Adrian Shepherd return?

Well, I see what you mean. But perhaps Gman is weakening generally speaking, and he is losing control of Gordon and Shephard. In any case, we won't know the source of Gman's loss of control until AM is released.

Azner said:
Cmon, are you guys gamers? We should'nt care about Anti Adrain and support adrain, good guy bad guy... Be happy theres a new game to play!

:cheers: YEA! THAT’S THE SPIRIT! :cheers:

Dude! That would be SO COOL!!! Shephard! Shephard! Shephard! Shephard! Shephard! Shephard!:bounce: :cheers: :thumbs: Yea, I DO NOT CARE if Shephard comes back with outdated armor, weapons, and equipment! Dude it would be so fun! He would have to steal some Combine armor! :sniper: Or Breen or some Combine dude finds him in U.S. battle uniform, and say “I see Shephard, that you are a Corporal back in the U.S. Marines. Shephard do you want a new job?” and you can pick YES OR RUN OR WHAT EVER, or Corporal Shephard fight his way out were ever he is to get to Earth!! Guys just use your imagination!! :cheers:

You guys mite answer these questions already but its to much for me to read thru the thread so, can any one answer these questions for me?

1. What ever happen to Corporal Sheppard?

2. Were did G-man sent Sheppard in the end of OP4?

3. Why did G-man F up Corporal Sheppard but not Freeman?

4. Would they make a new Half-life about Corporal Sheppard?

1. Shephard was cast into stasis by the Gman, and has been there ever since.

2. Gman put him in stasis, where Gordon goes - a place where time does not flow.

3. F up?

4. Hopefully not. There is no reason to bring him back other than for the sake of his stupid fans wanting him back.

Roman Legion said:
He would have to steal some Combine armor! :sniper: Or Breen or some Combine dude finds him in U.S. battle uniform, and say “I see Shephard, that you are a Corporal back in the U.S. Marines. Shephard do you want a new job?”
You make me sad. And angry.

Mostly angry.

1. G-man gave him the Adrian Shephard. Unlike Gordon Freeman, who was placed into a black sleep that made the passage of time between HL1 and HL2 seem instantaneous, Adrian Shephard was placed on a military osprey floating high above what appeared to be Xen. I don't call it stasis...I think he's really been living there for twenty years, eating whatever rations he's doled out from the G-man, going mad at watching the landscape pass by and the lack of any contact (human or otherwise), not being able to do anything.

2. Xen, or a Xen-like area. Truth be told it looked as if it was New Mexico, only with a Xenian sky. I choose to believe he got stuck on Xen, but maybe it was just the G-man screwing with his mind.

3. Because Gordon had a further purpose, had potential. Adrian Shephard was just a grunt that managed to do some good during the incident. G-Man couldn't just let him die but he was useless now anyway...and rather than have him risk talking about the BMRF incident, he teleported him away somewhere. Somewhere he could no longer be a bother to anyone else, except for anti-Adrian forumgoers.

4. Regretfully, they probably will. God...that makes me so sad.

And angry.

Mostly angry.

UltimaApocalyspe said:
GreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGREATGreatGreatGreatGreatGreatGREATLoveGREAT!

Not stolen. *cough*
Fixed. You guys are going so over-board in Shepard-phobia you're being unrealistic.

I mean, Darkside why couldn't the G-man 'just let him die'. He was obviously kept alive for a purpose.
I suspect he's there as backup in case Gordon starts to get out of control (which he is doing). A strong survivor and excellent fighter from the BM incident who, as a bonus, is not predisposed to liking Freeman the way Green or Barney were. The opposite if anything.
There's no reason even to think that the G-man considers him less capable than Gordon, but Gordon is simply the one asked for in the 'contract'.

Eejit said:
I mean, Darkside why couldn't the G-man 'just let him die'.
There could be many reasons. The simplest reason could simply be respect. The G-man said that he admired people who survived against all odds, that they remind him of himself...you would not (in most cases) kill someone you respect, especially if they are incapable of doing you harm. Simply because of that, the G-man could've decided to keep him alive.

A more speculative theory: the G-man CANNOT directly kill a human being. Whether it is because he is just a "watcher," or perhaps because of a decree by his employers, maybe even because of a personal moral code, he could not directly kill someone. Even Freeman was given the choice whether he would like to live or die; while Adrian was offered no such choice, the G-man wouldn't immediately send him to his death or leave him for the bomb to take care of.

