Comical "Help, I'm stuck!" moments.

Kommie said:
Are you being sarcastic, I mean jesus they were not real there was an infinite number of them, I think I would have to kill you If we were in a war together (if you were serious that is)

I'm gonna have to stand with Revenge on this one. People who just randomly refer to women as bitches, whether said women are fictional or not, need to grow up or learn some manners, or deal with something.

It's just not acceptable, it's degrading to both the woman and the man who says it, and it's a telltale sign of bad character on the part of the man who says it.

Way to stand up for what's right, Revenge. I salute you.

Well, i guess i got 'stuck' on the battery-gate opening puzzle. At first i thought it was some kind of code i needed to put in, so i just moved the box around for a while :LOL: ..then i saw the other electric box on the opposite table.. and then surprisingly fast i realized that the third one had to be on top of the windmill... so i lobbed a grenade up there..and then i searched for the box for around 10 minutes in the tall grass :LOL:

And yeah, i tried to use the antlions to fly too. :hmph:

I couldn't figure a way to get the car to the bridge in Coast so that I could drive over - I even tried doing some fancy manipulator airpunch combos - so I just walked the rest of the level. Took about 1h30mins of my time. :p

Revenge said:
that they are given by rappers, gangsters and wanna-bes all around the world.

You have mistaken gangsters with.... gangstas. There is a big difference.

I got stuck in the ruined building bit in the street war just after you destroy the 3 Striders. I missed the girders that you can use to get to the edge of the building and drop off. Instead I went the other way back towards the underground parking bit. I had no idea where to go so I spent an hour alternating between just running around like a headless chicken and using up all my ammo trying to kill all the soldiers and elites that appear. I got pretty frustrated and eventually had to peak in the Prima guide. Big, big "D'oh" moment there.

I think part of the reason I got stuck is because I got hit by the Strider's warp cannon instead of this wall that was meant to fall down. I got blasted to where I needed to be (luckily - amazing I survived really) and it meant I couldn't get back up later to high ground. I had to reload an old save file.

PrivateerLunatic said:
I'm gonna have to stand with Revenge on this one. People who just randomly refer to women as bitches, whether said women are fictional or not, need to grow up or learn some manners, or deal with something.

It's just not acceptable, it's degrading to both the woman and the man who says it, and it's a telltale sign of bad character on the part of the man who says it.

Way to stand up for what's right, Revenge. I salute you.
how bout we get back on topic. [/derail]

I never had to many stupid moments, just a couple times i had to walk around for a little bit (read: alot) to find where to go next.

Like once there was an underwater passage that i couldnt find b/c it blended so well with the adjacent walls.

At the very end when you have to stop breen from teleporting, i kept shooting the metal flap on the one side thinking i'd have to deflect that into the teleporter to jam it or something. I finally realized I could just shoot the teleporter with energy balls to destroy it. I died a lot :(

Idonotbelonghere said:
Thats awesome :D
I dont like people telling me what to do so when i heard him tell me to pick up the can I just threw it at him, and ran away, came back, threw a different object at him, ran away, came back threw something else at him, ran around him and through the entrance and after a while he got tired of chasing me :p
Damn! I feel like such a p***ie! I just picked up his stupid can and slunk out of there.

I thought his use of "bitch" was rather funny myself... meh

I didnt have many stuck parts, mainly because I always had at least one person watching me while I played. At one point I was standing looking at this fence...wont open...locked.....hmm....stand there for a minute......

...roomate says "dude, why haven't you shot the lock?"

OOOOOOHHH!

As for getting stuck... I got caught up in my own made up puzzle after seeing the first Antlion Guard spring up in the sand.. I kept on thinking that there has to be some trigger or something for me to find to open that shiny white door!!! I blasted him occasionally, even unloaded on him quite a few times but just to buy me some time looking around... nothing worked. I was ready to quit the game altogether after wasting about an hour in that stage!! I finally said fu*k it!!! I went toe to toe with the big sucker and my grav gun launching fire barrels... a few grenades from the SMG and he finally DIED!!!! D'oh! I really was supposed to kill him and gee whiz do I feel st00pid!!!!

The weirdest place I got 'stuck' was when I tried to tease the combine soldiers at the beginning.

I threw stuff at a guy guarding a door until he chased me, then I ran to where he was standing (in front of the door). He ran upto me and started beating me. And I couldnt move. I was held against that door and beaten for 5 mins before I started again.

Can't really remember getting stuck tooooo much.

