The Walking Dead TV Series (AMC)

I think the whisper had to do something with his blood. The reason is it still isn't clear how he survived the hospital. In the beginning of the episode they took you back and it was clear the entire hospital was over run and it was also suggested that he didn't have a heart beat.

But I do think there are a lot of really dumb parts of this show that make absolutely no sense. For instance, in the beginning of the episode. The marines are killing everything that is alive, putting additional bullets in the head to confirm. Yet they get to his hospital room and first off they don't shoot him even though they hear the machines beeping and second off the marine closes the door behind him. I know this is just supposed to be a TV show and I thought it was funny how seriously some people were taking it. But there is alot of really flawed crap in this show.

Another thing that bugged me just from yesterday's episode is that all those people at the CDC blew their brains out. Seriously? It was less than a month and you have all the food, drinks, and alcohol that you want. Not to mention important research to be done. And everyone just kills themselves because it's not worth living? Makes no sense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to keep watching since it's still better than many other shows on. But they could have done a better job with this.

Every good show of AMC's has a very identifiable quality to it.
I never said otherwise. Those qualities obviously aren't the ones I'm talking about. You can say what you like, if you take this show less seriously than any drama that's not on HBO, Showtime, or AMC, then you're just flat out wrong. This show has that weight to it. The "We're not holding back, this is the real deal" quality is there, the only problem is they just can't seem to write a script that's worth a damn.
Again, I disagree. I don't get any inkling of "seriousness" or, hell, even "dramatic" from the show. The only dramatic elements to it have been the father/son from the first episode. Everything else is cheese. When the sister died, it was all I could do to not laugh. When the lady pulled out the Deus Ex Machina grenade from her purse, it was all I could do to not have an aneurysm. Nothing in the show feels serious to me. The guy just being like "lol what brother?" after having given up after one day of looking for him. The "zombies can't smell us if we have guts all over us" bullshit. The "lol we snuck up on you and somehow got past your noise maker traps despite being loud, shambling idiots" bullshit. The tank bullshit. The "I THOUGHT YOU LOVED ME?!?!" rapey scene. The "I wanna burn to a crisp because I'm stupid and think that a loss of communications means theres only 10 people on the planet DERP" bullshit.

Its all bullshit.
Well, for most of those, see above. When I talk about the "quality", I'm not referring to such things being poorly done, but the fact that they're done at all. And as some one who thought a great deal, hell, maybe even the majority of the show was stupid, I still have to call you out on some of these. I don't know what you thought was so hilarious about the sister dying really, so I can't really refute what I don't understand. There's nothing Dues Ex Machina about the grenade, it's just silly that the woman ever got her hands on it. Minor writing conviences really are not indicative of how dramatic or serious a show is at all. Perhaps he stops searching for his brother because he was too busy killing, burying, and fleeing from zombies with the rest of the group? Not really sure what the problem with the guts is. I mean it's a completely made up phenomenon where the dead walk the earth, but if some particular detail of the made up mythology just feels like "bullshit" to you, I guess that just sucks for you. Yeah, bit of a plothole, couldn't really care less. Do you think the acting was bad, or do you just have a love for capital letters? Yeah, clearly she thought she was one of the last ten people on the planet. Learning that all of society has broken down and there's no hope of ever being rescued from a zombie infested world wasn't it. She really believed there was only ten people.

Broken down, everything in that post was either unimportant or not really very bad, which is odd, seeing as there's plenty bad to complain about. Honestly, it appears to me that the biggest valid problem you have is minor plot holes/convienences and made up premise rules. Which is funny because that is absolutely the stupidest thing to let bother you in any piece of storytelling in any medium ever.
Disagreed. There have been plenty of movies that have done the city a lot better. I can't think of any movie where they were dumb enough to camp outside, so yeah, I guess TWD gets that one.
Agree to disagree then? It'd be nice to know what movies you're talking about though.

So am I the only one that's still confused how you actually get killed by a zombie attack? The blood loss from a few of their bites isn't lethal, and certainly not that quickly. The disease will still get you, but that takes a while.

