The Dead Ringer

Being a good heavy is harder than ever. Seems like every update does something to make it harder for him. Now, a heavy with a pocket Medic (or a good-team-player Medic), that's another story.

Heavy is great if you're mixing spirits, or preparing something else, while playing.

Nah, that's defensive Engineer.

Anyways, the Dead Ringer... It's definitely the most situational of the watches, and the most play-style changing. It's also strictly a pub weapon; I can't imagine any use for it in competition. Despite its weaknesses, though, when it shines, it's definitely the right tool for the job. I just had a really fun round of ctf_well that wouldn't have gone nearly so well without the Dead Ringer.

Spies aren't really used much in competition regardless.

I can't understand why anyone would want this over the cloak and dagger.

I've seen people use it really effectively. I guess mainly old TFC spy players who are used to feign death rather than cloaking everywhere.

The Dead Ringer works well but it's still as piss weak as ever against Pyro's, honestly, it doesn't help that everyone is a panzy with Pyro's and fires at anything that moves. Personally i think that if you used it to escape a Pyro, you shouldn't be able to be relit for like 3 seconds or so, enough time for that fire demon to stop randomly swinging his aim around hoping for a kill.

From what I recall (I rarely ever use it) if your on fire and you use the dead ringer it puts the fire out.

so you wait for you to be ignited then when your on fire use the dead ringer, the fire will trigger it, extinguishing you. Immediately side step and the pyro will run past you.

Problem is people use the dead ringer immediately in the middle of the pyros blast igniting themselves.

DR still sucks though. It doesn't fool good players.

I have played TF2 enough to know when the spy didn't "die" right. The ragdoll acts funny, death animation plays too quickly, a little too much push to the body, ect ect.

I can't understand why anyone would want this over the cloak and dagger.

I have been testing Cloak and Dagger for days and have concluded that I find regular and Dead Ringer much better.

Dead Ringer
better than Cloak and Dagger
29yqbso.jpg

I like Darkside, it's just funny. I suppose everyone has their favorite, and personally i can't stand the CaD, it's just too slow paced for me. I AM a sneaky bastard, but i prefer to be a little more up front, and it's always nice to have a second chance.

Darkside you're such a lazy porter.
Fishy Crackers said:
CaD is slow paced
Sometimes, I'll use the cloak and dagger to slip stealthily into the enemy base, finding some hard-to-access vantage point or standing right in a high traffic area but placed at the perfect angle so that no one will bump into me, and I'll watch.

I won't move. I won't sap. I won't attack. I'll just watch.

For the entire round.

Spammy chancers...tisk. Back on topic or this gets closed. (note you are both 1 infraction away from a ban now)

CnD is powerful. Most people when trying to kill a spy will wave their weapon around trying to find you, assuming you cloaked and ran off. They never seem to figure out your in the exact same spot where you cloaked.

Or you wait until a juicy target runs past you (like a heavy) then go in for the back stab.

These days I only grief regular maps or play arena. And CnD is balls useless in Arena. Alright--maybe it does give enable the spy to do some reliable VIP killing, but really... you can't dominate as spy with CnD. It just involves too much waiting. But that raises a question--can you dominate in arena as spy (we're assuming high-to-pro level of competance here) at all? I don't know enough about the pro leagues. Dark Heart what sayeth thou? In my experience on good teams, something around 75% of all playtime involves some sort of spychecking. Especially during firefights (Medic: DUMMKOPF WHY ARE YOU SPINNING AROUND ZE ENEMY IS IN FRONT) because good spies stab while you're distracted.

Having said that, if you and a friend are on opposite arena teams, both with CnD, and you're both last alive, it is absolutely fantastic at emptying a server and eliciting all sorts of colourful language while you both pretend not to find each other. So props for that.

I never considered arena to be a true TF2 game type.

Seems all semblance of teamwork disappears and the whole "team work" mechanic breaks down without a clear objective other than kill everyone else.

Spy sucks in arena CnD or not. The fact that there is really no defined front line means that the spy cant get "behind the lines" which is where the spys do the most damage.

I honestly play Spy almost all the time, and on the current topic, the Dead Ringer is amazingly useful for Arena, coupled with the Ambassador. Sometimes i'll just start the round heading to the highest middle point there is disguised as a Sniper with the Dead Ringer, and just sit there headshotting Snipers. I love you Dead Ringer...

Sometimes, I'll use the cloak and dagger to slip stealthily into the enemy base, finding some hard-to-access vantage point or standing right in a high traffic area but placed at the perfect angle so that no one will bump into me, and I'll watch.

I won't move. I won't sap. I won't attack. I'll just watch.

For the entire round.

I bet you're the same guy who kills NPC's in Morrowind and takes thier clothes and just live like them for weeks and weeks aren't you.

Back