Which new car is most like my '91 civic hatchback?

Dan

Tank
Reaction score
I'm starting to look at new cars. Probably won't by one right now, but maybe in the near future. I'm not much of a motorhead though. Currently I have a '91 Honda Civic hatchback 4 speed manual handed down from my grandpa to my dad to me. I like it a lot, and it gets great mileage, but it's starting to show some of its age. Rust is coming through the paint, there's an oil leak that would apparently require an engine overhaul to fix, and it has no radio, no right mirror, and no 5th gear. But other than that I love it. What would be the modern day equivalent? Mazda 2? Yaris?

Not quite the equivalent, but a Fiesta or even a Focus would be good, both good cars and with the right engine very economical.

Wait, you own a car? I thought you just biked everywhere.

I'd highly recommend going with a Mazda. I'm not sure what you're willing to spend but in terms of reliability they are typically great cars. I own a 5-speed 2004 Mazda6 and I have no intentions of getting rid of it any time soon. Just don't do what I did and buy an automatic RX8. The paddle shifters are cool for 5 minutes until you realize how stupid they are.

I absolutely love Honda CRVs. I'm currently on my second first gen. It's basically a Civic EG hatch with a few extra inches of ground clearance, and a shitload more space inside.

Only the first and second generations are really worth your while IMO. If you buy a first gen though, it HAS to have the higher compression B20z as opposed to the B20b.

I'm starting to look at new cars. Probably won't by one right now, but maybe in the near future. I'm not much of a motorhead though. Currently I have a '91 Honda Civic hatchback 4 speed manual handed down from my grandpa to my dad to me. I like it a lot, and it gets great mileage, but it's starting to show some of its age. Rust is coming through the paint, there's an oil leak that would apparently require an engine overhaul to fix, and it has no radio, no right mirror, and no 5th gear. But other than that I love it. What would be the modern day equivalent? Mazda 2? Yaris?
New used car, or new new car?

Back