HUGE SPOILER

InlEp.jpg

So am I the only one that's still confused how you actually get killed by a zombie attack? The blood loss from a few of their bites isn't lethal, and certainly not that quickly. The disease will still get you, but that takes a while.

Did you... watch the show? You get a fever if bitten that looks like it takes about a day to kill you.

Did you... watch the show? You get a fever if bitten that looks like it takes about a day to kill you.

Uhh.. yeah. I even said so in my post. My post was just three sentences, dude. But the show has people dying from being in combat with a zombie. From what exactly? How did the people in the camp attack die? Fever kills, but that takes time. Those people died right away. How?

The shower scene really bugged me. It plays out like a montage that doesn't actually compress time. It's like Lori was waiting outside the shower for Glenn to finish, and Rick was next in line saying, "Okay guys, just a heads up that Lori and I have a steamy love scene coming up, so we're gonna take longer than usual. Shane, buddy, you got your alcohol? We need it for your obligatory guilt shot. Oh, and Andrea - I was thinking, since we're knocking off all the shower tropes anyway, why don't you take care of 'sitting under the showerhead in shock'?"

Uhh.. yeah. I even said so in my post. My post was just three sentences, dude. But the show has people dying from being in combat with a zombie. From what exactly? How did the people in the camp attack die? Fever kills, but that takes time. Those people died right away. How?

I read your post just fine. During the zombie attack,
The Ed guy has his FACE EATEN, as mentioned
The younger sister has her JUGULAR BITTEN OFF
Two lesser characters are shown BEING EATEN AFTER BEING BITTEN BY MULTIPLE ZOMBIES ALL OVER THEIR BODY

Can you withstand people biting huge chunks out of important areas of your body really well or something?

There's nothing Dues Ex Machina about the grenade, it's just silly that the woman ever got her hands on it. Minor writing conviences really are not indicative of how dramatic or serious a show is at all.

i dont know about you guys but i was really wondering where the **** that grenade went. i saw him pick it up at the police station and thought he'd use it to make a loud distraction so they could leave the city.

I actually think he picked it up from that dead guy in the tank.

I actually think he picked it up from that dead guy in the tank.

No you're wrong! He got it from the police station like mindless_moder said because it's standard issue crowd dispersement gear! Welcome to the free kaboom zone!

People would enjoy the show more if they stopped looking for things to criticize.

People would enjoy the show more if they stopped looking for things to criticize.

As much as I think this show is over criticized, and often for dumb reasons, not being critical is an easy way to settle for garbage. "Everything's better if you just have incredibly low expectations!"

Am I the only one here bothered by the lack of Zombie carnage? The show is called The Walking Dead, not "Apocalypse Drama." Based on the title and the adverts I expected weekly zombie destruction, and holdouts, but instead I get some sappy overly-dramatic poorly executed drama about some guy and his family. That I can do with, but the decisions they make, and the easy outs that are right in front of them which they constantly ignore infuriate me. Throughout the whole season I kept seeing places where the grenade could have been used to solve all of their problems, but instead, he forgot he had a high-powered explosive in his pocket? That's absurd, and makes very little sense. It's not every day, even for a cop, that you stumble into a tank after your horse got eaten by zombies, and find a damn grenade. He could have rolled the grenade out under the tank, blew the zombies up, got the guns, and ran like hell.

Sure, that would have done more harm than good in the long run, but it would have been exciting... I hope the next season has more action in it. And not the whole deal with the Evil Mexican Nurses trying to take their guns, and their leader with little man syndrome being a total asshat about it... Or 40 different angles of the same exaggerated explosion that, ironically doesn't shoot off any debris in any direction with its shockwave. I think this whole season was just a long series of convenient events. As an example, when the sad woman's little sister came back as a zombie, why didn't the zombie take a chunk out of the woman's arm, which was positioned right next to her mouth? Why did everyone forget about the grenade? Why did the one-armed racist decide to go in the exact direction that his search party did, and they didn't see him along the way?

