Adrian Shepherd return?

he has no purpose? thats why when they fit him in the story they'd "give" him a purpose
Yes, but why bother? Any of the faceless PCs / NPCs from the Gearbox expansions can be brought back and given that very same purpose, and all are on an equal footing with any number of entirely new character inventions that Valve care to make. What is it that makes Shepherd special in the least? Is it simply just the matter of NPCs calling the player or another NPC by the name of Adrian Shepherd? Because that's all it's going to be if they bring him back. Why is that so great?
sheesh its not like Freeman was as fleshed out and deep into the story before #2, Half-Life 2 would have worked even if it was an entirly new character in city 17.
Possibly, but in a sense, the real 'Main Character' of Half-Life 1 was actually the G-Man, and for a true continuation of the game, you would have to have played someone under the G-Man's control. Freeman was the obvious choice there. Shepherd is useable under that guise, but again, why bother? Why bother doing another story where you control a character under the influence of the G-Man, when you could be playing a game about something completely different that fleshes out some other aspect of the human / combine struggle?

Anti-Shepherdism isn't about a total dislike of the character. There is so little substance there to shovel dislike upon. It's a dislike of blind devotion to a chraracter who is a merely a name and a few constraining themes, at the cost of a myriad of potentially more exciting possibilities.

im just saying just because there is no reason for him to be needed right now doesn't meen one wont eventually come along.

Dont be so closed minded, You get a feel for the character as you play through the game so its not just a matter of a few npcs' calling you Adrian, in that case it would be the same matter as Gordon; Im in no way saying Shepherd should have been in HL2 but would just like to see his side continue at some point further down in the story with another expansion or in one of the upcoming episodes, so why not bother bringing him back and provide some closure.

Shepherd's return.

Hey, he's a usable character. His nemesis is none other than Gordan Freeman. So here's the deal. The g-man is under the control of the vortigaunts now. His tool, Freeman is now out of his control. What is he to do?

Currently Shepherd is "someplace where he can do no harm" and is waiting to be released to cause more mayhem.

So the obvious plot to OF2 is that G-man will somehow get Shepherd released to try and get things shook up so the G-man can break free.
Each character had its place in the first half life incident, Gordan, Barney, G-man, and Shepherd.

His nemesis isn't Gordon. That was just his mission, which is cancelled halfway through the damn game. Its not like he was on this life long soul journey to destroy gordon.

Yes, but why bother? Any of the faceless PCs / NPCs from the Gearbox expansions can be brought back and given that very same purpose, and all are on an equal footing with any number of entirely new character inventions that Valve care to make. What is it that makes Shepherd special in the least? Is it simply just the matter of NPCs calling the player or another NPC by the name of Adrian Shepherd? Because that's all it's going to be if they bring him back. Why is that so great?

Possibly, but in a sense, the real 'Main Character' of Half-Life 1 was actually the G-Man, and for a true continuation of the game, you would have to have played someone under the G-Man's control. Freeman was the obvious choice there. Shepherd is useable under that guise, but again, why bother? Why bother doing another story where you control a character under the influence of the G-Man, when you could be playing a game about something completely different that fleshes out some other aspect of the human / combine struggle?

Anti-Shepherdism isn't about a total dislike of the character. There is so little substance there to shovel dislike upon. It's a dislike of blind devotion to a chraracter who is a merely a name and a few constraining themes, at the cost of a myriad of potentially more exciting possibilities.

why not? Jeez, gordon got about as much substance in hl1 as adrian did in op4. Which is to say not much. All valve player characters are merely empty vessels anyhow. The reason why people like the idea of Shephard is because he is a loose end that was never tied up. He got a cliffhanger ending and we all want to know what happens to him. Also his character interaction would be more unique within the context of hl2 since nobody knows anything about you nor treats you as a messiah. Thus you can learn more about the npcs and your surroundings without being revered as an orange, crowbar weilding god getting in the way.

