Which director would you hire for a Half-Life movie/series?

Jerry_111

Reaction score
I submit Neil Blomkamp, whose only theatrical movie to date has been District 9.

Christopher Nolan, but i doubt that somebody of his caliber would ever attempt to make a movie based on a game. Well, unless his career took a turn for the worse. Look at his record though, that it is unlikely to happen any time soon. If at all.

Didn't Tarantino express his interest in Half Life a few years ago? He wouldn't be a bad candidate either since the original game and its expansion packs drew inspiration from his film making.

Christopher Nolan, but i doubt that somebody of his caliber would ever attempt to make a movie based on a game. Well, unless his career took a turn for the worse. Look at his record though, that it is unlikely to happen any time soon. If at all.

Christopher Nolan came to my school (Guildhall at SMU) a couple of years ago and gave a lecture on how video games are terrible because they're terrible at telling stories. Maybe he'd see it as a worthy challenge, lol.

Michael Ba-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Whoever directed Children of Men.

Alfonso Cuaron. He'd do a great job I reckon.

Michel Gondry would be great as well. He's able to look at it and think differently than most directors, but I'd be worried about him putting his odd visual stamps on it.

Don't want it to look like Science of Sleep or the quirkier parts of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, but I don't want him to take his brain and apply to the Half-life film with making it seem "too indie" if any of that makes sense?

Bigelow could probably do a good job too.

Wachowski brothers probably. Christopher Nolan makes any movie golden but he'd never pick it up. If it was 1992 I'd say James Cameron, but today... I'd definitely not say that.

I can't see it being a Tarantino movie. I can't see how the original HL was modeled after Tarantino movies. I mean every Tarantino movie is filled with scenes of extended dialogue with drawn out action scenes in between. It basically just alternates. HL had almost no dialogue and action was fairly evenly spread an consistent. I don't see it at all really...

Also main character would by necessity be Barney Calhoun, ideally played by Sam Rockwell.

I can't see it being a Tarantino movie. I can't see how the original HL was modeled after Tarantino movies. I mean every Tarantino movie is filled with scenes of extended dialogue with drawn out action scenes in between. It basically just alternates. HL had almost no dialogue and action was fairly evenly spread an consistent. I don't see it at all really...

I believe it appealed to him because you got to see the game from different perspectives.
Like many of his movies. Hence the comparison.

It would suck no matter who did it, so I'd go with Jason Friedberg so that I'd have no trouble in keeping myself from watching it.

That'd be good, telling a story of freeman from a 3rd person perspective.

Freeman shouldn't come into it, or juts as a cameo. Like in Blue Shift.

Not that I'd love for a half-life film to be made, but if it were that would be for the best.

Obviously Neilly would be the guy to direct such a film.

Paul Greengrass. Watch his Bloody Sunday and imagine a film which extended the initial experiment disaster (which in the game takes ten minutes) into a panicky first half hour. You know he's got the chops for it!

Cuaron might do well too - his films are quite varied in style and he could probably adapt himself to whatever the project required with skill. Or Danny Boyle, for similar reasons. His strength is imitation and pastiche, rifling through genre conventions to produce something new and exciting.

Writer =/= Director.

Yeah thanks I'm aware. But I still think he would make a good director. There are many great movies where the writer is also the director.

Paul Greengrass. Watch his Bloody Sunday and imagine a film which extended the initial experiment disaster (which in the game takes ten minutes) into a panicky first half hour. You know he's got the chops for it!

Yeah, Paul Greengrass would be ace as well.

I think you mean Marc Laidlaw.

Marc Laidlaw.

He was sole writer on Half-Life and Half-Life 2, and lead writer for the Half-Life 2 Episodes.

Nope. We mean Gabe Newell.

Other fat directors include Orson Welles, Alfred Hitchcock and Guillermo Del Toro. You have to admit it bodes well.

Other fat directors include Orson Welles, Alfred Hitchcock and Guillermo Del Toro. You have to admit it bodes well.

Don't forget Peter Jackson and Kevin Smith though.

I think Peter lost a fair bit of weight actually.

He has,

pjackson.jpg

Flippin wow. That's an impressive amount of weight to lose. Normally fatty mcfattersons get to a you're-still-kinda-fat weight and plateau. He went down to he-might-need-a-sammich weight. That's hollywood for you though. I wish I was famous enough to have someone constantly cater meals to me that are delicious and healthy. Or I wish there was cheap health fast food places. I don't think I'd want to eat a salad for every meal.

Fat or skinny I don't think he'd be a good HL director. At least not any better than any other random director.

I don't think anyone said he would be, just added him to the "fat directors" tangent.

Uwe Boll ..no really, no ones ever made a good video game film adaptation so why bother? it'll just be a pale imitation of the game starring someone like Shia LaBeouf or Ben Affleck

"you complete me, Alyx Vance"

why would you want this?

Back