But, maybe I am too harsh and too expectant of this show in its first season. I look forward to the next season and seeing it improve.

Broken down, everything in that post was either unimportant or not really very bad, which is odd, seeing as there's plenty bad to complain about. Honestly, it appears to me that the biggest valid problem you have is minor plot holes/convienences and made up premise rules. Which is funny because that is absolutely the stupidest thing to let bother you in any piece of storytelling in any medium ever.

Everything in my post was the result of shit writing and bad acting. If you think those are the absolutely stupidest things to be bothered by in storytelling, then you're a nincompoop.

Everything in my post was the result of shit writing and bad acting. If you think those are the absolutely stupidest things to be bothered by in storytelling, then you're a nincompoop.

Oh yeah, the writing is absolutely god awful in the show because the grenade that Rick found under plausible circumstances in the premiere and then ended up coming back into play at the finale, in a slightly silly fashion, that was what killed this show for me. And zombies can't smell you if you're covered in dead stuff? Man that's some bullshit. I mean, if there's bad dialogue and characters and and general plot, that's one thing, but minor plot detail discrepancies and things that disagree with my sense of zombie lore? THAT IS WHERE I DRAW THE LINE.

P.S. I was Silent Presence.

P.S. I was Silent Presence.

Thats the kind of stupid, not-at-all-interesting-or-even-practical type of plot twist I would expect from someone who thinks the writing in this show is passable.

Heres how I imagine the grenade getting written into the script.

Writer 1: "Phew! Finally we're almost done with the finale's script. Ok, so where are we?"
Writer 2: "All we have to do is figure out how they're going to escape the self-destructing CDC building."
Writer 1: "Ah yes, well lets see. Obviously we'll have them break the windows with fire-axes."
Writer 2: "Uh, I think a facility designed to kill every living organism inside in an effort to prevent an outbreak would have windows that can withstand axe attacks"
Writer 1: "Hmm, I suppose you're right. Well, then we'll have the big black guy run up and try smashing through using a chair!"
Writer 2: "..."
Writer 1: "Oh, right. Haha it probably wouldn't break from that either. But it will add to the suspense, so I'm writing it in."
Writer 2: "Gah, fine. So what do they actually use to break free?"
Writer 1: "Hmm..."

*2 hours pass*

Writer 1: "**** it, the lady has a grenade in her purse, and the windows designed to prevent people from escaping before lighting the air on fire aren't designed to withstand a small explosion."
Writer 2: "Well, I suppose its an plausible lack of foresight on behalf of the architects who designed the building... but where did the lady get the grenade from?"
Writer 1: "God DAMN. WHO GIVES A SHIT ITS A SHOW ABOUT ZOMBIES."
Writer 2: "Still, lets have her get it from somewhere."
Writer 1: "Fine, she has it from when she washed the cop's clothes and found it."
Writer 2: "Oh, but where did he get it from?"
Writer 1: "**** I DONT CARE. The GOD DAMN TANK COMMANDER OR SOME SHIT.
Writer 2: "Jesus, chill out. Still, I don't think tank commanders carry grenades."
Writer 1: "ZOMBIE SHOW. NOBODY GIVES A SHIT. I'M WRITING IT IN AND GOING HOME."
Writer 2: "The work day only started two and a half hours ago..."
Writer 1: "Whatever, just tell Frank I was in all day. He won't care, its just a zombie show."

Frank Darabont: "You're all fired."

You don't think people in tanks carry grenades? I think people in tanks carry grenades. I bet there's tons of grenades in tanks.

