The Official "Oh God Something is Broken" Thread

Vegeta's looks great! Mine looks ... [edit] like I need to get to work.

*fires up Mame*

Attachments

• remove_formatting.PNG
    remove_formatting.PNG
    697 bytes · Views: 407
Way to break page two, Yorick ;) I'm posting this message blind because I expect I can't actually view it.

Way to break page two, Yorick ;) I'm posting this message blind because I expect I can't actually view it.

Man, we had an addon that made it so @UserName tagged someone like you'd see on Twitter, and all hell broke loose when Chris actually tried to use it.

Stupid me. Trying to use an addon.

:rolleyes:

What I tried to say was:

The WYSIWYG editor is really quite annoying, if not only for that reason. Pasting text copied from another site carries its size, font, color etc. and this is just pointless and troublesome.
Turning off the advanced editor in your settings turns off WYSIWYG but you also lose all controls. The way hl2.net did it was fine. In most cases, you don't really need to see a live preview of your post. It's not hard to see that you've bolded some text with tags. If you really need to see a preview, you just click 'more options'.

Vegeta897 there's a "remove formatting" button in the editor. After you've pasted in some offending content highlight it and click this button.
remove_formatting.PNG

Also, if you use Chrome you can right click and "Paste as Plain Text".

This is what happens when we accidentally use outdated addons.

But it should be fine now. Am I right, Chris_D?

Posting to make sure my avatar works. Also I like the bigger jump to new post button.

And it's broken.

Most of the bugs have been worked out of the system now. Chris and I will be hopefully finishing up the last few tomorrow. I'll probably let it sit for the weekend in case anything else comes up, that needs to be fixed, and then on Monday I'll add in the Fluid Width option, and start working on new skins, so expect a thread on those soon.

The remaining things to be done tomorrow are: Seeing if we can do the What's New the way Vegeta likes, fixing the Cutoffs on the Forum Home, Thumbnails not being clickable in the Articles/News Forums, and finally a large number of people not caring for the New/No New Post images / Logo, but that one will take longer than tomorrow to hammer out.

You mean there are people that willingly DON'T use Chrome? :|

I'm as shocked and appalled by that as you are.

Another thing I really don't like is that the What's New? feature does not show threads that you have already read (or have the last post in)
HL2.net's style was much better where it literally just showed a list of the last threads posted in whether I had read them or not. It's a real pain to dig up a thread that I just posted in or that I just read and want to read again. I sincerely hope there's a way of changing this, because it's my main method of using the forum.

Vegeta897 I may have found something out for this that does sort of what you want? Let me know.

If you go to "What's New", there's a link there on the right that says "All Recent Messages" - is that more what you're looking for?

I think you'll agree we've been pretty good at responding to this stuff.

Yorick was an animal yesterday. He fixed almost everything single handedly

Yes I'm very happy with all the fixes. So much that I don't even mind the post ratings too much anymore. And this doesn't have to do with the fact that I have the most positive ratings on the forum (can we have a top rated members page?) ;)

OH FINE. THAT'S FINE.

COMPLAIN LIKE HELL ABOUT IT AND THEN AS SOON AS YOU'RE TOP DOG, IT'S OK.

/me flips Vegeta897

On another note, am I turning into Yorick?

OH FINE. THAT'S FINE.

COMPLAIN LIKE HELL ABOUT IT AND THEN AS SOON AS YOU'RE TOP DOG, IT'S OK.

/me flips Vegeta897

On another note, am I turning into Yorick?

Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy. LET THE HATE FLOW THROUGH YOU.

Looks like animated avatars are working to me.

Small new issue I found: The top-level forum routinely forgets which forum groups I've collapsed.

Also, can clicking on username/inbox/alerts be set to only open and collapse the menus? It's a weird inconsistency to have clicking outside the menu close it while mouseover opens it. And the menus already have links contained within them that direct you to the same page that clicking on the menu's title word does.

Found a small bug on the site.
I was reading the article on "The Episodic Problem" and there is a image in it that says "the True villain", now when I clicked that to see it bigger I see a load box but nothing else happens.

This is on firefox 10.0.2

Cheers mates

Found a small bug on the site.
I was reading the article on "The Episodic Problem" and there is a image in it that says "the True villain", now when I clicked that to see it bigger I see a load box but nothing else happens.

This is on firefox 10.0.2

Cheers mates

If you open it in a new window/tab it should work, I'm still trying to figure out what I've done that stops it from popping up properly.

Hi Yorick; I know I did that afterwards trying to open it a few times.

had to make a new account but oh well. thats my fault for forgetting yet another time to write my damn password down. Anyway if anyone remembers Warped, or Dandan well I'm both of those users so hi

had to make a new account but oh well. thats my fault for forgetting yet another time to write my damn password down. Anyway if anyone remembers Warped, or Dandan well I'm both of those users so hi

Why didn't you use the password request? Or ask an admin via Steam to set it manually?

Why didn't you use the password request? Or ask an admin via Steam to set it manually?
because I'm an idiot. lol. no really it doesn't bother me this name better suits me anyway

Threads with embedded pics are usually messed up in android browser on my phone.

Threads with embedded pics are usually messed up in android browser on my phone.

Messed up how? And what are you running for a browser? I had FishBulb check on Opera and she saw no problems. I tried on the default browser and the only problem that I saw were gifs not being animated.

Yeah screenshots will be incredibly useful with more details.

Pretty minor thing: The box with "recent threads" in it on the main page doesn't seem to actually show recent threads, but recent posts.

What I came here to post about is that gifs don't seem to work as avatars anymore.
I wondered this as well. I noticed Dog's avatar and a few others weren't animating. The first time I visited the new Valvetime.net, I thought something on my PC was broken that's entirely unrelated.

Oh, and a widescreen format as suggested by Deathmaster. Other than that, everything else seems good to go imho.

I wondered this as well. I noticed Dog's avatar and a few others weren't animating. The first time I visited the new Valvetime.net, I thought something on my PC was broken that's entirely unrelated.

Oh, and a widescreen format as suggested by Deathmaster. Other than that, everything else seems good to go imho.

Animated avatars should be working as of a couple days ago. And like I said, the Widescreen Option will be coming just after I iron out the remainder of the bugs!

Need to make a new avatar in the correct resolution, I expect.

The RSS-feed worked for a while but it seems to be broken again. Before it stopped working it also showed the most recent threads in the forum, which made it difficult to see which links that were actually news.

Back