vBulletin 4.0 Feedback

Munro

ValveTime Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We are now running vBulletin 4.0 software for our forums. There are obviously some new changes and features. There are also a number of bugs we need to fix to get the forums displaying correctly. If you spot anything looking strange or want anything changed please let me know here.

Not going to nitpick at small things since it's only just gone up but I love it, great color scheme, great layout. Nice work! very fresh.

First of all: +100 for the new forums. They look great.

I suggest one change. Before the upgrade my mobile version of the forums had dynamic width which made for easy reading. After the upgrade the width seems fixed which means I have to scroll from left to right. That is kinda annoying.

Any new ideas or recommendations you guys may have would also be great, we've got a bit more freedom with vb4.

New post icons need to be brighter (not nearly enough contrast between read/unread). I'll give this more of a chance before I'm too critical of it. Thanks for the hard work getting this up.

Maybe it's because you are still working on it but the site seems to be running much slower.

one suggestion is, if possible to make the icons on the 'edit post| reply | reply with quote' buttons orange so they are easier to see. Other than that it's lookin' pretty good to me.

Looks great. Might take a few days to adjust to the changes, but hey, it's something new.

I'll be changing all the post icons but they wont be available until tomorrow.

Not sure if it's re-creatable for all, but entering my username/pass was black on gray and nearly impossible to decipher, would it be possible to change it to white?

Thanks for continuing to make my forum home and procrastination station more appealing...!

I also have to give props for making the banner on top link to the main forum page :)

ed: AH NEW SMILIES!

New layout and features is great, but is there any possibility to give an option to use any of the older layouts? In particular the dark one? Im on this forum 50% of my online experience. As i spend millions of hours a day on the internet, my eyes become uber sensitive to bright sites. The dark theme was really soothing for my eyes as i venture late into the night.

Need the old blue skin back ASAP as usual. :p

It's just not hl2.net without it!

(and these smiles suck)

Aaaand there's no way to back to the forum you were viewing from the bottom of the page anymore. There's a "top" button where "go" used to be... annoying!

Any new ideas or recommendations you guys may have would also be great, we've got a bit more freedom with vb4.

Can you make it so larger images which stretch beyond the sides of the page are resized and give a clickable link to the full size image in a new window? Apart from that it all looks great :)

On the latest refresh with the new icons on the front page and the orange colors and the fixed width it looks much much better. Liking it.

Still slow as hell though.

My only complaint would be the unadjustable width. I prefer if it was more condensed as it's harder to read when it's so spread out.

Actually ignore me on the speed issues, I was connected using VPN and that was slowing me down.

I would still like to see more contrast on the new thread icons. Maybe something like this:

93260869.jpg

Oh, yes. Having the search feature visible automatically just might reduce the amount of poor threads being created in the Episode Three forum. Thanks for that.

Don't forget the white thread icons, and how they fail at a simple task.

Here's what I've got so far

• Add an option or different themes to cater to people who want either a fixed width forum, or a dynamic width that doesn't have the big margins on the side. This current system is like a mix of both and nobody seems to like it.
  • Make the default font size smaller, like it used to be.
  • There's lots of vertical spacing within posts, see these images for some examples: http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/4784/20101012181137capture.jpg
    http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/7424/20101012181221capture.jpg
  • Random white bg color colums in the member list
  • The 'Reply' button under everyone's post seems totally useless. I mean, I guess it's kind of convenient that you can make a quickpost box pop up right under someone's post, but it's kind of misleading because it looks like your message is going to appear right under their post. And it's like you're replying to their post specifically, when in reality you aren't. Just have a quote and multiquote button like the old style, and have a quickreply box always at the bottom of the page.
  • Make the usernames in people's posts larger. There's plenty of room, given the 70x70 avatars.
  • I'm sure you're aware of this but the quick reply tool buttons are not on theme
  • These buttons: http://www.halflife2.net/forums/images/statusicon/thread_new-30.png are bad and I don't like them. I want to be able to easily see which threads are unread and which threads I've posted in. The icons in the old blue theme, for example, were very clear. They were also smaller (better)

Is it just me or have the different colour schemes disappeared (I might just be missing them in the options)?
If they have gone can we get the lighter one back, for some reason I find dark websites unnerving ;)

Quick navigation defaults to the current subforum, which is good, but it isn't clickable and the 'go' button is gone.

EDIT And basically everything Vegeta posted.

WYSIWYG editor buttons need to be themed properly. Black text on settings page will need to be recolored, but I'm sure you already knew about those things.

EDIT: Also how do I get to the user cp?

Images that go past the edge of the forum get cut off with no ability to scroll over (see big white image posted by Hokey at the end of the second to last page in the image dump)

EDIT: Also how do I get to the user cp?

Forum actions -> general settings

Or "Settings" at the very top right of the page next to the log out link.

Tapatalk!

When I'm on Page 2, I shouldn't be able to click on the "2" page selection at the top or bottom.

For the most part, though, I'm in love!

Images that go past the edge of the forum get cut off with no ability to scroll over (see big white image posted by Hokey at the end of the second to last page in the image dump)

This is false. There is a scrollbar at the bottom of posts that contain images that are too wide for the post.

I don't blame you for not noticing, though. Things are kind of cluttered.

I clicked on the forum button from the homepage.

I was like "woah."

Reduce padding of post text area on the bottom, and increase it a little on the top.

Having Join Date/Location/Posts and then the respective info for each of these fields aligned separately looks bad. The old style where there is only a single space between "Join Date" and "Dec 2003" looked better.

:D :) :eek:

These smileys are awful. If we don't get the old colon-D smiley back instead of :D I will kill myself.

Other than that I mostly like it.

Only real suggestions are to have dynamic width's and bring back blue theme option. That's about it.

Edit: Ooo. I like the "multi-quote" option. If it was there before, sorry if I'm blind and didn't see that.

I want my blue theme back. :(

EDIT: I don't have permission to enter my Forum Actions -> General Settings on my profile? Must be an Anti-Citizen thing.

I like change when its good, and this all seems pretty cool. great work so far! I'm sure there are kinks but so far so good

I agree about the width, except it seems I'm the only person whose page got shrunk due to it. (crappy laptop defaults to huge resolution, looks like crap at any lower resolution).

And also the smilies like others mentioned. For some reason it's very difficult for me to distinguish any facial features on the dull-yellow ones.

On the positive side, I like that links are now a noticeably different color than regular text.

Thread icons are too large! Draws too much attention away from the thread titles.

When are we going to be able to change to the old themes?

I am going to kill you and consign you to the eternal darkness of the unending void, was what I had in mind when I first saw this.

But then I realized that I always hate change, so I'm gonna give this a try. Until I get used to it though, I'll be opening that dark portal.

Back