Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Yay, more faux-roleplaying for children.

Hoping it's an improvement over Oblivion.

I don't care about the engine so much and would be happy enough with Oblivion + new stuff. You never know, it might not be terrible! ;)

I'm looking forward to it because it's a new land for me to explore and new people from me to steal from!

God, I hope there is a Thieves and Assassins guild again!

I'm looking forward to it because it's a new land for me to explore and new people from me to steal from!

I wonder what it says about me that with oblivion, f3, and f: nv I robbed everyone and from every settlement I discovered.

1233318180004.jpg

Ive never played an Elder Scrolls game before, so I'm interested in how this turns out. Dungeons, Dragons and Potions aren't really my thing, so if its another Gamebryo glitch-fest ill give it pass.

I can put up with some bugs and an antiquated engine from New Vegas, as i love the setting/theme and storyline - but this will have to be a 'tech5' game with minimal bugs to convert me to a day-one buyer. Especially with ME3 and Uncharted 3 released at the same time - games that are not only sure to be fun, but highly polished too.

I'm so glad they went with Skyrim. I loved Bloodmoon. In all likelihood, I'll probably ignore the Main Quest and just walk the earth, admiring the landscape and graphics.

I'm so glad they went with Skyrim. I loved Bloodmoon. In all likelihood, I'll probably ignore the Main Quest and just walk the earth, admiring the landscape and graphics.

I'm not really knowledgeable of the Elder Scrolls Lore or World. I basically just played Oblivion for the thieving, killing, exploring and the occasional side quest which tickled my fancy.

What's Skyrim like? More like the Oblivion world? Deserts? Snowy? Or don't we know?

I applaud your playstyle, Ren.182. In Oblivion, I was essentially a vagabond, and I intend to continue that fine tradition in TESV. Skyrim is an analogue for medieval Scandinavia. The Nords of Skyrim featured prominently in Bloodmoon, which I enjoyed more than Morrowind. Bring on the snow and forests!

I'm excited. I really enjoyed the expansive nature of oblivion and the guild quests were pretty awesome. It could also be very challenging.

It was a little bland. The massive world looked mostly the same no matter where you were (you needed mods to make it otherwise), the fact that "cities" only had about thirty people in them was very distracting and unimpressive. Even at places that were supposed to be emotional... it just felt awkward and wooden.

What I am hopping for:

Take a lesson in conversation from Mass Effect.

Base their cities off of Assassins Creed (or mass effect, now that I think about it... the difference is that in AC people move, in ME they really don't)

avoid the atrocious leveling system they had in the last game... It was frustrating to triumphantly acquire a deadric blade only for every bandit to suddenly start wielding them. (there were mods that fixed the leveling scale in Oblivion)

create a more immersive story.

Make it so that if you ignore the main quest Shit still goes down (at a slower rate maybe but stuff can happen without you being there) so you can chose to be the rallying hero or the Phoenix from the ashes. "Hey man, where were you when this scaled bastards were burning down our country?"... Answer: "I don't know... making gold and chasing wenches."

hnnnggg I'm psyched. Bethesda is a class act, regardless of Gamebryo.

I applaud your playstyle, Ren.182. In Oblivion, I was essentially a vagabond, and I intend to continue that fine tradition in TESV. Skyrim is an analogue for medieval Scandinavia. The Nords of Skyrim featured prominently in Bloodmoon, which I enjoyed more than Morrowind. Bring on the snow and forests!

Snow and forests sounds great. Looking forward to some nice big mountains and some great views :D

What I am hopping for:

Take a lesson in conversation from Mass Effect.

Base their cities off of Assassins Creed (or mass effect, now that I think about it... the difference is that in AC people move, in ME they really don't)

This would be awesome. Having to go through a city as populated as Assassins Creed trying to track down a target for the assassins guild would be great. Rather than having 1 of 5 targets to choose from which was usually the case in Oblivion. Having to talk to people who might have information about their whereabouts would be great too :D

avoid the atrocious leveling system they had in the last game... It was frustrating to triumphantly acquire a deadric blade only for every bandit to suddenly start wielding them. (there were mods that fixed the leveling scale in Oblivion)

I hope Bethesda fix this too.

Isn't Skyrim the frozen territory to the north where every 100 years (or whatever period of time) demons unfreeze and kill everything? I think I read a book in one of the mages guildhalls about it.

Uhh is there a source for this game using Gamebyro? I kind of doubt it since the company that created that engine went out of business and Zenimax recently purchased id. Who, you know, have idtech 5.

