The Walking Dead TV Series (AMC)

Hahah, I actually like this intro more than the actual show...

The intro is pretty cool though.
Gets me excited whenever I see it.

The intro makes me depressed, because I know that as soon as it's over I won't be that excited for the next 44 minutes.

This, gets me amped for the show.
It really reminds me of Southland. Love that ****ing intro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro7PhSu_ues
(for comparison)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HykxlZ6HT38

Full version (edited; voices removed)
But you know who's worse? That blond girl whose daughter was killed. The death scene actually had me laughing.
That was her younger sister.

Show kinda sucks, but nothing better to do, I guess. Keep watching? Okay.

Never have I once thought, "oh, I wonder what will happen next," or "I can't wait until next episode".

EDIT: OK, I take that back. I couldn't wait to see him drive the tank through the streets, driving over zombies. It goes without saying that I was very disappointed with what really happened in the next episode.

Just to add another thing I dont like about the show, which has to do with the god awful writing, is that the redneck guy is perfectly fine with abandoning his brother already. Its like he completely forget that he ever existed. Plus I guarantee you hes going to show up randomly where the group is, despite them having traveled so far away and not leaving any hint of where they were going. The best case scenario will be some bullshit like "lol I had a radio too and hear you talking to the black guy WHO NEEDS TO COME BACK AND SAVE THIS ****ING SHOW ALREADY."

Might get more interesting interactions if the show centered entirely around a group of zombies, instead of the living.

Just to add another thing I dont like about the show, which has to do with the god awful writing, is that the redneck guy is perfectly fine with abandoning his brother already. Its like he completely forget that he ever existed. Plus I guarantee you hes going to show up randomly where the group is, despite them having traveled so far away and not leaving any hint of where they were going. The best case scenario will be some bullshit like "lol I had a radio too and hear you talking to the black guy WHO NEEDS TO COME BACK AND SAVE THIS ****ING SHOW ALREADY."

the camera had a dramatic close up on the map and note left on the red car for a reason. merle will turn up because of that, i'm betting. calling it as him showing up and ****ing up the electrics/power to the CDC building, building getting overrun, people killed, then cut to credits on cliffhanging/downer note for second season.

I hope he comes back with a chainsaw to replace his missing hand ..cuz that would be awesome

Might get more interesting interactions if the show centered entirely around a group of zombies, instead of the living.

ya the dialogue would be great

Zombie 1: uuughhhhhhhhhhh
Zombie 2: gahhhhhruuuuuahhh ..BRAINS ....BRAIIIIIINS!!!!

Stigmata said:
But you still acknowledge all the failings of Friends, no?

the show was cliched, the situations were predictable, the characters were annoying but despite that I still dervied some enjoyment out of it at the time (admittedly mostly from fapping to aniston or courtney cox)

Stigmata said:
I really, really liked the pilot of Walking Dead. The shittiness of the following four episodes does not detract from my enjoyment of the first. I'm repeatedly bitching about this show because I care about it and want it to be better.

I saw the pilot as cliche ridden and generic but I still liked it

the camera had a dramatic close up on the map and note left on the red car for a reason.

Ah, I guess I missed that. I think I stopped watching before it was actually over.

the camera had a dramatic close up on the map and note left on the red car for a reason. merle will turn up because of that, i'm betting.
I was going to say the same but got distracted by the fact that - wow, where did all those vehicles come from as they were leaving? And I thought the Winnebago (RV) had a blown hose, but then they drove off in it in the end. Or did they have more than one RV?

the camera had a dramatic close up on the map and note left on the red car for a reason. merle will turn up because of that, i'm betting. calling it as him showing up and ****ing up the electrics/power to the CDC building, building getting overrun, people killed, then cut to credits on cliffhanging/downer note for second season.
This is what I'm guessing too. From the previews, there looks to be some kind of problem with Andrea I think her name is. On top of that I can see the ending leaving off with Merle ramming that cube van through one of those barrier doors.

While the pilot wasn't perfect, I think it's been the best episode so far. Speaking of which, I had a question about the pilot.