Strange. The above post sounds exactly the same as my arguement, just reversed to serve the opposite side of said arguement. You essentially say that there's nothing significant about the character, and thus that's why he's great. I say that's why he holds no preference over an entirely new character who has a new story to tell.

Jesus christ, maybe Valve should just remake all of the Half-Life games replacing Freeman with Shepard, that would make you all happy wouldn't it!

no, thats not exactly what we are looking for...Freeman is the obvious choice like Kupoartist said but eventually they should provide some closure to the cliffhanger ending of opposing force, thats all I am wanting.

I dont think it was copied and reversed from your statement Kupo just a mere coincidence in simiarity.

Flyingdebris made a good point nonetheless;
"Also his character interaction would be more unique within the context of hl2 since nobody knows anything about you nor treats you as a messiah. Thus you can learn more about the npcs and your surroundings without being revered as an orange, crowbar weilding god getting in the way."

Can't we wrench wielders and crowbar wielders all just live together in harmony?

Valve is not responsible for giving closure to OP4 - I'm not really sure why it needs it. If A.S. never came back you can assume G-Man never found a use for him or simply forgot about him - you might find that a disturbing conclusion to the character but that was kinda the point of OP4's ending.

I swear, these Adrian Shephard arguments will never die. It's almost amusing to keep seeing them brought up from time to time. Almost...

Can a mod close this thread already, these "OMG SHEPHARD" arguments are annoying. :dozey:

Closing it is unnecessary, as new threads will pop up shortly, I'm sure. One needs only to ignore the thread entirely.

i'll ignore this thread when i'm dead.

of course its not valve's responsibility to tie up gearbox's loose end. Hell its not even their responsibility to end the hl series. They can choose to go in a completely different firection if they felt so inclined and leave the entire story perpectually hanging.

However the choice is ultimately up to them and i'd rather them err on the side of tying up loose ends than not. Hell, it wouldn't bother me if the only bit of shephard we saw was in a short cameo or even a description. I just want to know what happens to him, since i doubt he'd be kept in stasis while there are so many things he can be used for. He wasn't all that interesting a character as he was only a name attached to a gas mask, but he kicked ass, we had fun playing as him.

the best potential about him though, IMO, is that if he resurfaces as an npc with a voice. He'd be the only character who'd acknowledge the existance of the gman and talk to you about it.

I doubt Shepard will return my theory is he was G-mans "favourite" but then seeing the talent in Gordon chose him for the job and put Shepard in suspended animation as a backup in case Gordon escaped. But seeing as Gordon has escaped... Perhaps he will free him and set him after Gordon to finish the job only to put him back in suspended animation for the next time Freeman escapes. :D Maybe the vortigaunts will even free him themselves and use them to their advantage. Maybe the reason Freeman was freed is because they have seen it fit to stop the G-man and they are eliminating each of his agents from his grasp.

Eliminate however does not mean kill. ;)

I can see Shepard coming back to bring in Gordon, will be great to have a gun battle with him finally :D

J

I bet Adrian Shephard will be the character who dies and makes the story more interesting.

Well, it would be about bloody time.
If Shepard returns, I'll, I'll...Kamaikizi will suck Laidlaws cock. Hold him to that. :p

Giving someone something they deeefffinnnantly don't want isn't much of a reward, is it? :D

the best potential about him though, IMO, is that if he resurfaces as an npc with a voice. He'd be the only character who'd acknowledge the existance of the gman and talk to you about it.

Unless of course, that security guard from the beggining of OpFor who you see talking to the G Man makes a surprsing return!

I doubt Shepard will return my theory is he was G-mans "favourite" but then seeing the talent in Gordon chose him for the job and put Shepard in suspended animation as a backup in case Gordon escaped. But seeing as Gordon has escaped... Perhaps he will free him and set him after Gordon to finish the job only to put him back in suspended animation for the next time Freeman escapes. :D Maybe the vortigaunts will even free him themselves and use them to their advantage. Maybe the reason Freeman was freed is because they have seen it fit to stop the G-man and they are eliminating each of his agents from his grasp.