Heheh cept for one part where I got off my airboat to investigate the building near the helipad (where the combine heli takes off from..) and I chucked in a nade... well..

It killed everything but when I jumped into the room (literally jumped) I got stuck between two shelves and couldnt move lol!

I had to noclip to get out of it :rolling: :thumbs:

Peqkx said:
At the very end when you have to stop breen from teleporting, i kept shooting the metal flap on the one side thinking i'd have to deflect that into the teleporter to jam it or something. I finally realized I could just shoot the teleporter with energy balls to destroy it. I died a lot :(

I feel your pain... :(

I had several "duh" moments, but the best one was definitely in Revenholm. In the area when you first meet Father whatshisface standing on the ledge above that burning pile of corpses, I didn't realise that there was a door behind it that you could walk through if you turned the gas off....I spent fooking ages walking around to that electric fence with the body attached to it and back again....... I miss the most obvious things :)

And the final battle...dont get me started on the final battle...it's the only part of the game where I had to find help on the forums...I....JUST....COULDN'T....WORK...IT..OUT!

My most recent "duh" moments was when you are at the part when the citadel is eating the city and you have to escape before it chomps down on you. I spent forever trying to figure out how to get onto the crack in the wall at the very end before it comes down on you. I was stacking boxes and everthing before I realized that I have been running past a hole in the wall on the left the entire time!

JimmehH said:
I got stuck in the ruined building bit in the street war just after you destroy the 3 Striders. I missed the girders that you can use to get to the edge of the building and drop off. Instead I went the other way back towards the underground parking bit. I had no idea where to go so I spent an hour alternating between just running around like a headless chicken and using up all my ammo trying to kill all the soldiers and elites that appear. I got pretty frustrated and eventually had to peak in the Prima guide. Big, big "D'oh" moment there.

I think part of the reason I got stuck is because I got hit by the Strider's warp cannon instead of this wall that was meant to fall down. I got blasted to where I needed to be (luckily - amazing I survived really) and it meant I couldn't get back up later to high ground. I had to reload an old save file.

I think I'm stuck in the same spot...

Ironically, I doubled back to the underground lot, and I can't even seem to find out how I got there... doh!

My part would probably be at the battery part like alot of other people. The only thing that makes my story diffrent is that I saw 3 barrels and 3 "sheets of metal" so I tried to make a ramp out of it. At first I thought it was going to work then when I actually tried to ramp it, the ramp will always break. Must of took my an hour to figure out the battery part.

On that level (see picture), I got stuck a least 2 hours trying to get a way out. First, I though I could pile up some barrels to reach the large pipe and go on the other side. But I was all wrong. The answer was just on the other room where you have to turn a wheel, so the water can come up. I had tried to find a way out when I said to myself that piling up some barrels was obviously the answer. So I took the barrels one by one and dropped them in the little opening on the floor. Then, I piled them up near the large pipe. It took me something like 30 minutes to pile up thoses stupids barrels that kept falling back to me. I wished that Gabe Newell blew up suddenly because he made a damn stupid game like that. Then, I read on theses forums that the only thing you had to do was to turn the goddamn wheel.

Attachments

• stuck.JPG
    stuck.JPG
    79.3 KB · Views: 444
I spent an hour looking for stuff to pile into the basket to weight it down far enough to raise the end of the ramp for the airboat. After tossingevery broken-box stick and cement block I could find into the thing, it still wasn't heavy enough. As I went off in search of more heavy stuff, I came upon the route to the elevated boards and the very heavy appliance.

Duh .. hint, always look up!

I got stuck just past the part where Alyx re-programs the turrents for you to use. I decided to carry a turrent with me as far as I possibly could to help me out. I was stuck in the room where the water was electrified...took me ages to figure out how to get across that room with the turrent...

That turrent came in very handy though on many occasions :)

Chadda said:
I got stuck just past the part where Alyx re-programs the turrents for you to use. I decided to carry a turrent with me as far as I possibly could to help me out. I was stuck in the room where the water was electrified...took me ages to figure out how to get across that room with the turrent...

You know, that's an awesome idea.

::goes to try it::

I walked around for like 5 - 10 mins looking for a door that was right in my face... lol

Hmm, only thing that jumps out at me is from Highway 17 when , instead of just driving my buggy through the fence at the first thumper and happily continuing on (which I did on my second play through the game) I thought you had to edge it around the building and kind of 'bunny-hop' onto the sand...ended up falling off and into the water...had to get out and grav-gun the buggy up onto the beach. Pretty annoying, although I did find out antlions can drown in the process.

