Woman Hangs Dog For Chewing Bible

Well you can, it is possible, it's just that doing so makes you an idiot, and also contradicts some things you've already said.

Hitler was a vegetarian.

Damn right you just got Godwin'd.

I can be against a religion for crimes their followers have committed can't I? Killing a dog, for one.

Yes of course. We already know Islam is entirely bad because some of their followers blow themselves up and Catholicism, well! Some of them touch kiddies so obviously that religion is awful too.

Oh and I know a Hindu man who was a thief. Hinduism is also bad.

Wait, so because I am Buddhist that makes me a hypocrite for bashing the church? I haven't denied that the church proclaims to teach more or less the same thing as my religion, but I can be against a religion for crimes their followers have committed can't I? Killing a dog, for one.
No you can't. Well, you can, but like Sheepo said, it makes you an idiot. I don't judge Buddhism, or other Buddhists based on your actions here. Seeing you prance around with a "Buddhism is da best!" slogan written on your shirt doesn't make me think all Buddhists are silly twits. I'm not an idiot like that. Also, as a side note, this has nothing to do with what I said in your quote.

Does bashing another religion compare to murdering a dog? I may have been hypocritical in terms of "love & kindness ftw", I'll admit to that. But I am disgusted by the actions of this christian. It's when I hear about people like this that it makes me glad I'm not one of them. Maybe I was too broad in my generalization (Christianity = Bad, Buddhism = Good), I'll admit to that too.
But I have my religion, it makes sense to me, & I'm proud. As I'm sure many of the good Christians are too.

Nobody said bashing another religion compares to killing a dog. Not sure where you saw that. I'm glad that you admit your hypocrisy though. Let me ask you, if a Buddhist killed a dog for some baloney religious reason, would you then be ashamed you ARE one of them? Is your confidence in your religion, and indeed all religions so shakey that one person can make you doubt and feel shame for practicing the same way as you, despite being wholly unrelated in every other way? As for you being proud that you're a Buddhist, well, if you still value pride then you've got a long way to go in your religion. Frankly, I'm surprised 16 years of it, including all of your formative years hasn't gotten rid of that aspect of your ego. You may want to seek a better teacher than whoever you've been going to this whole time.

agreed- I judge a religion by it's teachings not the actions of one or more of it's followers,

believing there's a guy sitting on a cloud who cares,

And sorry for the late one but can I just interject and point out that no theologically sound Christian belives in "a guy sitting on a cloud", this is possibly the biggest lie about theism- that God stipulates "an invisible man in the sky" and all that crap.

I see a LOT of buddhists, and buddhist monks around here.

I'm pretty sure non of them are like JUL3.

Man, Jedi are dicks. Did you see what that one Vader guy did? Just wait and see if I ever tick that box in the census again.

Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, Jedi, Hindus, and every single other denomination are susceptible to mental illness.

"Why is it that when I talk to god it's called praying, but when he talks back it's called mental illness?"

sorry for the late one but can I just interject and point out that no theologically sound Christian belives in "a guy sitting on a cloud", this is possibly the biggest lie about theism- that God stipulates "an invisible man in the sky" and all that crap.

Unfortunately the biggest anti-religionists are usually the ones who know absolutely nothing about it.

agreed- I judge a religion by it's teachings not the actions of one or more of it's followers,

And sorry for the late one but can I just interject and point out that no theologically sound Christian belives in "a guy sitting on a cloud", this is possibly the biggest lie about theism- that God stipulates "an invisible man in the sky" and all that crap.

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God - Hebrews 12:2

you can see where this idea comes from. and there's a hell of lot more far fetched stuff in the bible than god sitting on a cloud

Some branches of Christianity teach that Christianity in it's most basic form is accepting that we are a creation of God. You can call yourself a Christian (and quite rightly if you follow particular branches) along with believing in what Science teaches.

The one thing that I've found curious is that some branches say people who do or do not believe certain parts are not considered "true" christians. Who has the right to say who is a "true" christian?

The one thing that I've found curious is that some branches say people who do or do not believe certain parts are not considered "true" christians. Who has the right to say who is a "true" christian?

Well this is the same as Muslims telling Christians they're wrong or Hindus saying Judaism is wrong. There's nothing curious about it. Different branches disagree as much as different religions.

Heard of the violence that's gone on between Catholics and Protestants in Ireland?

Nobody has the right to say what is true in religion. People just claim they do.

Who has the right to say who is a "true" christian?