Ultimately, in either case he spared Adrian Shephard for personal reasons. He spared Gordon Freeman for greater importance.

I've stated before I'm anti-Adrian because of the fans more than Adrian himself. Truth be told I enjoyed Opposing Force...sometimes I even go back and play Adrian's adventure. However, to think that the G-man preserved Adrian Shephard for some reason as helping out Gordon Freeman--or fighting him, of all things--is absolutely ridiculous, cliche, and conventional. I'd like to think that Half-Life's story is smarter than that.

That said, if Valve ever announces a new game featuring Adrian Shephard, I won't immediately cry, "the sky is falling!" I have enough faith that they will at least try to make it work...but at this point, I really cannot see how. He will fight with Gordon or he will fight against Gordon; his adventure will overlap with a future episode or perhaps be in a completely different place, far removed from Gordon and his exploits. In either case I can't see it meshing with the story, as it is. Time will tell.

If I had it my way, I'd like to see Adrian Shephard being mentioned only in name...to explain something about the G-man and his motives, but never showing up onscreen.

Samon said:
4. Hopefully not. There is no reason to bring him back other than for the sake of his stupid fans wanting him back.

There's also no reason not to conclude his story save for his stupid detractors being so opposed to his existance.

He could easily be brought back in any number of ways, I'm sure Laidlaw and the rest of the Half-Life team are intelligent and creative enough to do it properly.

Try swallowing your ego just once, for everyone else's sake.

Edit: ...and, to the above: Why would you let some idiotic fans ruin your love of something? I mean, why not let them spoil Half-Life on the whole for you. If, for example, you were a fan of StarWars, and then one day you found out you couldn't stand alot of the other fans, would you decide to hate it? That makes no sense to me. Besides, the opposing side (oh, how funny) is guilty of the very same irritating behavior that the fanatical pro-Shepard people are.

They haven't ruined anything for me...even without the fans I'd still be anti-Shephard's return. I still like OpFor, as I said, and I've got nothing against Shephard. I just don't want to see the guy again. Again, I have LOTS of faith in Valve...but, really just can't see it working. Also, it seemed before that Valve had no intention of ever mentioning Adrian again until the fans started clamoring for him. Saying that they'll "get around to him eventually" sounds just like pandering to me, and I'd rather not see a story altered just for the sake of the fans.

Also, you're very right about not letting other people ruin your love of something. There are actually a couple hobbies I have that I hate the fanbases for...the most glaring one I can think of right now is watching anime. Still enjoy it though, regardless of other people. But like I said, I don't hate Shephard himself...just the idea of him returning. Let the poor bastard float through the void in peace, ya know?

Langolier said:
There's also no reason not to conclude his story save for his stupid detractors being so opposed to his existance.

He could easily be brought back in any number of ways, I'm sure Laidlaw and the rest of the Half-Life team are intelligent and creative enough to do it properly.

Try swallowing your ego just once, for everyone else's sake.

Edit: ...and, to the above: Why would you let some idiotic fans ruin your love of something? I mean, why not let them spoil Half-Life on the whole for you. If, for example, you were a fan of StarWars, and then one day you found out you couldn't stand alot of the other fans, would you decide to hate it? That makes no sense to me. Besides, the opposing side (oh, how funny) is guilty of the very same irritating behavior that the fanatical pro-Shepard people are.

Oh yes, you are smart, this has a great deal to do with ego :rolleyes:
Someone is opposed to Shephard, darn, egotistical son of a bitch!

Haha, ticking Shephard fans off his amusing. You knock the guy and you pulverize a nerve in them.

Stupid detractors? Stupid fans. Conclude his story? You know, I'm pretty sure Shephard did get closure. He was preserved by Gman, he played his part in the Black Mesa incident and that was that. See, I don't hate Shephards character. I loved Opposing Force (except for the stupid story contrivances, and Race-X), and that was the end of it.
I was happy with Shephard, but I didn't think "Oh, wonder when he'll be back." Then people started getting silly, "Shephard! Shephard!" His story was concluded, that was how it was done and quite frankly you knew Valve didn't intend to bring him back. Why did they need to? They didn't.

But no. Now you just can't escape the feeling that Valve are only going to bring him because of the fans demand. And I feel it'll be some half-assed return that just won't make much sense and only be there because people wanted him to return. It has become silly at this point.