Had to roll my eyes at myself the next time I played the level and realised I could just motor through the fence...

cleckmoon said:
Now, the 'Riding the Antlion' story.

There's this part on the coast, after you get behind the forts (after you just got the bugbait), where you come to this very simple jump. A gap, with a log streaching halfway out to help. Only thing is, I didn't SEE the log at first.

After falling to my death twice, I think, "Ah HA, Valve is testing my inginuity! I will chalenge their physics engine to the full extent! I have antlions, they can fly, hence, I will STAND ON TOP of the antlion and let it waft me across."

Let's just say that didn't work too well. But I was CONVINCED it would work. That was a very frustrating hour. Then I fell on the log, and was like, "DUH", and jumped across.

It would have been cool if it worked, though.

That's hilarious... pretty creative thinking there :p

Only part I can remember was where JimmehH got stuck, in the destroyed building. I kept running around backtracking for an hour with my squad following me around. I half-expected one of them to go: 'Yo, Freeman, where the hell are we going?' :O

Speedkills said:
I had several "duh" moments, but the best one was definitely in Revenholm. In the area when you first meet Father whatshisface standing on the ledge above that burning pile of corpses, I didn't realise that there was a door behind it that you could walk through if you turned the gas off....I spent fooking ages walking around to that electric fence with the body attached to it and back again....... I miss the most obvious things :)

Same here. And the second time I played through the game I got to that point and couldn't remember how I got passed it. I was actually convinced that I went up a ladder somewhere.

The other daft moment I had was turning off nearly every thumper on the coast. I thought "This is a combine machine, therefore it must be bad; so I'll turn it off". It was only until just before you get the bugbait that I realised what they did.

mine has to be the best. Whn yous in Nova Proskpets, and get to a large like blue combine barrier thing, and there is 3 turrets there..you got ur Antlions too..you take out the turrets..and then i was like, how the hell do i get from here. Went back around the prision for like 30mins lookin for more buttons, then started throwing shit around..which moved a metal pice..which to my DELIGHT revealed a lovely vent cover...goddamn it, its always the simple things hey!

DavE0r said:
mine has to be the best. Whn yous in Nova Proskpets, and get to a large like blue combine barrier thing, and there is 3 turrets there..you got ur Antlions too..you take out the turrets..and then i was like, how the hell do i get from here. Went back around the prision for like 30mins lookin for more buttons, then started throwing shit around..which moved a metal pice..which to my DELIGHT revealed a lovely vent cover...goddamn it, its always the simple things hey!
I do believe that Alyxx tells you where the vent is.

Only thing i got stuck on in the game (for 10 minutes) was right before you get the machine gun mounted on the airboat...knew what i had to, just couldnt find enough weight to raise the ramp, then i found a hidden ladder around back...

Besides that, no trouble.

I got through almost every puzzle or bump in the road in the game with virtually no problems. It all seemed very easy to me. Or maybe I'm just smart.I did have a momentary stuck point where It took me a couple minutes to realize I needed to unlplug a forcefield. I tried making a hole through the foefield to crawl through with a table instead. And the dumbest one for me was when I first arrived at strider square and the sattelite lasers or whever they were were taking shots at me. I couldn't find the damn door to get off the street. I ran up and down that street over and over for 10 minutes before I finally saw it. I was about to give up and go online for the solution to how to get to the dang building. Felt pretty dumb. But then again someone was talking to me the whole time and kind of distracting me. (The whole time I was thinking "Go the f%@# away! I'm busy!")

I got stuck trying to "get to the horse". They kept on saying, "Let's follow Freeman". And I'm thinking, I don't know where the heck I'm supposed to go. The guys at the top of the bombed building (after you shoot several striders) just stood there and looked at you. Had to check these forums to find out that you walk across a beam then jump down. (Right before Dog lets you into the Citadel.)

Also got stuck on the big bridge where you have to make your way across on the underside to shut off the force field. I kept on looking for a way to the top side, only to realize (after reading this forum) that you have to just go back the way you came. Fortunately, there weren't many other spots like this in the game.

Not really a "Stuck" moment, but more like "Aww crap". After you gain control of the Antlions, I found myself shooting them occasionally out of sheer reaction. They'd pop out of the ground, then "Blamo"... dead antlion. I can only imagine what their fellow antlions were thinking. "Dude, you just shot my brother... but, that's ok because you have bugbait. Mmmmm...."