The opening, when he's at the gas station, was that a glimpse of something that hasn't happened yet? Like in Breaking Bad, sometimes you'd get a tidbit during the opening that actually didn't happen for another episode or two (the burnt stuffed animal in the pool as a result of the plane crash). If it is, then his wife and son die, or he leaves them at some point? I've never read the comics, so I don't know the story.

Function,

I thought about this too, I assume it's a scene that took place between him leaving town in the police car and ditching it for the horse that we're supposed to put into place ourselves.

I found the campsite ambush ridiculous

If I was in a group situation staked down in a single semi permanent site, there would CLEARLY be a need for outer perimeter security/patrol to make sure no surprises happen.
I mean, how the **** did they get AMBUSHED BY WALKING ZOMBIES FROM ALL DIRECTIONS AT ONCE?

actually yeah, I thought they had tin cans up...

Jesus christ, I actually looked up the actor who played Jenner to see if he was related to Micheal C. Hall, he reminded me of Hall/Dexter so much.

So... Wuddya think the Doc whispered into Rick's ear?

I think the finale was pretty underwhelming, despite what happened.
The entire CDC mini-plot was pretty crap overall really, nothing of value was actually learned and only served to lower the morale of the group even more than it already was.

Also, the Doc probably whispered something about not trusting Shane.

I enjoyed it. Can't wait for next season. You all suck and I hope you get eaten by zombies.

I'm still wondering what the hell happened to Daryl's brother.

Was an alright ending. I had a fleeting moment of hope when I thought to myself "I wonder if they're actually going to die."

If I was in control, thats how I would have ended it. It would have given the show a real somber attitude and sense of reality. It wouldn't be a huge waste of time, since none of the characters are good anyways, and would have allowed them to start over fresh for the second season and get something excellent going.

Instead we get immersion breaking "lol I have a hand grenade in my purse" bullshit, get stuck with the same shitty characters, and have to deal with the "my only facial expression is 'REALLY WIDE EYES'" lady still. Hey lady, we know you can open your eyes really far, you don't have to do it every time you're trying to tell us you're having an emotion.

So... Wuddya think the Doc whispered into Rick's ear?

He brobably told Rick that everyone has the infection allready and they will become zombies even if they die of natural causes. That is, unless, they ditched that concept in the tv series.

Wait what? That was the season finale? Well no wonder they had so much happening in each episode.

Cool episode, I enjoyed it a lot. I don't know why those of you who repeatedly say how much you dislike the show continue to watch it, but anyway.

at sixteenth,

The only thing I can think of is that the doc saw what Shane did to Lori on the cameras, that's about it. If it was anything about the zombies or the apocalypse he would have probably told the whole group.

OR, his wife is pregnant, from the blood test.

I like to think he whispered that it's worse than he let on; major cities nuked whole populations slaughered etc. hope it's not something drama related like wife is pregnant by shane cuz that would be lame

It's probably something to do with his blood. He's special and his blood is special and the key to saving the whole human race yadda. would suck if that was the case but hopefully it's not something dumb like that.

Looks like the show won't be back until next October. :(

well the episode wasnt bad,thought it was going to become into everyone inside finding the cure for the infection,but I think it wasnt bad
though I dont like that the black woman just standed there,she seemed like someone who trow comon sense and them she just want to stay there to die even if she seem to care so much for the rest of the group like when the jim guy got sick and she was takling care of him,I dont liked that she just went "omg I wanna die"
but yeah probably anyone would do the same due to the circunstances but still in this show people is fornicating in a zombie apocalipse so dont come whit that

also I was expecting more background on how the epidemy begun,what was the first case and all that stuff

and yeah I will go whit the "your wife is pregnated" thing too,its the most obvious

or maybe he told them of some place they can get supplies or something like that and only told rick due to his leadership role

When asked about their blood, the doc says, "No surprises."

That's a rather open statement. He could have said, "no infections", but he goes with something much more vague. So the ones saying that they are already infected seems most likely.

When asked about their blood, the doc says, "No surprises."

That's a rather open statement. He could have said, "no infections", but he goes with something much more vague. So the ones saying that they are already infected seems most likely.

Everyone's "infected".
At least that's how it is in the graphic novels.