I'm a detractor. I've become a silly detractor. Fanatical in my belief that Shephard shouldn't return. It's going to be a return that wields no benefits, and it's only going to be there to satisfy his legions of fans.

It's really a wonder Shephard has so many fans to begin with. I question WHY people want to see him back so badly. Was it because he was a "badass" marine? Was it because you were playing in opposition to Gordon Freeman? I don't get it.

No one's going to say that Adrian Shephard didn't do some awesome things and tackle a crap-ton of aliens (along with the black ops), but really, a lot of people were in that boat with him. Counting official expansion packs and mods, it's like everybody and their mother grabbed some handy tool (crowbar, wrench, tire iron, a hammer...) and kicked the crap out of aliens and the military. So what's the big deal with Shephard?

The opposition thing too, that's one of the real reasons I remember hating on Adrian fans. Remember in the months *cough*years*cough* before HL2 came out? People would fill that rumors and speculations board with, "Hey, maybe the Combine soldiers were trained by Adrian Shephard or based off his DNA," silly fanboy theories like that. Just because he was tracking you in the first game, he's automatically a candidate for a future boss fight, or he has to fill some role of greater importance. Now that Gordon's loosed from the G-man, automatically everyone has to assume that the G-man's going to pit pawn against pawn because hey, they were on different sides before, right?

The bottom line is that Shephard's act is done. The curtain has closed on his scene. Samon has the right of it, his story is concluded and there is no reason for him to come back. Because if he comes back, he's going to fill some half-assed role of fighting Gordon Freeman, or backing him up, or training resistance fighters (ah, I can hear the fanboys going nuts with glee over that idea)...and it's just really pointless. The man got the Adrian Shephard. He was placed in another dimension to sit and die. He had a cool adventure but that doesn't mean he should have another. Not everyone is deserving of a second scene...and if his first game ended so well, why should you want to disturb that?

Because people like a pair of fingerless gloved hands instead of orange metallic gloved hands :p.

Naw, they don't :p
So Deus, you are saying generic military type wins over scientist come resistance fighter? Good lord!

Darkside55 said:
"Hey, maybe the Combine soldiers were trained by Adrian Shephard or based off his DNA,"
Aaah, they were wonderful theories.
He was a faceless grunt - no more, no less. No individual in the way that Gordon is. I loved Op4, but there really wasn't very much to Shepherd. Gordon is great because he's not your average, muscled up military-trained hard-case gaming protagonist. He's an average-built geek wearing a silly orange suit that helps him not get killed outright very quickly indeed. For some reason, he's also a complete mentalist and a weapons expert, but the less said about that the better, lest we hit a stumbling block on his character.
For a mute character who we've only ever seen twice actually in the game (Employee of the month in Op4, and in the BMRF group photo in Kleiner's lab), Gordon is a disproportionately compelling character.

That's just it... Shephard and Gordon are faceless (and don't get all literal on me people, I mean in the sense that their characters are largely defined by the player).

I wouldn't call myself a Shephard fan- but I don't understand the Shephard hate :(

Well, Gordons definately more defined than Shephard. Through characters like Barney and Breen were shown a great deal about Gordon, even if it's simply a nod to the actions we've played through.

Darkside55 said:
It's really a wonder Shephard has so many fans to begin with. I question WHY people want to see him back so badly. Was it because he was a "badass" marine? Was it because you were playing in opposition to Gordon Freeman? I don't get it.

No one's going to say that Adrian Shephard didn't do some awesome things and tackle a crap-ton of aliens (along with the black ops), but really, a lot of people were in that boat with him. Counting official expansion packs and mods, it's like everybody and their mother grabbed some handy tool (crowbar, wrench, tire iron, a hammer...) and kicked the crap out of aliens and the military. So what's the big deal with Shephard?

The opposition thing too, that's one of the real reasons I remember hating on Adrian fans. Remember in the months *cough*years*cough* before HL2 came out? People would fill that rumors and speculations board with, "Hey, maybe the Combine soldiers were trained by Adrian Shephard or based off his DNA," silly fanboy theories like that. Just because he was tracking you in the first game, he's automatically a candidate for a future boss fight, or he has to fill some role of greater importance. Now that Gordon's loosed from the G-man, automatically everyone has to assume that the G-man's going to pit pawn against pawn because hey, they were on different sides before, right?