Why would they need grenades when they've got a tank? I'd be willing to bet $500 that tank operators aren't issued hand grenades.

yeah I still think military personal having grenades is not the most unbelievable thing in the universe

eh...I am the only one who remenbers that rick picked up the grenade from some militar zombie?
and even the woman say "I found this in your pocket...." so I dont get why people say "she pulled a grenade out of nowhere! dude that is so crappy writting!"

yeah I still think military personal having grenades is not the most unbelievable thing in the universe

It's really not. If they had any idea what they'd be fighting, having a grenade would make a lot of sense. Hell, we don't even know that the guy was in the tank to begin with. When Rick got that grenade, I didn't even blink it seemed so reasonable, you're just going back to mock that because it's pretty obvious your conception of the grenade as shitty writing isn't really that accurate. And I like how every line is devoted to making something sound stupid. "Haha, they try to escape with axes and blunt force! Only an idiot would try to break out of a building that logically would probably be immune to such forces with a minute left before the building explodes!" And it's not even an unlikely event, the lady putting it in her purse, it just comes off stupid when it comes into play from us not having heard it. And once again, you're ignoring my point. I'm not saying that this is not a valid problem (although it is so trivial and unimportant I find it astounding we're even talking about it), it's just, of all the problems of the show, this should be a tiny blip on the ****ing radar. A plothole that really isn't even a plothole in a show plagued with major issues, and this is what you won't shut about. I think that really proves that your opinion is kind of worthless on the matter of my serious zombie television show.

It's really not. If they had any idea what they'd be fighting, having a grenade would make a lot of sense. Hell, we don't even know that the guy was in the tank to begin with. When Rick got that grenade, I didn't even blink it seemed so reasonable, you're just going back to mock that because it's pretty obvious your conception of the grenade as shitty writing isn't really that accurate. And I like how every line is devoted to making something sound stupid. "Haha, they try to escape with axes and blunt force! Only an idiot would try to break out of a building that logically would probably be immune to such forces with a minute left before the building explodes!" And it's not even an unlikely event, the lady putting it in her purse, it just comes off stupid when it comes into play from us not having heard it. And once again, you're ignoring my point. I'm not saying that this is not a valid problem (although it is so trivial and unimportant I find it astounding we're even talking about it), it's just, of all the problems of the show, this should be a tiny blip on the ****ing radar. A plothole that really isn't even a plothole in a show plagued with major issues, and this is what you won't shut about. I think that really proves that your opinion is kind of worthless on the matter of my serious zombie television show.

The hell are you talking about? I made like two posts about the grenade, and thats only because other people picked that out to argue with me over. I've made several cases where shitty elements of the show make me think its not good. The grenade thing is one of many small and large annoyances that keep me from liking the show very much.

From this thread it seems to ma that all your complaints are either unfounded or based on really trivial aspects on how 'believable' elements of the show are. I realize you've made some serious and important points, but I've found a lot of your issues with it silly. I went through your paragraphs of complaints and countered all of them and the grenade things is the only one I found valid at all, so you can go through that and say what you want about everything else.

I'm very vaguely reminded of this based on your opinions:

20081210.gif

You guys really nitpick the show.

I don't exactly have high expectations for a zombie show. Still the show is entertaining to me for being a lot like a B-zombie movie. I don't expect it to have me on the edge of my seat like other great drama shows. I just take it for how I view most zombie films, just mindless fun.

Well with comments like "they are messing around with zombie lore" what can you expect? I mean there isn't any zombie lore because ZOMBIES DON'T EXIST! :LOL:

yeah. grenades. military dudes. not a stretch.

Come on guys, it is an absolutely terribly written show. Utterly terrible.

I wish I was awake enough to point it out to you, but I feel the scene where the girl is cradling her soon to be zombie sister the most obvious. When the cop goes to talk to her she points a gun at his face and that doesn't seem like a big deal.

Would have been far better if they had dragged her away from her sister and then shot her sister in the head before she became a zombie, all the while the other girl is going crazy pleading with her not too. As the cop is about to do it there are tears in his eyes, but he knows its what has to be done. Letting the girl cradle a zombie is too dangerous.

Instead everyone is all touchy-feely, and that guy who's brother sawed his hand off, both those brother actually try to kill other surviors several times, but they always stop them and then act like it was no big deal. Someone trys to stab me, or puts a gun in my face becuase of their ****ing drama, well they are a liabilty.

