The CoD:MW2 MEGA Thread

work was hectic but we sold roughly 100+ copies. there were tons of the xbox consoles left too for both game and the COD limited edition system. I'm doing my install now and about to play co-op story like in 5 mins, will be up all night too cuz my friend bought me coffee too

Apparently the supermarkets are selling it a massive loss but w/e, fuk the major retailers and their 60+ euro bs. Apparently Tesco are the cheapest along with Harvey Normans in IRL.

Btw any word on which console is superior? Presuming 360.

Hey, we have Harvey Normans in New Zealand.

I have heard that the PC can only allow up to 18 players at once. What is the limit for the consoles?

Its 9v9 on all versions...quite pathetic really. IW are adamant that its still as good, they dont want us tinkering with their 'balancing' in MP, which is why theres no console commands etc to change weapon damage, kicking players, yada yada.

Hmm, looks like the singleplayer is a bit flat. Poor connections across the campaign means, like in the first game, you had no idea what was going on.

Getting 8/10 for the presentation when everything else is a 9/9.5 is quite a standout.

And no sniper mission??? Fail.

[edit] Mine's been shipped from Amazon and arrived this morning, but the price is lower on Amazon (uk) now so Im sure I'll be recieving an email in the next few hours from Amazon stating that the reduction in price will result in them giving me the difference back on my card. Had the same thing happen when I pre-ordered Fifa 10 and Batman Arkham Asylum.

Its only a few quid drop, but fair play to Amazon for giving me the money back each time.

No one cares about you, you stupid dog. And interesting things do happen! We had a terrorist attack by French operatives!

I care.

Also, picked up MW2 like two hours ago. Man, the campaign alone has been pretty awesome. Haven't tried SpecOps out yet and I played a few multiplayer matches, but hearing about rank resets just makes me want to wait until a little later.

We had around 200 people in line for the game. I was lucky number 43.

Edit: MW2 is more difficult that COD4, imo. I'm trying to play through the campaign casually on normal difficulty and i'm getting my ass shot up. D;

Edit Edit: Just redeemed my original CoD game code. Can't wait for this. :D

I love this game! played about 2½ hrs of single player last night and the voice work, sound effects, action and tasks are very awesome! I'll probably start playing in a few hours but i need some more sleep

Yes I'm just angry that I trusted Steam. I buy games from Steam and I figured I could trust Valve again. So I know better now when I see people playing the game and meanwhile I can't because I didn't spend my $60 in the right place. :angry: How silly of me thinking I could play it on release day instead of 2 days later! *Gametrailers review: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-modern-warfare/58370

It's not Valve's decision when to release another company's games on Steam. Pick another target.

Hmm, the way I suspect this works, is that Activision must pay Valve part of the profit for each game sold, therefore Activision pulled this stunt to get people to buy it on the stores, so Activision (and company) get the full cut.

Or something like that.

Maybe.

You think stores don't take a cut?
/facepalm

Last I heard Steam is ultimately cheaper than retail. I'm sure gamestop and other retailers probably offered a better percentage to Activision in return for the delay on steam.

Last I heard Steam is ultimately cheaper than retail. I'm sure gamestop and other retailers probably offered a better percentage to Activision in return for the delay on steam.

Not the case in Europe or the UK. You'd be silly to pay the high Steam prices when you can get it much cheaper from a physical store.

Sainsbury's are apparently selling it for £26 (console versions) while stocks last.

New the £55-59 price tag wouldnt stick.

My copy just arrived from play.com and I am about to play it. Must admit I am a bit pissed off that the supermarket prices weren't announced sooner so that I could have cancelled my order and got it for £26 :flame:

Also, strangely, I know this is way bigger than halo 3 or gta 4 but when they came out I couldn't find them in shops but every shop I've been in has LOADS of copies of MW2 (even 2 prestige ones >_>) is it cos everyone has bought it from asda or cos there is just that many copies to meet demand?

Also, strangely, I know this is way bigger than halo 3 or gta 4

Is it really bigger than GTA4 though? I remember the hype for that occurred a lot longer than for MW2...I may be wrong.

