What's cooking HL2.net?

Rizzo

Tank
Reaction score
So, new year is near, and I was just wondering if anyone had any sweet recipies they wanted to share.

I think I will fix up a nice Panna cotta. It's easy and pretty fast. Also it can make you sound all douchy chef if you want, and it can also be pretty tasty. Basicly boil some cream, with sugar and equal parts milk. I tried Creme Fraiche instead of milk once becouse I read somewhere that you could. I guess there are thusands of ways you could make it. Also by mixing in some chocolate in there. And finally some gelatin to give it some gel form.

So, what are you guys baking?

I've been on a prime rib binge these last couple of weeks since it's been on sale.

Been a while since I made a pav. Maybe I should make a pav.

mmm pav. It's the right season for it.

I think these are my favorite dessert recipes:
Chocolate puddle cookies
Mexican wedding cakes/Russian tea cakes
Ridiculously easy apple pie -- You can make your own crust if you want. I don't because I'm lazy.

Last two are most New Years -ish, I guess.

Also this isn't baking but some kinda jello always seems appropriate for New Year's. I like this Strawberry - Ginger Ale thing, but strawberries aren't really in season now.

And I plan to make none of these because I'm not doing anything for New Year's aside from studying and stockpiling food.

It doesn't have to just desserts. If you got any nice dinner recepies I'd love to hear them too.

And that strawberry Jello thing looks fantastic.

Soup and bread nom

Nice 4 root soup, its great and then some home made bread on the side. Its made of pure win.

I've only had fishsticks frozen in a box, so no... not a huge fan :)
And sadly I don't have any good real-food recipes on me. I think the only nice thing I've made was shrimp. Defrost & rinse them, soak in a little bit of cooking wine. Olive oil in a pan and simmer some garlic in it. Then put the shrimp in. Easy and fast, but shrimp can be pricey.

I think my sister has made parmesan chicken and lasagna for parties before.

And I'll ask here since your panna cotta has gelatin in it -- do you use the powder gelatin stuff, and if so, how do you get it to dissolve/mix properly? Whenever I make any jellos like that strawberry thing, they always end up with some chewy gelatin bits floating around :\

Last night I made hamburgers and we didn't have anything to go with it. So on a whim I picked out about 5 potatoes, washed them, then sliced them into nice sized slivers. Put them on a baking sheet made for fries, drizzled them with olive oil, then added rosemary, italian seasoning, basil, and some garlic salt on top on them. Put them in the oven at 400 degrees farenheit and cooked them until they were soft. They were so delicious and much healthier than store bought deep fried french fries.

Tip: If you want better tasting AND healthier french fries, buy a baking sheet made for fries (it is essentially a rounded pan with holes on the bottom). Put your fries in a single layer on the sheet, and add whatever seasonings you want. I usually add some garlic salt, blackened seasoning, and some italian seasoning. Follow the directions on the package for what it says to do in the oven. Once they come out they are nice and seasoned and not greasy at all. They are much healthier than deep frying them and with the added seasoning, they taste much better. I will never deep fry french fries again in my life.

Dice up an onion and a pepper (bell pepper, spanish pepper, whatever you like best). Squash two or three pegs of garlic. Get some bacon and cut it into 1 inch pieces. Put a frying pan on the stove with a little oil. Add the onion and garlic when the oil is hot. Stir fry for about a minute or so. Add the bacon. Stir fry for another two or three minutes. Add the pepper. Stir fry for another minute. Add some tomato paste and herbs of choice (oregano, rosemary, thyme ... your typical Mediterranean stuff). Let simmer for about five minutes. Add water if the sauce is too thick or remove the lid of the pan when it is too runny. Add the sauce and maybe a little grated cheese to your choice of pasta.

Pro tip: Cooking the sauce usually takes about as long as cooking the pasta, so the first thing you should do when you enter the kitchen is put on a pan of water. Then do your other preparations so the water will be boiling when you're done with those.

This is one gay ass thread.

@ Dfc

I used a gelatin leaf, or sheet or whatever it's called. You're supposed to soak it in water first for some reason but I never did.

@Shakermaker

Your ass is gay. That pasta thing sounds good though.

The **** is a pav?

-lova.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

ryIEc.jpg

Those look really good but I've never gotten around to making, and I'd feel bad about the leftover egg yolks. Do you do anything with them? Only recipes I've ever found were egg custard which I totally failed at twice, and devil's food cake which is a little excessive after already baking something with the whites.

