Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Besides, am I not allowed to be skeptical towards a company that churns out mediocre games marketed as the Second Coming of Christ?

Add "in my opinion" to that statement and you'll be fine.

What's so bad about dice rolls? If a game calls itself an RPG, then it should rely on character skill, not player skill.

I cant believe that tech5, Carmack's latest and greatest is inferior in any way, shape or form to Gamebryo. It cant possibly handle a large open-world any less adequately than Gamebryo manages to - there's really no excuse for them not to use tech5

idtech5 is only good for stagnant environments. Meaning no day/night cycles. That's reason enough not to use it in Skyrim.

While I suppose I should act sceptical and jaded, I actually somehow trust Bethesda to put out a decent game, and the Elder Scrolls series always brings happy memories.
So, since I love the games so much, and the greatest fun always comes from that first playthrough when you explore anything, I'll pledge to avoid any spoilers before I play the game through and spend at least fifty hours. So not even gameplay videos. Maybe the next trailer as a nice treat for myself.

While I suppose I should act sceptical and jaded, I actually somehow trust Bethesda to put out a decent game, and the Elder Scrolls series always brings happy memories.
So, since I love the games so much, and the greatest fun always comes from that first playthrough when you explore anything, I'll pledge to avoid any spoilers before I play the game through and spend at least fifty hours. So not even gameplay videos. Maybe the next trailer as a nice treat for myself.
Kinda this. It would be great fun to play it for the first time, to have never seen anything more than the images on the box. :> All the good things would be that much better.

Of course, bad things and shortcomings would be a surprise too. I think I'd rather it that way, if I'm honest. To decide for myself what the 'problems' are. Often, you don't really notice a flaw until someone points it out anyway.

Yay, more faux-roleplaying for children.

For sure bro, the only real way to roleplay is at a sky view with point and click gameplay, can't get anymore into character than that.

I'll believe it when I see it. If the engine is as spectacular as Oblivion's much vaunted Radiant AI I'll get the last laugh.

Besides, am I not allowed to be skeptical towards a company that churns out mediocre games marketed as the Second Coming of Christ?

I was so let-down by Oblivion's AI.

Which naturally makes me want to reserve any excitement about this particular game until later on.

Also: RPing singleplayer games is pretty forever_alone.jpeg

Keep reading the thread title as "Elder Scrolls V: Krynn".

Get out of here you f*cking dog.

For sure bro, the only real way to roleplay is at a sky view with point and click gameplay, can't get anymore into character than that.

nah Dawg it's all about pen&paper....

It better not take me 54 arrows to kill something this time.

I've never played an Elder Scrolls game to this day. The music in the trailer is cool though.

Now ain't you a bright cupcake, sweetie.

Roleplaying is not about perspective, the statement "first person perspective lets you get into the character better" is a false syllogism. There is nothing inherently better about FPP, on the contrary, as shown by Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, such a view is far more limiting, forcing small map sizes, small distances to travel and an overall compression of the playing area, just to accomodate FPS mechanics and conventions.

Second, if you actually cared to read my posts before, I've enumerated time and time again what I think is wrong with Bethesda's RPGs since Oblivion:

* Lack of meaningful choices and consequences - you can be everything in any guild, any military and any location
* Dumbed down character systems from previous games - especially painful in Oblivion, slightly less so in Fallout 3 where SPECIAL has a marginal effect on the gameplay (apart from lockpick and science)
* Poorly thought out storylines that violate logic and pre-estabilished rules of the setting
* Poorly written, voiced and modelled characters, especially painful after seeing the beautifully sculpted, voiced and written talking heads of Fallout 1/2
* Level scaling
* Generic fantasy setting ignoring previously estabilished lore about Tamriel - New Zealand pseudo-Gondor instead of a tropical jungle pseudo-Rome
* Negligible effect character skill has on gameplay, especially painful to see in Fallout 3, where higher weapon skill makes your bullets magically deal more damage
* Lack of freedom in roleplaying, forcing gamers to play pretend.

Those are my core complaints off the top of my head. I love Morrowind and Fallout 1/2. As I said, roleplaying is not about perspective, but about actual ****ing roleplaying.