Interesting to hear what you guys have to say. The average reader review is 1.3 LOL!!

Link.

I don't care. I will rent it for PS3 and play through the single-player and take it back. First was perfect for that. Great experience like a gripping movie, but ultimately not worth $60 for SP alone (which is all I care about).

Is it really bigger than GTA4 though? I remember the hype for that occurred a lot longer than for MW2...I may be wrong.

Im not sure who reported it (i.e. which store) but theyve recieved around 50% more pre-orders than they recieved for GTA4.

GTA4 made around $500 million (about £300 million) in its first week of release, and currently holds the title of most money recieved in first week of release.

IW are predicting £150 million from the UK alone, and atleast £300 million from the US.

This game could...literally make more money in its first week than most big-shot movies do in their first week.

Its being almost unanimously hailed as the single, biggest entertainment release ever. And yes, that includes movies, music, etc etc.

I watched a PC multiplayer stream last night on JTV

the lack of players on some maps, as anticipated, is a huge problem
the guy spent waaaay too much time running around searching for enemies, causing him to complain about it over the mic

also, there were quite a few "matches" where latency was a big issue as well; although hopefully that will be fixed once more people start playing the game

other than that it looked quite fun, much like the first

The IGN Video Review for the PC version isn't even about the PC Version. Most of the footage is from the Xbox 360 version. I find it insulting to PC Gamers when the reviewer goes as far to say that the multiplayer mode is the most important aspect of the game and doesn't even address the biggest problems. IGN= FAIL

Got my copy for 37.77 in Harvey Normans. Pleased with that price. Up to the favella mission so far. Mission layouts are alot bigger now thankfully giving you some scope on how to approach each objective.

So far, so COD. I could do without the Dick Cheny quotes though :|

I love reader reviews. Less biased than those of "professional" reviewers.

I remember when the original COD came out...I didn't even realize it until a few days before release. Never figured it would spawn so many games.

You think stores don't take a cut?
/facepalm
No, stores do not take a cut in America. Stores buy a product in quantity at a low price, and mark it up to whatever they wish, usually somewhere around the suggested retail price. Stores like Wal-Mart buy in outrageously massive quantities, then distribute it to their various stores throughout America. The more a retailer buys, the less they pay for it, so the larger the profit margin. This is why it's pretty much impossible for a 'Mom & Pop' store to compete with major retailers like Wal-Mart.

Maybe that's what you meant, for stores to buy (from Activision) in quantity, at a low price, is similar to Valve/Steam taking a percentage of sales? Well then I guess you're essentially right. Good point. So then, never mind what I said in the original post.

The BBC pretty much sum up the scale of the release with some past facts:

The widely-anticipated video game Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 has been tipped to be the biggest selling video game in history.

Hundreds of gamers gathered at shops around the world ahead of its release at 00:00 GMT.

Retailer HMV has predicted more than 1m UK sales in the first week, 20% more than previous record holder Grand Theft Auto 4 (GTA4).

Online shop Amazon said the pre-order sales were 50% higher than GTA4.

Play.com say that in the run up to launch it was getting more than 150 pre-orders per minute.

The publishers of Modern Warfare 2, Activision, are cautiously predicting total sales of 3m across the UK whilst some analysts believe it could sell 10m copies globally in the run up to Christmas.

HMV stores in the UK opened at midnight to allow eager gamers to get their hands on the game as soon as possible.
crowds at Modern Warfare launch in London
Some gamers compared the London launch to a film premiere.

"We estimate that the game will exceed 1m UK sales in its first week, which would be a new record," said HMV spokesperson Gennaro Castaldo.

The firm also confirmed that its stock of the collectors edition, Modern Warfare 2: Prestige, sold out online pre-release.

"Because people haven't been able to play the game beforehand, it's really built their anticipation," said Neil Ashurst from retailer Game.

"I wonder how many people have taken the day off work today to play it."

Some people had managed to get their hands on the game early after shops broke the sales embargo.

Facebook group

Robert Kotick, CEO of Activision, described it as "one of the largest entertainment launches of any media of all time".