Uh, everybody. Who is to say I'm not a republican? Everybody. Just because I go around saying I am a republican, even if I wholly believe it, I most certainly am not. If you don't adhere to most of the basic tenants of something, then you are not truly a member of that something, regardless of what you think.

That wasn't about religion so much as the Brits invading our country. But I guess religion is just a way of exacerbating your national culture. When your nationality is under threat, your religion can be one of the things you use to accentuate it.

Well, Ireland was just an example. England has had its fair share as well - Conflict of interests between Catholicism and Protestantism played a part in the English Civil Wars.

Anyway, the point still is that branches of particular religions can be as differential as completely alternate religions. So all of this "True Christian" etc. business is just complete nonsense to me.

I could believe that a giant purple space monkey sharted out the universe and someone else could believe that it was created by the magical tupperware krill. Just because I say the monkey is the real deal doesn't make it fact.

Just like one branch of a religion saying they're right and another is wrong and untrue doesn't make it fact. It's just opinion. Nobody has "the right" to proclaim it as the be all and end all, really.

I mean they can if they want but if I want I can tell everyone to suck my balls, doesn't mean they will. Doesn't take away anyone else's right to say it. None have rights over the other.

If only people would just believe what they believe without persecuting the beliefs of others, eh?

Christians, Buddhists, Muslims, Jedi, Hindus, and every single other denomination are susceptible to mental illness. Sure, her mental illness was concerned with her obsession with Christianity, in the same way that an OCD person's mental illness may be concerned with their obsession with cleanliness. That doesn't mean cleaning is bad. It doesn't mean Christianity is bad. This crime came from her, not from her church.
I was about to be really angry until I realised you weren't saying religious folk are more likely than atheists to be susceptible to mental illness.

Yeah. I don't think casual self-delusion is really classed as an illness.
attachment.php

[x] Snide, under-handed comment on religion.
[ ] Devolution into pointless quote war.

A Slight Update

Getting a few quotes now.

"She wasn't right in the head, she just interpreted the Bible in her own way," neighbor John Worthy said. "She's not a monster, she is good natured."
"I just think she needs a lot of help because I don't condone what she did," Worthy said. "I've had dogs all my life but I don't know if jail is the best place for her. She needs help."
From this article.

and in contrast:

Smith is the first person is [sic] Spartanburg County to face a felony charge under South Carolina's tougher animal cruelty law, said Jaime Nelson, director of the county's Environmental Enforcement Department.

Smith's mental state will likely affect what kind of penalties she faces, Nelson added. He said he was stunned by how flat the woman's emotions sounded as she recounted on tape what happened to the dog.

"She just acted like - what's done has been done," Nelson said.
From here.

So, what do we think, children?

I think she's a narcissist and a sociopath, and needs rehabilitation.

I'm not sure if jail is too harsh or not. She might be crazy but... she still murdered a dog. Maybe not the full 5 years but definitely rehab, in my opinion.

We kill shit all the time, insects, mice, rats, whatever. What makes dogs any different? You guys wouldn't have cared if she destroyed a colony of ants or expelled a tapeworm from her body. I mean, I've got a box of frozen puppies in my trunk, I don't see the issue.

We kill shit all the time, insects, mice, rats, whatever. What makes dogs any different? You guys wouldn't have cared if she destroyed a colony of ants or expelled a tapeworm from her body. I mean, I've got a box of frozen puppies in my trunk, I don't see the issue.

Not really without logical reason we don't, unless we're either sadistic or children. Most people kill insects because they infest their house and cause nuisance - same with rats and mice. Tapeworms we don't really kill unless they're inside us, again, parasitic - reason. Not to mention that it's not against the law to kill pests, like it is with a dog that you're supposed to look after, not hang from a tree.

She killed a young boy's dog, which he was probably fond of, for a reason that was illogical to most people of sound mind. This is why people have an issue. It was a crime and the dog did nothing wrong really.

Yeah, but those are horrible analogies. Do most people have ants or tapeworms as pets? Are most people fine with mice and rats running about in their homes, leaving feces on the floor, making holes in the furniture, and causing damage to the place? Do you ever hear about pesticides that kill dogs instead of ants, mice, or rats? Of course not. Dogs are not pests, but everything you listed above is.

Now, if those certain animals were contained inside of something, there would be no reason to kill them, either.

I once had an art farm, they never grew anything.

I once had an art farm, they never grew anything.

Well, artists are the laziest of people. I am surprised you were able to collect them into a farm though, without some sort of human rights violations.

You would be surprised what some artists would willingly do for free drugs, Krynn.

Back