox fans can finally get there updates......

$50-$20

Well, atleast they can get their updates now... to bad it's gunna cost em :\

(THINKING OUT LOUD) That's what you get for being a console gamer.

i hate microsoft... it's just an UPDATE. TO MAKE THE GAME CLEANER AND BETTER. why make people pay for it?!!? >:-(

The funny thing is... this update improves TF2 significantly, and they are charging for it. If Burnout: Paradise can add an incredible update to it for free, why is this one being charged for?

There might be more to this story than what's been written.

Let's assume that Valve while having to charge for the update makes no money. It really makes sense. So that means the money charged is directly for Microsoft. This is so they can make more money and/or cover the costs involved with shipping a pretty hefty sized update over their network.

I don't have an XBox and don't care to follow it much, but to connect to xbox live do you need to pay already? Because if you do you deserve to be upset about this. It's just plain and simple price gouging in that case.

It's all about $$$ to Microsoft, and bringing the best gaming experience to as many people as possible to Valve. The two have bipolar philosophies.

The main reason for cost is bandwidth; Live architecture isn't really about free bandwidth and it's used for a lot of other things too than just game updates.

I'd estimate the update will cost something between 800 and 2100 Microsoft points. That'd be from 11,40€ to about 30€ at least here in Finland.

Ninja edit: I hope all the "Meet the..." videos will get put on XBMP too.

The funny thing is... this update improves TF2 significantly, and they are charging for it. If Burnout: Paradise can add an incredible update to it for free, why is this one being charged for?

game updates and extra content to improve the game is different.

The main reason for cost is bandwidth; Live architecture isn't really about free bandwidth and it's used for a lot of other things too than just game updates.

I'd estimate the update will cost something between 800 and 2100 Microsoft points. That'd be from 11,40? to about 30? at least here in Finland.

Ninja edit: I hope all the "Meet the..." videos will get put on XBMP too.

I don't think it will be 2100 points. I've never seen anything cost that much on the marketplace. somewhere between 800-1500 is more likely.

I don't think it will be 2100 points. I've never seen anything cost that much on the marketplace. somewhere between 800-1500 is more likely.

I'm willing to say it could be that much because Valve's content patches take a LOT of bandwidth by nature.

Also Microsoft and Valve don't hate each other, remember that Valve practically branched out from MS and was originally funded by wealth Gabe + and those two others had gotten while working at MS. Just because they don't agree with the capitalistic side of things doesn't mean they'd hate each other.

Bandwidth costs....sure. Bandwidth is cheap the costly shit is using under sea cable. MS have already set up shop in all major areas of the world so that isn't a problem for them. MS content servers are distributed in much the same way as Valve's are except only MS run them. I'm sure many an ISP would jump on the chance to run their own Live gateway boxen to cut down on traffic leaving their network.

It costs nothing to send something from point A to point B. However someone has to run the machines (live subscription pays for this) and someone has to pay for CAPACITY on the big cables (again already covered). Why are Xbox people being charged again?

Map packs for Halo and CoD have cost the same with less content, so it shouldnt come as a surprise.

so, there will be servers for people with updates who will enjoy no exploiters and new stuff.
and non updated servers for those who realize that PC is the best or can't pay for the update?
each way pc is better

game updates and extra content to improve the game is different.

Your point? Both are getting/got extra content to improve the game. Yet one is free and the other isn't! D:

Conspiracy! D:

If this update comes to the PSN, and I don't have to pay, I'll laugh at you bitches.

and I'll laugh at you for playing TF2 on PS3.

Who cares, I'm willing to pay for the updates.

But if Bungie can release a few free maps, why cant a legendary developer like Valve do the same?

Because they have very little to do with Microsoft whereas Bungie's games have been published by Microsoft.

(THINKING OUT LOUD) That's what you get for being a console gamer.

...douchebag, quit dissing on console owners, consoles are not that bad, Im not a fanboy or anything, but, I prefer 360 to PC(mostly because my friends have 360s).

...and F YEAH!!!! PYRO UPDATE!!!

Haha, you bitches have to pay.

Some people, such as myself, don't mind paying for geniune hard work that developers have poured their time and effort into. Don't take it for granted - think about what they've done and respect their work.

I won't be getting it as I don't play TF2, but I really don't mind paying for content as I don't expect something like this to be free. They give it away to some folk away for free sure, but in my eyes I much prefer to buy the content.

Some people, such as myself, don't mind paying for geniune hard work that developers have poured their time and effort into. Don't take it for granted - think about what they've done and respect their work.

That's honorable and all, but the dev's DON'T WANT YOUR MONEY! They actually want to just give this to people for being loyal customers. They want people to know that when they buy a valve product that they are getting something that should last longer than 10 hours of gameplay. So console owners should do the right thing, and steal.

No, I know what you're saying and honestly I've no problem with people having something for free or people like Gabe saying yes, have it for free, but I myself prefer to pay for content. It's just it seems some people get really arsey and uptight about others having to pay and it nags me somewhat.

If I played TF2 (I find it incredibly dull but still) I'd buy it straight away because I know from reading updates and all the new videos released that it's one hell of a content package.

I just can't help but laugh, I mean, we got all this stuff for free and you guys have to pay for something that should've been the same.
I'm not going to call Valve out, or point out that the money you buy it with isn't going to Valve (it's going to microsoft, who didn't have shit to do with making the updates), but damn you've just got to laugh at this, especially if you've been forseeing this for what seems like years.

ITT: Assholes laugh at people who bought a different version of the game than them.

Is this why we aren't getting the updates on the PS3, because Sony would NOT make valve charge for it? Seems pretty fishy to me.

^No, EA made the PS3 version.

Also,

MS is going to hell. Seriously, I expect that they are the only ones who will make money, because Valve still wants it at a reasonable price. They don't even DESERVE the money, they already get payments for Live itself, which sucks. I have very sad feelings for the people who were tricked into getting the 360 version.

and I'll laugh at you for playing TF2 on PS3.

Last time I heard all Source games were unplayable (at times) on PS3.

Also, where's Home?

But you heard wrong.

I've played the entire Orange Box on the PS3, and have only encountered a few bugs in Half Life 2, where the world dissapears and I am faced only with the sky box.

Team Fortress 2 is fun. I have no problems with it. Maybe you should not start 'hearing' things and actually play it to find out the facts, before you chat crap.

Take care.

You're under the impression Valve are getting that money aren't you? I can bet you they aren't. If you want to support a developer buy their games and merchandice but please for gods sake don't think you're helping by paying MS for a update.

ITT: Assholes laugh at people who bought a different version of the game than them.
Meh, I seem to be getting that a lot lately
But you heard wrong.

I've played the entire Orange Box on the PS3, and have only encountered a few bugs in Half Life 2, where the world dissapears and I am faced only with the sky box.

Team Fortress 2 is fun. I have no problems with it. Maybe you should not start 'hearing' things and actually play it to find out the facts, before you chat crap.

Take care.

I have played TF2 on PS3 and couldn't stand playing anything but spy or engineer, because the controls were so goofy

Back