The Official "Oh God Something is Broken" Thread

Does anyone else keep getting logged out? I've checked "Remember Me", have no cleared my cache or cookies, but I still get logged out from the forums sometimes. I'm using Google Chrome.

Yeah I haven't experienced that one, either. You using an older version, ray_MAN?

Does anyone else keep getting logged out? I've checked "Remember Me", have no cleared my cache or cookies, but I still get logged out from the forums sometimes. I'm using Google Chrome.
There's one possible cause. Have you associated your forum account with Facebook?

If so, logging out of Facebook will also log you out of the forums, and vice versa.

Random problem that I can't reproduce but has happened a couple times:

Sometimes I can't type anything into the quick reply box. I click in the text field but don't get a flashing line for typing and typing doesn't do anything. I have to click Reply on one of the posts in the thread in order to get it working so I can type in it.

I was holding off posting about this because I thought it might be temporary, or just a result of my third world internet (which honestly isn't a problem with most any other site), but I'm convinced it's actually getting worse lately, to the point of frustration. The forums have frequently been taking way too long to load certain threads, if not straight up refusing to load them after several attempts, and spitting out an error when I try to post. Lately I've been getting this absurdly often, sometimes 5+ times before the post goes through:

SCvJm.png

Also like half the time I try to bring up the insert image or video thing in the reply box, it fails to load and won't let me exit back out. The only way to resolve this is to refresh the page, which often loses my post. You can see how that might be a little bit maddening sometimes.

Anyone else experiencing any of this?

I was holding off posting about this because I thought it might be temporary, or just a result of my third world internet (which honestly isn't a problem with most any other site), but I'm convinced it's actually getting worse lately, to the point of frustration. The forums have frequently been taking way too long to load certain threads, if not straight up refusing to load them after several attempts, and spitting out an error when I try to post. Lately I've been getting this absurdly often, sometimes 5+ times before the post goes through:

SCvJm.png

Also like half the time I try to bring up the insert image or video thing in the reply box, it fails to load and won't let me exit back out. The only way to resolve this is to refresh the page, which often loses my post. You can see how that might be a little bit maddening sometimes.

Anyone else experiencing any of this?
Your internets is broken!

Hmm, this is concerning.

We have had some problems recently with the new server, but nothing that should be as continuous as these are. I'm sure StarMonkey will have some feedback with regards to why this might be happening. In the meantime, could you let us know your browser and version, OS version, shoe size and hair colour?

Chrome, whatever the latest non-beta version is, Windows 7, 11, dark brown.

Never seen that error before, even when the site was being slow/unresponsive.

Random problem that I can't reproduce but has happened a couple times:

Sometimes I can't type anything into the quick reply box. I click in the text field but don't get a flashing line for typing and typing doesn't do anything. I have to click Reply on one of the posts in the thread in order to get it working so I can type in it.

If you are reediting a edited post, you have to refresh a page before you can type in the edit field

IMG tags don't seem to work for me. Whenever I paste a link into the IMG wrap, the text appears greyed out and the image doesn't show up

If you are reediting a edited post, you have to refresh a page before you can type in the edit field

IMG tags don't seem to work for me. Whenever I paste a link into the IMG wrap, the text appears greyed out and the image doesn't show up

This is because it automatically parses it as a URL.

Easiest thing to do is either

1) switch to BB Code editor and do your [img tags like that
2) even easier: just use the insert image button in the editor, paste your link and then click insert

This isn't what's causing it for me. It'll happen on a thread that I've opened fresh in a new tab.

Last night I had to refresh the page 3 times before it unlocked.

The number of social media/sharing buttons under each post is distracting. All that colour draws the eyes to it. Would it be possible to have them greyed out and even more darkened till you mouse over them? Also, the stumbleupon button is very rough.

The number of social media/sharing buttons under each post is distracting. All that colour draws the eyes to it. Would it be possible to have them greyed out and even more darkened till you mouse over them? Also, the stumbleupon button is very rough.
Is that a bit better? I've reduced it down to 25% opacity.

Would it be possible to make them greyscaled(er) until mouseover? I agree with Riom, it's quite a lot of colour on an otherwise quite uniform forum. Also maybe remove the stumbleupon and blogger links? Don't seem like they'd get that much use - plus there's the dropdown if you actually want to use them

Am I blind or what? I don't see what social media buttons you guys are talking about. Just the ones at the bottom of the page.

I'd like to see something like this, but with the grayscale fade KA mentioned:

k9kiI.png

Where the **** have the post ratings gone? :eek:

EDIT: Fixed.

I will play around with this some more.

Hey I didn't give you permission to use my post as your damn mockup!

And yeah, I do not nor have I ever seen those buttons. Weird. Must be adblocked for some reason.

Hey I didn't give you permission to use my post as your damn mockup!

And yeah, I do not nor have I ever seen those buttons. Weird. Must be adblocked for some reason.
Your favourite Half-Life 2 Valve community and you use ADBLOCK?

How very rude. I'm incredibly disappointed in you, Vegeta897. No wonder we can't afford the server if one of our only visitors uses ad block.

:(

Is that a bit better? I've reduced it down to 25% opacity.
To be honest, it's not the brightness, it's the large number of different colours compared to an otherwise monochrome post box. Currently the thumbs up and thumbs down completely disappear until you mouse-over the post box. You could do that for the buttons too, or if you can grey them out.

To be honest, it's not the brightness, it's the large number of different colours compared to an otherwise monochrome post box. Currently the thumbs up and thumbs down completely disappear until you mouse-over the post box. You could do that for the buttons too, or if you can grey them out.
Ok. Hopefully this is an improvement.

Let me know what you think.

You do realise you entirely removed them? I mean, I figured they wouldn't get much use, but I didn't expect you to actually take them out.

Look again. The Share hover button expands out to everything. This is perfect.

EDIT: Holy shitballs are there ever a lot of ways to share something on the Internet.
EDIT EDIT: You probably need to refresh since your new post is appended to the DOM without the Share button (Bug?)

Look again. The Share hover button expands out to everything. This is perfect.

EDIT: Holy shitballs are there ever a lot of ways to share something on the Internet.
Exactly right MuToiD_MaN.

It's also smart enough to know which sharing service you use regularly. So if you happen to use one of the hundreds of obscure ones then it'll be right there.

Okay, there appears to be something afoot. I just came back to this page and all the Share buttons were gone. Perhaps their loading timed out this time around and that's what ríomhaire saw.

Okay, there appears to be something afoot. I just came back to this page and all the Share buttons were gone. Perhaps their loading timed out this time around and that's what ríomhaire saw.
I've not seen this happen yet, maybe we are just loading too much on each page. I mean, the Steam Profile things take a while to load, especially on a full 40 post thread.

It is routinely not showing up for me, actually. I'll poke around in the code today if I have some spare time.

I think tagging people with spaces in their names causes this:

jfARj.png

So, uh... What the hell is this?

Appearing at the top of all VT pages. Using Chrome. INB4 Krynn.

24129743.jpg

Aww man, I can't believe you broke it Stylo.

Go to your room.

But before you do, check again and tell me it's fixed.

/me has fixed it

I'm not one to harp on something with as little value as the forum trophies, but I thought I'd report this anyway because something seems amiss. Just received the "like" that caused this:

Ey69mUe.jpg

Perhaps only the likes that occur in subfora where posts count ... count?

Fixed.

As odd as it may sound, the forum lost count.

I rebuilt the totals and it has sorted itself out.

Hooray! Fitting that it was your own "like" that triggered this.

Back