The bottom line is that Shephard's act is done. The curtain has closed on his scene. Samon has the right of it, his story is concluded and there is no reason for him to come back. Because if he comes back, he's going to fill some half-assed role of fighting Gordon Freeman, or backing him up, or training resistance fighters (ah, I can hear the fanboys going nuts with glee over that idea)...and it's just really pointless. The man got the Adrian Shephard. He was placed in another dimension to sit and die. He had a cool adventure but that doesn't mean he should have another. Not everyone is deserving of a second scene...and if his first game ended so well, why should you want to disturb that?

I think its because of the ending actually. The ending kind of ends on a down note with the whole "Contained until Further Evaluation" (or something to that effect). I remember feeling kind of jipped seeing as you really don't know what happens with him except for the fact that he's still alive somewhere possibly in the same state as Gordon was, but I never really thought what he was going to do afterwards. I guess people want an ending like Gordons to happen with shephard, like him dieing, getting hired, or some stupid shit =/

DeusExMachina said:
Because people like a pair of fingerless gloved hands instead of orange metallic gloved hands :p.

And Wrench/Knife > Crowbar :)

Samon said:
Naw, they don't :p
So Deus, you are saying generic military type wins over scientist come resistance fighter? Good lord!

Well no, what I was trying to say is, that's all Gordon and Adrian are: a pair of differently gloved hands. They don't have any solid history or background, they have no defined personality, they're literally...just a pair of hands.

Gordon actually has a great deal of background. There is an entire write up in the prima guide (written by Laidlaw) about Gordons past and such as.

Samon said:
Gordon actually has a great deal of background. There is an entire write up in the prima guide (written by Laidlaw) about Gordons past and such as.

He makes a good point. All we know about Shephard comes from a few notes scribbled into the OpFor manual, whereas we know about Gordon's PhD, his early interest in teleportation, and that he's a nerd who grew up to kick ass.
*me takes inspiration*

Yeah, it also mentions that Gordon accepted Gmans offer because he hoped to aid humanity in the process. He was right, to an extent.

And how long is this extensive background on Gordon in the Prima Guide? That would be interesting to read. Secondly, it should be obvious IMO that Shephard is not as defined as Freeman, and the reason should be too. It's an expansion, made by another company no less. But that doesn't mean it is less valid than say, Barney. And anyway, it's up to Valve to decide whether or not Adrian will appear in the HL story again. Shephard can't wait in that Xenian abyss forever, things have to change eventually. It better.

I read that, it was only like...a page. Not exactly complex or anything...and NONE of it ever, ever, comes up in the games which basically makes it all for nothing. Not saying I don't find it interesting, its pretty cool, but why even bother if its never going to come up...ever?

Becuase its just backstory. It isn't necessary, but it did happen. I mean, alot of games have huge write ups regarding the games story, but never actually come into play. Oblivion has a damn book. I haven't read it mind, but I somehow doubt its relevance.

Well, I probably didn't make much sense. But I can see where I'm coming from in trying to address your point :p

Samon said:
Care to divulge any of that stuff?

Its mostly about his time at University.

He was a native of Seattle. He showed interest in quantum physics and relativity at a young age. His early childhood heroes included Einstein, Hawking and Feynman.

When he visited Innsbruck in the late 90's, he observed several teleportation experiments. Teleportation then became his obsession. In 1999 he recieved is doctorate from MIT.

Ultimately he was disappointed with the slow pace and poor funding of academic research - and with tenure a distant dream - he looked for something in the private sector. Thankfully his former MIT mentor Issac Kleiner had taken charge of a research project being conducted at a decommissioned missile base in Black Mesa, New Mexico. He figured he'd be in some sort of weapons research.

He made a butane-powered tennis ball cannon at the age of 6. The only weapon prior to the Black Mesa incident he had ever used.

Simplified to the max!

ríomhaire said:
"private sector...Black Mesa"
:O

I thought it was pretty clear that Black Mesa was private sector. Government facilities dont advertise themselves, but during the HL opening tram ride the announcer says:
"If you have friends or relatives qualified in the fields of...Black Mesa is an equal opportunity employer."

Government facilities dont usually allow just anybody to send their resume, y' know.

I think they probably had government contracts though.

"There goes our grant money." ;)

Black Mesa definately had ties to the government. Weapons research, applications for teleportation, the rapid response of HECU, military helicoptors hanging around the base...

Back