Eliminate however does not mean kill. ;)

That's quite a good theory!

I bet Adrian Shepard will be the character who dies and makes the story more interesting.

I fully endorse this idea and/or event!

It would be perfect, many annoying shepardites will mourn his death & will have reason to fight & want revenge. While we (anti-shepard's) will laugh & play with Shepard's ragdoll physics with the crowbar...awesome.

Well if Shepard is to return, i hope his death comes swift and i hope we do the killing as Gordon, ohhh the satisfaction...

Why would Shephard be killed off? His death would have absolutely no meaning to the HL universe, and it wouldn't make the story more interesting, at least not from all the angles I've considered.

IMO the purpose of the character's death is to affect the other characters. Adrian suddenly appearing then dying wouldn't make any sense, although I'm willing to be quite a few would enjoy it, though I don't know why, exactly.

Just like his return would have no meaning, no bearing, no relevance. There is just no point in his return.
Which have been discussed 100000 times.

His sudden death right after returning would be doubly irrelevant. Any character can come to the plate and change things, but a meaningless character suddenly dying to make the story more interesting...just doesn't make any sense.

I'm not saying I want Shephard to come back, because I don't really care one way or another, but his sudden appearance followed by a sudden death would be quite absurd, in my opinion.

Just like his return would have no meaning, no bearing, no relevance. There is just no point in his return.
Which have been discussed 100000 times.

Took the words right out of my mouth (come on xfire more!) :D

I read the first three pages, making me miss a lot, so if this has already been said, i'm sorry.

The G-Man probably wants Gordon dead now. Who could do it better than Adrian? :rolleyes:

When he visited Innsbruck in the late 90's, he observed several teleportation experiments. Teleportation then became his obsession. In 1999 he recieved is doctorate from MIT.

Whoah Whoah...

Time out! wasn't HL1 made in 1998? Because if it is then Valve setted the game a couple years ahead. Some one verify, because I always thought HL1 was set in 1998.

I'm not sure if this is still the topic, but I've only read half the thread, and need to post now. SO, without further delay...

I believe the main thrill about Shephard was that you were playing as a soldier. I mean, sure Gordon had training, but for some player Me included, it felt awkward playing as a scientist with an M-16, with a grenade pump. Also, I remember reading this, Valve wanted to make the player feel like the character, as much as possible, (hence no cut scenes, mirrors, cinematics, or shadows of the player) so when they created Gordon with all this background, the player feels more like he's playing another person, where as with Shephard, the player has no detail on the character, except that he's a marine, he's 23 (or so), and (a difference for some of us, not including me) he's a guy. Although Gearbox 'fuxed' up the plot, and made a whole race which may never be seen again, they still made a character that anybody could feel like, because as one of you mentioned, you can only see the hands, the character's hands, YOUR hands.

Damn That was a good line.

There might not be POINT to his return, but it would be nice to see him again, even if only as an NPC (Not a boss or enemy). And the way Valve is working out this story, they could make it work. It's Valve, what can't they do?

Whoah Whoah...

Time out! wasn't HL1 made in 1998? Because if it is then Valve setted the game a couple years ahead. Some one verify, because I always thought HL1 was set in 1998.
Gordon's BM welcome letter in the HL1 manual is dated 'May 5 200-'. According to the letter, Kliener was Gordon's professor at MIT. Also, after MIT, Gordon apparently returned to Innsbruck, as the letter is addressed to him there.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/68/FreemanJobLetter.jpg

For the record, Half-Life 2 must be set sometime around 202-.

Also, some notes by Marc Laidlaw in Raising the Bar point to 2003.

Hmm, just surprised me. I've been writin a few stories and setting them in 2018, but now it should be 2023, Right? Well, that's if you follow the 20 year time span theory.

If valve can bring back a charasmatically dry scientist from the chamber, they can bring back adrian shepard

Back