TV licence adverts

Shodan

Tank
Reaction score
The new adverts are just lovely, are they trying to make us guilty or something?

"Make sure you have your TV licence, because we don't want to send big tony round to sort you out."

bastardadvert7et.jpg

As a staff member of Halflife2.net, I'll be paying MY TV licence on time. You should too!

*smiles*

I wholeheartedly endorse this. Paying your TV license is the first step to Nirvana. I'm serious, we're not being paid for this or anything. Nope.

Sulkdodds said:
we're not being paid for this or anything. Nope.

What my college meant to say is that you can pay your TV licence by:

• Direct Debit
  • Over the phone
  • Or by mail!

So don't hesitate, click here!

Bah, but what are we paying for... BBC, which sucks ass.

it's like that road tax advert where they say they're watching you. *shivers*

the TV license is a con , £126 for whats on tv here it is a rip off (but i have got one :p )

Hmmm seems like the TV license website is down. And I need to get one asap!

Newsreel announcer: Young people from all over the globe are joining up to pay their TV licences!
Man #1: I'm doing my part.
Woman: I'm doing my part!.
Man #2: I'm doing my part!.
Young kid: I'm doing my part too!!.
All: Ha Ha Ha...

TV license? uh?
hmm...is it equivelent to paying the monthly cable TV bill?

Dr. Freeman said:
TV license? uh?
hmm...is it equivelent to paying the monthly cable TV bill?
Sort of...

The BBC -- most of you will know it because a lot of you go to news.bbc.co.uk for news -- doesn't actually have any TV adverts on at all. So between their programs you don't get spammed with crap about Cillit Bang and Fabreeze and all that bollocks. The way they get their money is by charging every TV owner in the country a mandatory TV licence fee.

Another bonus is uninterrupted programming, but that makes it a bitch if there's a 3 hour film on.

We have monthly cable bills too btw.

bliink said:
Newsreel announcer: Young people from all over the globe are joining up to pay their TV licences!
Man #1: I'm doing my part.
Woman: I'm doing my part!.
Man #2: I'm doing my part!.
Young kid: I'm doing my part too!!.
All: Ha Ha Ha...

:LOL:

Starship troopers, if i'm not mistaken.

Chris_D said:
Sort of...

The BBC -- most of you will know it because a lot of you go to news.bbc.co.uk for news -- doesn't actually have any TV adverts on at all. So between their programs you don't get spammed with crap about Cillit Bang and Fabreeze and all that bollocks. The way they get their money is by charging every TV owner in the country a mandatory TV licence fee.

Another bonus is uninterrupted programming, but that makes it a bitch if there's a 3 hour film on.

We have monthly cable bills too btw.

interesting.
of course, like u said...it could be a pain in the ass with uninterrupted programming unless there is a way to pause live TV...i believe the pause option is offered here in Canada tho :)

We have TiVo and Sky TV here. Sky is a digital sattelite provider (equivalent to cable over there, and better than our cable companies over here) and they offer a service called Sky+ which is basically the sattelite receiver but it has a hard drive in to enable us to pause, record etc. We don't get it as standard TV though.

Chris_D said:
We have TiVo and Sky TV here. Sky is a digital sattelite provider (equivalent to cable over there, and better than our cable companies over here) and they offer a service called Sky+ which is basically the sattelite receiver but it has a hard drive in to enable us to pause, record etc. We don't get it as standard TV though.
Yeh, Belgium now has that too. Over a few years, cable will dissappear and digital TV will be standard (From an interview).

kirovman said:
What's wrong with digital cable?

well aside from it being more expensive than normal cable TV? nothing really :)
i hope the prices come down for the monthly services so i can afford to watch sports events in HDTV...right now i can't afford the extra cost for HDTV capabilities.

kirovman said:
What's wrong with digital cable?
I dunno about Telewest, but NTL are a pile of cack. Their customer service is really bad.

My mother was in a transition between jobs, and inbetween she was struggling to pay bills. In the end she couldn't pay the NTL cable TV bill and it had gotten disconnected so we only had the basic channels. When the finances got sorted out she called NTL to pay her bills off and get reconnected. The guy at the other end of the phone had an attitude problem and the conversation went like this:

Mum: ... well you've obviously not got very good customer care skills, have you?
NTL Customer Services: Well you've obviously not got very good bill paying skills have you?

...and then he hung up.

My father moved house. He was an existing NTL customer. It took them seven weeks to reconnect his TV (even though the previous owners of the house had NTL already set up and he was an existing customer), and even then they put him on the basic package, even though they were charging him the full entertainment package.

Also, with NTL cable TV the set top boxes crash constantly, they freeze and black out at certain times of the day as it updates the interactive tv-guide thing and they take ages to load up and get a picture.

Not got a problem with their other services. Their cable broadband packages are great, but just not prepared to put up with their shit.

Chris_D said:
I dunno about Telewest, but NTL are a pile of cack. Their customer service is really bad.

My mother was in a transition between jobs, and inbetween she was struggling to pay bills. In the end she couldn't pay the NTL cable TV bill and it had gotten disconnected so we only had the basic channels. When the finances got sorted out she called NTL to pay her bills off and get reconnected. The guy at the other end of the phone had an attitude problem and the conversation went like this:

Mum: ... well you've obviously not got very good customer care skills, have you?
NTL Customer Services: Well you've obviously not got very good bill paying skills have you?

...and then he hung up.

My father moved house. He was an existing NTL customer. It took them seven weeks to reconnect his TV (even though the previous owners of the house had NTL already set up and he was an existing customer), and even then they put him on the basic package, even though they were charging him the full entertainment package.

Also, with NTL cable TV the set top boxes crash constantly, they freeze and black out at certain times of the day as it updates the interactive tv-guide thing and they take ages to load up and get a picture.

Not got a problem with their other services. Their cable broadband packages are great, but just not prepared to put up with their shit.

*supports*

I always read that without the inital "i".

Dirty mind, dirty dirty dirty!

Look at the penny! Look at the Penny!

Good as new! Good as new!

Pi Mu Rho said:
I always read that without the inital "i".

Dirty mind, dirty dirty dirty!

my friend works on the checkouts at tescos, and when it goes through it's abbreviated so on the little screen it says 'CLIT BANG £2.98'

maybe it's immature but it made me laugh :)

I've had loads of problems with NTL cable (mandatory in Milton Keynes as there are no signals flying through the air).. in the end we just stopped paying, they don't seem to have noticed yet. I wish we had true analogue cable here, I have a box that enables all channels :D As it is, we use sky. At one point this meant we paid sky for the extra channels, NTL to have the basic free to view channels on all tv's in the house, and the TV Licensing people. Ridiculous.

Gha theve updated our Ntl thing now, its all blue and we have a TV guide interactive thing, but its SOOOOO SLOOW now to change a channel, trying to type in 408 on the remote is a nightmare, becuase it does put the number 4 in for 2 secounds then the 3 in 3 secounds then the 8 in like 0 secounds, so its impossible to change to a channel tthat isnt 111 or 222 or the like.

Ba***ds

Oh and it covers up the advanced search drop down menu :p

Ba*****s

I think in Ireland that TV licenses are enforeced by the government. You must have 1 for every house you have a TV in.

Jangle said:
my friend works on the checkouts at tescos, and when it goes through it's abbreviated so on the little screen it says 'CLIT BANG £2.98'

maybe it's immature but it made me laugh :)

Rofl me too :D
I start uni in two weeks - I won't be paying for my TV license though.

Back