vBulletin 4.0 Feedback

Not having my trusty "go" button at the bottom is bothering me more than anything... even more than not having the blue theme. Drives me crazy on other forums as well when I have to go back to the top just to click back to forum.

What most people want is for it to be stretched to the full width of your browser, like I showed in my screenshot. I understand that there are some people who will want a fixed width, because they browse the net with widescreen resolutions (to those people, I really recommend having your browser in windowed mode, taking up half or 2/3 of your screen. No website is designed for widescreen viewing, and you can put things like chat windows or what-have-you in the empty space where your browser isn't) and it's too much for the page to span that wide; it makes it not so easy to read.

I usually browse fullscreen with full width. You can read faster if blocks of text are more horizontal and you dont have to keep you eye moving from one line down to the next. I've never used fixed width for that reason. But yeah, the margins now make it annoying to read if its not full screen for me.

Really? I am honestly surprised by that. I can't stand reading something that stretches so wide, it's hard to go to the very next line easily because your eyes have to travel so far back.

It's much easier and faster to go to the next line when things aren't so wide, it more than makes up for the fact that you have to read more lines. For me, anyway.

The forums are 80% width because Glenn moaned.

Not having my trusty "go" button at the bottom is bothering me more than anything... even more than not having the blue theme. Drives me crazy on other forums as well when I have to go back to the top just to click back to forum.

I am very much in the same boat. Except for the blue theme that is.

Well, I guess my situation is unique. I'm using widescreen and I don't like fixed width or huge margins (like we have now) because I enlarge the text size. I'm at 1920x1080, and the text is too small to read by default. I use larger fonts on all websites (and in my OS as well).

So, with the font enlarged as it were, the fixed width scrunches everything together and I can't even fit full thread titles. So, I may compromise with slightly smaller fonts than I like.

But it's a waste of desktop. When I run the browser in 2/3 width - for example when I am reading from a text document and writing it to the browser (or the other way around), the large borders make that a waste of real estate. I often do work from a list when I'm on the internet... but not really with this website, so it's not terribly important after all.

If I'm honest, the large borders annoy me aesthetically more than anything.

As for the discussion about it being easier to read when lines are shorter: that may be true, but I don't care about that. I'd much rather move my eyes side to side, than scroll my damn browser window up and down. Again, I'm using 1080p, which doesn't have very much vertical space - especially when you use larger fonts like I do. Because when you increase the font size, you also increase the size of everything else - like all the borders and images.

I don't want to seem like I'm complaining or anything, just stating my case for smaller margins. The new layout is starting to grow on me. It's pretty nice, I guess.

The semi-liquid layout of the forum is a great choice. 100% width websites full of body content tend to be extremely annoying for larger resolutions. A max-width should usually be implemented. The forum looks great, by the way. My only complaint is the inconsistent padding.

Example
http://imgur.com/6e81a.jpg

I'd be fine with a max width of something like 1100 or 1200. But when the window is below that size, I don't want to see any margins.

20101014173136capture.jpg

Hmm, I see your point.

body {
color: #BFBFBF;
font-size: 12px;
line-height: 1.23;
margin: auto;
max-width: 1280px;
min-width: 650px;
}

...would be better than "width: 80%;"

Or an option to simply get rid of the max width might be a reachable compromise.

Edit - Another thing: the rollovers on action buttons get rid of the border on :hover, which moves the buttons slightly one way or another. Kinda annoying.

Is it possible to change the color back to blue? I logged on one day to find I was in a permanent black.

Whenever you click the linkity-link at the top-right corner of each post (the one that says #25 or whichever number) it loads the entire thread back up rather than just the post.

Whenever you click the linkity-link at the top-right corner of each post (the one that says #25 or whichever number) it loads the entire thread back up rather than just the post.

Strange, works fine here. What browser?

It loads a link that brings you right to the post you clicked on. I much prefer this method rather than only showing the single post like before.

It loads a link that brings you right to the post you clicked on. I much prefer this method rather than only showing the single post like before.
Yeah, I like it better now too. Sometimes, you want to show someone a particular post, yet the other posts may be relevant.

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but can the member names stand out a bit from the "Started by XXXXXX"?

20101014174844capture.png

They used to pop out at you, and I wish they still do.

