Valve Teases a Mac Release of Steam

DigiQ8

Tank
Reaction score
Today, Eurogamer, MacRumors, MacNN, Shacknews and RPS - each one of these websites has received a mysterious image with the following note: "In anticipation of an upcoming announcement from Valve.". Whatever the announcement, it looks like Valve will have something to tell us at GDC next week. [br]

<div align="center"> </div>[br]

Combine this with the Mac OS X menu components found in the new Steam UI Beta, and you'll see that it suggests that Valve may be planning to make a move into the Mac platform.

146840-valve_half_life_1984_original.jpg

Note: In case you don't know, it's a reference to 1984.

You're missing one image. Look towards the bottom of each picture. Francis is only five out of six. Edit: Nevermind, overlooked the bottom portion of Barnz's post thinking it was just your typical joke picture. Sorry about that. Where did that one come from?

Note: In case you don't know, it's a reference to 1984.
What? Well, kind of. It's a parody of an advert that was inspired by 1984. It's several steps away from the actual 1984 though.

Shame they sent it to a site that couldn't spare the bandwidth to show it in its proper resolution. It looks brilliant through my microscope.

It's extremely stupid that they haven't made the move already. Hipsters buy games too, you know!

And those images cracked me up.

It's extremely stupid that they haven't made the move already. Hipsters buy games too, you know!

And those images cracked me up.

Gabe had been talking about it for years, but it is only recently it had been taken up a notch

Those images are just brilliant and sexy! Kind of exciting for mac users and the platform as a whole. I think this will bring more devs to make mac compatible games.

How many of the games available through Steam are Mac-compatible, though?

Pop cap games :p

Rumours are going around that the Source engine has been converted for Mac use. It's almost a certainty, despite the fact I thought I'd never see it in my life.

Just as long as the HEV suit looks as pimped out as in that image! :D

Blizzard games are all mac compatible.

That's silly, EVERYBODY knows you can't play games on a MAC.

Ah, these images are great. Sentry and Turret has to be the best

Given the HL2 and LFD images they must have ported the Source engine to OpenGL, which is great news indeed!

Now all we need is for Apple to stop being so lame with cutting edge graphics card support and it's all gravy...

Nice news, I can't wait to hear which games will be available on the Mac. The only reason for using Windows was Steam, so yay!

*sigh*

You CAN play any game on a mac. You just install windows via apple's bootcamp (apple even gives you the CD to do so, and has all the steps involved for you in the box) and it turns into any other PC/laptop.

To have it coded for Macs is just a shortcut financially. Unless you have a copy of Windows already, just use that and buy the game normally. If you dont have a copy of windows or a legitimate windows, then yeah, buy the mac version of the game.

Yep, I'm using Windows 7 through bootcamp on my iMac, works great. But indeed it is nicer (as a shortcut) to run Steam natively on OSX..

Pop cap games :p

Rumours are going around that the Source engine has been converted for Mac use. It's almost a certainty, despite the fact I thought I'd never see it in my life.
I heard that the next Postal game is Source and ported to work on OSX and Linux. From the Portal, TF2, HL2 and L4D images it's a pretty big hint that Valve are putting source on it themselves.

I heard that the next Postal game is Source and ported to work on OSX and Linux. From the Portal, TF2, HL2 and L4D images it's a pretty big hint that Valve are putting source on it themselves.

I just don't see why you'd have a mac and expect to play games to begin with. You get like 2% of the games on the market.

I'm guessing...

... Apple finally has some descent DX9 wrapper libraries for OpenGL in the same matter that XBox 360 has OpenGL wrapper libraries.

I just don't see why you'd have a mac and expect to play games to begin with. You get like 2% of the games on the market.

I don't suspect that most mac owners bought the computer just to play games. The fact that they will be able to just creates another reason to buy one for those folks who are in the market for a new computer. It also just creates a new level of added value for those people who already have a Mac.

meh. don't care about mac osx support, because i won't pay $400 extra for the same hardware with a different operating system. i hope they make a native linux version of steam and the games, but im not holding my breath.

Back