Howard mentioned in an interview a while back that they've got too much experience with the engine to just throw it all away.

And Sliver, idtech 5 isn't necessarily well suited for large open world games.

I'm not really knowledgeable of the Elder Scrolls Lore or World. I basically just played Oblivion for the thieving, killing, exploring and the occasional side quest which tickled my fancy.

What's Skyrim like? More like the Oblivion world? Deserts? Snowy? Or don't we know?

Thievery and archery are the real way to go in oblivion, in my opinion.

I loved hopping from rooftops at night as a Khajiit, breaking into someone's house, or murdering someone with a well placed arrow.

Thievery and archery are the real way to go in oblivion, in my opinion.

I loved hopping from rooftops at night as a Khajiit, breaking into someone's house, or murdering someone with a well placed arrow.

Archery was always underpowered though I felt :( Always had enemies still chasing me after they were full of arrows.

Potentially awesome news! Seems like we're going to be getting some fancy new graphics, with hopefully better animations and AI. Though, it could also mean a whole new bunch of game breaking bugs! (Hopefully not!)

I am ****ing psyched.
Skyrim was my favorite part of Morrowind.

Even more psyched that they may not be using Gamebryo.

Seems like we're going to be getting some fancy new graphics, with hopefully better animations and AI. Though, it could also mean a whole new bunch of game breaking bugs! (Hopefully not!)

Yes, we should wait and see, instead of jumping on the "Gamebryo sucks" wagon. Back in 2006 Oblivion was state of the art. I don't expect Skyrim to be less groundbreaking.

Oh they finally went for a new engine? At least that's good.

**** another 150 hrs of my life gone to video games :(

Based on what? A pre-rendered CGI cutscene? The game's still using Gamebryo.

"Seeing lots of speculation about #tesv game engine. It's brand new... and it's spectacular!"

now please get the **** out of this thread I'm sick of your shit always bitching about this or FO.

Why all the hate for Gamebryo? I think it's a decent engine considering all the things Fallout 3/NV had to take care of. What New Vegas had was just extremely poor game programming.

Open world games with lots of mechanics will never look/perform as good as railroad shooters, ****ing call of duty kids.
Everyone always complaining about graphics/performance makes me worry about the future of games like GTA, Fallout, TES and Arma.

Would like to see some gameplay from this new TES game.

"Seeing lots of speculation about #tesv game engine. It's brand new... and it's spectacular!"

now please get the **** out of this thread I'm sick of your shit always bitching about this or FO.

I'll believe it when I see it. If the engine is as spectacular as Oblivion's much vaunted Radiant AI I'll get the last laugh.

Besides, am I not allowed to be skeptical towards a company that churns out mediocre games marketed as the Second Coming of Christ?

new engine? thank god!

i'll keep an eye on this but oblivion bored me to tears (tho maybe i didn't give it a fair shake =/)

Given how successful the Brotherhood Questline was in the Oblivion do you think the Climbing Skill will be reintroduced from Daggerfall? I personally want to scale cliffedges and go spelunkin

Howard mentioned in an interview a while back that they've got too much experience with the engine to just throw it all away.

And Sliver, idtech 5 isn't necessarily well suited for large open world games.

They may have experience with it but they cant just keep using an (apparently) updated version of a last-gen engine. Sounds thoroughly unambitious to me - not to mention depressing as all that 'experience' gets us a flakey game every 2 years.

I cant believe that tech5, Carmack's latest and greatest is inferior in any way, shape or form to Gamebryo. It cant possibly handle a large open-world any less adequately than Gamebryo manages to - there's really no excuse for them not to use tech5

edit: Just seen twitter updates about a 'new' engine. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen some gameplay. It'll probably be the newest version of Gamebryo, you know, the one they just got out the door before they went bust that now incorporates support for multiple running animations to accompany 'forward' - such as 'sideways', 'uphill', 'downhill' and the all-new 'back-pedal'

Open world games with lots of mechanics will never look/perform as good as railroad shooters

True for most games but it can be done, we have a new benchmark in Red Dead Redemption. To balance all my Gamebryo hate though, i will say that when I finish a session of F3 or New Vegas I always save fast-travel somewhere scenic so when I next load the game ill get to see one of those lovely sunrises. Pretty ****ing sad of me, actually

I'd be happy if they just got rid of enemy scaling. It's retarded to do a late-game quest and get an awesome piece of armour only to fight a standard bandit who is wearing something twice as good. It'd also be nice if they somehow managed to import the charm of Morrowind without reverting to dice rolling combat.

Back