Xbox One

Microsoft tells Kotaku that the used-game fee will basically be the price of the game itself.

But what if you want to bring a game disc to a friend's house and play there? You'll have to pay a fee—and not just some sort of activation fee, but the actual price of that game—in order to use a game's code on a friend's account.

Think of it like a new game, Harrison said.

"The bits that are on that disc, you can give it to your friend and they can install it on an Xbox One," he said. "They would then have to purchase the right to play that game through Xbox Live."

"They would be paying the same price we paid, or less?" we asked.

"Let’s assume it’s a new game, so the answer is yes, it will be the same price," Harrison said.

http://kotaku.com/you-will-be-able-to-trade-xbox-one-games-online-micros-509140825

Fail. Jesus...christ...

Now I guess the key is "Let's assume it's a new game...", so I would expect you get to pay a lower price to activate the 2nd hand game as the game gets older, and in fairness, this kind of blocks people having someone buy the game at full price, then dishing said game out amongst their friends at a lower price on release day for example, but still...

This is a massive blow for gamers. Why anyone would choose this over the PS4 now is beyond me.

I mean I know Sony have yet to reveal their DRM, which they inevitably will (as I suspect the REAL answer to the used game issue for the PS4 will be "You don't have to pay to play used games on the PS4....if you are subscribed to PS+"), but I really believe first impressions and mind share are extremely important here.

With most of their new features not even working overseas (hellooooooooo Microsoft, Europe here, waving our arms going "wtf about us? We don't even watch the crap that is the NFL! AND WE MAKE UP THE MAJORITY OF YOUR SALES!"), ridiculous DRM, bad first impressions...

I think the PS4 has already won. This will never be forgotten, no matter what the apologists say. "Oh it's all going to be at E3, that will change our minds and we'll forget this whole reveal thing right away."

No.

No we won't, and E3 won't save Microsoft.

The comment section of articles on the Xbox One for the next 8 years, or however long the cycle of this "next" gen will be (ironically not next gen, more like current gen), will be flooded with trolling against the Xnone. That will NEVER go away, for the rest of time now.

You've given gamers the ultimate ammo to troll against Xbox fans.

[Edit] I actually have no doubt that the Xbox One will sell pretty well.

I think alot of people are riding the "we love Sony" train right now to avoid being flamed and laughed at, but will actually go ahead and get the Xbox One anyway.

And if marketed properly and stores pitch the Xbox well in stores, aiming it at Microsoft's new core audience (more mature "gamers" but mainly adults that want to ditch all their DVD boxes etc), I think it can indeed sell well.

It just won't be the go-to for GAMERS. And I fail to see how Microsoft can make MORE money through their new audience than they would with %age shares of games sold. Surely the gamers are where the money is at in the long run.

PC and PS4 seem to be the next-gen now.

I bought a used Xbox 360 once to try it out once, years ago. I sold it after playing a few games. The reason I never was super interested in it was because of the monthly fee of XBL. That alone was enough to stop me from wanting the 360, and that alone is still enough to stop me from wanting the One. All this extra stuff is just deal sealers. Lots and lots of deal sealers.

the only reason i have an xbox is because no one makes ice hockey games for PC.

if EA hadnt stopped developing the NHL series for the PC, i wouldnt have a 360.

i epicly regret buying a 360 over a PS3 as well. epicly regret.

To be fair, the NHL games for PC were ass anyways. Shoddy low res graphics and terrible control schemes.

Sony pretty much confirms there's no DRM. From back in February, and has been lost under the waves of info since.

At a roundtable this morning, Sony's game studios chief, Shuhei Yoshida, told reporters that any requirement for users to register a game online in order to play it would be left to game publishers. Sony won't require that." (Emphasis added.)

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/It-Official-PS4-Feature-Used-Game-DRM-Like-Xbox-One-56264.html

Essentially we'll have 3rd party DRM on the PS4, vs Microsoft's always DRM.

If this is how it really pans out...goodnight Xbox.

I have a feeling Xbox 1 will fail based on its money-whoring system
"Once you activate a game, you can not take it to your friends house"
"Activating a used game has a fee that costs as much as the game new"
Also notice they barely talked about games during announcement. Infact, the only confirmed launch game with it that isnt even exclusive is CoD: Ghosts
Also Xbox live still isn't free.

Xbox One? Sounds like PlayStation One. PlayStation 360.

Jesus H Christ the only way I'm buying an X1 is if I get rich and already have all the others and there's one or two exclusives up for it. I'll buy a ****ing Philips CD-i before I buy that thing.

BabyHeadCrab even if Steam's offline mode ain't perfect it doesn't require you to connect once a day and it doesn't encourage developers to take advantage of cloud computing as thinly-veiled always-online protection. And it doesn't jack up the DRM requirements when you try to play on someone else's PC.

So I take it I can't log into my Live account at a buddy's house and play my games, then? Nor can she/he borrow my account to play them either?

If you're playing on your own console you need to connect to the internet every 24 hours for it to keep functioning. If you log in on someone else's you need to be logged in at least once an hour. But you can play DVDs without connecting to the internet!

Who the F*ck cares what the new XBox and PlayStation are gonna be called? My mom will still call it a Nintendo. -.-
I work at a repair shop that fixes game consoles, and there's a ton of people who still call any game console a Nintendo. This week though, some lady called up and asked if we worked on Nintendos and I said sure, and then she brought in an actual Nintendo! We don't fix Nintendos though lol.

Anyways, this clarification doesn't make things any better for the One.

Makes me want to buy a PS4 solely out of spite.

I somewhat feel similar but then I remember I have a kickass PC and I barely play the consoles I have. But we'll see.

So no renting games for Xbox? I bet Gamefly is pissed

I'm sure they'll set up some kind of exclusive deal with any service that's willing to pay them enough, the same way they'll probably have an exclusive deal with Gamestop for used sales.

lol h8rs gonna h8 i've got mine prepurchased at gamestop it's just steam with eyes that watch you masturbate

Try it out in IRCs and voice chats and video game chat channels, very, very solid troll to compare XBO to steam.

I'll make a note of that, because as we all know I love to troll IRCs, voice chats, and video game chat channels.

Ratchet n' Clank games, Jak and Dax games, Uncharted Series, Infamous series, Heavy Rain, MGS4 just to name a few are cheap as hell and really fun. But you probably know that.

Infamous is really not that bad. Haven't played the second one but the first one was a lot of fun from what I can remember.

Ratchet n' Clank games, Jak and Dax games, Uncharted Series, Infamous series, Heavy Rain, MGS4 just to name a few are cheap as hell and really fun. But you probably know that.
Little Big Planet, Journey, Demons Souls, Okami HD, Dust 514, Last of Us.

Resistance series, Killzone series, etc.

Ugh, can't stand Killzone and Dust 514. awful, awful. especially Dust.

Resistance single player is a great amount of fun, though. It's my favorite flagship PS3 fps. Killzone is such a drag.

Ordered up Uncharted 1, and the Killzone series. I'll probably get the rest of Uncharted later as well as some of them JRPGs.

Get Ni No Kuni man. Played it at a friends house and absolutely loved it. Shame there is no localized 3DS version or I would be all over that

Back