The Political Compass - 2009 Edition

Operational

Reaction score
The underlying principle of the Political Compass is that political views may be better measured along two separate and independent axes.

The Economic (Left-Right) axis measures one's opinion of how the economy should be run: "left" is defined as the view that the economy should be run by a cooperative collective agency (which can mean the state, but can also mean a network of communes), while "right" is defined as the view that the economy should be left to the devices of competing individuals and organisations.

The other axis (Authoritarian-Libertarian) measures one's political opinions in a social sense, regarding a view of the appropriate amount of personal freedom: "libertarianism" is defined as the belief that personal freedom should be maximised, while "authoritarianism" is defined as the belief that authority and tradition should be obeyed.

This topic has come up a few times, if you've participated in the past find your older results here:
Think about how your results might change this time around, then take the test and post here.

Take the Test.

As for me:
(April '07)
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.36

(June '09)
Economic Left/Right: -5.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.82

2 years difference, I thought I might have moved more to the right a bit but it reckons I've actually moved slightly to the left.

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: -1.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.08

chart.jpg

Economic Left/Right: -3.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.72

mhm. mhm.

Economic Left/Right: -3.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.67

It's still very US biased, I consider myself more right wing.

My political compass (June '09)

Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.26

Hm. I always knew I was left-wing. The test didn't talk about gun control (which is the only one conservative viewpoint I actually do have), which was surprising.

I was that close to the center back then? I figured I would have been to the right more.

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: -2.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.33

oh man, this is so me. i'm kinda near the middle and i was raised republican. i fear that i'm heading more to the left but i want to be moderate my entire life because i feel good in the middle (thats what she said!)

anyway cool test, I'll have to try this again in a years time. bookmarked

Economic Left/Right: 1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.56

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -4.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.77

Economic Left/Right: 4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 7.82

It seems that I've moved towards the left (I believe it was 6 a year ago), but my authoritarianism remains the same as ever. i'd prolly would have gotten 9 or something were it not for the religious questions.

My God what has this site done to me.

July 2006

economic left/right: 4.50
social libertarian/authoritarian: -1.95

June 2007

Economic Left/Right: -0.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.54

Today

Economic Left/Right: -5.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.15

Haha. You can blame George Bush instead if that makes you feel better ;)

Economic Left/Right: -5.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.46

More like Ghandi, the Dalai Lama or Mandela than Stalin :p

Economic Left/Right: -4.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.67

omg im hitler

Economic Left/Right: -3.75

Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38

The rating on the social scale is wrong. I noticed that specific issues that I am right wing about (namely, gun control) were never asked. I am sure I would still be in the bottom left box in the end, however.

probably because it's not exclusive to the US. there are regional based tests on the side

Economic Left/Right: -6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.03

some of the questions are still stupid and or are no longer that much of a hot button issue

Economic Left/Right: -5.50
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.21

Economic Left/Right: -3.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.90

Economic Left/Right: 0.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.08

Weird.

Your political compass
Economic Left/Right: -5.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.00

There's a lot of weird questions on that test.

August 2006 (same as Numbers then)
Economic Left/Right: 6.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 7.64

July 2009
Economic Left/Right: -5.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.90

Nice.

Silly test that doesn't accurately reflect the nature of the political spectrum (although it's better than 1d conservative vs liberal tests) and I won't waste my time taking it again only to tell you that I'm <= -8 in both categories (social libertarian essentially).

he quoted this

I cannot see how any sane person could score outside of the bottom left box.

loooks to me as if he's saying saying there are "sane" people who score outside of the left box ...or he could be pointing out an insane person ;)

I for one would like to see how you scored the questions ....just to see what it takes to be in another box besides the one on the bottom left

he quoted this

loooks to me as if he's saying saying there are "sane" people who score outside of the left box ...or he could be pointing out an insane person ;)

I assumed he was suggesting that I'm insane. It's not quite clear. :)

I for one would like to see how you scored the questions ....just to see what it takes to be in another box besides the one on the bottom left

Well, the right hand side represents economic freedom. Therefore I must have answered in a way that agrees, to a moderate degree, with less taxation and less government control over personal finances. And in a way similar to yourself on the social questions, but to a lesser degree.

I can't relate to any viewpoint that would place oneself in the top half. The bottom left box I can understand but find somewhat hypocritical. That's not really freedom, it's the government offering choices and entitlements.

That said I'm surprised it didn't score me further towards the bottom.

what about the questions pertaining to the war on terror ...it wasnt all economic and social ..and some of the questions seem to be right out of a republican/democrat playbook, for example:

"Military action that defies international law is sometimes justified."

and even questions that seem to be an attempt to ferret out the crazies:

"People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce"

wouldnt that be government interference?

what about the questions pertaining to the war on terror ...it wasnt all economic and social ..and some of the questions seem to be right out of a republican/democrat playbook, for example:

Good point. I forgot about those, it was ages ago.

"Military action that defies international law is sometimes justified."

To which I answered "agree". Which is not specific to the context given, as I don't believe that breaking the law is inherently wrong. Where the law happens to agree with what's right, that's just coincidence.

Ultimately, it's a meaningless question. Adherence to the law for the sake of adherence to the law is wrong, especially when a situation of this magnitude is involved.

and even questions that seem to be an attempt to ferret out the crazies:

"People with serious inheritable disabilities should not be allowed to reproduce"

wouldnt that be government interference?

To which I answered "disagree".

Back