Well well well, time for me to make a post about how I feel about this whole show and the entire season?

No matter how many bad things you can say about it, there is a certain unidentifiable quality of goodness in this show, as in all other AMC shows. It's more than production value, though that's definitely there, but a sort of direct dramatic seriousness. Unlike most cable shows you turn on this show and you know that you're watching something on a different level than ordinary television. A certain not-to-be-****ed-with quality that we expect from the likes of Breaking Bad. And that quality fills me with hope, because there is still a ton of potential here, and the first season was so short and inconsequential that I think I can just say, "Okay, that's over with, let's get to the good stuff."

Now, the good stuff that's already there. Like I said, production value. If there is one aspect of the show that's great, it's the physical setting. The camp, the city. It's been done, but it's never really done this well. So fully realized that you can believe it. I can look at the show and say, "Jesus Christ that's what the world would be like if this really happened." That said, there's plenty outside of that to angrily rant about.

First off, they tried to do much. Really, five to seven characters would've been a tough challenge, but instead we have like fifteen. We have characters who who we've heard speek twice and we're supposed to give a shit about them? The penultimate episode was a perfect example of this. Cut to Glenn shouting angrily about respect for the dead, Andrea hugging her dead sister, random lady smashing her dead husband's skull. A mile wide and an inch deep. Also showcased by the writing too (it's not much different in the book, but it's not as bad as the show). People just don't have this much serious meaningful dramatic conversation, and it's literally all we hear. Oh, and fun fact, that terrible terrible black lady character was in a relationship with that black guy? Yeah, I guess they're both black, but maybe we should've gotten a scene where they, I don't know, looked at each other? Frankly, the best part of that episode was her dying.

So yeah, that pisses me off, but I'm optimistic. Significant differences between show and book that seriously suck: Shane and Rick's wife. Yeah, television audiences need to see a good **** in the second episode to understand there's some history there. Subtlety be damned. In the book, it's a good long time before we get any evidence that they ever did it, just one time, long before Grimes wakes up, and until then it's pretty much angry Shane stare and uncomfortable eyecontact. The survivors in the hospital and the general zombie saturation of the city: boo. In the books it would've been inconcievable to hold out in a building, make vehicle raids deep into the city, or support large groups. Being able to do stuff like that without a second thought undermines the whole fear and danger you're trying to convey, and, realistically, makes it pretty hard to believe that zombies could ever be a threat. And Dale: Dale is a whiny asshole, instead of being a clearheaded and well balanced support character. He just pisses me off whenever he talks, as opposed to in the books, where he's incredibly likeable.

Oh, and two very specific and random complaints. First person view isn't good. It's really not. It looks unnatural and wierd to look down a gunsight through somebody else's eyes. Unnecessary to convey the point. And the gasmask view, goddamnet, it wouldn't even look like that anyway. It darkens the corners, not the majority of your goddamn vision. Not that it was necessary anyway. And that explosion scene sucked. HOW MANY DIFFERENT ANGLES CAN WE VIEW THIS FAKE LOOKING EXPLOSION IN?!

But I'm not hopeless. Most of the general characters and their personal conflicts are interesting, no matter how poorly they've been handled. I really think this show has some potential.

...Significant differences between show and book that seriously suck:
...In the book...
... as opposed to in the books.

As much as I agree with almost everything you said, using "it's not like the source material" is still the stupidest goddamn complaint about any adaptation that it makes me want to
blow myself up (???)

I don't care whether the show is any sort of direct or consistent adaptation to the book at all. It hasn't been, and for the most part, I'm glad. But that part of my review isn't dedicated so much to "Oh this wasn't like the book grrr" so much as "Wow, that was a really retarded move. Why'd they do it that way? For reference, the book does it this way, and it's way better." If the tables were turned and the book handled those things stupidly and the show did a great job, I'd be praising the show and how it makes the book look like trash.

It wouldn't make sense for him to whisper to Rick that his blood is special, or the the situation is worse than they think. If that's the case he would have told the whole group when their deaths seemed inevitable. It's something that relates to Rick in a big way, and the clip of Lori and Shane getting busy in the woods in the "previously" segment was a big hint. He's got to find out about her and shane sooner or later.

