Your favorite WWII shooter?

Reaction score
It's interesting. With all these games on the subject out there, you've surely picked an all-times favorite by now.. and, If I've not mistaken, made some enemies too.

Personally, the gold cup goes to the Brothers in Arms series. It somehow stands out on top of all those other ones where you just participate in the conflict - there is nothing that makes you believe you're actually that soldier. Whereas BiA ballances both - an epic adventure combined with chilling close encounters in infantry combat. There is just nothing else like it. One of the things I liked most was the tactical part of the game where one false step may turn your entire squad into torn guts and uniform in the dirt. I dare you to jump in front of an MG nest in this game!

#2 goes to Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault. As much as I'd like it to be more like BiA, it's not. The controls and gameplay somehow sucked for me - same old MoH - but the story was the main thing that kept me playing. Overall it just felt too.. unnatural.

DoD

Also, does this belong in games + gaming? :S

Return to castle Wolfenstein.

:cheers:

Not only the finest WW2 shooter, but the best online shooter there has been. We need a decent update!

ET was very good too, but no RTCW.

Wolfenstein 3D.

WW2 shooters don't really do much for me. Unless they have a mecha-hitler.

MOH:Allied Assault, Operation overlord mission won it for me, the multiplayer was/is pretty decent too :)

Company of Heroes. I don't think I've ever played an actual WWII shooter that wasn't very run of the mill.

wtf. Call of Duty, hands down. All the sequels can go cook socks in hull.
Close second rtcw.

wtf. Call of Duty, hands down. All the sequels can go cook socks in hull.
Close second rtcw.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - Call of Duty is the best WW2 shooter. I'd play it again today if I even still had it. United Offensive was pretty much on the same page of awesome.

Gotta go with Call of Duty as well. The original was great for it's time, before they squeezed it for sequels and everyone got sick of hearing about it. Campaign was good, but the multiplayer was amazing. Possibly my favourite online shooter.

Edit: Oh, but the United Offensive multi can go **** itself. I think I was the only one who absolutely hated the vehicles - weren't much better when they tried it again in 3, either.

CoD was boring. I'm going with Allied Assault War Chest or even Wolf3D.

The very first Battlefield 1942 gets my vote. Despite being a bit rough around the edges, bringing air, land and sea together in one place at one time was so much fun. The wake island demo is also my favorite demo ever released for any game.

My number one would have to be Battlefield 1942, I can't tell you the countless days I wasted away playing it.
Played the demo for the longest time before I surprisingly got it for Christmas in 2002.
My dad apparently noticed that I kept playing what seemed like the game almost all the time and so he used the computer one day and saw the demo on the desktop and tried it himself, he of course couldn't get into it since his brain was still stuck in the days of Wolf3D but he knew I liked it so he got it for me for Christmas, one of my better Christmas presents back in the day.
I still remember the very first map I played... it was Stalingrad and it was a packed server with tanks rolling down every street and never ending gunfire all around me.
The years that followed brought countless mods that all had plenty of players.
Man, I must've played that game for 5 years almost exclusively.

Anyways, second goes to Call of Duty & UO.
Amazing campaigns with a really fun multiplayer to boot, loved base assault in UO and CTF in CoD.

I love me some WW2 games, I'll never tire of them.

Blasphemy. Those games aren't even WW2 shooters. They were shooters with some WW2 weapons and nothing to do with the war itself. CoD put you in the action and put you in battles and made you feel like you might be in danger when someone's shooting at you.

I don't think you've ever played Allied Assault.

CoD put you to sleep in battles and made you feel like you might want to fall asleep when someone's shooting at you.

Fixed.

MOH:Allied Assault, Operation overlord mission won it for me, the multiplayer was/is pretty decent too :)

These. I was so in love with Allied Assault I played it so much. Eventually I played it too much and I moved on to CSS.

But, Allied Assault and COD2 do it for me. I myself would like to see a BC2 equivalent set in WW2. And not 1943.

First has to go to Battlefield 1942. I'm really surprised more people didnt pick this.

Anyways, Call of Duty 1 and 2 come right after that.

Wolfenstein Enemy Territory was the single greatest [strike]WW2 shooter[/strike] game I've ever played. It's shame you can't find a un-modded XPsave server anymore that isn't filled with bots. :(

Call of Duty: United Offensive comes in a close second for being one of those rare expansion packs that was actually better than it's predecessor.

Battlefield 1942 was the best multiplayer game of its time. For a WW2 shooter? I was pretty generic... but it made conquest cool. These days conquest is so played out it hurts. It was one of my favorite games, but I dn't even think about it when I think about WW2 games for some reason.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault, Call of Duty, Return to Castle Wolfenstein

Day of Defeat for the original Half-Life as well--also Red Orchestra when it was just an infantry combat game and a far superior game than it is now, obviously Battlefield 1942 is great MP as well

Day of Defeat 1.3.

If we're talking about singleplayer specifically, probably COD2.

Wolfenstein 3D.

WW2 shooters don't really do much for me. Unless they have a mecha-hitler.

This was my first FPS (I was about 6). I had nightmares about Mecha Hitler. Also had nightmares about the nazi dogs and about that Doktor boss that throws needles at you.

Original MoH, MoH: Underground, Brothers in Arms, Hidden & Dangerous 2

Call of Duty wasn't that good. I'd go with Allied Assault any day.

i remember i got the original COD the day it came out in the UK, or i had it delivered to my door within days of release at least. that was probably the first pc game i ever went out and brought in the vein hope it would play on our family computer and it did, and what fun it was. united offensive gets a shout too as that had the foy missions which were straight out of the intensity of the two band of brothers episode set during the battle of the bulge.

Threeway tie between

Medal of Honor: Frontline
CoD 2 and
CoD World at War

I really can't stand the CoD series in one single aspect - they are somewhat un-realistic. Blood spray from enemies/allies looks like wine, there is no ragdol system - just animations that get plain and boring after one or two missions, you are TOO accurate, even with sights or without crosshairs on-screen (even when strafing/moving).

Though I loved the Pointe du Hoc and Hill 300 chapters from CoD 2.

The original COD games did kind of come out when ragdoll deaths were in its infancy.
And what do you mean SOMEWHAT unrealistic? They were totally unrealistic.

Your complaints are quite odd.

I remember having to turn on ragdoll for MW2. Probably had to do the same with World at War. They have it turned off by default.

Unless you mean the older ones like CoD2. Yeah, they didn't have it. I didn't mind much, though.

And what do you mean SOMEWHAT unrealistic? They were totally unrealistic.

Your complaints are quite odd.

Visually the game looks splendid, but the gameplay suffered a bit. It's not that it's BAD, it just uses older technology.

I remember having to turn on ragdoll for MW2. Probably had to do the same with World at War. They have it turned off by default.

Why do you think they did it?

To be honest, I don't know. Doesn't bother me, either.

Since when are ragdoll deaths realistic? They've only just started getting close with euphoria.

Back