Well, my list would be a hell of a lot longer than that, Tag, and I still put a few hundred hours into the game over the years. (I don't really like a lot of different kinds of games) With all the modding and shit you can do, it's limitless.

I might make my own 13 floor dungeon one day. Maybe I'll use Skyrim as a base instead. Please have mod tools, Beth.

VT2, do you not think Doom 3 is one of the greatest FPSes ever?

If you do, your opinion is moot in regards to all games!:p

such a view is far more limiting, forcing small map sizes, small distances to travel and an overall compression of the playing area, just to accomodate FPS mechanics and conventions.
That's pretty much wrong on everything.

Oblivion was not limited, did not have small map sizes, small distances to travel and compression of playing area.

I will say that the field of view was much too narrow. You could change it, but it was still pretty 'off looking'. You can still play the game alright, but it's like having blinders on:
Ptk51.jpg

VT2, do you not think Doom 3 is one of the greatest FPSes ever?

If you do, your opinion is moot in regards to all games!:p
No. I just don't think it deserved so much hate. HL2 was just that much better. And I compare them because they came out in a similar launch window.

But when I hammered the airlock button and the door opened out on to Mars surface, with the dust storm raging and a ****ing plasma rifle pulsing, breathing heavy through the oxygen tank, ready to kick some alien demon ass, there was this indescribable feeling that I may never forget. I think that says something.

Also...
I think I just enjoyed it more because my mod had elements that I would have personally used if I was making the game. You can't really get any better than that. It's like a painter painting what he likes, or a musician making a song. It might not be his favorite painting or song but it would be using elements he loved, if you follow.

If you don't follow, I changed the game and got to choose the gameplay, the sounds, the graphics, the enemies (the way the looked, sounded, and fought), the music, the item location, the weapon specifics, the physics, etc. Everything and anything. It was a very cool experience because I always wanted to make my own First Person game.

But I think it would be much easier to make your own level in Oblivion, and its obviously more tailored for a sword and magic dungeon game. (I saw that some guy made an RPG out of Doom 3 and it just didn't work well)

Full disclosure: I also spent a lot of work on my Oblivion mod, making my own sound kit and enemies, etc. So yeah, after you invest something of yourself into a project, it of course adds more to the experience. And if I remember correctly, Tagaziel made a huge mod for Fallout, so there's his baby.

I am ****ing psyched.
Skyrim was my favorite part of Morrowind.

Even more psyched that they may not be using Gamebryo.

That might as well mean it won't run on your computer.

Compared to Arcanum, it does have small map size, small distances to travel and the area is compressed. It's even more apparent in Fallout 3.

I can't get any sense of scale from that image, sorry. I'll take your word for it. But Oblivion was not smaller because it was FPS, it was smaller because it was the right size for the game. It was the size they chose. It was a streaming game so they could have made it any size they chose. If you look at the overworld map link below, Morrowind was there on the edge... I would argue the size of the map was already chosen back when Morrowind was made, or whatever.

I never once felt the world was too small. Although I will admit that there was some sort of hot spot suspiciously at certain distances from each other. If I walked in a certain direction for a little while, I would be surprised if I didn't find a location showing up on my radar soon.

Oblivion map [all locations]: http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20101118201009/oblivion/images/0/01/OblivionGateMap.jpg

Sure, if you boost your speed faster than a horse, it doesn't take long to travel.

itt: lack of Max von Sydow appreciation.

I just hope they improve A.I. Archery is a perfect example. Hit an enemy with an arrow and they just keep charging you until you kill them. M1 + S is not fun. Virtually all melee games do this but that's not an excuse imo.

They need cooler spells, like Root, light/holy spells, blood drain, etc.

Weapons need what's called a proc: Chance on hit of their enchantment effect. Currently, weapon spell effect hits every time. If they want to keep that shit so bad, it needs to be less than 1 damage, and it needs to hit every time you swing it, no charge. Make that weapon special and hard to find then, damn. Catch everything on fire with fire sword, **** up some shit every swing. I don't care if it adds more damage, the game was easy as it was. It just looked so cool, and as much as I played the game, I barely got to see it. Or, make it a proc and have it just do the enchantment randomly. 1% chance on hit, 5%, depending on the weapon. **** recharging things all the time. Game seriously hampered by tedium of inventory.