What the **** is that in America dramas anyway, characters are always pointing guns at each other for stupid ****ing reasons. It annoys me to no end, pointing a gun at someones face is a big ****ing deal, so is trying to stab someone, you just don't let that pass. But in the walking dead it's all just ignored. ****ing annoys me. Never mind the cliches too, ****.

How can anyone think this is a good show? Where is the originality. You know whats a good zombie film, 28 weeks later. The opening scene when the guy abandons his wife and kid to get eaten is amazing, makes the character believable and gives you a lot to think about, 'would I in that situation make the split secound descision to flee, could anybody know if they would or not?'

That shit is dark and makes you think. The walking dead has none of that, it just has cheesy characters, with affairs and ****ing domestic abuse for filler content. Most of the characters are completely irrational too. Putting their stupid drama ahead of survival.

Maybe that is realistic I don't know. But if the group started turning on people who were liabilties, showing how in such a desperate situation you need to be ****ing serious and willing to kill to protect your family and the group, that would be better.

**** the waking dead, it's absolutely terrible, you guys just wish it was good and won't admit it really isn't, just high budget.

Except for the special effects when that magic AI having building explodes, that looked like shit.

Would have been far better if they had dragged her away from her sister and then shot her sister in the head before she became a zombie, all the while the other girl is going crazy pleading with her not too. As the cop is about to do it there are tears in his eyes, but he knows its what has to be done. Letting the girl cradle a zombie is too dangerous.

Wholeheartedly agree, but then the writers would actually have to come up with something to fill in the void left behind that long drawn out scene.

How can anyone think this is a good show? Where is the originality. You know whats a good zombie film, 28 weeks later. The opening scene when the guy abandons his wife and kid to get eaten is amazing, makes the character believable and gives you a lot to think about, 'would I in that situation make the split secound descision to flee, could anybody know if they would or not?'

That shit is dark and makes you think. The walking dead has none of that, it just has cheesy characters, with affairs and ****ing domestic abuse for filler content. Most of the characters are completely irrational too. Putting their stupid drama ahead of survival.

That opening scene was pretty much the only good thing about 28 weeks later , 28 days on the other hand. Personaly i think that "The Road" is a far better example of the point you're making , the measures they take in order to survive are really eye opening. I highly recommend it if you haven't seen it already.

I don't think I need any more justification of my hope for the show than Solaris's disapproval.

I don't think I need any more justification of my hope for the show than Solaris's disapproval.
Unfortunately this is one of the few times you're supposed to agree with Solaris. I ****ing love zombies and this show is awful. It's just dreck. I really want to emphasize that - I choose my words carefully, and this is a word I've used maybe six times in my life. It is dreck. The whole thing is a clumsy puppet show, plying audiences with overexcited reproductions of ideas so half-baked that even *I* didn't even touch them in my failed attempt at a HL2 zombie mod.

I give The Walking Dead one star of four - in spite of a trainwreck writing team, the pilot was good, and the next five hours make for some pretty good genre satire if you're drunk enough.

Like I said, I ****ing love zombies. I wanted it to be good, so I didn't give up on it.

Like I said, I ****ing love zombies. I wanted it to be good, so I didn't give up on it.

Same. Though, I stopped religiously watching when I grew to realize the show is simply subpar in the genre (I started letting my DVR record it and would watch during study breaks throughout the week). Also, knowing that this took the place of Rubicon disgusts me. IMO, that was a much better show.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree that Rubicon was superior in every way.

I've come to realize that it was merely my insane amount of hype for the show and my love for all things zombies that kept me watching, but I will tune in next year just to see if Darabont managed to pull his shit together.

But, if I had known that this was how TWD was going to turn out then I probably would have written dozens of angry letters to AMC to bring back Rubicon.

Unfortunately this is one of the few times you're supposed to agree with Solaris.

In the sense that he's generally critical of TWD, sure. But what his post actually said, I mean, I just can't read it with a straight face.

Back