Analysts believe the game could sell as many as 5m units globally on its first day.

It is the sixth instalment in the Call of Duty series and gives players the chance to be a member of a military strike force that takes on a Russian ultra-nationalist terrorist group.

We're already seeing it bully other name-brand competitors into pushing their release dates back rather than risk going head-to-head in the same launch window

Scott Steinberg
Digital trends

Send us your comments

It sees the combat team travelling to Russia, Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Brazil and into orbit, in an attempt to thwart the terrorists.

The game has drawn criticism because one section, prefaced by a warning screen, involves a player joining a massacre of civilians at an airport.

Labour MP Keith Vaz condemned the game saying he was "absolutely shocked" by its violence.

In response, publisher Activision said the scene was "not representative of overall experience".

Meanwhile, Labour MP Tom Watson has set up a Facebook group to defend games such as Call of Duty from their critics.

Price war

The first Modern Warfare debuted in 2007 and sold more than 12 million copies. The game won praise for its uncompromising story line and attention to detail.

Versions for the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC have gone on sale.

Screenshot from Call of Duty,Activision

MPs row over Modern Warfare

In the UK, a launch event was held at a cinema in London's Leicester Square, more usually the setting for film premieres.

Amazon said its pre-order sales for Modern Warfare 2 had been 50% higher than for Grand Theft Auto 4 - which until now had been the most successful release ever.

"We're already seeing it bully other name-brand competitors into pushing their release dates back rather than risk going head-to-head in the same launch window," said Scott Steinberg, of game and gadget website Digital Trends.

Since the Call of Duty franchise started in 2003, more than 28 million copies of the game's various incarnations have been sold.

In the UK, the console versions of the game are selling for about £54. The PC version is priced at about £35.

However, supermarkets and retailers have been advertising it a steep discount. Sainsbury's and Tesco are expected to offer it for about £26. Online stores have also cut the price of the title.

A limited edition of the game, called the Veteran Package, is also available for £99.

While many gamers eagerly awaited its release, fans of Modern Warfare have expressed disappointment that the PC version will lack some of the tools and tweaks available in earlier editions.

^ Unprecedented. I'll bet EA is kicking themselves for slouching on Medal of Honor all these years.

JESUS that Favella mission was so annoying on Hardened.

Do the bad guys keep respawning or have they fixed that?

Well, I just finished it and have to say...What a ****ing ride. People can say what they want about the CoD series but that was seriously intense. The game really picks up the pace around the half way mark as well. Well worth the money to me even without the multiplayer or the co-op spec-ops missions.

Also, a platform comparison shot, don't know how accurate this is:

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,699195/Mo..._id=219515&image_id=1220190&page=1&order=#top

I wish I hadn't got work today otherwise I'd be sitting home all day playing MP, shame. :(

Oh well guess next 3 days will have to suffice. :)

Also, a platform comparison shot, don't know how accurate this is:

http://www.pcgames.de/aid,699195/Mo..._id=219515&image_id=1220190&page=1&order=#top
Interesting. As expected, the PC version looks substantially better than the consoles when it comes to the jaggies, and the text on the road signs and flier dispenser. Nice contrast as well.

PS3 and 360 look very similar, but the PS3 looks a bit too washed out. Not enough color contrast, easily noticeable on the cars. They look almost identical though. I wonder about the frame rates and all that.

I watched a PC multiplayer stream last night on JTV

the lack of players on some maps, as anticipated, is a huge problem
the guy spent waaaay too much time running around searching for enemies, causing him to complain about it over the mic

also, there were quite a few "matches" where latency was a big issue as well; although hopefully that will be fixed once more people start playing the game

other than that it looked quite fun, much like the first

Haha, I noticed that too. Last night when I was playing, my whole team was running around in circles, because no one was used to the map. Also, we won by forfeit. Other team left. :(

i can't believe they made a COD: reflex version for the Wii. anyone have that version?? anyway I'm raking my yard of leaves and i'm halfway done. god damn is this grueling...i just want to play

Back