Xbox One

Mogi67

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Seriously? What an awful name! I understand that the idea is that it's supposed to be a complete entertainment center, hence the concept of "oneness", but it's going to cause some confusion. Whenever I am talking about the original Playstation I can say the "PS1" or "playstation one" and people will know what I talking about. I'm already experiencing some cognitive dissonance - I see "Xbox One" and I think of this:

xbox.jpg

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?

Not much, evidently. Today was all about how they're turning it into a cable box for TV and using voice commands to replace the keyboard on a computer. Because they just really seem to want to replace the desktop PC.

Anyone noticed how hideous the new Kinect looks? Good thing nobody will notice it.

You can't see it since the thing will be shoved in a cardboard box at the bottom of your cupboard.

Anyone noticed how hideous the new Kinect looks? Good thing nobody will notice it.

You can't see it since the thing will be shoved in a cardboard box at the bottom of your cupboard.

"Xbox One Will Not Function Without Kinect Attached"

:poop:

Oh..... oh my god...... I didn't think even Microsoft would....... jesus I need to get drunk before watching the livestream recording because what I'm reading here and in reddit comments is hurting me

Oh man.... I've just spent the last 2 hours listening to my 'PS lover' mates piss all over this at the pub. And you know what.... I couldn't give a shit. About the best laugh/comment made all night was mentioned/echoed by Lobster. Never wanted and XBox before, even less likely now.....
Am gonna take my drunk ass to bed methinks.... Maybe it'll all be a bad dream by morning time...

Oh..... oh my god...... I didn't think even Microsoft would....... jesus I need to get drunk before watching the livestream recording because what I'm reading here and in reddit comments is hurting me
The future of entertainment.

Or so we're supposed to believe.

I watched it. Buzzwords: The Presentation. No gameplay, scripted applause, and a bunch of shit that nobody actually needs in a console. I can't even bring myself to make fun of it. I just want to forget that Microsoft exists now. At least they're taking EA with them.

[edit] The more I think about it the more I actually get angry about this bullshit. This guy is channeling what I feel right now. Jesus ****.

The few times I've watched Angry Joe videos, he's always seemed like a try-hard. But his rage was pretty legit in that video.

Seems like its going to be a terrible console though.

I really hate the way he says "liderally."

Jesus christ though, at least no one can accuse him of phoning in the anger on his "proper" videos (and by "proper" I mean the spaceship greenscreen superman shirt things). Dude's approaching Spoony levels of hey-chill-the-****-out-it's-games-bro.

But yeah the Xbox thing is pretty dumb too.

Edit: The enthusiasm is palpable.

BvMDR5P.jpg

"Hey everyone we want you to buy our new VHS player which requires you to have a camera in your room at all times to identify you. We are also going to make you buy games which rely on our cloud servers to run properly."

"Pre-order now at gamestop and you'll be one of the very few who get to play on our exclusive servers that wont meltdown on launch."

Long live Steam. Long live Valve. Long Live Linux. As much I complain about Valve, they are still the best gaming company there is and one of the best companies overall. I can't wait for the Steambox announcement.

To be honest, I like the way it looks. High end VCRs were pretty awesome looking.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING?
BqbwPfD.jpg

I like the idea of triggers with haptic feedback. Other than that everything was very boring and the only exclusive they had was Forza. It's very obvious this announcement was not intended for core gamers but for a broader audience. I'll withhold judgement till E3. That said no matter what they announce it's fairly likely that if I'm buying a console in the next year or two it'll be a Playstation 3 or Wii U.

Yeah if anything I really dig the physical design of it. Sadly everything else sounds like balls.

Physical design is nice until you realise it's actually bigger than the original Xbox. The one that coined the phrase "huge like xbox."

I would like to see a dissection just to find out why it needs to be so god damn large. I really don't get it. Unless it has like, space for 5 extra hard drives or something.

I would like to see a dissection just to find out why it needs to be so god damn large. I really don't get it. Unless it has like, space for 5 extra hard drives or something.
Not unless every single one of them is a 100GB hard drive.

500GB, the future is here ladies and gentlemen.

Thanks for the warnings Max Headroom. I'm gonna jack it straight into the camera. Input that, Microsoft.

The few times I've watched Angry Joe videos, he's always seemed like a try-hard.

Yeah I agree, I could only watch a few minutes of that before needing to move on to something else.

Anyways, while I do think a lot of the features they mentioned aren't going to be all that meaningful to me, I'm still reserving judgement until we get more official statements about used games, offline gaming, the price of the console, and of course more game announcements. At the very least I'm happy that a new set of consoles is coming out if only to push the industry forward. Now multiplatform games won't have to deal with working on 8 year old consoles for a while.

Personally I cant wait to buy this thing, I mean seriously voice/facial recognition? That's like one step away from Hal 9000 and Warp Drive, especially if it has a voice option that greets me when I turn it on :) I'm probably going to have to overhall my entire gaming/internet setup, to get the damn thing to work, but it'll be worth it.

It's probably so huge because they want to ensure an RROD-type crisis won't lose them hundreds of millions of dollars again.

the only comment i will make is this:

the XO/PS4 is not backwards compatible because of the PowerPC/Cell Processing architecture the 360/PS3 uses.

that is why the XO/PS4 is not backwards compatible with the 360/PS3. it is why 360/PS3 games couldnt be easily ported to PCs and the x86/x64 architecture that is now used by the XO/PS4.

the development costs to make them backwards compatible obviously outweighs the profit they would get out of it, or else Microsoft/Sony would make the XO/PS4 backwards compatible.

its laziness and poor decision making on Microsoft/Sony's part.

why microsoft/sony backed motorola instead of intel in 2005 is beyond me...

the only plausible conclusion is they felt the PowerPC/Cell architecture would cut out pirating since they would be closed software/hardware environments that are completely separate from the x86/x64 architecture that PC's use.

now that the XO/PS4 runs on x86...they are ****ing themselves in the asshole.

all of the other horrible news coming out of the XO reveal can be subsided because of how insanely out of touch corporate executives must be in order to not see this coming.

these are the guys leading the industry. what does that say about our industry?

XO doesn't make sense as an abbreviation, and sounds stupid.

XBox Live is abbreviated as XBL, so this should be XBO at the least.

youre right, i am only going by the abbriviation im seeing the most heh

whether is X1 or XBO or whatever, it is an....interesting...marketing choice by microsoft; to say the least.

only other thing ill add is that the "if youre backwards compatible, youre really backwards" quote from Don Mattick, who is Head of the Xbox Division, is just as appalling as the Adam Orth quote.

I like XO because it's like Microsoft is giving everyone hugs and kisses. :3

now that the XO/PS4 runs on x86...they are ****ing themselves in the asshole.

I was following your post up until this part, how do you mean? Like, in terms of piracy? I felt like it was a good move in terms of development since it'd be much easier on third party developers, especially compared to the PS3, and also make porting to other platforms more straight-forward.

Edit: Or wait, do you mean x86 as opposed to 64?

Another edit: Wait, don't they both have like 8gb of ram?

Back