I don't care whether the show is any sort of direct or consistent adaptation to the book at all. It hasn't been, and for the most part, I'm glad. But that part of my review isn't dedicated so much to "Oh this wasn't like the book grrr" so much as "Wow, that was a really retarded move. Why'd they do it that way? For reference, the book does it this way, and it's way better." If the tables were turned and the book handled those things stupidly and the show did a great job, I'd be praising the show and how it makes the book look like trash.

That's fair, and I agree.

I can't believe how determined this show is to be bad. The final setpiece summed up the entire first season perfectly - high-concept ideas that don't make sense, so we'll throw in some Bayism to cover. The whole thing feels hollow and contrived. I think in a month's time, fans will be hard-pressed to come up with examples of powerful lines or moving scenes, as most seem to be blinded by the novel presence of zombies on television. What's puzzling to me, though, is that Darabont was the co-writer of this last episode as well, considering how comparatively good the pilot was. There was something in that episode, some imprecise quality, that simply disappeared after the first credits roll. I honestly think that had I seen everything but the pilot, I would think the show was a parody of zombie media.

No matter how many bad things you can say about it, there is a certain unidentifiable quality of goodness in this show as in all other AMC shows.
It remains quite hidden to me. If there such an element in this show, it is both unidentifiable, and unnoticeable. More importantly however, I would like to point out that you're wrong in your assumption that all other AMC shows have "an unidentifiable quality of goodness." Every good show of AMC's has a very identifiable quality to it.

It's more than production value, though that's definitely there, but a sort of direct dramatic seriousness. Unlike most cable shows you turn on this show and you know that you're watching something on a different level than ordinary television. A certain not-to-be-****ed-with quality that we expect from the likes of Breaking Bad. And that quality fills me with hope
Again, I disagree. I don't get any inkling of "seriousness" or, hell, even "dramatic" from the show. The only dramatic elements to it have been the father/son from the first episode. Everything else is cheese. When the sister died, it was all I could do to not laugh. When the lady pulled out the Deus Ex Machina grenade from her purse, it was all I could do to not have an aneurysm. Nothing in the show feels serious to me. The guy just being like "lol what brother?" after having given up after one day of looking for him. The "zombies can't smell us if we have guts all over us" bullshit. The "lol we snuck up on you and somehow got past your noise maker traps despite being loud, shambling idiots" bullshit. The tank bullshit. The "I THOUGHT YOU LOVED ME?!?!" rapey scene. The "I wanna burn to a crisp because I'm stupid and think that a loss of communications means theres only 10 people on the planet DERP" bullshit.

Its all bullshit.

because there is still a ton of potential here, and the first season was so short and inconsequential that I think I can just say, "Okay, that's over with, let's get to the good stuff."
Agreed.

The camp, the city. It's been done, but it's never really done this well. So fully realized that you can believe it. I can look at the show and say, "Jesus Christ that's what the world would be like if this really happened."
Disagreed. There have been plenty of movies that have done the city a lot better. I can't think of any movie where they were dumb enough to camp outside, so yeah, I guess TWD gets that one.

I honestly believe the show is absolute shit. Just cliche ridden standard American nonsense.

It wouldn't make sense for him to whisper to Rick that his blood is special, or the the situation is worse than they think. If that's the case he would have told the whole group when their deaths seemed inevitable. It's something that relates to Rick in a big way, and the clip of Lori and Shane getting busy in the woods in the "previously" segment was a big hint. He's got to find out about her and shane sooner or later.

I hope you're wrong
in the episode where he's reunited with his family; while in the tent Rick sees a pair of mens shoes ..the camera lingers on it for sec no indication of whether he recognizes them.

I didnt see the pilot as being a highwater mark. it was just more intense and more tightly paced but it wasnt head and shoulders above the other episodes in my opinion. the series is thematically about survival; there's bound to be human drama in there somewhere. although I admit it doesnt have to be so soap opera- ish as it has been. but it seems to take these plotlines in arcs so hopefully most of it will be resolved sooner or later

Back