When you get command of several rebels, they tend not to listen long. When I was going into a particularly nasty situation, I'd point to a corner and press "c" once. They'd comply, and stand where I told them. That is, until I ran out and started fighting. They'd come right after me and end up getting killed. Stupid people.

I, too, didn't figure out what the big hammer thing was hitting the sand. At least, not until you had to turn them off to finish that level.

Cheers all....

I died once and ran out of time 3 times in a row up on the highest level in the final ending sequence... I felt like such an idiot when I finally figured out what to do, because it's what I had started doing the time I died, and never thought to try it again!

The thumpers too were a complete and total mystery to me until after I had gotten the bugbait and my antlions refused to enter the area that was being thumped.

When I finished the bunny hopping in the sandtraps bit, and the new level loaded, I didn't realise that I had to stop bunny hopping, and so I used my gravity gun to pull the supply crates over and started bunny hopping on those until the antlion guard showed up, at which point I was like "ah crap, what do I do now?" I felt like such an idiot when I get off the supply box while the guard still standing there alone and roaring, because ofcourse no horde of antlions sprung up around me (until the guard called them specifically).

OrrA said:
The only real problem i encountered while playing the game, well, I had many, but only 1 that i couldnt figure out on my own eventually.. and it was in the buggy level, where you have to put the batteries in the 3 slots.. i couldnt figure out what to do but I knew it had to do with those things..
After a while of running around everywhere trying to find something i missed and trying to drive over the wall somehow or using the grav gun to get it over, i started throwing random objects at the 3 battery slots, and once in a while id throw a battery not realising what it was, and a light would go green.. I'd go.. WOAH what did I do?? *keep throwing objects*. Then the light would turn red again when id manage to somehow get the battery out.. and back to green eventually.. then I gave up and came here for the answer.. hehe.. I felt pretty stupid.

same thing here, except i put two peices of sheet metal against the fence and turboed over it.

Feath said:
The other daft moment I had was turning off nearly every thumper on the coast. I thought "This is a combine machine, therefore it must be bad; so I'll turn it off". It was only until just before you get the bugbait that I realised what they did.

Me too. When the NPC told me to 'keep off the sand', the first thing in my mind was Dune (keep off the sand or get eaten by a sandworm...)! And then I saw the thumpers and I thought "The Combine are using these to summon the antlions! BAD Combine!".

Well, after getting the bugbait, I realized what they actually did. :rolleyes:

Maybe this is a bug but I just realised something else that happened to me during the game...when you get to the section where the rebels attatch a gun to your airboat (there are a few rebels and a vortigaunt) I had no idea where to go once they'd attatched the gun, because no one opened the gate in front of me, yet hey were saying "get moving dr freeman" etc. I was like, oh, that must be a wall in front of me, I need to turn around.....so I spent ages pottering around until by accident I came back to the "wall" and one of them randomly opened it. Grr.

Jpennin1 said:
When you first get in front of the building with the "death ray from above" I ran around in front of it for about 30 minutes trying to grav gun the only vehicle onto its side to try to climb over the fence because I saw no other way into the middle part of the courtyard.

Turns out that there is a door at the other end that I didn't see.
Yup. Me too.

I was also stuck for like 10 minutes with the blue barrels and the hovercraft.

As far as stacking things unnecessarily, my friend had the best one... in Ravenholm in the area where you have to move the upper platform over and then take the stairs in the back corner up to the roof of the building and make your way across the rooftops and such. Well he saw some barrels and crates at the very beginning of that area and wanted to get up on the roof to have a better line of sight to kill zombies, but that is the exit for that area! :LOL:. I was so pissed at him because I wasted so much ammo and health in that area and he just bypasses it all :p

Chadda said:

Me too! ;) I just shot it across the electrified water room with the gravity gun after repeated failure of picking it up and dropping it as I went along.

sorry for the double post but:
OnlyOneN said:
Not really a "Stuck" moment, but more like "Aww crap". After you gain control of the Antlions, I found myself shooting them occasionally out of sheer reaction. They'd pop out of the ground, then "Blamo"... dead antlion. I can only imagine what their fellow antlions were thinking. "Dude, you just shot my brother... but, that's ok because you have bugbait. Mmmmm...."
ROFL. That was the ****ing funniest thing I've heard in a long time. I've done that too, and the way you phrased everything is just hillarious. Like the poor antlions have to be wondering what the hell you're doing baiting them to you and then shooting them when they obey :LOL:

Back