The Official "Oh God Something is Broken" Thread

Y

Yorick

Good morning,

As we go forward with the ValveTime.net launch (somewhat behind schedule), it's possible that you see some glitches or mistakes on my part throughout today. I hope that these are at a minimum, but I am probably not that lucky.

Please use this thread to bring attention to things that I may have missed. Whenever possible, please use screenshots that you've taken of the problem, and please be sure to include what browser you are using, so that I may better replicate the error, and thus be more able to solve it, and quickly at that.

By our powers combined, we'll make this place livable yet!

I'm on Firefox - my username rollover-tab doesn't go away when I take my cursor off it. Also the login captchas never appeared, but they did on Chrome and then once I logged in on Chrome I was logged in on Firefox.

Also, shit looks good! I love this theme.

It seems like the RSS Feed doesn't work. I tried using the link located at the bottom of the page.

It seems like the RSS Feed doesn't work. I tried using the link located at the bottom of the page.
Yes, that's a bug. We'll look at that. Thank you.

I'm on Firefox - my username rollover-tab doesn't go away when I take my cursor off it. Also the login captchas never appeared, but they did on Chrome and then once I logged in on Chrome I was logged in on Firefox.

Also, shit looks good! I love this theme.
It's designed to go away when you click.

As for the login captchas? What do you mean? You won't see a captcha unless you're registering for the first time.

It's designed to go away when you click.

As for the login captchas? What do you mean? You won't see a captcha unless you're registering for the first time.
I had a login captcha Chris :). Logged in at the top , then directed to a Captcha page requiring Login & Captcha

I get a bit of unresponsiveness for a few seconds when I open loads of tabs at once. Guess it's the new software. Probably can't be fixed. I like how the like/dislike buttons don't show up unless you mouse over them. I thought Pi said you'd be disabling the bad spelling one.

I get a bit of unresponsiveness for a few seconds when I open loads of tabs at once. Guess it's the new software. Probably can't be fixed. I like how the like/dislike buttons don't show up unless you mouse over them. I thought Pi said you'd be disabling the bad spelling one.
We'll be changing a lot of things. If we waited until everything was final then we'd still be without a site for days yet. The unresponsiveness concerns me - we've tested it to be more responsive if anything but we will test further. What browser is it you're using?

/me waves at HotSoup

:D

I will look into this captcha issue.

Chrome. It's not new to me, just new on this site. I get it on plenty of other sites too. I'm using a netbook (is 12" considered a netbook?) after all.

I apologise to anyone if it takes me more than 15 seconds to fix a particular problem. I seem to have been struck down by the flu / strep throat / some kind of ****ing throat cancer, (which is part of why the relaunch took longer than expected) and I'm barely functional at the moment. I've taken tomorrow off from work, so I'm expecting to be laying around / fixing glitches all day.

My title seems a bit weird, so far that's all I've noticed though. I'm kind of liking this new layout, takes some getting used to however.

Took me a while to realise that the "conversations" thing was actually the PM service.

Also, an issue with certain members' infobox:
wiWTp.png

Yeah I just fixed that one, thanks.

Conversations being PMs, Messages being Posts, and Discussions being Threads is something that confuses me too, so I might change the Phrasing for those.

Is there a way to change the post count per page? It set me back to 15. I would like my 40 back, or 50 would be nice too. ;)

It looks like gif's don't work in sigs anymore.

Is there a way to change the post count per page? It set me back to 15. I would like my 40 back, or 50 would be nice too. ;)

It looks like gif's don't work in sigs anymore.

You shouldn't have images in signatures at all, it's against the rules. That it was okay before was an oversight, not intentional.

Unfortunately post count per page cannot be changed on an individual basis, but I do think we should scale it up a bit.

Unfortunately post count per page cannot be changed on an individual basis, but I do think we should scale it up a bit.
I guess this means there's also no option to change the order of posts? (Yes, I am a most recent post first person)

What I came here to post about is that gifs don't seem to work as avatars anymore.

I guess this means there's also no option to change the order of posts? (Yes, I am a most recent post first person)

Oh goodness, you might be the only one. :-/ I'll look into it, but I wouldn't get your hopes up. XenForo is still pretty new and they're actively trying to keep it from becoming a bloated mess like vBulletin was, so there are a lot of things we take for granted that haven't been put in yet.

(We did up the per page count to 40.)

What I came here to post about is that gifs don't seem to work as avatarsanymore.
I'll check it out!

I remember on some forum before (could have been this one) that if the forum have to resize the avatars they wouldn't animate anymore. Seeing as it displayed the avatars as 100x100 even if they're smaller than that I'd suggest attempting to upload a 100x100 version of your avatar.

Could use a widescreen version of the theme Everything scrunched up looks pretty bad with all the blank space on the sides.

You shouldn't have images in signatures at all, it's against the rules. That it was okay before was an oversight, not intentional.
Oops. I meant avatars, not sigs. Images never worked in sigs before anyways outside of the forum smilies.

I remember on some forum before (could have been this one) that if the forum have to resize the avatars they wouldn't animate anymore. Seeing as it displayed the avatars as 100x100 even if they're smaller than that I'd suggest attempting to upload a 100x100 version of your avatar.
If you're suggesting I re-author an 7-year-old MASTERPIECE for which I no longer have the uncropped source image with the original layers, let me just say ... MAYBE.