I seriously still have no idea what that means. I googled pav and the only thing coming up was some indian bread or something. google lova and you get some ****ed up shit. The image name fail to give any hint as well.
It kinda looks like some Meringue cake.

Two toasts, well, slices of toast... Well actually, I guess they're breads that got too hot. Take two hot breads, put on butter, you'll want butter on both toasts because butter's tasty, then what you're gonna do is put cheese on the slices there and melt them a bit, microwave of cigarette lighters or something.

Anyway, melt the cheese, then you're gonna put chicken nuggets in there. 4 or so should cover the bread well enough. Then when you've got your toasts and your cheese and your nuggets, you shove them all together and stick em down your gob.

1. Buy steak of any type. My preference is usually ribeye (lots of delicious flavor) but whatever's on sale is also a good choice. Prime rib, filet, sirloin, whatever.
2. Purchase a few potatoes. I like red potatoes the best.
2b. vegetable option: if desired, purchase/prepare additional vegetable (or be a boss and add caesar salad).
3. Chop potatoes into small pieces, add seasoning (I add whatever is around, salt, pepper, garlic, etc) and fry for 20 or so minutes in butter or olive oil on low/med heat until done.
4. Cook steak over charcoal grill to desired tenderness (me: medium rare), with or without seasoning (Montreal steak seasoning is my go-to but a lot of times I just enjoy tasty steak flavor, or a bit of salt). If you don't have a grill or you're lazy frying it at medium/high in a frying pan in butter is also acceptable.
5. Devour.

Cooking meat is my only real culinary skill. I'm pretty good at cooking meat over a fire or grill or stove but beyond that I can really just make pasta and other basic shit like that. I kind of want to learn to cook well though, I love eating good food and my dad's a great cook.

I try to view cooking like alchemy. Every item has certain properties, and when mixed with others it may produce emergent properties of the good or bad kind. And the dose makes the poison; too much of something can kill you(r tastebuds). Prepare your ingredients, apply heat as an energy source, and oil as a catalyst as necessary, and then it's logic all the way down.

That said, I'm terrible at cooking meat for some reason and can only really manage veggies and pasta and so on. Right now I'm eating box cookies that I no longer hunger for. Tomorrow I'll probably make some hot breads for breakfast.

MMM Sounds good Ennui, might try it with a Kangaroo steak next time I'm in Aus, they're bloody delicious.

Had some chinese noodles with a light taste, so I added a side of Cheez-its! Not terrible.

1. Buy steak of any type. My preference is usually ribeye (lots of delicious flavor) but whatever's on sale is also a good choice. Prime rib, filet, sirloin, whatever.
2. Purchase a few potatoes. I like red potatoes the best.
2b. vegetable option: if desired, purchase/prepare additional vegetable (or be a boss and add caesar salad).
3. Chop potatoes into small pieces, add seasoning (I add whatever is around, salt, pepper, garlic, etc) and fry for 20 or so minutes in butter or olive oil on low/med heat until done.
4. Cook steak over charcoal grill to desired tenderness (me: medium rare), with or without seasoning (Montreal steak seasoning is my go-to but a lot of times I just enjoy tasty steak flavor, or a bit of salt). If you don't have a grill or you're lazy frying it at medium/high in a frying pan in butter is also acceptable.
5. Devour.

Cooking meat is my only real culinary skill. I'm pretty good at cooking meat over a fire or grill or stove but beyond that I can really just make pasta and other basic shit like that. I kind of want to learn to cook well though, I love eating good food and my dad's a great cook.

You're my ****ing twin. Well, except for the drugs :p

Bump

197450_1914557389982_1423362358_32192635_4013359_n.jpg

If any of you have ever eaten at Carrabbas this is their Chicken Bryan. I remade it by hand tonight and it was amazingly delicious.

99% of my meals are made up of some combination of the following indigents: Rice, spaghetti, potatoes, bacon, chicken, steak (rarely), meatballs, minced meats, mashed tomatoes, onions and cooking cream.

99% of my meals are made up of some combination of the following indigents: Rice, spaghetti, potatoes, bacon, chicken, steak (rarely), meatballs, minced meats, mashed tomatoes, onions and cooking cream.

7RalN.png

oyXj8.jpg

I'm guessing you cook like the rest of Sweden?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3d-qENAaNbM

Supermarkets are too damn expensive here. I've been living off spaghetti, bacon and eggs for the past month.

Back