Honestly, I would change a lot of the uniqueness of this game. It's absolute dead weight that needs to be thrown out of the plane, IMO. But I would also bring back some of the uniqueness that it has lost, like: Unarmored, Medium Armor, and Spears.

I hope they bring back the segmented pieces of armor.
Bracers, pauldrons, gauntlets, etc.

What's so bad about dice rolls? If a game calls itself an RPG, then it should rely on character skill, not player skill.

You never played Morrowind without using skill potions to up your melee, did you? Whacking away at a mudcrab for five minutes and only hitting it twice in that timeframe is not a fun time when your stabby thing of choice is clearly going right through it. Even Oblivion's system of "if you hit it, you hit it" doesn't require player skill, just enough hand eye coordination to make sure the little crosshair is on the bad guy and you're kind of close when you push the button. Not to mention that dice rolls don't involve skill anyway, just a certain degree of reputation with the RNG gods.

A fun thing to bring back would be the ability to kill anyone, though. They can keep the little icon showing that it's an important story person, just let me kill them if I choose since they're already going to be pissed at me for stealing everything in their house that isn't nailed down or on fire, assuming they get rid of omnipotent guards, anyway.

STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM.

I hope the guards don't see EVERYTHING too. And shops shouldn't know if anything you sell are stolen goods, unless you get caught stealing it.

You never played Morrowind without using skill potions to up your melee, did you? Whacking away at a mudcrab for five minutes and only hitting it twice in that timeframe is not a fun time when your stabby thing of choice is clearly going right through it. Even Oblivion's system of "if you hit it, you hit it" doesn't require player skill, just enough hand eye coordination to make sure the little crosshair is on the bad guy and you're kind of close when you push the button. Not to mention that dice rolls don't involve skill anyway, just a certain degree of reputation with the RNG gods.

A fun thing to bring back would be the ability to kill anyone, though. They can keep the little icon showing that it's an important story person, just let me kill them if I choose since they're already going to be pissed at me for stealing everything in their house that isn't nailed down or on fire, assuming they get rid of omnipotent guards, anyway.

Actually, I've never played Morrowind using potions. Every point of every attribute and every skill in every playthrough was achieved without alchemy. Not hitting never bothered me, as if your character has a poor skill, then (surprise, surprise) he will miss a lot. Character skill in an RPG should be the most important element of combat, otherwise, you're creating a shooter/hack'n'slash with minor stat progression. Furthermore, you've never played an actual pen-and-paper RPG, do you? Dice rolls are always affected by modifiers, such as character skill, enemy armour class etc. It's never just a random dice roll.

Second, why have important characters? Why shouldn't the game be structured in a way that doesn't require anyone to be alive in order to complete it?

I hate the kind of gameplay that lets you swing and miss at things due to a die roll. Its one of the (many) reasons I hate most MMORPGs, because I hate just repeatedly doing something over and over until I happen to get enough good die rolls to hit him several times, or I die. Stupidest gameplay mechanic I've ever seen, and I don't get how people are ok with it.

What SHOULD happen, is enemies have a dodge skill, or dexterity attribute which lets the avoid hits, both in the mechanics of the game and the visuals. Harder enemies are harder to hit, NOT because you need a higher die roll to connect, but because they have a better chance at avoiding your attacks. This could be expanded to where certain attacks decrease the effectiveness of certain dodge maneuvers, where a horizontal slice, while doing small amounts of damage is very difficult to avoid, and thrusts deal massive damage while being very easy to avoid/deflect. I'm ok with die rolls on most things, like spell casting, enchantments triggering on hits, healing, etc, but its really quite obnoxious in a visual medium to have your sword go through a guy because apparently you suck at swordsmanship so bad that even when you hit, you don't hit.

I get what you're saying Krynn. You want the visual aspect of the combat to reflect you actual performance. seeing the sword pass though the enemy and then doing no damage.

Back