How about avatar transparency? It wouid be nice to have when there are other themes.

Not a major issue, but I noticed the subheadings on the forum homepage for Steam and Steam Games and Game Help and Support are cut off mid-sentence. I'm using Firefox if that helps.

Not a major issue, but I noticed the subheadings on the forum homepage for Steam and Steam Games and Game Help and Support are cut off mid-sentence. I'm using Firefox if that helps.
They continue onto the next line, which I think looks ok.

They continue onto the next line, which I think looks ok.

Maybe we're not talking about the same thing, it looks like this for me anyway
fF5V1.png

When I go into the forums themselves the full subheadings are there though (e.g. 'Discuss Steam and its many games not covered by our other forums').

Word filter is kinda broken:

**** (F*ck)
****ing
****ed
****er

**** (C*nt)
****y
****astic

Yeah it doesn't seem to automatically do derivatives like the old one did. It's on my list to fix, thanks!

I'm afraid that I still have to wash your mouth out for soap for saying those things, though.

The avatars displayed in threads are 96x96, but animation still doesn't work when I upload that size.

Could use a widescreen version of the theme Everything scrunched up looks pretty bad with all the blank space on the sides.
I'm going to be working on a widescreen css rule set when I have the time.

For my first contribution to this thread, the text in this reply box is way too light, it's hard on the eyes with the white background.

Yeah, an adjustable width would be ideal. It looks very narrow on 1080p.

For my first contribution to this thread, the text in this reply box is way too light, it's hard on the eyes with the white background.
The colour of the text in the reply box is the same as the colour of the text that appears in posts, simply because it's a WYSIWYG editor.

Though, I do agree.

The only solution would be to make the background colour of the quick reply box to match that of the messages - which is an option, but at the same time the quick reply needs to stand out so people can see it. We'll work something out.

The WYSIWYG editor is really quite annoying, if not only for that reason. Pasting text copied from another site carries its size, font, color etc. and this is just pointless and troublesome.
Turning off the advanced editor in your settings turns off WYSIWYG but you also lose all controls. The way hl2.net did it was fine. In most cases, you don't really need to see a live preview of your post. It's not hard to see that you've bolded some text with tags. If you really need to see a preview, you just click 'more options'.

Another thing I really don't like is that the What's New? feature does not show threads that you have already read (or have the last post in)
HL2.net's style was much better where it literally just showed a list of the last threads posted in whether I had read them or not. It's a real pain to dig up a thread that I just posted in or that I just read and want to read again. I sincerely hope there's a way of changing this, because it's my main method of using the forum.

Testing signature. There might be an issue. I say limit it to 2-3 lines max, or have the ability to turn off signatures, or hide them in something like a spoiler tag but a little more elegant.

Frankly, I don't care to read people's sigs when they are 4 times bigger than their average post.

Yet another thing that XenForo hasn't implemented yet. I'll either set the CSS for signatures to have a hard max height, or I'll just have to remove the ability to use them for people who abuse it.

i fixed your sig for you :D

The WYSIWYG editor is really quite annoying, if not only for that reason. Pasting text copied from another site carries its size, font, color etc. and this is just pointless and troublesome.
Turning off the advanced editor in your settings turns off WYSIWYG but you also lose all controls. The way hl2.net did it was fine. In most cases, you don't really need to see a live preview of your post. It's not hard to see that you've bolded some text with tags. If you really need to see a preview, you just click 'more options'.

I noticed that being a problem when we were doing the Articles last night, I'm definitely looking into it.

Another thing I really don't like is that the What's New? feature does not show threads that you have already read (or have the last post in)
HL2.net's style was much better where it literally just showed a list of the last threads posted in whether I had read them or not. It's a real pain to dig up a thread that I just posted in or that I just read and want to read again. I sincerely hope there's a way of changing this, because it's my main method of using the forum.

Well, if you've read a thread, or have the last post in it, then it's not exactly new anymore? I understand you want "daily" new threads, but that's not exactly the intent of this system. Still, I'll look into it.

Fixes implemented so far:

- Sometimes the BreadCrumbs listed "Home" twice.
- RSS Feed in the Footer should be working.
- The Bold/Normal Titles for Threads should be fixed.
- Poll Question Height is fixed.
- Signatures Limited to 100 pixels high.
- Top Dotted White Border on Signatures replaced with a Solid Dark Grey Border
- Avatars are now framed in Dark Grey, though I don't love that yet. It may take further tweaking.
- WYSIWYG now defaults to a darker font colour so that it's a bit easier to read.
- Swear Filter should be fixed.
- Posts per Page raised to 35 or 40 or something.
- In the News/Articles Comments, there's now a linebreak between the User's Name and their Message. The text under their message is also smaller.

More to come!

And I do believe I have a fix for Animated Avatars, I just have to get in touch with Starkey about it.

Well, if you've read a thread, or have the last post in it, then it's not exactly new anymore? I understand you want "daily" new threads, but that's not exactly the intent of this system. Still, I'll look into it.
I would pay you money if you fixed this. It's that important to me.

I'll see what I can do!

Provided I did it correctly, I think that Animated Avatars may be working now?

Back