Valvetime.net

Boys,i'm ok with the change of site,but if you do make it ugly,i will haunt you down,kidnap all of you,place you in a dark room with only 1 light bulb,you'll be unable to move,and i'll eat a lemon infront of you all,and after that will have an ice-cream too :D

Whole thing is being redone. New layout, new colours, new software. NEW NEW NEW.
Are you going to bring back the Beige colour layout? I liked that one much more than the current dark one.

Are you going to bring back the Beige colour layout? I liked that one much more than the current dark one.

It interests me whenever people mention the Tan / Beige theme simply because it wasn't that colour at all, it was Grey! The human eye is a funny thing, isn't it?

I'm not bringing back that theme specifically, but there will be more options coming. I was hoping to have them ready for launch, but I just can't physically put them together that fast, and it's a silly thing to hold the site up for. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but there will be some, ah, different options than what we have now, for sure.

What I might do, now that I'm thinking about it, because I have so many in mind, is set up a poll showcasing the mockups, and have people vote for the order that I should actually release them up. Might you guys like that?

It interests me whenever people mention the Tan / Beige theme simply because it wasn't that colour at all, it was Grey! The human eye is a funny thing, isn't it?

This is incorrect.

Observe these old samples I have extracted from a random old screencapture:

pJX8I.jpg
YjRoU.jpg

(excuse the jpg artifacting as these are very old and I was using mspaint to compress)

Using simple color analysis procedures we can conclude that the so-called 'tan theme' was indeed comprised of tan (and blue) hues.

This is what it would look like if it were actually grey:

xnMjE.jpg

(admittedly this actually looks nicer)

Ah, hrm, fair enough. I swore I looked at the actual colour once and it was grey. It is pretty damn close, though.

I'm not bringing back that theme specifically, but there will be more options coming. I was hoping to have them ready for launch, but I just can't physically put them together that fast, and it's a silly thing to hold the site up for. I don't want to spoil the surprise, but there will be some, ah, different options than what we have now, for sure.

What I might do, now that I'm thinking about it, because I have so many in mind, is set up a poll showcasing the mockups, and have people vote for the order that I should actually release them up. Might you guys like that?

I know Vegeta already did this but since I spent ages looking for this picture of the tan theme I'm going to post it anyway.
http://i.imgur.com/MCwje.jpg

Is the joke that ValveTime.net will never be released?

So are these literally the final hours of HL2.net?

I believe it is the end

when my local radio station was switching names they played this song the entire day. I say we do the same

Welcome to Lifetime.net. It's... safer here.

The unread messages/read messages icon looks like the side of a tie fighter.

Colour scheme makes me think of street cafes in winter, for some reason. Nice, though. Is that new or was it like this pre-rebrand?

Colour scheme makes me think of street cafes in winter, for some reason. Nice, though. Is that new or was it like this pre-rebrand?
Everything you see is brand new Brian Damage :)

Glad you like it.

Cool. The post headers are like... corduroy.

[EDIT]: Why am I a "Munro"? Didn't I used to be some gribbly thing or other from Half life 2 :p?

What are these rating things and why are they on my hl2.net?

Also, the quick post text box grey on white isn't very nice.

The color of this theme is fine, but what I don't like is that it has a fixed width. It just doesn't look good to me.

The color of this theme is fine, but what I don't like is that it has a fixed width. It just doesn't look good to me.
Hey thanks for the feedback.

We tried both fluid width, and a enormous 1200px fixed width and none looked good until we did it like this. We tested it for several weeks and this was definitely the best looking option, but unfortunately it is somewhat down to personal preference.

Cool. The post headers are like... corduroy.

[EDIT]: Why am I a "Munro"? Didn't I used to be some gribbly thing or other from Half life 2 :p?
Yes we changed them all to be more Valve related and they are now linked to Trophy points instead of posts. You've just levelled up it seems! You're now a tank, off of Left 4 Dead :)

Seems I just did too. I was a Spy a minute ago.

Pretty nice, but the light grey writing in the white box on dark grey background is a bit annoying to use. It seems too bright.

Pretty nice, but the light grey writing in the white box on dark grey background is a bit annoying to use. It seems too bright.

There are going to be more skins, but I didn't want to drag out the relaunch for them. I will be getting them up within the next few weeks, and probably having a thread that previews them / allows users to vote on which one they want first, so that I don't have to code them all at once.

Yes we changed them all to be more Valve related and they are now linked to Trophy points instead of posts. You've just levelled up it seems! You're now a tank, off of Left 4 Dead :)

Cool. I shall put the skillpoints into programming and then increase my Constitution score.

My God, everything is so new and shiny...

I have but one qualm. What is this white box doing behind my nice transparent avatar? I'm going to have to put a background on it now, aren't I? :| I like my perfectly spherical avatar damn it!

Hey thanks for the feedback.

We tried both fluid width, and a enormous 1200px fixed width and none looked good until we did it like this. We tested it for several weeks and this was definitely the best looking option, but unfortunately it is somewhat down to personal preference.
Is there an option to change this at all? Like in user's preferences or somewhere?

Liking the theme as well.

My God, everything is so new and shiny...

I have but one qualm. What is this white box doing behind my nice transparent avatar? I'm going to have to put a background on it now, aren't I? :| I like my perfectly spherical avatar damn it!
Ah yeah, sorry about that. If it helps, our background colour is #1a1a1a might work well for your avatar.

Is there an option to change this at all? Like in user's preferences or somewhere?

Liking the theme as well.
No, I'm sorry. We're sticking with fixed width for now.

Does linking your facebook profile do anything other than allowing people to stalk me more easily?

Does linking your facebook profile do anything other than allowing people to stalk me more easily?
Not even that.

You can associate, but we don't post anything to your Facebook and your Facebook details aren't shared with anyone here.

What it's for is an additional method to register or login to the forums.

So if you associate, as long as you're logged in to Facebook you will be auto signed in to ValveTime.

I think I'd prefer something lighter, like so (could be an optional theme):

vtlight.jpg

vtlight2.jpg

I think I'd prefer something lighter, like so (could be an optional theme):

vtlight.jpg

vtlight2.jpg
That's very nice!

As it happens, we'll be releasing further colour schemes over the next few weeks. The fist one will be a copy of the old Halflife2.net theme. Others, will be announced soon :)

One more thing. Could we get a bigger button to jump to the first unread post in a thread? Right now it's this little blue dot and it took me forever to even realize it was a button.

One more thing. Could we get a bigger button to jump to the first unread post in a thread? Right now it's this little blue dot and it took me forever to even realize it was a button.
What blue dot?

Can you make a screenshot and upload it? Sorry. I've spent so long looking at this site I should probably know exactly where it is!

Trophy points, ****ing really guys? I post here because I want to talk to you people, not because it strokes my e-dick. If I wanted to be patronized like an inattentive 12-year-old for my decision to post here, then I would go on the Steam Power forums. At the very least let me have the option of ignoring that shit.

I honestly didn't even know that was a thing. I'll be replacing it with a larger (and more appropriate) dot. I may also be removing Avatars from the left there, since they kind of stick out in a jarring way.

Trophy points, ****ing really guys? I post here because I want to talk to you people, not because it strokes my e-dick. If I wanted to be patronized like an inattentive 12-year-old for my decision to post here, then I would go on the Steam Power forums. At the very least let me have the option of ignoring that shit.
How exactly are they more pointless than postcount titles?

Back