If it is, why would we want to enable it?
It's easy. There are other vBulleting forums out there that use it and I love that feature. You can respond to someone's post and not have to check back if they actually responded.

after messing around a bit, the new forum update seems well worth it! I just wish the font was a lil larger, is there anyway to adjust it??

Larger!? It's already larger than it used to be. Any larger would look awful.

My vote goes to an option to choose between fixed width(like Vegeta/Leviathan suggested) and full width which I prefer. Or even better, Tan full width!

A vote for Tan is a vote for the Illuminati.

Live by the Blue, die by the Blue, dawg.

The color select pop-up freaks out a bit, especially when you highlight silver; which I just noticed is the default color, if that means anything.

lol then I really need to fix my contacts or get an eye exam. i'm not talking about the text font in the text boxes, just everything else. they look like size 8 font. like where it says peoples join date, post number, advanced search etc

It looks perfect to me, but I have everything zoomed in a step or two.

Oh my god! I need to be on top of things on this site more, because I had no idea we had a major revamp until now!

Good job staff, the site looks really good now.

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I miss one feature. When in a thread you clicked on a post number, it would load a new page with only that post on it. That was useful when there was a thread full of images (like A Photo a Day thread), but I didn't want to load all the images on a page, but only those from a new post. Plus sometimes images load halfway for me and stop, so that way I could just click the post number and do a ctrl+F5 to make a full reload of only the images from that post.

Would like that feature back.

lol then I really need to fix my contacts or get an eye exam. i'm not talking about the text font in the text boxes, just everything else. they look like size 8 font. like where it says peoples join date, post number, advanced search etc

Hit Ctrl-0 and see if that does anything for you.

Woah woah woah woah woah, what have you guys done with my forums?!?! D:

I went to reply to Krynn using the quick reply box. The site lagged for a bit then the post simply refreshed without my comment there. Now when I try to post it again it says that the post is duplicate and won't let me. Anyone had that kind of problem?

On edit: the last post for the politics forum shows to be mine. But the post doesnt exist. \Just tried posting again by changing the post a bit, same thing.

EDIT: The following problems seem to be gone now.

Yeah, I'm having some problems.

-When I make a post or edit a post, the action never seems to complete... it just sits there, loading the refreshed page. However, if I open the website in a new tab and visit the page, my post or edit is actually there.

-At least in the Games/Gaming Forum, Threads weren't showing the latest posts any more since these problems began a few hours ago. (for example, this thread might not show my name as the latest post).

Yeah, looks like my post showed up after a while. Weird.

Sometimes I'll make a post and it's placed 3 - 4 posts above the latest one.

Though revisiting the page fixes it, just a head's up etc.

Sometimes I'll make a post and it's placed 3 - 4 posts above the latest one.

Though revisiting the page fixes it, just a head's up etc.

You mean all the time, or just today when the site was buggin'? Because that's never happened to me.

It doesn't happen every time though I'm sure it's happened before today once or twice. I've noticed it in the Video Dump moreso than anywhere else.

Perhaps the YouTube embedding has to do with it? idk

It doesn't happen every time though I'm sure it's happened before today once or twice. I've noticed it in the Video Dump moreso than anywhere else.

Perhaps the YouTube embedding has to do with it? idk
Huh. It happened to me twice today (for the first and second time) in KA's birthday thread. (I can't think of a more appropriate place for glitch and disorder to occur)

Was kinda weird, but it appeared in the correct order when the page was refreshed.

The 'Reply', 'Edit' and 'Reply with Quote' buttons remove their black border when the mouse is over them. 'Multi-quote' however doesn't; I expect it to be a CSS problem.

Alright, so, issues

Images automatically resize, but don't yet auto-expand, which is a bit of a problem for threads where larger images are the norm and you don't need to be spoilering them

As noted, the black boxes around reply + edit disappear

The banner at the top of the page links to the main forum page, instead of the main page, which is totally ridiculous, there're already several very easy ways to get to the main forum index but the only way to get to the homepage currently are these tiny buttons down the botton
20101110111920capture.jpg

Thread title behaviour, especially for long threads, is quite odd - it's abbreviating but not leaving any sign that it's being abbreviated, so thread titles just cut off part way through. Either they need to end with [...] or something similar, or wrap to the next line.

Several text boxes still darken when you begin typing, which results in typing in black on a dark grey background.

Back